Why Don't the Asura Rule the World?

in Lore

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I still think Kiel is an asuran puppet btw.

Comrade, we are all but cogs in great communist society.

Wait, I’m getting my games mixed up.

Let the glorified mole people play with their trinkets and theories. Practicality inevitably rules the day.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I still think Kiel is an asuran puppet btw.

Comrade, we are all but cogs in great communist society.

Wait, I’m getting my games mixed up.

Let the glorified mole people play with their trinkets and theories. Practicality inevitably rules the day.

OMG we have a dredge here

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

in Lore

Lostwingman.5034

No Dredge comrade, why would you say Dredge?
This is not of Dredge, only good surface dweller.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

No Dredge comrade, why would you say Dredge?
This is not of Dredge, only good surface dweller.

lol +5 for this. very Invader Zim-esque

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I’d like to point out asura are brilliant to a fault. They only think about advancing technology to where they don’t think about experiments to carefully. Half of experiment blow up in there face I think the ratio is like only 1-5% of apprentice live to become masters.

I like the STG parody though. send bombs through the stargate wha wha wha

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

I’d like to point out asura are brilliant to a fault. They only think about advancing technology to where they don’t think about experiments to carefully. Half of experiment blow up in there face I think the ratio is like only 1-5% of apprentice live to become masters.

I like the STG parody though. send bombs through the stargate wha wha wha

Yes, but the fact that they’ve not done this yet is not only due to practical considerations. There’s a religious and metaphysical reason. They think of the other races as cogs of the same machine. The asura are humble in that particular way. The way Kranxx saw the siege of Ebonahke showed me why aren’t they trying to attack any place.

in Lore

Lostwingman.5034

Whoa whoa whoa, Stargate references….why don’t we have shields over the gates yet like in SG-1? Let them all try to materialize in the sliver between the gate and the shield.

in Lore

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

the asura dont rule the world and all should know it as there is only one ruler of the world and that is the leader of the order of whispers as they have a people in the right places to make them take the “right” decision(gessing with the expetion of sylvary given they basicly is a monochy/dictatorship/empire(and what the other one person in control systems are called) with the pale tree in control)

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Lore

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

We do rule the world. The bookahs just haven’t realized it yet.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

1- they’d be DoA the moment they tried that

2- they keep sabotaging themselves. no, seriously.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Korsbaek.9803

the order of whispers just makes the asura think they rule the world when the order is really rulling it from the shadows;)

Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

the order of whispers just makes the asura think they rule the world when the order is really rulling it from the shadows;)

what about the asuras in the order?

O_o

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

One thing id like to point out is how can any race have an empire when each only controls one city? empires usually span multiple countries which in turn have multiple cities.

in Lore

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I think the reason can can be summed up in one line from GW1 from a Asura. I don’t recall the exact wording but it was something like this

“Get three asura in a room and you’ll have four opinions.”

in Lore

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

The orders would stop the asura

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Lore

Posted by: Treval.6723

Treval.6723

Whoa whoa whoa, Stargate references….why don’t we have shields over the gates yet like in SG-1? Let them all try to materialize in the sliver between the gate and the shield.

Hard to put a gate over something you don’t control – remember, there are Asura operating all the gates .

Besides, really, if their going to send people through to attack, do you really think they aren’t going to send bookahs through first?

The orders would stop the asura

But one of the orders is lead by an Asura?

in Lore

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

because char can eat them and norns can punt them 50 yards

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

This thread makes me wish the Asura – like their Inquest brethren – were killable in-game (not just in WvW/PvP but in PvE too), what a pesky, annoying bunch of creatures. xD

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I think the reason can can be summed up in one line from GW1 from a Asura. I don’t recall the exact wording but it was something like this

“Get three asura in a room and you’ll have four opinions.”

“What is this?”
“Typical Asura meeting. You get three Asura together, you get four opinions.”

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

One thing id like to point out is how can any race have an empire when each only controls one city? empires usually span multiple countries which in turn have multiple cities.

Kryta has one capital city but a large number of towns, not all of which you can visit ingame due to space issues. Though Kryta I’d really consider a kingdom, not an empire.

The charr have three major capital cities. Remember, what we can go to is only Iron legion territory. There’s also the Blood Legion and Ash Legion reasons, which are just as large as the Iron Legion territory we see ingame, further north and east. They are a legitimate Empire, only thing really stopping them is the fact they are technically three government bodies working toward the same goal. That and the enemies in every possible direction.

in Lore

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

But wouldn’t the Asure risk to become dependant on us Bookahs aswell while trying to take control of us by becoming indispensable?

Like… Asura won’t be able to threaten to close their Gates anymore, because it wouold damage their economy as much as the other ones.

Yeah, we fight the dragons on behalf of the asura, but it’s not like we didn’t need to otherwise.

And it seems to me Asuras are less attached on practical applications, more on scientific discovery. It’s the Charrs the best at imagining how to use something for their own sake (Asura didn’t invent airships, Charrs did: Asura knew how to do it, but didn’t have enough imagination/didn’t care to build it).

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Kryta has one capital city but a large number of towns, not all of which you can visit ingame due to space issues. Though Kryta I’d really consider a kingdom, not an empire.

The charr have three major capital cities. Remember, what we can go to is only Iron legion territory. There’s also the Blood Legion and Ash Legion reasons, which are just as large as the Iron Legion territory we see ingame, further north and east. They are a legitimate Empire, only thing really stopping them is the fact they are technically three government bodies working toward the same goal. That and the enemies in every possible direction.

Hardly an empire, when there is no emperor. Empire is, by definition, multiple nations ruled by a single leader, emperor. The charr have three separate legions, which could be seen as acting as nations working together, however, in the absence of Khan-Ur, no single charr rules over them all. None of the nations of Tyria apply, either. Norn and asura don’t even really have a nation, and with sylvari it’s arguable. Technically, the sylvari live in anarchy, as they have no ruling body, not counting advice and direction from the Pale Tree and the firstborn. Interestingly enough, even without a ruler or government, they still have armed forces keeping order.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

Hardly an empire, when there is no emperor. Empire is, by definition, multiple nations ruled by a single leader, emperor. The charr have three separate legions, which could be seen as acting as nations working together, however, in the absence of Khan-Ur, no single charr rules over them all. None of the nations of Tyria apply, either. Norn and asura don’t even really have a nation, and with sylvari it’s arguable. Technically, the sylvari live in anarchy, as they have no ruling body, not counting advice and direction from the Pale Tree and the firstborn. Interestingly enough, even without a ruler or government, they still have armed forces keeping order.

The sylvari are a monarchy. The pale tree is the ruler.

in Lore

Tuomir.1830

The Pale Tree doesn’t give commands to the sylvari. Each sylvari is free to act according to their will, the Pale Tree just gives guidance. Though she does act as a representative leader in a sense, she can’t decide, for example, for the sylvari as a whole to fight in a war.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

The Pale Tree doesn’t give commands to the sylvari. Each sylvari is free to act according to their will, the Pale Tree just gives guidance. Though she does act as a representative leader in a sense, she can’t decide, for example, for the sylvari as a whole to fight in a war.

Ok, it’s more like a theocracy. She’s like the high priestest of the dream.

in Lore

Tuomir.1830

More like a tribal society, with the Pale Tree being the elder.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

More like a tribal society, with the Pale Tree being the elder.

Quite so. She is their actual mother.

in Lore

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

The Pale Tree doesn’t need to order anything to the Sylvari. Isn’t she the one who created them?

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

O_o

Asuraception. We must go deeper.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Asura don’t rule the world because they’re smart. They can’t take on the elder dragons by themselves. Maybe at one point they would’ve thought this way, but once they lost their home to an elder dragon, I think they saw the value in having allies.

in Lore

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

O_o

The Asura planted Asurans inside the order, to control the order, who control the Asura, who control the rest of the world. So, really, it’s just the Asura.

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

O_o

The Asura planted Asurans inside the order, to control the order, who control the Asura, who control the rest of the world. So, really, it’s just the Asura.

[facepalm.jpg]

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Ehecatl.9172

I know. That’s why I mentioned the fact they are three separate entities working toward the same goal. Still the closest to an empire though. Just one Khan-Ur away.

in Lore

Posted by: Alcyone.8695

Alcyone.8695

While there are some Asura, as individuals, who would be interested in world domination, their culture makes it unlikely that they’d go to war as a large, united front.

Mainstream Asura society places its highest value on the pursuit of knowledge. The people that they hold in highest esteem are the smartest and the cleverest. It doesn’t matter to what purpose you have devoted your intellectual pursuits, it matters that you do something new and interesting. So power is only useful in that it allows access to better research supplies, expands fieldwork opportunities, and the like. (This is why the Inquest are tolerated where the other major races ostracize their “bad factions.” They’re smart and produce research results. They’re considered bad because they go too far, not because their goals are wrong; whether the Inquest’s highest priority is actually research or power is an open question.)

Not all Asura are like this, of course. We see merchants, especially in Lion’s Arch. We see police officers, and soldiers. They have the Arcane Council, which many Asura deeply fear being appointed to because then they won’t have time to do their own research projects! But as a whole, their culture doesn’t have any reason to rule the world. They feel their superiority is self-evident and have no compulsion to prove it, and ruling the world would force them to be management rather than scientists.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Sylvari government is an interesting case…

Fundamentally, I’d be inclined to say that they’re closest to an insect hive. There are those that go rogue in various ways, but most sylvari come out of the pod with something of an instinctive sense of what they should be doing from the Dream. They’ll take direction on how to do so from those they respect, but if anything, it’s the Dream itself that’s running sylvari society.

There are some organisations beneath that, though – for instance, the Wardens are lead by the Noon Luminary, Niamh.

O_o

Of the orders, the Order of Whispers seems to be the one with the least asura influence. Of its known leadership core (the Master of Whispers and the three Preceptors) there are no asura.

In fact, if I had to make a call, I’d say that, if anything, when push comes to shove the Order of Whispers is still predominantly human in its operation and objectives – howver, they’re more rational and forward-looking than most.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The Asuras couldn’t invade any town through their gates. The reason? Two words : Choke Point.

Also, there’s a very high likelihood that the gates need heavy maintenance from both sides, meaning it should be incredibly easy to disable one side and make the whole set inoperative.

in Lore

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Counter to that… Pre-emptive strike…hard to establish a choke point when you are dead before you know what’s happening

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

Ehecatl.9172

Counter to that… Pre-emptive strike…hard to establish a choke point when you are dead before you know what’s happening

Implying any nation is dumb enough not to have the gates under watch? C’mon man. Kryta and the Charr Legions have been at war with something or another for most of their history.

The norn and sylvari might be inclined to leave the gates unattended. If only because sylvari are extremely trusting and norn don’t believe in a militaristic mindset. Though I wouldn’t expect either of those two races to be especially easy to invade, even with the gates.

in Lore

dunnberry.2964

Come in under false pretenses peacefully at night and assassinate the gate guards, than bring in the strike force/main contingent and wipe out everything else at night

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

You’re assuming all the guards are visible there. The charr would certainly have someone hiding where they can watch the gate, with one hand on the detonator button at all times. Humans aren’t quite that paranoid, but if there isn’t at least one Shining Blade agent hiding somewhere and watching each of the gates at all time ready to put the rocket up in case of hostile action involving the gate, I’d eat my helmet.

in Lore

dunnberry.2964

That too is simple we either a. Get these fellows so intoxicated with fresh ale and spirits(strategy for all of hoelbrak to keep them happy) or pay them so much money they won’t be able to see past all the gold and make them the new puppet watchdogs of the area for their Asura overlords.

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

At the posters considering DR would be weak, it would kind of be weak.

However Anise and Jennah are both “powerful” Mesmers.

In GW1, Koro Sagewind, a Mesmer from an elite Ebon Vanguard squad, used a spell that literally created a gigantic illusion which was as tall as the Eye of the North. At the cost of temporary (some say permanent, but I saw otherwise…) blindness.

Now that Phantasms and Mesmers have evolved and are much more “stronger” (lore wise, gameplay wise though, I think GW1 Mesmer beats GW2) than their GW1 counterparts, they could very well spawn an iBerserker the size of EoTN building on top of the Asura zerg. And their would be 2, because it’s both Jennah and Anise.

Also, lol illusionary wave back into Rata Sum. See you when you’re load screen is finished!

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

in Lore

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

While there are some Asura, as individuals, who would be interested in world domination, their culture makes it unlikely that they’d go to war as a large, united front.

Mainstream Asura society places its highest value on the pursuit of knowledge. The people that they hold in highest esteem are the smartest and the cleverest. It doesn’t matter to what purpose you have devoted your intellectual pursuits, it matters that you do something new and interesting. So power is only useful in that it allows access to better research supplies, expands fieldwork opportunities, and the like. (This is why the Inquest are tolerated where the other major races ostracize their “bad factions.” They’re smart and produce research results. They’re considered bad because they go too far, not because their goals are wrong; whether the Inquest’s highest priority is actually research or power is an open question.)

Not all Asura are like this, of course. We see merchants, especially in Lion’s Arch. We see police officers, and soldiers. They have the Arcane Council, which many Asura deeply fear being appointed to because then they won’t have time to do their own research projects! But as a whole, their culture doesn’t have any reason to rule the world. They feel their superiority is self-evident and have no compulsion to prove it, and ruling the world would force them to be management rather than scientists.

Oh please, everyone knows the only thing Asura care about is the size of their ears.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

At the posters considering DR would be weak, it would kind of be weak.

However Anise and Jennah are both “powerful” Mesmers.

In GW1, Koro Sagewind, a Mesmer from an elite Ebon Vanguard squad, used a spell that literally created a gigantic illusion which was as tall as the Eye of the North. At the cost of temporary (some say permanent, but I saw otherwise…) blindness.

Now that Phantasms and Mesmers have evolved and are much more “stronger” (lore wise, gameplay wise though, I think GW1 Mesmer beats GW2) than their GW1 counterparts, they could very well spawn an iBerserker the size of EoTN building on top of the Asura zerg. And their would be 2, because it’s both Jennah and Anise.

Also, lol illusionary wave back into Rata Sum. See you when you’re load screen is finished!

Another thing to keep in mind is that it’s a city divided into sections – the inner citadel, the six districts we can access, and a few we can’t. Now, the big arches on the High Roads are quite a bit bigger than would be ideal for defence, but if they weren’t built without having something hidden away in their architecture to present a barrier to an attacking army, then the architects of Divinity’s Reach truly were incompetent.

If they can close off those gates, though, DR is the next best thing to a tiered city, and historically tiered cities were monsters for an invading army to take.

in Lore

dunnberry.2964

Yes those cities are generally hard to take…but they fall nonetheless such as Byzantium(now Istanbul) with the largest thickest walls in existence being taken over by the Turkish army

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Lore

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Asuras already rule the world, only indirectly.

in Lore

Korsbaek.9803

any city wall can fall given the right amount of time and size of the enemy army but then there is also the fact that the army needs to be huge and takeing on 3 charr capitals, a human capital at the same time would be no small task. Then comes the fact that they need to take down the sylvary witch we dont know if there is more then 1 tree to make them and take the norns out, where holdbreak is nothing but 1 persons lodge and they are a groupe of hunter so unless they turn the shiver peaks inside they cant take out the norn.

and charr is a race of war mongols and would never leave something like a asura gate unprotected and most likely have a few failsafes that would all aktivate the instance they asura army goes trough or they attack the first guard.

humans most likely have a huge amount of fail safes to even tho they are more trusting but remember there old enemy is the charr and still if they are allys now i will bet my hat on that they dont fully trust each other so humans will use there fail safes to even if they where ment to the charr;)

Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

After reading the comments I have developed my own theory for why the Asura don’t try to rule the world. The major reason is that such a task would divert resources and time that could be spent on personal projects, as a few mentioned. Another reason is that do the other races really have anything the Asura actually want? Physical traits, such as strength or speed, could be easily duplicated in Golems. In terms of technology the Asura could probably duplicate or surpass the other races level of technology by mere observation. The Asura might say they want to rule the world but in reality they just boasting their superiority in a way that only makes sense in their culture.

Out of the races the Charr would be the least likely the Inquest, or any Asura faction, would strike via the Asura Gate network. The Gate Technician expresses concern about the Charr’s ‘failsafe’ being volatile.

Also the Asura Gates that connect to the capital cities are found in Lion’s Arch. An army of Asura would be highly noticeable by the Lionguard who will definitely want to know the purpose of such a large movement of golems and Asura Golemancer/handlers.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: Amere.9607

Amere.9607

Well, for me asuras are very, very self-centered beings. They worry more about their personal achievement than about ruling the world (although they kinda combine pinky and the brain with great intellectual potential and somewhat silly attitude). That story line about the ball that shows future was more about becoming acknowledged genius, than influencing world around them.

For me, main question is: how civilization, based on such self-centric principles is able to stay in one piece in the first place.

in Lore

dunnberry.2964

No you are completely wrong…the infinity ball storyline the PC in that world is supreme leader of the world and they took it over forcefully with the steam creatures as his army…he also killed all the dragons with them he states so no he’s not influencing the world he controls it

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)