Why "Edge 2.0" isnt a name choice?

in Lore

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Q:

A much more fitting than a made up name. I actually chose the lamest dragon watch to reserve the unbroken for something kewl in future.

The vote should be:
- edge 2.0
- edge 2.1 (cz rytlock and some midseason player swaps)
- edge v2

Pls vote

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Lore

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A:

It seems most worthwhile to have a single discussion on the topic of the new name for Tyria’s heroes. Please join this thread to share your insights — they are most welcome!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Going to quote myself from reddit:

But… they have a name.

It’s called Destiny’s Edge.

Also, something I don’t get is why is Taimi included when Caithe and Canach – who were there for killing Mordremoth – not? And if this is about the biconics, then why include Rytlock?

Honestly, I can’t even bring myself to choose any of these names.

• The Unbroken sounds like a name belonging to torture victems or ex-slaves.
  • Eternity’s Guard sounds like a group that’s purely defensive – but Destiny’s Edge, born from Dragonborn’s Destiny and Edge of Steel, have always been a purely offensive group.
  • Dragon’s Watch fits as their main goal is fighting the Elder Dragons but again, that name sounds defensive rather than offensive – it sounds like they’re a group watching for the rise of dragon activity, a name suited for when the dragons were still a rising threat instead of the current standing threat.

None of the name fits.

I VOTE FOR KEEPING IT DESTINY’S EDGE. The name has meaning, history, and importance to the lore. It fits thematically, as each of the group has ties to the original Destiny’s Edge member, and naming it something new feels like another case of ignoring the foundation of lore that was so present in Season 1. And for goodness sake, include Caithe and Canach in the listings! Stop hating on Caithe! She’s done nothing wrong to you, writers!

Edit: And I just want to respond to one line in the blog: “The winning choice will be revealed in the next season of the Living World story.”

Isn’t this a bit late? The voting ends in early July. This means that any and all voice recording for the group’s name either hasn’t been done and won’t be done until after July 8th, or was done with multiple variants. Does this mean that Season 3 isn’t going to be coming for months still?

That quoted…

They aren’t a 2.0. They were, even if by reputation of deeds alone, effectively recruited into Destiny’s Edge just as the PC was when the PC fought alongside DE and pulled them back together.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I find them all a bit too on the nose.

The thing is, making it a comunity thing and only reducing our involvement on three names that feel “out of nowhere”, is rather weak.

While they certainly have three different scripts ready on how the party decides on a certain name, I kinda wished they would have given the players a bit more influence.

I would have liked some kind of contest, or something.

It was a lackluster experience with the naming of some areas in LA and this feels the same.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think this is covered in ‘thematically appropriate potential names’.

Whilst Destiny’s Edge 2.0 (or Edge 2.0/ DE2 etc.) is what players have been calling this group it wouldn’t realistically be what they call themselves.

For one thing it’d be incredibly presumptuous. Destiny’s Edge is probably the most famous guild in Tyria, you’d have a hard time finding anyone who hasn’t heard of them. Even for people who have just killed a dragon declaring yourself to be the continuation of that legacy is a huge statement.

But it also seems very disrespectful to the original. With HoT spoilers:a second death in the team and two members seriously injured it does seem like Destiny’s Edge is finished. But that should be for them to decide, not for someone else to say “ok, you guys had your chance, you’re done and we’re taking over now”.

Although with Eir’s son, Zojja’s protégé, Rox who seems to have some kind of relationship with Rytlock beyond wanting to join his warband, and the player character who brought DE back together and frequently joined them on missions as a sort of extra member I suppose there is an opportunity for them to pass the torch to us. But again that should be their decision and in that case we should stick with just Destiny’s Edge.

Although also maybe these guys just want to be their own guild instead of being seen as a new version of someone else’s.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

What about Destiny’s Edgier? Eh? Eh? Okay I see myself out.

In all seriousness though, I don’t get why they need a new name either. They were
Destiny’s Edge, it’s just that simple. They had the same mission and some of the members are the same or at least had history with the original DE members.

Besides those names all sound cringey. Dragon’s Watch (well Drachenwacht actually) got my vote, it’s the only thematically fitting of those names. But I’d prefer them to be
Destiny’s Edge.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Makes far more sense to keep Destiny’s Edge and grow the Guild and its legend (as a Guild does with players) than to rename it something utterly different. I’m not a big fan of those 3 names either as choices.

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I went with Unbroken as it was the least cringey to me. I never really liked Destiny’s Edge as a name either. Really all these names feel a bit like they are a bit forced.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think this is covered in ‘thematically appropriate potential names’.

Whilst Destiny’s Edge 2.0 (or Edge 2.0/ DE2 etc.) is what players have been calling this group it wouldn’t realistically be what they call themselves.

Here’s the thing…

THIS ISN’T THE NAME FOR THE BICONICS!

This is the naem for RYTLOCK and the biconics minus Canach.

Rytlock, a member of Destiny’s Edge, will also be a member of this new name.

Why?

It makes no sense. If they’re fighting with Destiny’s Edge, why make a brand new name and group? Why not just have them be recruits of Destiny’s Edge? Senior members and junior members?

For one thing it’d be incredibly presumptuous. Destiny’s Edge is probably the most famous guild in Tyria, you’d have a hard time finding anyone who hasn’t heard of them. Even for people who have just killed a dragon declaring yourself to be the continuation of that legacy is a huge statement.

So Rytlock must then become a member of a new group.

Gotcha.

Perfect sense.

But it also seems very disrespectful to the original. With HoT spoilers:a second death in the team and two members seriously injured it does seem like Destiny’s Edge is finished. But that should be for them to decide, not for someone else to say “ok, you guys had your chance, you’re done and we’re taking over now”.

It seems to me that so many people are so focused on the name for the biconics they forget that this name includes Rytlock, and furthermore, seem to forget that recruitment is a thing and that even if the original members of a group die off the group’s name doesn’t change so long as there are any members of it. If it did change, then there wouldn’t be any form of government, religious church, or other organization that would exist for more than a single generation.

Death of members of a group doesn’t mean said group is finished. It means that group goes on a recruitment campaign to get replacements. That is what every normal group does in real life. Only groups intend to be close nit friends don’t do this, and even if you count Destiny’s Edge as such, they still recruit members.

Although also maybe these guys just want to be their own guild instead of being seen as a new version of someone else’s.

And so they have Rytlock join.

Logic!

Yeah, I’m sorry, but no matter what, the “need” of a new name is non-existence. We aren’t talking about biconics. We aren’t talking about people struggling to live up to a famous name.

We’re talking about both iconics and biconics. We’re talking about two groups of people who have done the same deeds. Destiny’s Edge have killed an Elder Dragon, so have the biconics – though three individuals have killed two – and both groups killed half a dozen dragon champions too.

I went with Unbroken as it was the least cringey to me. I never really liked Destiny’s Edge as a name either. Really all these names feel a bit like they are a bit forced.

The Unbroken sounds like a name for a group of ex-slaves or torment victim survivors.

To me, it is the most cringing name.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This may be a massive over-simplification but it sounds to me like you think this new group is defined entirely by Rytlock’s presence. As was Destiny’s Edge. So as long as Rytlock is in a group that group is Destiny’s Edge.

Whereas it came as a surprise to me that Rytlock is included at all. I assumed that he was only working with us because we were the first Pact members he encountered when he arrived back from The Mists and once he’d found his guild members and Mordremoth was dead he would go back to his own guild. (In game mechanics terms we had a guild group with an opening and he was the PUG who joined at the last minute.)

But just because one person from a previous guild has joined doesn’t mean both groups are the same guild. Otherwise we may as well use the name of Rox’s old warband, or say we’re all members of the Priory like Marjory.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

What was once the B Team, is now the A Team, as such, we shall call them the Bae Team….
Just joking lol, and no I don’t ever use the term bae…..

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

To me Dragon’s Watch seems like the name of a town, The Unbroken seems like the name of a race and Eternity’s Guard seems like the name of a weapon or a piece of armor. None of the options really fit.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

This may be a massive over-simplification but it sounds to me like you think this new group is defined entirely by Rytlock’s presence. As was Destiny’s Edge. So as long as Rytlock is in a group that group is Destiny’s Edge.

It’s a false simplification. I am not saying “it should be Destiny’s Edge because Rytlock is there”. That is part of it, but far from the only reason.

Perhaps this is a better explanation of my line of thought:

1. The Pact Commander was taught by a member of DE, and worked with DE on numerous missions, ultimately bringing down an Elder Dragon with DE.
  2. The Pact Commander is called and considered a member of DE because of point 1.
  3. The biconics are taught by (a) member(s) of DE, work with members of DE on numerous missions, and ultimately bring down an elder Dragon with DE.
  4. The biconics are not called and considered a member of DE despite points 1 and 3.

Why are the biconics being treated as a Group B at this point? There is no reasoning for this, when they are doing the same thing as someone who is now considered the Group A.

If the group formed at the end of Season 1, as was originally planned (read: Destiny’s Orphans), then yes, them being their own group makes sense.

Rytlock being part of this new group name just makes it odder.

The only explanation there really is, is one that doesn’t make sense either: Destiny’s Edge disbands, and they make a new group out of the heroes who fought so hard against Mordremoth – sans Canach and Caithe. Why is it not making sense?

1. Logan and Zojja still live.
  2. Pact Commander, Rytlock and Caithe are/should be part of both groups.
  3. Biconics could easily just be treated as recruits to Destiny’s Edge, just as the Pact Commander.

For that matter, why is Caithe not mentioned while Rytlock is? Do they intend to keep the distrust of Caithe alive, despite the fact that she did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for her? Rytlock and the Pact Commander (and probably Canach) should never have found her actions unusual or traitorous in the first place – I really do not hope that ArenaNet doesn’t keep this ridiculous plot concept alive (especially since Bobby Stein acknowledged that people felt that way over Caithe’s “depiction”).

And why is Canach not mentioned? Presumably, only reason would be because he’s still a lap dog of Anise.

But just because one person from a previous guild has joined doesn’t mean both groups are the same guild. Otherwise we may as well use the name of Rox’s old warband, or say we’re all members of the Priory like Marjory.

Not one. Two – which includes the leader.

And it should be three.

Furthermore, unlike your strawman comparisons, most members of the biconics has a tie to Destiny’s Edge – either through lineage (Braham, possibly Rox), or mentorship (Rox and Taimi). Only Marjory and Kasmeer are really the odd men out there.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

I might be remembering this wrong but didn’t Destiny’s Edge come about when Edge of Steel and Dragonspawn’s Destiny fused into a single guild? Maybe they’re doing a similar thing here, two guilds are combining into one and getting a new name in the process.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

And why is Canach not mentioned? Presumably, only reason would be because he’s still a lap dog of Anise.

While I agree that the rest of this business is being messily handled, here I think they made the right call. Canach was only with us because of Anise, and his beef was with Mordremoth in particular, not Elder Dragons in general. The natural thing for him here would be to either spin off into the White Mantle/Shining Blade arc that’s possibly being teased (hopefully not- it’ll be a problem if the most recognizable character in what should be a human arc is once again a sylvari), or to get his freedom from Anise, fulfilling his redemption quest, and then bow out for a while, perhaps indefinitely. And I, for one, would welcome a character leaving when their story is done, instead of being killed off or shoehorned into further places they have no stake in being.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I might be remembering this wrong but didn’t Destiny’s Edge come about when Edge of Steel and Dragonspawn’s Destiny fused into a single guild? Maybe they’re doing a similar thing here, two guilds are combining into one and getting a new name in the process.

The name Dragonspawn’s Destiny was only ever made for the announcer at the arena, though the name Destiny’s Edge did come out of the two.

But the biconics weren’t ever their own guild.

Dear ANet writers,