What i miss from this game

in Lore

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

I don’t realy know much about the GW lore

but I miss the Demons from this game

are there ANY in the GW universe ? not talking about fire elementals.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Demons in the GW-verse can simply be stated to be “creatures born directly from the Mists.” There’s a wide variety of them – torment creatures were the most common in GW1, and the only ones we meet in GW2 are imps (which in GW1 we didn’t know were demons).

Demons are a rather interesting group in GW, IMO. They’re born most often as incomplete copies of other species by the Mists – the origin of all things – and their diet is souls and magic (much like the Elder Dragons in the latter case). They strive for absolute anarchy and are drawn to the lands of the living to spread said anarchy.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

Hey, born directly from the mists are also Aatxes or Shades, and they are nightmares, not demons :P

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Actually, not true. Nightmares appear to be souls that are full of negative emotions (the situation isn’t very clear, and the only hint of them being souls is in GW1 where they all have a “swoosh” sound when fighting melee and this quest – which would mean Aatxes and Shades are twisted (?) souls, which aren’t physical beings like demons.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightmare

you shouldn’t deny someone’s theory so easily, when the situation isn’t very clear.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You’re linking a fan-made article, and using that to argue against characters in the game calling what are mechanically Nightmares as spirits?

I don’t mean to sound harsh if I am, but using the wiki, unless it is copying verbatim (usually dialogue or blog posts/other out-of-game lore documents), is not a good choice as anyone can edit them and falsify the information – be it via speculation or just misinterpretation (or intentional vandalism that goes unnoticed even). It happens pretty frequently, actually. And there’s really only… three or so common editors, myself included, who focus on improving the lore parts of the official wikis.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

Actually, lets think, what nightmares really are? I think the “souls that are full of negative emotions” fits them perfectly, so why don’t you agree about Aatxes and Shades being them?

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Your argument is flawed cause you said “I think”. Konig is using this to dispute your arguments. Lore discussion of in game facts to build theories more facts = greater support of augment. Konig is just saying you need to use better sources to base your conclusions on. Major misconception of lore is it is not a “what if scenarios” but a clear logical progression.

One quick question: If part of the definition of demon is that they are born from the mists if they then populate/or are able to populate in Tyria are they no longer considered demons? I know there was a Char breading them in GW1

(edited by Fafnir.5124)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I don’t think that we know for certain that Fleshreavers are “demons” persay. Although it definitely seems like they either originate from the mists or have a population base coming through from there.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Actually, lets think, what nightmares really are? I think the “souls that are full of negative emotions” fits them perfectly, so why don’t you agree about Aatxes and Shades being them?

What I was denying was your comment that they are born from the Mists. You have nothing to support such a claim – and a fan-written wiki article stating that they “originate from the Mists” is no support at all.

If you read my posts, I stated that they are heavily hinted to be souls full of negative emotions, so I’m not in disagreement about Aatxes and shades being nightmares. If that’s what you were saying which it sounds. In fact, as I said above, nightmares in GW1 make “swoosh” sounds when fought in melee – I was referring specifically to aatxes. And I never once argued shades weren’t souls either. I never argued aatxes and shades were neither nightmares nor souls – just that they weren’t demons nor born directly from the mists as your original post claimed:

Hey, born directly from the mists are also Aatxes or Shades, and they are nightmares, not demons :P

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

You are right, I don’t know any proper source saying that Aatxes are born from the mists. I searched the manuals but didn’t find anything particular.

in Lore

Zoltreez.6435

sooo watching this thread I think I can say there isn’t any real worthwile demon/demons in GWs world.

seeing as even people that loves lore allot cant seem to actualy finde one that is 100% a demon not just assumptions that its a demon.

I miss these guys from here.
http://diehardgamefan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Darksiders_II_OnlineReview_Samael.jpg

a real letdown for a player that seriously love demons.

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

(edited by Zoltreez.6435)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Quite the opposite, Zoltreez- every one of us agrees that these are demons. The debate here is how far that definition can be spread.

And since we’re kinda beating around the bush, here is the GW definition of demon, verbatim from the Nightfall manuscripts:

“Outside the world we know, other dimensions exist, realms beyond what we can see and experience. Civilized humans know that when they die, their souls pass on into the Mists, the realm of the afterlife. Some spirits linger in this world, or find ways to walk back into the realm of flesh…yet there are other creatures who watch them and wait, drawn to the energy of countless souls.

Sometimes souls are not enough. In dimensions alien to the physical world, sentient entities scheme of ways to enter the realm of flesh, dreaming of the havoc they can wreak. Just as ghosts can defy death by returning to the land of the living, demons find ways into our world, where they feast on suffering, despair, and the vital energy of intelligent creatures.

Demons are more than creatures of the Mists—they are made from the Mists themselves, bits of etheric matter that have gained malignant sentience and power. Whether they appear as monstrous humanoids, bestial abominations, or radically inhuman horrors, they share many of the same aspirations: the strong consume or dominate the weak, reveling in their feasts and victimization. As they are not native to the real world, demons hold an abiding hatred of its denizens. They are also ruthlessly intelligent, more than willing to enter into arrangements that allow them to routinely prey on humans and other foolish living creatures. "

So, in short a demon is a creature that is A.) Made from the Mists themselves, B.) From the Mists, C.) Sentient, intelligent, and hateful of life, D.) Feed on negative emotions and vital energy of living beings, and E.) Desire to enter the physical world.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Zoltreez.6435

oh those are nice but are there any in GW2 yet ? did not done 100% completion yet so not saw everything.
btw are there any more ordinary looking demons ?

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Honestly, I loved how bizarre the torment creatures were… but no, there are none yet in-game. Imps are effectively your cliche demon look, with fire/ice/shadow effects mixed in, but any imp that’s under veteran rank is rather unimpressive, so don’t expect the same difficulty as you’d find in demons in other games.

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

Zoltreez, you may enjoy Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Ah, the Shadow Behemoth… unfortunately, we don’t know near enough about it to say rather it technically qualifies as a demon or not, only that it is hostile, from the Underworld, and appears to be the same sort of creature as the Aatxe, which may or may not be nightmares- mechanical groupings are not a reliable indicator of how things are in the story.

in Lore

Sublimatio.6981

I’m just letting him know what may interest him, according to his picture

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m pretty sure that the Shadow Behemoth counts as a Nightmare, not a demon.

Traditional “demons from Hell” don’t exist in the GW-verse, given there is no location called Hell. The closest to such a location is the Realm of Torment from Nightfall, and the closest to natural inhabitants you got there were the previously linked Torment creatures.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Zoltreez.6435

I’m pretty sure that the Shadow Behemoth counts as a Nightmare, not a demon.

Traditional “demons from Hell” don’t exist in the GW-verse, given there is no location called Hell. The closest to such a location is the Realm of Torment from Nightfall, and the closest to natural inhabitants you got there were the previously linked Torment creatures.

yeeeeet we have angels ? dwayna.

anyway shadow behemoth is noting like a demon in my opinion. but yeah I like that boss sad that its soooo pathetic just a giant lootbag that dont talks and without personaility.

well il hope they once implement Realm of Torment in here crossing fingers.

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

(edited by Zoltreez.6435)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

By “angels” do you mean “two winged female goddesses”? Then yes. By “angel” do you mean “etheric winged women that are the avatars of Dwayna”? Then yes. By “angel” do you mean “divine beings of heaven that are genderless and born from light”? Then no – even to just the “divine beings of heaven” (only of that we got are “gods”).

The terms “angel” and “demon” are indeed used in the game – but like norn, asura, and so many other things they do not mean the same as your standard fantasy or the origin of the words.

On the Shadow Behemoth – I think it’d lose its quality if it talked, truth be told. I don’t think there’s a single Nightmare out there that talks, come to think of it.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

There’s that one Underworld portal skill challenge where they showcase their malicious nature:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Portal

- A voice whispers in your head, “We witnessed the birth of this world, we will witness its demise. We are the undying.”
- “What do you want from me?”
- The whisper continues, “Show us your strength. We will grant no leniancy, but defeat us, and be greatly rewarded.”
- I am up for the challenge.

- The whisper is inaudible, but you sense malicious glee.

Regarding angels; I think Dwayna’s angels are a race of females and males. Queen Jennah compares Logan to an angel of Dwayna sent to her side to protect her (if you talk to her in the final instance of the lvl 20-30 storysteps). Probably they are the real Seraph – as a racial name.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Quite possibly a evolutionary ancestor of the Harpy based on Elonian lore.