What order would a follower of Abaddon choose

in Lore

Posted by: TheMagicFace.9854

TheMagicFace.9854

So one of my characters has a sort of personal lore that I came up with in that he is essentially a scholar/ritualist of Abaddon(Mallyx-Revenant) and is trying to discover ancient magic/history involving Abaddon.

What order would fit in with this the most? My mind is saying The Order of Whispers because they’re master manipulators and keepers of secrets, as Abaddon would be.

But then again the Priory has a massive bronze statue of Abaddon as well as an even more massive library with several tomes and scrolls on what he did as well as ancient rituals not known by the Order of Whispers.

I’m stumped here. Any GW1 lore followers have an ideas here?

in Lore

Posted by: Inc.4753

Inc.4753

Although the Priory indeed has a nice statue and decent library, the Order of Whispers has been heavily involved with the defeat of Abaddon 250 years ago and are known to have been investigating him as early as a century before that. The choice seems obvious to me.

in Lore

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

I’d say go with the Priory since they’re more likely to look at Abaddon with a positive and interested view rather than the Order of Whispers who fought against him.

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

in Lore

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

It’s been established that the Order of Whispers steals knowledge from the Priory, so why not make it a double agent? Fits even more into the whole Abaddon theme because he was the god of Secrets, and acted against the will of other gods.

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

The Order of Whispers would probably be my first choice. Sure, the priory is all about knowledge, but only the OoW seems to be interested in SECRET knowledge. While the order probably keeps mostly “public access” information, the Order would be more likely to buy, sell, trade, or withhold information as a weapon or commodity. Plus, the OoW would give you a little more freedom for personal lore, since you can always go the secret agent route. Infiltrate the Priory to feed any new information to the Order and whatnot. In game, it’s impossible to practice, of course, but then so is choosing Abaddon as your deity of choice. The best you can get is Kormir, who is pretty much the same role in a shiny new eyeless body.

And while the seemed to invest at least a little interest in helping you stop the return of Abaddon in GW1, I don’t think that was ever really a primary tenant of their order. Having a mad god rise and torment the world is bad for everyone, but that doesn’t mean you can’t respect what he stood for while he was sane.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

(edited by Squee.7829)

in Lore

Posted by: Agroman.7190

Agroman.7190

I don’t see why a real follower of Abaddon would pick ANY order, because he would basically be an antagonist if not outlaw. Perhaps indeed the Order of Whispers, a known enemy of Abaddon, if he feels like it’s a good idea to infiltrate them (it’s most likely not).

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’s been mentioned, actually, that the Priory does keep some information secret, and some (including Dougal Keane) believe they keep too much secret.

The Priory would thus be the obvious choice, in my mind. It has the focus on knowledge, and of the two more information-based orders it’s the one that’s most likely not to jump straight to murderous intent on discovering that a member is a follower of Abaddon. You’d get some strange looks, but the Priory might be willing to accept someone with an unhealthy fascination with Abaddon as long as they didn’t appear to be looking to summon demons into the world (well, more than Mallyx revenants already are…)

The OoW would be more of an ‘infiltrate the enemy’-type operation. While the Priory is largely apolitical, religiously neutral, and focused on knowledge for knowledge’s sake, the Order of Whispers has a long memory and a mandate that it takes seriously. It’s likely that the Master of Whispers and other higher-ups are familiar with Nightfall and regard Abaddon as a defeated enemy they’d prefer not to risk returning, and anyone who worships Abaddon would thus be regarded as a threat to their mandate and treated accordingly.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: TheMagicFace.9854

TheMagicFace.9854

Thanks for the replies all! I love me some good lore. +1 FOR EVERBODY!
I ended up going with the Priory. Draxynnic pretty much hit the nail on the head.
To be honest though, Abaddon’s doing aren’t really ever mentioned in GW2 aside from a book in the Priory Basement. Through the story he’s always mentioned as a “god that’s been forgotten”. My guess is after his memory was wiped from history, 250 years later, only the order of whispers and a few Priory members would know what he had actually done and how dangerous he and his acolytes actually were.

(edited by TheMagicFace.9854)

in Lore

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

This seems a perfect place to mention that I’ve managed, by bug, to make a character join both the Priory and the OoW!

I picked OoW, then joined a friend playing through the LA meeting w DE. They had a character of the same race that had chosen Priory. They were the instance owner, and I accepted progress at the end. The following stories were a bit of a mess, the 50 chapter randomly having Sieran or Tybalt in the instances, but I now have full access to both the Priory basement and the OoW sanctum including both sets of armor/weapon merchants!

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Unless things changed, you could pretty much get access to the inner sanctums of all of the orders sometime after the Pact forms.

Getting access to both sets of armor/weapon merchants is convenient, though. You can pretty much bypass it nowadays through the wardrobe system (they’re all rares anyway, so it’s the skin you’re really interested in), but still…

Regarding Abaddon and history: I don’t think he got wiped from history after the events of Nightfall. However, it’s now two hundred and fifty years later – it’s probably not something that many people care much about unless they’re particularly interested in history, human theology, and/or related topics.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

Agroman.7190

My guess is after his memory was wiped from history, 250 years later, only the order of whispers and a few Priory members would know what he had actually done and how dangerous he and his acolytes actually were.

His memory wasn’t wiped from history. That was over 1300 years ago. Nowadays, Abaddon’s story is well known and even part of the basic religious texts of Kormir.

in Lore

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

My guess is after his memory was wiped from history, 250 years later, only the order of whispers and a few Priory members would know what he had actually done and how dangerous he and his acolytes actually were.

His memory wasn’t wiped from history. That was over 1300 years ago. Nowadays, Abaddon’s story is well known and even part of the basic religious texts of Kormir.

Where can you find these “basic religious tenets”? and not just for Kormir…

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I don’t know if they’re in GW2, but they were everywhere in GW1. The basic idea is that each god has their own set of readily available scripture, some small part of which used to be put on each of their statues.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

I don’t know if they’re in GW2, but they were everywhere in GW1. The basic idea is that each god has their own set of readily available scripture, some small part of which used to be put on each of their statues.

I haven’t seen them in gw2, but then I haven’t really explored DR very thoroughly…

in Lore

Agroman.7190

From the top of my head, I’m not sure if they can be found in GW2. I think it can be safe to assume that they still around, though. These are the official scriptures of the gods, after all.