What races have the "bro power"?

in Lore

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

I’ve always felt Norn and Charr are true bros. They love to fight, drink, and are very skilled craftsmen. But, what other races are “bros”? Maybe Asura and Sylvari – their relationship is a bit more sardonic, but the clash of nature and machine seems fascinating to both. That and they both infuse their structures and weapons with magic.
Your pick?

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

The Sylvari and Asura pairing is hardly ‘bro’ status imo. Sylvari are kinda distrusting of the Asura actually, since one of the firstborn was experimented on by the Inquest.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Of the playable races, only the norn and charr get together at such degrees. Humans are rather neutral to all but charr where there’s hostility, charr are neutral or just non-interactive with asura and sylvari. And asura and sylvari hold a less-hostile rivalry between them due to the event mentioned by Mystic (Malomedies being found by some asura, the first interaction between the races, mistaken as a very human-like unintelligent plant, and experimented on; later revealed that it was Kudu’s doing so there may have been little “mistake” about it).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Sylvari and humans do tend to get along too. They haven’t had centuries to build a report like the charr and norn, but they have enough in common that I can see them ending up at that point.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

Wiki Noe’s Pet

Noe was cold. White Oak, she knew, had dropped leaves that would make a good blanket, and she hurried to gather some. She scooped armfuls onto her cape: one scoop, two scoops, three…a face.

It wasn’t dead, but it wasn’t entirely alive. Noe eyed it, poked it, and whispered to it, but nothing woke it. Noe piled leaves around it. The creature was wounded and bleeding.

Night threatened, so Noe lay down beside the creature and pulled her cloak over them both. Next morning, she examined the wound. “I know what you need, little pea.”

As she searched for Weeping Milkcap, she whispered greetings to Shagbark and Lady Fern. She crawled under Holly, but Milkcap wasn’t there. Then, Noe saw Milkcap, in a grove overrun with krait.

“Danger, " she muttered. She crept to the grove’s edge, whispered to Milkcap, and took several of its heads. And then, a krait threw a knife and caught her in the arm.

Noe fled into dense undergrowth where the krait wouldn’t follow. Milkcap could fix her injured arm, but she didn’t use it. Milkcap was for her creature. She placed it on the creature’s wound.

The creature opened its eyes, blinked at Noe…and bit her hand. Its sharp teeth drew blood. “Don’t be afraid,” she told it. The creature passed out again.

Noe cared for her creature. She stroked its ears and found the spot that made it rest easier. “When you’re better, my pet,” she told it, “we’ll leave this place and have adventures together.”

Then, one morning, the creature opened its eyes. Afraid of another bite, Noe scooted back. “Welcome back to the waking world,” she greeted. “I’m Noe, and you’re my pet.” Her creature blinked.

It blinked again and sat up. “I’m not your pet, you stupid fern.” It looked down at its wound and Milkcap. “Hmph. Primitive. But effective.”

Noe’s tiny creature stood on two legs. Its ears perked out from either side of its head. “I’m an asura. Not a pet.” Noe smiled,

Her creature said, “I have to go.” Noe watched her creature head off into the forest. “All right…” she said. A heartbeat later, she scrambled up and followed it. “…my pet.”

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I always loved that story. XD

in Lore

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

Sylvari and Asura are more like Misfit Buddy Cops than anything.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’ve always felt Norn and Charr are true bros. They love to fight, drink, and are very skilled craftsmen.

Charr and Norn have a mutual respect for each other as warriors, although the Charr have a superior military force they admire the individual Norns fighting spirit. So that’s true, not sure if I’d see too many Norn and Charr drinking together in a bar though. Norn would be all about the Spirits and Charr would be: “Charr need no Spirits!”

Sylvari and Asura are more like Misfit Buddy Cops than anything.

Well their capitals are relatively close to each other, so they need to have a certain amount of political stability among them. Luckily the Asura Council are so self-centered they barely notice anything else and the Sylvari are ruled by the Mother Tree which seems so goody/altruistic/pacifistic you could probably set her on fire and she’ll still forgive you.

Although in general (and slightly alluded to in game, if not in the personal story which is Pack focus and the Living World which is LA focused) there’s some underlying tension between the races particularly in less diverse areas of Tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

I would love to see some of that tensions flushed out. Anti-silvari voices after Scarlet invasion can be beginning of that.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Sylvari and asura have a bit of a tsundere relationship. Sometimes they get along, pursuing common goals. Sometimes, the asura are exasperated by the idealism and environmentalism of the sylvari getting in the way of their entrepreneurialism and experimentation, while some sylvari remember when that experimentation was turned on them all too well…

There was an interview somewhere where it was stated that the first encounter with another race for the sylvari was with the asura, and that went badly as we know (we have mixed reports on whether this was because the asura denuinely didn’t realise they were experimenting with sapient beings, or whether the Inquest was responsible). That part is well known, but the same interview mentioned that humans were the first other species with which first contact for the sylvari went well, and Jennah and the Pale Tree have had good relations since. Certainly, there is an official ambassador from the Pale Tree to Kryta, being one of the Firstborn; humans in Kryta seem to appreciate rather than being jealous of the sylvari (there’s an ambient conversation in Queensdale, for instance, with a farmer pondering hiring sylvari because they’re good with growing things); and from the old blog posts about the minor races, modern humans and sylvari seem to have similar attitudes regarding minor races (ie they’re happy to have them around if they aren’t making a nuisance of themselves, cf say, the charr, who are more inclined to shoot first and ask if it was justified later if at all). Depending on what ends up happening with Orr, this might bring the two closer – humans and sylvari are probably the two races that have the most interest there.

Overall, my read on it is that the human/sylvari relationship is probably at least as good as the norn/charr one. The reason we hear more about the norn/charr relationship is because that relationship was unexpected – prior to that, the charr went to war with every other race they encountered, so the norn/charr relationship is particularly special because that was a turning point for the previously xenocidal charr. Humans, on the other hand, have a long list of alliances with other races, some successful, some not so successful – one more isn’t such a big deal.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Haaznahnuff.1907

Haaznahnuff.1907

I’d like to remember two facts (sorry, no precise references):

1. In Brisban Wilds (Zinder Slope) one Peacemaker wonders whether the Warden’s methods (againt the courtiers) could be efficient against the Inquest and they are clearly allied against all the threats in the area (beside the Seraph btw). Things of the past, although not forgotten, seem to be put into perspective for the common purpose.
  2. Although the Norn and the Charr have developed a mutual respect for generations, not long ago, a trespassing warband would still be hunted and cold-blood destroyed without any remorse nor diplomatic consequences. Respect doesn’t mean automatic friendliness.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Some of the Norn women also think that Norn men act like Bros.

They don’t mean it as a good thing.