Who was Rodgort?

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

I recently rediscovered a love for my necromancer and thought I’d make Eye of Rodgort for him. I’m wondering, though, who the heck Rodgort was. I’m aware that two abilities from the original GW referenced Rodgort, and I’m also aware that the wiki claims that the name is in possible reference to a cartoon character’s name spelled backwards. None of this tells me much about Rodgort, however, except that he (she?) appears to be associated with fire.

Since several other game items reference figures from the lore (for example, Usoku’s Needle, Lost Seal of Usoku), I’m wondering if there’s some buried lore about Rodgort that I just can’t seem to find.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

It’s just a funny reference, there is no further lore attached to the name.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Rodgort is a name attached to fire elementalist skills in the first game, which was basically about inflicting the “Burning” status and making use of it. Back then it was (as is so much other stuff ArenaNet did) a reference to Internet culture.

Here’s a hint, reverse the spelling and Google it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Rodgort!
Rodgort!
Rodgort was a man. I mean, he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon.
But he was still Rodgort!
Rodgort!
Rodgort!

Burninating the countryside,
Burninating the peasants
Burninating all the peoples
And their thatched-roof cottages! Thatched-roof cottages!

Whoa, this has wicked dueling guitar solos. It’s like squeedly versus meedley over here. Go squeedly! Go squeedly! Squeedly wins!!!

When all the land is in ruins, and burnination has forsaken the countryside, only one guy will remain. My money’s on:
Rodgort!
Rodgort!
And the Rodgort comes in the niiiiiiiight.

ahem

As much as we know, it’s just a name tied to those two fire elementalist skills, one of which depicted a draconic like figure. This is all there is, other than the appearance of the legendary in GW2.

I’d say it’s more than “just a funny reference” – even if it began as such (heck, wasn’t there another figure that started as “just a funny reference” which grew to be a prominent figure in subsequent content updates? There’s quite a few, actually. Like Kilroy!).

Some of the legendaries do seem to hold a currently-hidden lore behind them, and Rodgort could be one such situation, meaning that all Rodgort is, would be a very well known torch which has possibly still unknown (to us) history.

(Also, Tobias, you should read the OP more often, ja?)

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

There’s no special lore about it, it’s just a funny play on Trogdor. I would assume that’s why everything looks all dragon-y and fiery as well. As a fan of Homestar Runner, I’ve loved this reference ever since I saw the skills in GW1.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

(Also, Tobias, you should read the OP more often, ja?)

Probably, but that would leave nitpickers with nothing to do and I’m a firm believer in offering employment to the less fortunate.

. . . also I should probably stop posting in the lore section altogether. I get it 10% wrong more often than not.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Only 10% of what you post being wrong is probably better than most. :P

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

As the story goes, Rodgort was a man, or more precisely a dragon-man, though some scholars contend he was just a dragon… but in any event, he was still Rodgort.

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: NolanP.7604

NolanP.7604

rogdort is trogdor backwards ….TROGDORRRRRR!!!!!!!

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Trogdor aside, given the way the GW1 skills that reference ‘Rodgort’ are named (Rodgort’s Invocation, Mark of Rodgort), I always assumed he was a famous pyromancer of times past who invented some spells which are now commonly used. Other games have used this convention of spells bearing the name of the mage who devised them. I don’t think there’s any solid lore on the person, though (my assumption has been that he was a man).

Who was Rodgort?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Even GW uses that kind of convention – see all the Verata skills, or the skills named after Canthan henchmen and ancient heroes. There’s even others like Bonetti’s Defense (Bonetti being a bandit in Ascalon that has a random chance of spawning).

I used to think Rodgort was a fire dragon/drake, under this assumption, given the depiction in the Rodgort’s Invocation skill being such, and most named skills have a figure that at least look like the named NPC to some degree (even if its as loose as general <insert race> figure).

But given the torch, I wouldn’t be surprised if the skills were either named after the torch, or the torch and skills are named after a Flame Legion charr. The head looks fairly charr-like, and its obtained via Citadel of Flame tokens.

Dear ANet writers,