Who would you be?

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

Would you be named after a legendary hero, or be cursed with the name of one of histories greatest villains?

will u strike fear into the hearts of your enemies so that even the whisper of your name sends chills down the spine, or will your deeds carry your name through time as one of the greatest to ever walk tyria?

basically what would your name be and what type of legend will you become?

(trying to find some really cool tyrianeasc names and tales)

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

It’s how you feel really. As someone who enjoys RP I name characters with fitting names according to race. Asura have “short” names (Levvi, Noll, Kudu, Zojja, Snaff) so I named my Asura Engineer (whom I wish could be a golemancer, have golem summon rune, mini golems and job-o-backpack) Zingir. It fits and I like it

Attachments:

Who would you be?

in Lore

saventis.1485

It’s how you feel really. As someone who enjoys RP I name characters with fitting names according to race. Asura have “short” names (Levvi, Noll, Kudu, Zojja, Snaff) so I named my Asura Engineer (whom I wish could be a golemancer, have golem summon rune, mini golems and job-o-backpack) Zingir. It fits and I like it

Ohhh nice^^
im trying to figure out what sort of names and types of “characters” i could come across

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

hm. I take generally names I like and not necressarily some that fit the setting. ^^"
my first 2 characters have names that fit my account name.
Oreithyia was a Nymph that was married to the Northwind, Boreas. The name means “storming through the Mountains”, So the meaning is kind fitting for a Norn Woman, eventhough it doesn’t sound very Nordic.
Oreanthus, the name of my human guy, is just a lazy modification of this name.
I think the name of my Sylvari is the one that fits a RP-setting the most…“Bláithín” means “little flower” in gaelic.
My Asura (I deleted it) was named “Kazonkh Zawoosh”…just sound words, but i think it sounds pretty Asuran for me.
The name of my Charr is “Antigone”, a Latin or Roman name would probably more fitting, but i like this one. her surname is Nasjakova, which doesn’t fit the setting at all, but I wanted my three (future) mains to be called “Ohri, Nasi und Bohri” as a nickname…which would translated to something like “Ear-y Nose-y and pick-y”…I know I’m very adult with this. XD

Who would you be?

in Lore

saventis.1485

hm. I take generally names I like and not necressarily some that fit the setting. ^^"
my first 2 characters have names that fit my account name.
Oreithyia was a Nymph that was married to the Northwind, Boreas. The name means “storming through the Mountains”, So the meaning is kind fitting for a Norn Woman, eventhough it doesn’t sound very Nordic.
Oreanthus, the name of my human guy, is just a lazy modification of this name.
I think the name of my Sylvari is the one that fits a RP-setting the most…“Bláithín” means “little flower” in gaelic.
My Asura (I deleted it) was named “Kazonkh Zawoosh”…just sound words, but i think it sounds pretty Asuran for me.
The name of my Charr is “Antigone”, a Latin or Roman name would probably more fitting, but i like this one. her surname is Nasjakova, which doesn’t fit the setting at all, but I wanted my three (future) mains to be called “Ohri, Nasi und Bohri” as a nickname…which would translated to something like “Ear-y Nose-y and pick-y”…I know I’m very adult with this. XD

see that sounds really cool to me
i love those names that have roots in other languaes ( most names i know)
and ur right that name does sound very asura ey

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Well, my RL name is already in game and he is one of the leaders of the vigil (I felt so nice when I met him for the 1st time).
Lord Rodrigo of Cormoch. You can try to take your conclusions on the impression of the name.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

If I were a charakter in-game I’d probably be something lame, like a human citizen in Divinity’s Reach or a random Dregde. So I’d probably would even deserve a name story-wise.
Rodrigo is a bada*s name btw.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Who would you be?

in Lore

saventis.1485

Well, my RL name is already in game and he is one of the leaders of the vigil (I felt so nice when I met him for the 1st time).
Lord Rodrigo of Cormoch. You can try to take your conclusions on the impression of the name.

oh thats cool haha
do you die? i really hope not haha

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d have a regular name. Because other than a few royal-borns, generally parents don’t have precognitive flashes as to their newborn’s impending career. (My husband’s watched the new “I, Zombie” show and says the main character’s name is Liv Moore. Ouch).

So what names have I picked for my alts?

Donari Mal di Bette, a fancy name for a fancy nobleman. The middle name is used intimately in the family. I have a family tree worked out as well, mostly because he was a tabletop character before GW2 came along.

Salvina Lucia (di) Bette, Donari’s sister. I had to axe the “di” to fit in 19 characters.

Jin Macklin, a Canthan descent commoner who helps at the family general store when not studying up on Grenth stuff. The “Jin” name is one of the few vestiges of Canthan culture in the family, it’s used from generation to generation.

David Raffino, a selfish guardian, ie his powers work great on him, not so great on anyone else. He’s an ex-Seraph due to his tendency to slack off even when on duty. He goes by “Rafe,” only his parents call him David, and he doesn’t visit often.

Mirth the Mouse, a street rat with huge anger issues. The last of a large brood of poor children she pretty much grew up on the streets and got her name for never smiling and being quiet and unobtrusive. She never started fights, she always finished them, and to this day she’s convinced the world is a harsh cruel place that’s out to get her.

Sylvari names — Briara (a name I used for my plant person in DaoC), Briamor (noodling around with an Arthurian name generator and glomming together syllables I liked, realized only later that it was close to Briara), Andret (straight from the generator, took a lot of tries to find one not taken), Ysethe (made up by me to sound Arthurian). Their stories come more from their professions. Briara’s the Guardian with much less vocabulary than thoughts in her head, so she babbles. Briamor’s the Scarlet Pimpernel, he’s a Mesmer with the Order of Whispers. Andret’s nobody, I just wanted an alt who could wear male ‘vari heavy armor so he’s a warrior. Ysethe’s a Necro, she studies decay and rot with an eye to preventing and reversing them, figuring they will be real hazards for the Pale Tree (she’s not feeling grand about having failed, thanks to Shadow of the Dragon).

Norns: Altdragg Splitstack, Engineer, named so I could remember how to split item stacks in inventory. He’s an architect with big dreams about building an Arcology-style lodge to dwarf Hoelbrak. Ylfa Aetlaveidr, names garned from an Ancient Norse dictionary, means she-wolf fated hunter. Not RP’d so no story for her, I just needed to get a Ranger to 80.

Asura: Merra (made at launch, I had a tabletop character named Mera so it seemed to work), expert in solid light (Mesmer), minimally RP’d but always looking for new applications of light tech. And, needing another asura so I could see another PS line, Froblekk, my only post-NPE new alt. I tried for Blekk, it was taken. He’s a young asura Necro who wants to be taken more seriously by seeming old, so he dyes his hair white, paints a skull on his face, and leans on his staff like he needs the support. But he keeps forgetting to lean on it.

And my one charr, Talani Stormburn, that is b u r n not b u m (game font can be annoying!), a responsible soldier and neatnik who uses Ele magic to provide ranged unit support and is fairly touchy about being impugned for being a magic user, tools being tools. Originally Razorstorm until the Razor Warband guild disbanded. Not played much as I was focused on another guild.

My remaining alt is an RP shill designed by someone else, so I’ll leave him out of this.

Who would you be?

in Lore

saventis.1485

I’d have a regular name. Because other than a few royal-borns, generally parents don’t have precognitive flashes as to their newborn’s impending career. (My husband’s watched the new “I, Zombie” show and says the main character’s name is Liv Moore. Ouch).

So what names have I picked for my alts?

Donari Mal di Bette, a fancy name for a fancy nobleman. The middle name is used intimately in the family. I have a family tree worked out as well, mostly because he was a tabletop character before GW2 came along.

Salvina Lucia (di) Bette, Donari’s sister. I had to axe the “di” to fit in 19 characters.

Jin Macklin, a Canthan descent commoner who helps at the family general store when not studying up on Grenth stuff. The “Jin” name is one of the few vestiges of Canthan culture in the family, it’s used from generation to generation.

David Raffino, a selfish guardian, ie his powers work great on him, not so great on anyone else. He’s an ex-Seraph due to his tendency to slack off even when on duty. He goes by “Rafe,” only his parents call him David, and he doesn’t visit often.

Mirth the Mouse, a street rat with huge anger issues. The last of a large brood of poor children she pretty much grew up on the streets and got her name for never smiling and being quiet and unobtrusive. She never started fights, she always finished them, and to this day she’s convinced the world is a harsh cruel place that’s out to get her.

Sylvari names — Briara (a name I used for my plant person in DaoC), Briamor (noodling around with an Arthurian name generator and glomming together syllables I liked, realized only later that it was close to Briara), Andret (straight from the generator, took a lot of tries to find one not taken), Ysethe (made up by me to sound Arthurian). Their stories come more from their professions. Briara’s the Guardian with much less vocabulary than thoughts in her head, so she babbles. Briamor’s the Scarlet Pimpernel, he’s a Mesmer with the Order of Whispers. Andret’s nobody, I just wanted an alt who could wear male ‘vari heavy armor so he’s a warrior. Ysethe’s a Necro, she studies decay and rot with an eye to preventing and reversing them, figuring they will be real hazards for the Pale Tree (she’s not feeling grand about having failed, thanks to Shadow of the Dragon).

Norns: Altdragg Splitstack, Engineer, named so I could remember how to split item stacks in inventory. He’s an architect with big dreams about building an Arcology-style lodge to dwarf Hoelbrak. Ylfa Aetlaveidr, names garned from an Ancient Norse dictionary, means she-wolf fated hunter. Not RP’d so no story for her, I just needed to get a Ranger to 80.

Asura: Merra (made at launch, I had a tabletop character named Mera so it seemed to work), expert in solid light (Mesmer), minimally RP’d but always looking for new applications of light tech. And, needing another asura so I could see another PS line, Froblekk, my only post-NPE new alt. I tried for Blekk, it was taken. He’s a young asura Necro who wants to be taken more seriously by seeming old, so he dyes his hair white, paints a skull on his face, and leans on his staff like he needs the support. But he keeps forgetting to lean on it.

And my one charr, Talani Stormburn, that is b u r n not b u m (game font can be annoying!), a responsible soldier and neatnik who uses Ele magic to provide ranged unit support and is fairly touchy about being impugned for being a magic user, tools being tools. Originally Razorstorm until the Razor Warband guild disbanded. Not played much as I was focused on another guild.

My remaining alt is an RP shill designed by someone else, so I’ll leave him out of this.

those are all really good
i love the depth youv got for most all your characters its really cool

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Thanks Those are just bare bones descriptions, they all can have long profile threads on my guild forum (when I’m not too lazy to draft them). I’ve been RPing for over 3 decades, I need my characters to have depth!

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: SaulWolfden.6178

SaulWolfden.6178

Of my characters as much as I’d want to be my Charr Warrior, I’d probably be more like my Human Guardian. Since he’s more about protecting and helping others than any of my other characters (for his base personality in the ‘mini RP’ I do. My humans tend to have very human names, though two have Germanic last names, despite non-Germanic first names.

Saul Wolfden being my Guardian, though named because it is a name I commonly use, it has all the traits I’d want, favorite male name, wolves, and just works.

Terra Wolfheld is my Mesmer, also two of my favorite things, favorite female name and wolves also, knows to not be arrogant (outside of her noble attire), generally complacent with situations she’s put into. Makes herself appear less capable to deceive enemies.

Markis Drake is just a simple name for a simple Thief, scrawny due to being a street rat, does whatever he needs to survive.

My Charr are both named by their naming method. Ravage Tigerclaw is a Charr Warrior known for his ferocity in battle and especially savage look (gladiator-like style armor), name incorporates my second favorite animal, Tiger.

Reav Darksoul is a Charr Necromancer noted especially for enjoying watching things die and inflicting suffering on others, especially enjoys draining enemies to choke them.

I only have one of each of the other races.

Asura Engineer – Vandarris (while slightly off from usual Asura names, it isn’t too bizarre), anyone who has played Knights of the Old Republic knows where I got the name from. He’s rather obsessed with setting things and people on fire, considers himself sophisticated clearly wearing nobler looking attire.

Norn Ranger – Wulfgar Akerfeldt, originally was going to be a Guardian, Wulfgar is obvious at this point, Akerfeldt is a Swedish last name fitting with the commonly Germanic names of Norn. He’s not much different from the average Norn, just less boastful than most.
Side note, my Revenant will be a Norn too.

Sylvari Elementalist – Omniscient Victus, originally Victus Omniscient, but that was wrong as Omniscient was meant to be a title. As an Elementalist he is supposed to be knowledgeable hence the title. Victus essentially means life or living in Latin which fits well with a plant race.

“Fear is only what you feel”

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Which is actually how it works – one of ArenaNet’s lore team, I think it might have been Grubb, actually said at one point that asura names, particularly males, tend to sound like science fiction sound effects.

Male asura generally have one syllable, female asura have two. (Logan comments about Kudu having a girl’s name in Crucible of Eternity, for instance.)

Generally, my thought pattern is:

Asura: As above.

Charr: Latin, Greek, or Mongolian names all seem to appear, as well as names that are basically English words.

Human: Depends on variety. Elonian can be North African or Arabic. Kurzicks are Germanic. Luxons seem to be Greek. Canthans are, of course, Asian. Krytans and Ascalonians can be basically any European except Scandinavian (and I’m not even sure about that), and Orrians can be basically any of the above.

Norn: Scandinavian.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Kyratic.7038

Kyratic.7038

Yep, names need to fit the race to some degree.

My original main, was supposed to be a fire ele. She is a red-headed human female, called ’Kindle Wildfire" (however she finds herself in lightning with dagger/focus these days)

I kept the naming convention simple, all of my characters have the surname “Wildfire”
Eg my Asuran Engineer is “Trig Wildfire”, my Norn Warrior, is “Bjorn Wildfire”. my mordemath minion is plant themed, and I have made charr, but I keep killing them for the searing. (#neverforget)

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

All of my character names are generally race-appropriate, though I only have RP background for one of them (but have yet to actually do any RPing in game).

Inis – My Sylvari, which follows their celtic naming theme (means ‘from the river island’ but all my other preferences were taken).

My norn – Signe Grimsdottir, Herja Ivarkin, and… well I forget their last names as one I don’t play often and one is currently a placeholder for the revenant (and I’m at work so I can’t check) but those are Eira and Gudra respectively. Gudra is a play on the Valkyrie name Guðr.

My Asura is named Ankka – Many Asuran names to me are Russian in feel (when they don’t sound like sound effects) so I picked something in that line, as well as something with a vowel ending as many female Asura have.

I don’t have a Charr any longer but when I had one I did pick the last name with the warband naming convention. My human names tend to be rather normal, and generally are names I’ve used in tabletop RPGs before or are names yoinked from books. Malja Varick, Izebel van Verin, and Wynne Everheart being old names, while Molly Carpentter and Magiere Massing are from book series >.>

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

(Logan comments about Kudu having a girl’s name in Crucible of Eternity, for instance.)

Perhaps Kudu is an asuran analogue of Real World names like Francis, Kelly, Adrian, Morgan, etc.

Morgan Fairchild
Morgan Freeman

The table is a fable.

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Charr: Latin, Greek, or Mongolian names all seem to appear, as well as names that are basically English words.

Khan Biggus kittenus.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Who would you be?

in Lore

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Thraxx: My poisonous/radioactive Asura engineer. Short name with double final letters to fit with Asura male naming conventions, and chosen to evoke biological warfare.

Breaga Alainn: My Mesmer designed to look like Marvel’s Mystique. Follows the Irish/Celtic naming convention for Sylvari, and means “Beautiful Lies”, at least according to Google Translate.