What is the Deep Sea Dragon's Name?

in Lore

Posted by: VeaR.4286

VeaR.4286

We have Primordus, Jormag, Kralkatorrik, Zhaitan and Mordremoth. As much as I love Bubbles, I’d really like to know the name of the last elder dragon.

As Kasmeer and Marjory have gone to the Durmand Priory to research dragons, it might be a good time to introduce/learn the name of the Deep Sea Dragon’s name, since the Priory would be the perfect place to find it. It would surely be good for the commander of the Pact, which was set up to fight the dragons, to know the dragons’ names, right? I just don’t want it to end up like Mordremoth, where the PC just randomly said the name.

I realise that they might even leave the DSD as the last one, but it could just be something for us to put in the back of our minds. Is it possible to get a response from Anet or am I in the wrong place?

in Lore

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

Developers seldom reply to the lore threads. Of course they do occasionally, but I wouldn’t have any high hopes.
No matter how they reveal Bubbles’ real name, I’m sure they’ll do it in a better way than what they did with Mordy. The lore community was in outrage back then, and it didn’t go unnoticed

(What I don’t understand is why they didn’t go back and change the revelation of his name – now that we have the repeatable story instances)

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Presumably the Priory don’t know the dragons name. If they did there wouldn’t be a good reason for players to not know it.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

We’ll have to wait till our character and co. pull the name out of nowhere again.

in Lore

Posted by: TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

TheReaperTheFourthHorsemen.7894

they got Mordremoth’s name from ancient dwarven text

my fate is my own, I will not be Mordremoth’s slave!- Ezonos Nightbriar

in Lore

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

If I remember correctly, the name of the Deep Sea Dragon is unknown to keep the seas mysterious and dangerous.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Lore

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

If I were to guess, it would be some form of levithan, or Krakken, to keep in with the theme of a deep sea terror.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m surprised Zommoros doesn’t know. If he was around long enough to know about the Karka, he’s certainly been around through more than one Elder Dragon rising.

in Lore

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

He is a she and her name is Ariel the Little Mermaid! D;

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Theoretically, the deep sea dragon could have a name for itself that is like whale sound.

in Lore

Posted by: VeaR.4286

VeaR.4286

Developers seldom reply to the lore threads. Of course they do occasionally, but I wouldn’t have any high hopes.
No matter how they reveal Bubbles’ real name, I’m sure they’ll do it in a better way than what they did with Mordy. The lore community was in outrage back then, and it didn’t go unnoticed

(What I don’t understand is why they didn’t go back and change the revelation of his name – now that we have the repeatable story instances)

kitten , well at least they’ll do it properly when the time comes (Hope its soon)

in Lore

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

It’s Bubbles the Good, Friendliest Dragon of All. She has Merry Mermare Minions of Mirth and Magic that wander Tyria’s oceans cleaning up excess ambient magic, thus helping to keep the world a joyful and friendly place for everyone.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I’m surprised Zommoros doesn’t know. If he was around long enough to know about the Karka, he’s certainly been around through more than one Elder Dragon rising.

If Djinn were even around at that time, they wouldn’t be on Tyria. Djinn are only native to Elona.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If Djinn were even around at that time, they wouldn’t be on Tyria. Djinn are only native to Elona.

The flaw in your logic is that Elder Dragons are not limited to continental Tyria. The deep sea dragon and Jormag both were not on continental Tyria when they woke – Jormag has pushed south into Tyria, however.

Furthermore, there’s indications that Zhaitan was not always where he was, given the fact that Arah was used to cleanse Glint’s corruption (would the Forgotten do that under an Elder Dragon’s nose, in the heart of its territory? No.).

Also, the Elder Dragons are stated on many occasions to be world enders, of sorts. They wiped all life from the world in the past. Being in Elona would not save you from the Elder Dragons’ consumption.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Probably a version of an old religion serpent or sea monster like Scylla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla) or Serra (http://www.mythicalcreatureslist.com/mythical-creature/Serra).

The DSD’s current role seems to be blocking passage into Cantha and invading and corrupting the depths of the unending oceans. The blocking passage part is very similar to Scylla.

In Greek Myth (Homer’s Odyssey), there was a giant whirlpool called Charybdis which was in an Ocean Strait (people are not sure which), Scylla would be on the opposite side ready to prey on sailors who sailed too close to Scylla when trying to avoid Charybdis. This seems to fit DSD quite nicely in terms of function at least, so maybe the name of DSD would be similar to Scylla?

Maybe they would mix Scylla with another old sea serpent, Leviathan. Could end up with Scylliathan? Just thinking Scylla is a little short considering the names of the other dragons are fairly long phonetically speaking and have a sense of omen to their name.

(edited by Pyriel.4370)

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Jormag’s pretty short and sweet.

in Lore

Posted by: ainekitten.9517

ainekitten.9517

Cthulhu! (I wish)

Rata Sum = Mursaat
Wake up, Tyria!

in Lore

Pyriel.4370

Jormag’s pretty short and sweet.

Yup, but the phonetic of it lengthens the name.

Scylla is very short sounding, phonetic wise, either way, it is a shot in the kind of dark, only evidence we have is the first letter lol so I am very likely to be wrong on this.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

At this point, conjecture and supposition are great, but do we really care about the name of something we aren’t probably going to have to deal with for another 2 or 3 years?

in Lore

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

The DSD’s name apparently begins with an “S”, according to Wooden Potatoes’s insight.

So, with that in mind, we should begin looking into myths for villainous figures that begin with “S” and maybe have some cultural relevance to cultures the sentient sea people’s are based on.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think people here realized the S bit before WP. He likes to present things found by the community without attribution – which itself is fine… Until people begin attributing the find to him.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Invidia.9074

Invidia.9074

I go a hunch it will be some name with an Arabic-like feel to it, since we have Largos whose names follow the same convention, and who can be one of the first living races that probably have met the effects of his corruption. I doubt the quaggans named it, or we’ll end with a Slooblupppplupp, even worse than Spongebob or Steve…

in Lore

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

His name is Scourge of the Unending Ocean!
Snake of the deep sea!
Serpent of the dark below!
Slitherer beneath the deep depths!
Sinker of sea vessels!
Siren of the Undersea!
Sultan of the salty seas!

Bonus points if you read that in an escalating pirate voice.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in Lore

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

I go a hunch it will be some name with an Arabic-like feel to it, since we have Largos whose names follow the same convention, and who can be one of the first living races that probably have met the effects of his corruption. I doubt the quaggans named it, or we’ll end with a Slooblupppplupp, even worse than Spongebob or Steve…

I doubt they’d have 2 Elder Dragons named after Arabic references or having Arabic-like feel as you would say. We already have Zaihtan which is derived from the Arabic word Shaitan which is the Arabic word for Devil. Some people actually think Shaitan is Arabic for Satan but that would actually be Iblees. Anyways, they already had Orr names being of Arabic origin so I think they’d stick with a differet style for the DSD.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

@Xukavi

Shaytan can be devil, THE devil and Iblis.
As for the Satan/Shaytan thing, the assumption isn’t quite wrong since Shaytan is the equivalent to Satan. The problem is that Christianity has a very vague concept of what/who Satan is… so I can’t blame anyone. :P

Anyways, while it’s possible that the DSD was ‘named’ by/after Largos who have an arabic theme, IMO it’s even more likely that it was named after the theme of the krait who have a Greek and Latin motif (and prolly threw a ‘ss’ into the name) since it’s been mentioned several times in the game that it awoke in their home.

Though yeah, guess we gotta wait a long time before we find out for real. ;P

(edited by ElysianEternity.6215)

in Lore

Posted by: Panamania.1450

Panamania.1450

We have Primordus, Jormag, Kralkatorrik, Zhaitan and Mordremoth. As much as I love Bubbles, I’d really like to know the name of the last elder dragon.

Its probably something like xX360noscopeAnetrulez#cantstopwontstopbestdragon2014mlgprominecraftmw3bo2WoWsuxlolololololXx

All your RNG are belong to us!!

in Lore

Pyriel.4370

I wonder if Anet just put in that letter and decided to let the community figure out a name and then base the real name on that to be lazy? :P

in Lore

Posted by: GscGunner.2419

GscGunner.2419

I wonder if Anet just put in that letter and decided to let the community figure out a name and then base the real name on that to be lazy? :P

I think i would appreciate a community chosen name, or at least like a part of it. Then AN can wrap around the stuff where the name actually came from etc etc. i really wouldn’t mind and would only show their communication and dedication to the forums.

in Lore

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

#confirmed
/15characters

Attachments:

Incursiön [iN]

in Lore

Pyriel.4370

I think i would appreciate a community chosen name, or at least like a part of it. Then AN can wrap around the stuff where the name actually came from etc etc. i really wouldn’t mind and would only show their communication and dedication to the forums.

Thinking about it, yeh! Would be cool for the community to name the dragon and impact lore and game experience in such a way of influencing the naming of a character

in Lore

Dondagora.9645

I think people here realized the S bit before WP. He likes to present things found by the community without attribution – which itself is fine… Until people begin attributing the find to him.

Ah, sorry about that. My bad on the wrongful attribution.

in Lore

Dondagora.9645

Largos seem to have Greek connections, given Tethyos Houses seem to play off a Greek Sea Goddess, Tethys. In which case, we can look for entities in Greek Myth which begin with S.

Perhaps they’ll use an alternative spelling of Cetus[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetus].

(edited by Dondagora.9645)

in Lore

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

@Xukavi

As for the Satan/Shaytan thing, the assumption isn’t quite wrong since Shaytan is the equivalent to Satan. The problem is that Christianity has a very vague concept of what/who Satan is… so I can’t blame anyone. :P

Anyways, while it’s possible that the DSD was ‘named’ by/after Largos who have an arabic theme, IMO it’s even more likely that it was named after the theme of the krait who have a Greek and Latin motif (and prolly threw a ‘ss’ into the name) since it’s been mentioned several times in the game that it awoke in their home.

Well yea, its not exactly wrong but some people usually take it as a word for word translation and that it means Satan. It is regularly used as the word for Devil or The Devil as you stated and rarely used to refer to Satan himself. Anyways that aside, I do believe that his name would follow a different theme than Arabic.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

in Lore

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

@Xukavi

Well yea, its not exactly wrong but some people usually take it as a word for word translation and that it means Satan. It is regularly used as the word for Devil or The Devil as you stated and rarely used to refer to Satan himself. Anyways that aside, I do believe that his name would follow a different theme than Arabic.

The term Satan is actually hebrew for Adversary (http://www.bibletopics.com/BibleStudy/164.htm) and while it is primarily associated with “the devil” it can refer to anyone/anything standing as an adversary.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Perhaps the Elder Dragon’s name is….. Shing Jea?…..

It has an S in it and as for not matching the Largos’s language: Do you honestly believe that the Elder Dragons didn’t name themselves!?!

(edited by Mickey Frogeater.1470)

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Well, if it’s Greek, Scylla is plausible. Or, corrupted versions of names like Seto or Scyrybdys

But actually, it’s Serendipity

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

DSD will be revealed during Wintersday and its name is Santa.

in Lore

Posted by: Zilong.1407

Zilong.1407

I’m going to keep calling it Bubbles regardless of its official name. I mean really how is “no amount of fire from our cannons could harm the mighty Bubbles” not hilarious.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Seem to remember this from somewhere else, but given its name apparently begins with S and has had the pet name Bubbles; what if we were close (except for 1 letter) all along with the real name being an anagram like Sebulba…

We even got these Adventurer’s Spectacles coming into this new region… coincidence?

The plot thickens! :P

Attachments:

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Correct me if im wrong. but dont we know the first letter in there name now? We could probably use that to make some guesses based on the naming scheme of the other dragons.

Ghost Yak

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

The Durmand Priory believe its name begins with an S, but it could also be something else because of issues with translating the old scripts…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Zunar.4958

Zunar.4958

Well in this topic of the deep sea dragon i was looking at this picture of the elder dragon orbs and their marked with the letter that represents their names and on the upper left there is a blue orb with an S on it and iv looked up tones of dragon names that start with S i even looked at some dragon movies i’l leave a link here so that you people can see which name suits your theories
http://www.kismetrose.com/dnd/CharacterNamesS.html

Attachments:

(edited by Zunar.4958)

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

1. We’ve already known the name starts wth an S.
  2. The link you’ve sent doesn’t provide the names of the currently known Guild Wars 2 Elder Dragons (Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Jormag, Primordus) so it has zero credibility to provide the name of the still unknown Deep Sea Dragon.
  3. You necro’d a 1 year old thread to add a futile post. (imho)

Now I’m not saying I don’t appreciate your effort of finding a suitable name for the DSD, I just can’t get behind this.

DnD -/→ DSD.

My apologies.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Severus. Severus Snape.

in Lore

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

On a serious note, I could see it being something similar to Scylla as that is the hydra beast from Greek Myth. “Terror of the deep.”

in Lore

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Since the ocean is the most dangerous biome with the most dangerous animals it should be saved for last. Then again we would have hit Jormag second if that were the case as jungle animals are more dangerous than tundra. Or maybe second last since underground and lava are even more dangerous.

in Lore

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

A female sounding name like Scylla would be cool.

I’m sure Elder Dragons don’t really have gender, but Zhaitan and Mordy have always seemed male to me.

in Lore

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

Hmmm- It was somewhat revealed that the Elder Dragon in the waters name begins with the letter ‘S’—(assumption, but we will run with it)
And some of the underwater weapons I personally use are of Inuit carvings- (Killer whale)- I might say the name : Sedna, goddess of the sea—from Inuit mythology— It’s an English translation, but wasn’t Tyrian translated to English by our lore gurus anyhow?

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

in Lore

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

The hinted picture of it had 3 heads if I remember correctly. That might play into its name.