What race is Viirastra?

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Anna.7845

Anna.7845

If you’ve played through the Shattered Observatory fractal you’ll see a weird norn-ish looking giant creature named Viirastra.But she’s blue and unusually tall for a norn.And in CM she has star and planet patterns on her.

Skorvald is obviously a norn and Arkk is an asura but I have no idea what Viirastra is.Heck her name isnt even a norn name so I’m sure she isn’t norn.

PvP, Raids, Fractal CMs, Lore-hunting and some RP

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

she’s obviously not from our world, so there’s no point in comparing her to a norn, or anything from our world, really.
I’m going out on a limb and call her a celestial.
But whatever she is, she’s unique in the sense that her kind has not yet been encountered before. The way she uses magic as a form of playing suggests that she’s not mortal in the same way as us, although it does look like they used a Norn skeleton to make her model.

If she’s a norn (which I simply can’t see happening) she must’ve been in the mists for so long her mind and body have been replaced with magic so if she’s norn in origin, there’s nothing left of that.

She also talks about Arrk as an entity that invaded her home, so I think that wherever the fractals of the mists are, it’s her realm

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Viirastra might have been born in the mist like Razah was. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Razah

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

you’re right
The protomatter that makes up the Mists strains toward creation, often spawning demonic creations in nightmarish forms. Not all creatures from the Mists are demonic, however. When the Mists come into contact with a suitable human template, for example, it can copy that form, creating a sentient entity with humanoid appearance and an almost human mind.
This is a very interesting line to this matter.

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Being a very human-like demon like Razah is one possibility. Another is that she’s of the same beings as Harbinger of Woe is – as her challenge mode version (Artsariiv) seems to use the same texture as the Harbinger. This texture is definitely different from the Celestial Infusions, as Skorvald has such on him (which is rather interesting to me – has he been in the Fractals for so long he’s losing his humanity – er, nornity – or something?).

It should also be known that Yokko describes Viirastra and her clones as “creatures from the beyond”. This means that she is either a mist-born being or comes from another world entirely.

As know what Celestials are – souls ascended into the night sky to live as constellations – so Viirastra certainly isn’t such, as there is no “Celestial Norn” or any constellation called Viirastra. Their appearance is also vastly different from hers.

So I’d go with “same kind of being as the Harbinger of Woe, possibly same as Razah too.”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Being a very human-like demon like Razah is one possibility. Another is that she’s of the same beings as Harbinger of Woe is – as her challenge mode version (Artsariiv) seems to use the same texture as the Harbinger. This texture is definitely different from the Celestial Infusions, as Skorvald has such on him (which is rather interesting to me – has he been in the Fractals for so long he’s losing his humanity – er, nornity – or something?).

It should also be known that Yokko describes Viirastra and her clones as “creatures from the beyond”. This means that she is either a mist-born being or comes from another world entirely.

As know what Celestials are – souls ascended into the night sky to live as constellations – so Viirastra certainly isn’t such, as there is no “Celestial Norn” or any constellation called Viirastra. Their appearance is also vastly different from hers.

So I’d go with “same kind of being as the Harbinger of Woe, possibly same as Razah too.”

oh right, I forgot celestials were already a thing from Cantha, forgot about them.
I was talking about celestials in a more general sense.
Right now, Razah-ification seems to be the most plausible theory, albeit a theory at best

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

She has also a blindfold. She talks to us in really weird way, like it’d be the playground.

We were in the place beyond any imagination. Arkk opened the doors to unbelievable things in the Mists.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Anna.7845

Anna.7845

she’s obviously not from our world, so there’s no point in comparing her to a norn, or anything from our world, really.
I’m going out on a limb and call her a celestial.
But whatever she is, she’s unique in the sense that her kind has not yet been encountered before. The way she uses magic as a form of playing suggests that she’s not mortal in the same way as us, although it does look like they used a Norn skeleton to make her model.

If she’s a norn (which I simply can’t see happening) she must’ve been in the mists for so long her mind and body have been replaced with magic so if she’s norn in origin, there’s nothing left of that.

She also talks about Arrk as an entity that invaded her home, so I think that wherever the fractals of the mists are, it’s her realm

I was comparing her to a norn because wiki says she’s a norn

PvP, Raids, Fractal CMs, Lore-hunting and some RP

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

all these recent cosmic npcs like the harbringer, skorvald, viirastra use a norn model so i would say it’s not an accident. i speculate they are some sort of elite norn group who traveled the mists and possibly lost their minds. also note that skorvald uses bifrost which has some mythology background that kinda fits here.

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The wiki has an image of Skorvald using Golden Fractal Staff, not Bifrost. And his dialogue makes it seem that he is working for Arkk – like the gladiator charr in Chaos Isles Fractal.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

all these recent cosmic npcs like the harbringer, skorvald, viirastra use a norn model so i would say it’s not an accident. i speculate they are some sort of elite norn group who traveled the mists and possibly lost their minds. also note that skorvald uses bifrost which has some mythology background that kinda fits here.

Honestly i think that’s more of a technical than a design limitation. Remember when I Diablo 2 some bosses no matter how important were just recolored regular creatures

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It would be more of a design choice – not so much for lore purposes, but for the sake of making work faster.

For the same reason we have cases like the mushroom foes using the same base skeleton as skritt with a few new animations, or Stavemaster Arwyn using female norn animations but they created a walking animation for him. Similarly, kodan utilize the norn skeleton and animations, and tengu use charr (though they got a new animation set with HoT).

So yeah, I wouldn’t say “they’re norn!” just because they use norn base models. If they were intended to just be norn I doubt they’d have given them such textures – Skorvald the exception since unlike the others you can make out normal skin.

Dear ANet writers,

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

The name Viirastra somehow reminds me of Valharantha, the Speaker for the Snow Leopard in Hoelbrak. I feel that they have the same sort of hindu-like vibe to me.

However, I highly doubt Viirastra is a Norn. Perhaps she is a creature form the Mists who somehow saw an Havroun walking into the Mists and reacted to him/her by trying to mimic him. Or she may have a very different origin, the Mists being still quite mysterious, and even more so for the Fractals.

What race is Viirastra?

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

The wiki has an image of Skorvald using Golden Fractal Staff, not Bifrost. And his dialogue makes it seem that he is working for Arkk – like the gladiator charr in Chaos Isles Fractal.

sorry, i saw a lot of bifrost projectiles in this fight so i assumed he had bifrost