Where are the corrupted female Norn's?

in Lore

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I have noticed there are no corrupted female Norn’s only male ones. It has me wondering is there a reason. Are female Norn’s to strong to fall into the corruption or so weak their bodies can’t deal with the change and die. What is everyone’s thoughts?

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

in Lore

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Sons of Svanir don’t accept females. I believe they simply kill them. Whether that’s something Jormag himself influences or not is up for debate.. Sons of Svanir seem to have more willpower and presence of mind than most minions. It could be a cultural prejudice with them

(edited by Black Iris Flowers.3418)

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

This was raised in an interview with Ree quite a while back. The response was that the Sons of Svanir kill them, and Jormag doesn’t care either way.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Having recently read Edge of Destiny so it’s fresh in my mind, the above posters are correct, the female norn are killed instead of corrupted.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

in Lore

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Thank you I have been extremely curious I love the norn lore. I need to read edge of destiny all I have read is ghost of ascalon.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

in Lore

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Wow – between the Sons and the Flame Legion, there’s a lot of misogyny in Anet’s antagonists. What’s up with that theme?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

It’s an easy way to make bad guys bad at first blush. With the Sons, they needed that something to push the cult from ‘greyish alternative viewpoint’ to ‘black hat villain’. With the Flame Legion, it was a convenient narrative explanation for why we saw no female charr in GW1, and it meant they weren’t the evil charr just for being religious.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

There might be corrupted female norn, but not on their own incentive.
The sons of svanir hate women because the sister of Svanir denied the dragon. To them its kind of like adam and eve, and eve betrayed their ‘god’.
There are icebrood, corrupted norn who have completely lost their mortal sense and become chilled. I dont expect there to be many female norn as without the sons of svanirs its hard to get there.

in Lore

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

It’s an easy way to make bad guys bad at first blush. With the Sons, they needed that something to push the cult from ‘greyish alternative viewpoint’ to ‘black hat villain’.

That’s true – nobody’s ever accused ANet’s writers for having a flair for nuance. They do always go in the direction of comically evil mustache-twisters instead of understandable, relatable villains (say in the Magneto fold).

That’s how we got Mary Sue Scarlet.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’ve not always been a fan of how ANet handles their writing, but in this case I think we’re looking at a deliberate stylistic choice, not a blunder.

MMOs need a line of unwaveringly hostile foes for you to carve through. That’s what their progression system is predicated on. That, in turn, requires factions that are straight ‘bad guys’, that you’re at least semi-justified for killing on sight. When dealing with intelligent races, especially ones where other members are meant to be interacted with on friendly terms, that takes giving them some reprehensible trait, and whatever it is, it needs to be displayed prominently, not subtly. The alternative is representing the player character as a serial killer, with the law in the world curiously uncaring, or else giving up on intelligent enemies as anything but the main villains. There’s a time and a place for nuance, and the goons out and about in the world just can’t be it. It’s not good storytelling, but it is good game-making.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.