Why are Destroyers called different

in Lore

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

Maybe someone asked before me, and it was solved, but I cant find any answers on forum when search doesnt work, so, why?

In Gw1 Destroyers were called: Destroyer of Bones, of Flesh, of Lives, etc. While in GW2 they are called Destroyer crab, destroyer harpy, Destroyer troll…

Those old names are much better than new ones. Is there any lore-based reason of changing their designation?

#ELEtism

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Destroyers are creations of rock and stone that are made in mockery of living beings. The “newer” destroyers after Eye of the North are obviously mimicking crabs, trolls, and harpies (of what we’ve seen that is). In GW1, the mockeries weren’t so clear.

I’m guessing that’s why the names changed.

There are some “old destroyers” from the depths that we see in Sorrow’s Embrace explorable which share the old naming convention (Destroyer of Worlds, accompanied by Destroyers of Earth which use the Destroyer Troll model), and the dragon champion in Edge of Destiny (Destroyer of Life) also shares that naming.

Further reading:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Destroyer
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordus
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Guess-that-Last-Gen-Destroyer/first#content

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

That probably makes some sense thanks!

#ELEtism

in Lore

Posted by: NinjaChris.9340

NinjaChris.9340

Weren’t the old destroyers named by the dwarfs ? I believe they just like being dramatic^^ Seriously, “Destroyer of Life”? Who talks like that?
Also, the old destroyers seemed to be more powerful than the ones we’r confronted with today, since they were in closer proximity to Primordus and his champions.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The only names coming from dwarven legend is the Great Destroyer (several of them, actually – Great Destroyers are akin to The Shatterer it seems) and the Elder Dragons’ names themselves – specifically, Primordus, Jormag, and Zhaitan.
Dwarven legend, as far as we know, never named destroyers the Destroyer of Hope/Deeds/Sinew/Bones/Earth/Spirits/Thought/Lives/etc. Let alone the “newer” old-gen-named destroyers (Destroyer of Worlds/Life).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Weren’t the old destroyers named by the dwarfs ? I believe they just like being dramatic^^ Seriously, “Destroyer of Life”? Who talks like that?

Apparently a race of people willing to destroy all individuality and sacrifice the future of their people in order to be better at hitting lava monster.

in Lore

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

Apparently a race of people willing to destroy all individuality and sacrifice the future of their people in order to be better at hitting lava monster.

no in gw1 each destroyer had a different skill bar. So the names were related to what ever build they were using. This helped teams focus their targets and decide killing order. In guild wars 2 destroyers have creature skills. Far from the builds used In gw1. Having names based off the creature they are modeled after helps players recognize their attack scheme instead. Destroyer harpie, “oh its going to dodge a lot” destroyer troll, " melee hitter"…. In guild wars 1 there were large groups of enemies, sometimes names were your best chance at calling out a target before combat. You see something named Destroyer of Earth, you know its skill set will be based around an earth eles.

in Lore

Posted by: SoulyD.9125

SoulyD.9125

If those names exist in lore, someone had to come up with them. Or most destroyers aren’t named in lore and are just refered to as destroyers. They usually don’t run around with nameplates and they don’t talk much about themself. The bigger ones could be named by asura. Because their old world and lives were destroyed, i can see why they would name a champion Destroyer of Worlds/Life. Especially if it is a champion that matches descriptions from those times.