Why are there lvl 2 deer and lvl 50 deer?

in Lore

Posted by: Emprize.9806

Emprize.9806

I’ve seen lvl 2 Moa in queensdale and lvl 23 Moa in the upper-level zones. Same model, same name. Same attacks, etc. Also, lvl 2 doe in Queensdale and lvl 50 doe. You would think that a lvl 25 Charr Warrior with heavy armor, greatsword, and long bow can kill a doe easily. Let’s say that the Charr goes against the lvl 50 doe and loses even by starting with a longbow from a distance and a greatsword for melee, yet dies in one hit by the doe. Then he goes back to his homeland and tells his crew a doe just killed him even with full armor and fine weapons. How does that make sense? Just put a neutral doe critter there to make the landscape more ‘lively.’ If you want to put a lvl 50 doe then at least use what creativity you have to put something like “Black Flame-breathing doe.” It’s a fantasy game, after all.

But a Charr warrior dying to a Doe? “LOL” is all I can say to sum up both my disappointment and amusement.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Mechanics, mate. Would you rather see a world where most non-monstrous species only exist in the backyard of the major cities?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Game mechanics.

This also isn’t really a lore question at all…

in Lore

Posted by: Emprize.9806

Emprize.9806

Mechanics, mate. Would you rather see a world where most non-monstrous species only exist in the backyard of the major cities?

Can you be more specific about ‘mechanics?’ I know what mechanics are but am unable to see how a lvl 50 doe fits into the mechanics. And as i said before, instead of a ridiculous lvl 50 doe, Anet should just place a neutral doe there (such as raccoons and rabbits, critters that die in one hit)

in Lore

Posted by: moomooo.9357

moomooo.9357

It’s there to gate content. It’s not a true representation of how strong your hero is. If you waltz into a zone and a doe one shots you, yeeeeah, you’re in the wrong zone, come back later.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Can you be more specific about ‘mechanics?’ I know what mechanics are but am unable to see how a lvl 50 doe fits into the mechanics. And as i said before, instead of a ridiculous lvl 50 doe, Anet should just place a neutral doe there (such as raccoons and rabbits, critters that die in one hit)

That would mean not having yellow creatures, which would mean the places filled with yellows would either have to be replaced with whites, which makes for a zone that feels like a kiddy playground, or filled with reds, which makes for a zone that feels like Orr or GW1. Either option seriously detracts from how fun the zone is to play. That means there has to be yellows, which means there have to be creatures that can defend themselves but are not usually hostile- like deer. The only part that doesn’t really make sense is the fact that there are sometimes white deer.

in Lore

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

well you see what happened was those deer were very intelligent and though you couldn’t see them they watched and sometimes even participated in the great battles of old pre-searing ascalon fighting against both charr and humans who claimed to be legendary defenders of ascalon racking up kills and gaining combat experience, these skills were passed down for generations and refined into what we see now innocent looking killing machines. You may realize this is similar to the rabbits who work in tandem with the vaettirs to kill their human enemies.
“the more you know”

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Lore

moomooo.9357

well you see what happened was those deer were very intelligent and though you couldn’t see them they watched and sometimes even participated in the great battles of old pre-searing ascalon fighting against both charr and humans who claimed to be legendary defenders of ascalon racking up kills and gaining combat experience, these skills were passed down for generations and refined into what we see now innocent looking killing machines. You may realize this is similar to the rabbits who work in tandem with the vaettirs to kill their human enemies.
“the more you know”

Brilliant. It’s essentially training, where one day they’ll enter the Mists to fight those dastardly WvWers.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Brilliant. It’s essentially training, where one day they’ll enter the Mists to fight those dastardly WvWers.

Ya, I heard those red world WvW deer are total monsters!

in Lore

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

So….you got killed by a doe?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Levels, and level scaling (down or up), are mechanics utilized to herd players into specific places. Lore-wise, all creatures can be considered the same “level”, it’s just their skills and equipment that really differ.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

It is really interesting topic. Almost all of the games I ever played are like this. You leave the main city, kill a lvl 2 rat, then you go to a lvl 50 zone and you see lvl 50 rat.

I’ve seen only one game that changed this concept. It was Dark & Light (the game is dead already, it had the biggest world ever, but not so many players).
In D&L, you went out of the city, killed lvl 2 rats, then lvl 5 wolves etc, then you leveled up and went a bit further and noticed a camp with ogres, who were lvl 40 surrounded by lvl 5 wolves and lvl 2 rats. I really liked the idea, it was much more realistic. Also there was one more thing, that I really liked: respawning monsters animations. Imagine a desert filled with spiders. You kill all of them and waiting for a respawn. Then you see some grup making a hole in the ground and trying to go outside. After that, a spider is running very fast to that grub from somewhere out of your screen, catches the grub and eats it. After that you see a spider standing in this place, so you can kill it again.
All of the creatures got these fancy respawning animations, skeletons rising from the ground, dodo birds falling from the sky, spiders eating grubs etc, not just popping from nowhere like in 99% of the games. It was really cool I can say.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

This is basically what you get in a game that has levels, but didn’t really want to have levels – just that everyone expected it – so it made them mean effectively nothing.

Except, as Konig pointed out, gating content. It does do that reasonably effectively.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

So….you got killed by a doe?

So its the deer’s equivalent to the black moa?

Are we going to see Anet make a reference to Emprize Charr with a quest that has a Charr with a similar name asking us to help them tame some animal or acquire some item to prove themselves to their warband?

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

But what you’re saying is not accurate, because of level-scaling. When you go back to that level 2 area, the doe there is only marginally less of a threat than the doe in the level 50 area. So if you’re dying to a level 50 doe (not sure how that’s even possible considering they’re less dangerous than just about any enemy of the same level) you’d die to the level 2 doe almost as easily.

In other words, all the does are the same effective level. They are all the same level as you, no matter what zone you’re in.

And furthermore, if a level 50 charr warrior is dying to any doe in the game then that “LOL” is very much deserved. Even a lone bandit of the same level can kill a doe.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

What he’s saying is that, while level 25, he got his face stomped in by an enemy twice his level, and he’s upset that said enemy happened to be a deer.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Wasn’t there some thread a while back that claimed deer are OP? Well, that’s your answer

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Well just be glad you’ve never came across rabbits that have levels…

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Lore

moomooo.9357

Well there’s a rabbit in FotM…

in Lore

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

There are ‘deer’ and then there are ‘oh deer!’

I’ll let you work out which ones are level 50

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

The level 50 deers killed 65 340 285 boars.

As for the level 50 boars, they must have killed 65 340 285 players.

As for the players, they must have killed 65 340 285 deers.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Lore

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I read this topic and all i can think of is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1vjdEfxjX8

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

My guess is that level isn’t an actual representation of strength, but rather a relative representation of strength.

We, the players, change level all the time when rezoning. Why can’t we assume NPCs ‘downlevel’ too when the move from Gandarran Fields to Queensdale?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Lore

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

psst! Some of them just leveled up. . I believe deer mostly level up by crafting grass into cud. It gives good xp to deer.

Some wild animals are more combat oriented and get xp by killing players and sometimes other races.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I believe deer mostly level up by crafting grass into cud. It gives good xp to deer.

Next thing you know they start playing the TP.

Deers flooding the TP with legendaries in an upcoming LS confirmed.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working