Where in the world is Destiny's Edge?

in Lore

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

[Minor Spoiler Alert]

Destiny’s Edge has not played and active part in driving the Lore forward since they lead the Pact in defeating the Elder Dragon, Zhaitan. They have effectively been replaced by the group lead by the PC and Marjory Delaqua ….. with her sister Belinda if the PC is human being a potential love-interest/partner.

Destiny’s Edge have only made guest appearances thus far in the Living Story saga and it seems this state of affair is set to continue. I can’t speak for others but for me personally I have invested myself and had grown attached to Eir Stegalkin and company after playing through the Personal Story on my main three characters and in advance stages with all my other characters – at time of writing.

While I like the newer group well enough I don’t see why there seems to be no place on the stage for the original set of adventuring heroes and heroines…… post Zhaitan.

in Lore

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

because money.

A lot of the problems people have with the game are because of monetary and logistical constraints that ANet has to deal with.

Many of the Voice Actors of Destiny’s Edge are extremely busy and highly paid people.

That’s the main reason really.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

In actual lore reasons, because Destiny’s Edge have JOBS.

Rytlock and Logan for example, are high ranking in their military structures (Logan implied to basically be the top head of the Seraph entirely). They can’t just run off freely.

Eir and Caithe have more freedom, but Eir is an elder among the Norn, she likely spends much of her time giving tips to new heroes.

Zojja… is Zojja.

Though in the dialogue, you actually have the player (at least mine did) mention they “Haven’t been actively commanding the pact for some time now.” Meaning likely with Zhaitans defeat, Destiny’s Edge + player character went on ‘vacation’ or back to their normal lives until the next dragon campaign starts up.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Let’s be real, it doesn’t make lore sense that we are hanging out with the biconics or that DE are on the back burner. They simply can’t get access to the voice actors frequently enough so they created the representation team (tumblr would be so happy) with easier to access voice actors.

In season one they were also avoiding many personal story NPCs to avoid crossing the line for players who never finished the personal story.

in Lore

Posted by: DorDor.8617

DorDor.8617

I’m pretty sure they went their separate ways after Zhaitan. We DO see them in Season 1 (except for Zojja, that is), but we see them in different places, doing different things. Eir’s tracking down her kid. Logan’s investigating the Marionette. Caithe’s infiltrating Scarlet’s death-trap-ridden hideout. But we never see them together.

That makes me think that they hung around for a bit after they killed Zhaitan, slew a few champions, and then went off on their own as their individual lives caught up with them.

wanderingstoryteller.tumblr.com – Guild Wars content that’s only 75% terrible!

in Lore

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

I imagine that going forward, they will continue to take on more leadership roles in their respective cities.

thus, less time for adventuring.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I hope for Caithe to appear along the lines.
not only because of her “secret” teased to us in S1 through Scarlet and the fact that we are now after the roar and reliving Scarlets life to her crazyness to some extend, but also because we are talking about soundless and Mordremoth here…

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The main problem with Destiny’s Edge is that they are there all through the personal story and the dungeons. There’s no point having a plot line where Rytlock gets killed as a big shock in the living story when you can start a new character and say hello to him tomorrow. Even if a lot of work is put into having two versions of reality for players, one with Rytlock and one with another legion commander, the story dungeons will still have a glaring continuity error. If Rox dies then Rox dies. Nothing else needs to change in the game world. It’s easier to just do it all with the new guys and to be honest, they have actually been better characters so far.

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

In actual lore reasons, because Destiny’s Edge have JOBS.

And that would make the group following us a bunch of hippies. And if not counting Marj and Kas also hoboes, wouldn’kitten

Who do we have there…

A failure of a norn who couldn’t defend his homestead and now tries really, really hard to build his legend. Propably because mommy doesn’t love him, and he’s short.

A rebelled baby asura, who doesn’t like her teacher so she ran away.

A charr kittenigned from joining the Stone Warband, because Rytlock isn’t nice, and Braham’s cognitive dysfunction let’s her feel needed.

A broke noble. Enough said.

Ex-guard who didn’t like silly rules and started a “detective agency”, but it just so happens that she has a slow period in the business (AKA, nobody wants to hire her) so she follows us around.

Yep, we’re being accompanied by a group of lowlifes, keep an eye on your wallet during story missions!

PS. This post is not serious. Just in case your wit is sharp as Brahams and you didn’t notice.

EDIT – There is supposed to be a Cartman saying “You’re all a bunch of tree-hugging hippies” in here, but it refused to load. Oh well.

Attachments:

(edited by zwierz.9012)

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Actually I’m wondering if they couldn’t just get a couple of other voice actors, aiming of course to get someone who kinda like the original voice actor. I wouldn’t mind and they’d be able to at least show us what Destiny’s Edge is up to.

in Lore

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

I’m starting to believe that there is no real cohesive roadmap to advance the stories of our npc – co-adventurers. And that they are built only well enough to complete a single project then essentially discarded as yesterdays edition. This was the structure in the original game.

A player was expected to not overly invest oneself with any group of adventurers since the next project/quest (Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall/EotN/GW Beyond – each being separate quests) will involve a complete new set of people at its core with only guest appearances from the group you have invested a lot of time and spilt blood together.

It seems to me that at the end of the Guild Wars story that the PC parted ways with their friends into the Mist of an undefined future. Since in our Personal Story their is no scene where the game acknowledges that your ancestor took part in the events of the first game. And further in the Living Story there is no dialogue from the PC referencing even a single member of Destiny’s Edge unless a member was making a guest appearance.

This to me is indicative of manufactured storytelling. Not a saga.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

It’s been 250 years. Many details can be lost in that period. Also, given how player characters can be tied back to GW1 (human characters, if the player had GW1 characters. However the other races can’t link to Gw1 player characters), OR they don’t because enough people never touched GW1, suddenly referencing a powerful ancestor or such doesn’t work.

That’s not even going into the problems that actually mentioning the name of the character would form.

Destiny’s Edge have their ‘day jobs’. Rytlock and Logan are busy with their roles in their nation militaries. Why would the player character mention or bring them up when they are basically unrelated to the situations at hand?

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Since the area we’re now venturing into is close to the site of Glint’s death, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some or all of them turn up later into Season Two. It may not be a happy reunion, though.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Since the area we’re now venturing into is close to the site of Glint’s death, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some or all of them turn up later into Season Two. It may not be a happy reunion, though.

We are across the world from Glints Death. She died in the crystal desert (in the middle of the branded area in the desert), we are in the Maguuma wastes.

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

We are across the world from Glints Death. She died in the crystal desert (in the middle of the branded area in the desert), we are in the Maguuma wastes.

I should have realized that, I’ve read Edge of Destiny twice. Not sure where I got the idea, maybe from listening to the displaced Zephyrites talk about her corpse.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

They are chasing after a time travelling arch-criminal that is trying to steal Tyria’s most important monuments/objects.

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

Btw: Rytlock and Zojja are currently not in their office again.

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

in Lore

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Talking to them after Victory or Death suggests, they will stick together and fight the other dragons. And Logan specified that he won’t be returning to Kryta until he knows it is safe.

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

They are usually in their office, just not now. This shows that Destiny’s Edge are still quite active, even without us.

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Talking to them after Victory or Death suggests, they will stick together and fight the other dragons. And Logan specified that he won’t be returning to Kryta until he knows it is safe.

Of course, they will likely be around once the next campaign against a dragon officially starts.

Until then, Rytlock and Logan have their jobs as high ranking leaders of their nation militaries.

Logan, IIRC, IS the top leader of the human Seraph forces.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Logan is unofficially the top leader. Technically speaking, there is no “top leader”. Beneath whomever is on the throne (currently Jennah), there are typically 5 to 10 captains (exact number unknown, we’ve met 7 of them, and a couple generically named) each assigned a different location. Thackeray’s location of jurisdiction is Divinity’s Reach, and due to his closeness to Jennah, as well as his past legacy as a dragon champion slayer, and Jennah’s occupation with the human-charr treaty, he’s regarded as the top Captain of the Seraph, though legally he holds no jurisdiction over any other Captain’s area of command. If Logan were to order one of Captain Edwards’ men (Edwards is one of the two Captains running the assault on the centaurs in Harathi Hinterlands), if Edwards says no, the soldier can ignore Logan.

Thus far, the captains’ we met were all located in:

• Divinity’s Reach (Logan Thackeray)
  • Claypool (Lindel)
  • Ascalon Settlement (Vonne)
  • Nebo Terrace (Brandin Glenavon)
  • Seraph’s Landing/Modniir Gorge (Edwards)
  • Wynchona Rally Point (Marshal)
  • Triskell Quay (Rendar)
  • Queensdale in general (Tervelan; dies in PS)
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Highlord.7158

Highlord.7158

Hopefully they’re holed up in their capitals pretending to be useful from now on. If I want a group of simpering idiots to get in the way and put their own interpersonal drama before fighting the kitten war that threatens to wipe out all life, I’ll be sure to let them know.

Otherwise, I’ll get a group of actual professionals, rather than a flock of grandstanding adult children.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Hopefully they’re holed up in their capitals pretending to be useful from now on. If I want a group of simpering idiots to get in the way and put their own interpersonal drama before fighting the kitten war that threatens to wipe out all life, I’ll be sure to let them know.

Otherwise, I’ll get a group of actual professionals, rather than a flock of grandstanding adult children.

Only, they all fought to defend their fellows.

They simply (Logan, Rytlock, Zojja) refused to work with each other because they couldn’t stand each other. It’s actually a SMART move because would you want to go into Orr with somebody guarding you back who you don’t trust?

in Lore

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

But Logan said, he will not be returning to Kryta until it is safe. That was his answer to Caithe, when she asked him if he was going back to his queen.

So i don’t expect to see him in Kryta till the dragons are dead, unless he meant something else.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Except that we did see him in Kryta after Zhaitan’s defeat. Season 1 takes place after the personal story – this got outright stated with the announcement of the journal, and during Dragon Bash, Queen’s Jubilee, and Clockwork Chaos we see him in Divinity’s Reach.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

But Logan said, he will not be returning to Kryta until it is safe. That was his answer to Caithe, when she asked him if he was going back to his queen.

So i don’t expect to see him in Kryta till the dragons are dead, unless he meant something else.

You ever stop to think he might mean permanently?

Like, once the dragons are dead, he’ll stop adventuring and ‘return to his queen’ for good.