Why five extra days? (A terrifying theory)

in Lore

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Now, as some of you recall, the developers recently tacked on five extra days to the Tyrian calender, claiming they had always been there and, similar to The Secret World event, Guild Wars Classic experienced periods of “Nameless Days”. The obvious reason is that someone forgot Wintersday in Tyria actually isn’t supposed to line up with our Christmas, yadda ya.

But I have a much more terrifying idea:

We don’t really know if the Elder Dragons we’ve seen the minions of so far are the only ones, in fact, it’s all but confirmed there are more out there. But what if one of them is REALLY out there? In space.

An Elder Dragon of the Stars so massive, it’s sheer existence has shifted Tyria’s orbital revolutions enough to add whole DAYS to the calender?

What if the Star Elder Dragon observes us from afar, examining us like one would watch microbe swarm and multiply in a drop of water?

What if the Star Elder Dragon draws closer and closer every year, and by the time we know he’s there to fight him, it’s too late, the entire star system Tyria resides in begins uncontrollably tumbling towards it?

in Lore

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Not sure what I just read…
They added days to the calender? I have not heard of such. Whats with the wintersday thing? I’m confused, this makes absolutely no sense.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Lore

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Do you live in Denver by any chance?

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Zeefa, the Tyrian calendar was only 360 days long, and started its new year more around March (our time) than January. They’ve turned it into a mirror of Earth in term of orbit time.

in Lore

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

And where do you see this?
Winterdays was always in December in GW1 too (maybe not lorewise, but sure was mechanicly) With the final event at 31’st December/1’st January, now there just is no final (or I missed it) so whatever.

Our year might as well start at March rather than January, it is just a matter of where we decided to put it in. Infact it would make a bit more sense, since december comes deci or something which means 10 and so should be the 10th month and not the 12th.
There was Canthan newyear which is closer to spring, but that coincides with the real life Chinese newyear, dunno if you meant Canthan newyear, if not I am sorry, but if it is , it has nothing to do with extra days or anything.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Lore

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I see here only great nonsense, not a terrifying idea.

In 250 years can happen alot, even such tiny revolutions like that the time calculations for a year get “corrected”

Just see these 5 days as just say, Tyrias version of the “intercalary year”, just that the tyrian version is several days longer and that in such a year the tyrian year kitten days more, while we have every four years just 1 day more.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in Lore

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Interesting theories, but this thread should probably be moved to the Lore subforum.

I should be writing.

in Lore

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

H.P. Lovecraft called.

He wants his eldritch abomination back.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Lore

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

What if the Star Elder Dragon is actually a fabulous Space Butterfly?

in Lore

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Of course, Julius and Augustus Caesar are responsible for the extra 2 months in our calendar… but it is the Gregorian Calendar system that makes 7month (September) into the 9th, 8month into the 10th etc.

Considering that the old Tyrian calendar had 360 days and now has 365… well, I just kind of figured that Tyria rotates at a slightly slower speed so the days are slightly longer to compensate. This would make sense of a planet at a different stage of its evolutionary lifespan than Terra, and/or of a different mass and speed.

Personally, I’d have preferred it if they had stayed at 360, how much more interesting and immersive would it have been if our characters got their birthdays on a 360 day calendar not 365? But then a 365 reinforces my opinion of Tyria being a counter-Terra or alternative-Terra.

Pshaw, they’ll be having ‘leap years’ next!

in Lore

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Now, as some of you recall, the developers recently tacked on five extra days to the Tyrian calender, claiming they had always been there and, similar to The Secret World event, Guild Wars Classic experienced periods of “Nameless Days”. The obvious reason is that someone forgot Wintersday in Tyria actually isn’t supposed to line up with our Christmas, yadda ya.

But I have a much more terrifying idea:

We don’t really know if the Elder Dragons we’ve seen the minions of so far are the only ones, in fact, it’s all but confirmed there are more out there. But what if one of them is REALLY out there? In space.

An Elder Dragon of the Stars so massive, it’s sheer existence has shifted Tyria’s orbital revolutions enough to add whole DAYS to the calender?

What if the Star Elder Dragon observes us from afar, examining us like one would watch microbe swarm and multiply in a drop of water?

What if the Star Elder Dragon draws closer and closer every year, and by the time we know he’s there to fight him, it’s too late, the entire star system Tyria resides in begins uncontrollably tumbling towards it?

That’s a Scary thought RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

Sincerly, Me.

in Lore

Posted by: Bellz.6759

Bellz.6759

I for one welcome our new starry overlord

in Lore

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Star Dragon is a black hole. Tyrian star system is soon consumed by it. GW3 announced – players starting on the original human homeworld.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Lore

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

-no one ever

in Lore

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

-no one ever

I like that idea though, as ridiculous as it is….

But, if you follow the logic that Marvel and DC, even Tolkien instilled in us, there is something even bigger, and even more powerful than the Star sized Elder Dragon that makes it look like but an ant, and makes even the gods seem like lost confused children by comparison.

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Are you implying that this Star Dragon is an intelligence vast, cool, and unsympathetic? Because if it is, our only hope is to pull a Calvin and catch a quick cold.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Lore

Posted by: Silavor.6257

Silavor.6257

Winterdays was always in December in GW1 too (maybe not lorewise, but sure was mechanicly) With the final event at 31’st December/1’st January, now there just is no final (or I missed it) so whatever.

Our year might as well start at March rather than January, it is just a matter of where we decided to put it in. Infact it would make a bit more sense, since december comes deci or something which means 10 and so should be the 10th month and not the 12th.
There was Canthan newyear which is closer to spring, but that coincides with the real life Chinese newyear, dunno if you meant Canthan newyear, if not I am sorry, but if it is , it has nothing to do with extra days or anything.

Wintersday was the spring equinox in Gw1, that’s why it technically happens in our March. Tyria and Earth times and celebrations were never designed to sync up, but now they’re being forcefully shoved together into one entity anyway.

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Or you could all do like me and not accept the validity of this blatant – and utterly unnecessary – retcon of lore.

Are you (Angel and ANet) trying to tell me that a race that has spent most of its existence in the Depths can not only match but surpass the astronomical geniuses of Ascalonian mages, Elonian Sky Scholars, and Canthan sages and astrologers? Humanity has lived under the open skies far longer than those pesky asura. If their astronomers say it takes Tyria 360 days to take a full round around the sun, we all better believe them…

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The short version is that Wintersday has always been the celebration of winter turning into spring – e.g., the end if winter. We celebrate it OOG at the beginning of winter.

The Mouvelian calendar, as the gw1 manual states, starts at the beginning if spring. That is the Spring Equinox. Our (northern hemisphere’s) March 20th.

The long version: DO NOT SYNC UP THINGS THAT WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO BE SYNCED UP. THERE IS NO REASON. THERE IS NO LOGIC. IT MAKES NO FUCJING SENSE.

Yes, allcaps and bold was needed because that is how idiotic the blatant retcon is. If they expect the calanders to sync up then:

• Are we supposed to think that kitten hits the fan every 2 weeks in Tyria? If so, why the Hell does Tyria not go into high alert every 14 days? You’d think they’d learn by now.
  • Then Wintersday needs to be moved to be the first update if March each year. Christmas time be kitten ed.
  • Fix the day/night system so that it syncs up too, as it is we have too many things breaking the sync to make it work.
  • Does Tyria have leap years too now? If not, hah you’re not synced! -_-
  • And are we supposed to believe that there really has been 5 days missing for thousands of historical documentation? Because between just gw1 and gw2 we’d have gotten about 500 days – almost two years out of wack. Humanity isn’t so stupid to miss those five days for 1,500+ years.

IT MAKES NO kittenING SENSE TO ADD THISE 5 DAYS SO ARBITRARILY AND TRY TO HALF-kitten SYNC UP THE CALENDARS. REDACT THAT kitten ED STATEMENT OR FINISH THE JOB. NO MORE HALF-ASSING OR kittenING UP THE LORE FOR CONTENT DELIVERY. IT ISN’T NEEDED. AT ALL.

Takes a deep breath

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Thalador.4218

Huzzah! VIVA LA L’ORE REVOLUTION!

Ahem, yeah. But I still hold my statement that a revolution is necessary at this point.

On-topic: I also bloodily hate the friggin’ fact with a fiery passion that the game years are aligning with IRL years now. Come on… Are you trying to tell me only Scarlet’s kitten happened in 1,326 AE (slight exaggeration) and that we couldn’t hunt her down in one, bloody year? Jormag was already on the move in 1,325 AE, same with Primo… are you saying they just went “Oh darn, Big Z bit the dust… let’s act like we’re not even here, maybe they’ll spare us. blows innocently” That would take a celestial amount of my disbelief’s suspension to accept.

No! Do it like you did in GW1! Prophecies and Factions were happening in the same year. Nightfall happened 3 years later. GW:EN another year later, then WiK in 1079 AE, while the events of WoC ended in 1080 AE. When the next expansion arrives, may the Six bring about that salvation sooner (you’re going to reveal it this year, right? nudge-nudge), say, in 2015, I don’t want to see 1,328 AE on it just because three years had passed IRL.

Same with any future expansion. No 1,330 AE on the one that gets published in 2017. In-universe time =/= IRL time!

Of course, it would take the realization that the LW Seasons concept is kind of garbage, but then we all know such is never going to happen. After all, Colin knows it’s a huge success, no matter what we naysayers utter.

A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yeah, the in-universe time will quickly get old fast.

Why?

The characters, PC included, do not age. We do. And things happen at unrealistic paces.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

I fear my mentioning of the Calender sort of sidetracks this thread. In the end, it’s a not a serious theory, but certainly a scary and cool one that just when we finally think we’ve felled the last Elder Dragon, our characters look up and see a horrible, cosmic dragon looming over us with a breath weapon that belongs on the Death Star.

H.P. Lovecraft called.

He wants his eldritch abomination back.

Part of the inspiration!

What if the Star Elder Dragon is actually a fabulous Space Butterfly?

With wings made from beautiful nebula and a tiny pair of speedos with a butterfly on the groin! Say his name with love! PAPILLON! Oh, wait, that’s also pretty terrifying.

That’s a Scary thought RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

Where can you run? You think Rata Sum can just float away into orbit? Much less even sustain a population enclosed entirely within?

Are you implying that this Star Dragon is an intelligence vast, cool, and unsympathetic? Because if it is, our only hope is to pull a Calvin and catch a quick cold.

That will only work on it’s minions. Who will attack us in tripod fighting machines which will devastate entire zerg trains with its heat ray.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

It would be an interesting theory. We know for a fact that the Outer Space in Tyria is, at least, slightly different from Outer Space irl. We gain this from Factions, where we learn that certain constellations of stars hold the souls of various humans (and possibly other races). And on top of that, celestial beings (similar to the others) came down from the heavens and blessed Cantha every year. So there is something else to outer space, and I, for one, am interested to explore exactly what is going on out there. My favorite theory is that Outer Space is merely a void between Tyria and the Mists.

in Lore

Thalador.4218

The constellations don’t hold souls, as they are celestial bodies themselves and it is their physical replicas (starlight), avatars we fight – they are spirits in no way. They are named after legendary people and represent various aspects of the Mists, namely the ones that became their destiny.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I’m sorry Thal, but the wording of the descriptors of each celestial lead me to believe that each celestial was the embodiment of the person mentioned. If there is text elsewhere that contradicts this, then by all means I’ll admit that I’m wrong, but I do not remember it. Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that the way in which celestials interact with the world, specifically Cantha, sets the Outer Space of Tyria apart from RL Outer Space.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

With wings made from beautiful nebula and a tiny pair of speedos with a butterfly on the groin! Say his name with love! PAPILLON! Oh, wait, that’s also pretty terrifying.

That’s the only scary thing other than a butchery of lore mentioned in this thread thus far.

Where can you run? You think Rata Sum can just float away into orbit? Much less even sustain a population enclosed entirely within?

Into the Mists.

The constellations don’t hold souls, as they are celestial bodies themselves and it is their physical replicas (starlight), avatars we fight – they are spirits in no way. They are named after legendary people and represent various aspects of the Mists, namely the ones that became their destiny.

Ohrly?

“Once when humans first walked the world, a man named Chong embodied these virtues, and when the end of his years came, the gods wished to elevate him as a celestial animal. Because he shared those virtues with a humble pig, he chose that as his celestial form. So this year at Shing Jea Monastery, his celestial form descends from the heavens for a great feast. You should not miss it…it will be twelve years before he comes again.”

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lorespinner_Ri_So

Yes, they are souls indeed. Yes, they do descend. During Nahpui Quarter – those are mere reflections indeed. But Canthan New Year are the celestial beings themselves that descend, and they are indeed souls of the dead elevated into the stars. No reason for the other four to not be the same, even if they do not descend.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

That’s the only scary thing other than a butchery of lore mentioned in this thread thus far.

Konig, you are my lore hero hahaha, I love reading what you have to say in these boards.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

In 250 years can happen alot, even such tiny revolutions like that the time calculations for a year get “corrected”

It was never explained in a sensible manner such as the one you present. It was simply retconned in the retcon interview of retconning retcons :

Mikk

Friends and fellows. Due to recent (amazing!) reasoning by scholars of the Astronomagical Society, we are pleased to announce that we have added the five hidden days to our calendar year! That’s five extra days we’ve recognized for you to advance your work before the annual review. Gifts and gratitude are unnecessary. We merely acknowledged them officially; we did not create them. May all your projects be almost as successful as ours.

So now you see why Konig is in a bad mood. I really like the Star Elder Dragon explanation – it just needs to be toned down a bit from “doomsday” to “yet another ED to kill.”

I might be a little grateful that there is no official attempt at a reasonable explanation because it would have invariably gone something like this: “Scarlet (or some as-yet unnamed Sylvari)…

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Lore

Thalador.4218

“Once when humans first walked the world, a man named Chong embodied these virtues, and when the end of his years came, the gods wished to elevate him as a celestial animal. Because he shared those virtues with a humble pig, he chose that as his celestial form. So this year at Shing Jea Monastery, his celestial form descends from the heavens for a great feast. You should not miss it…it will be twelve years before he comes again.”

Yes, they are souls indeed. Yes, they do descend. During Nahpui Quarter – those are mere reflections indeed. But Canthan New Year are the celestial beings themselves that descend, and they are indeed souls of the dead elevated into the stars. No reason for the other four to not be the same, even if they do not descend.

Again, celestial form and it is probably only applicable to the twelve celestial animals. It is the replica of the constellation that marks the Pig. Chong was indeed elevated to the heavens (probably the Eternal Paradise), and given the special opportunity, his celestial avatar can descend to Tyria every twelve years.

Given how tragic each of the Nahpui stories are, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hai Jii’s soul was elevated to something of King Frozenwind’s rank, and now he is in the Underworld, punishing the wicked. Kuonghsang would be likely to be wandering the Mists themselves, forever wondering what he misunderstood. Kaijun Don could be in the Realm of Torment for her crimes and pact with a demon, and Tahmu lost between worlds with unfinished business and anguish for the destruction of her people preventing her rest in the heavens.

About the Elder Star Dragon: I’ve been theorizing for long that one should exist, being the master of Kuunavang and mostly benevolent in nature. Its power could actually be the source of the Forgotten’s purifying rituals, as Kuunavang could easily repel Shiro’s corruption and cleanse herself completely. That would, however, make it the sworn enemy of the “six swallowers.”

(edited by Thalador.4218)

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

About the Elder Star Dragon: … and mostly benevolent in nature.

Right, due to it’s non-terrestrial nature the Elder Star Dragon (getting tired of typing Elder Star Dragon so I am going to run with “Sparkles”) wouldn’t have an investment in the ebb and flow of magic on the planet. However that raises another question – why would Sparkles even care what happens on the planet? Sparkles could have made the 5 day adjustment but that wouldn’t nessecarily have to be malevolent or benevolent (nor would Sparkles have to have either of those natures) – the dragon lives in so much of a larger realm that our actions (and the other ED’s actions) would likely be entirely inconsequential; unless ANet makes our actions matter (e.g. “Super Ley Lines” that connect the plants in the solar system that we have disturbed by killing Zhaitan); but ANet haven’t mentioned a Star Elder Dragon and therefore I doubt we would get official lore :P . Still, I really REALLY like the idea.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Thalador.4218

Keep in mind that the innate ability of dragons to soak magic in like a sponge then release it doesn’t make them the monstrosities the the six ED are. As I’ve said elsewhere, it is like these Elder Dragons have forgotten that they can’t keep the absorbed magic in themselves, but ravenously feast on everything, hoping it would change for once. Glint – once freed – felt no need to consume and corrupt (the same with Kuunavang, Albax, Shiny, and the Saltspray dragons up until the Jade Wind – who were renown of their benevolence). Hence why I believe the Elder Dragons we face today have been corrupted and twisted, becoming abominations from something far noble.

Also, “Sparkles” could still be sleeping somewhere on Tyria, she doesn’t have to be drifting in space – even though, if she were to exist, I would say she transcended the mortal realm long ago.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Into the Mists.

Ohrly?

Wow! I may have been right???

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Thalador’s really just nitpicking terminology that could mean multiple things out of context. If you read the context then it’s pretty kitten clear that Chong was made the Celestial Pig. I don’t know why Thalador insists it must be metaphorical for the gods making some apparently non-sentient constellation that can create sentient star-point-containing spirit-like bodies on the world – as that’s what it sounds like he’s insisting to me.

I have a thought for why, but I’m sure he’d hate me for saying it even though he’s gladly bragged it before on other topics.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Keep in mind that the innate ability of dragons to soak magic in like a sponge then release it doesn’t make them the monstrosities the the six ED are. As I’ve said elsewhere, it is like these Elder Dragons have forgotten that they can’t keep the absorbed magic in themselves, but ravenously feast on everything, hoping it would change for once. Glint – once freed – felt no need to consume and corrupt (the same with Kuunavang, Albax, Shiny, and the Saltspray dragons up until the Jade Wind – who were renown of their benevolence). Hence why I believe the Elder Dragons we face today have been corrupted and twisted, becoming abominations from something far noble.

Which is an important point about the “the Elder Dragons are just doing what they should be doing for the sake of the world” arguments that have been popping up every so often.

We haven’t had any solid information on the relationship of the dragons and dragon-like beings of Cantha and magic, except that many of them were corrupted by the Jade Wind, but the Zephyrite content shows that Glint was still absorbing magic without feeling the need to go on a massive rampage and destroy everything. The dragons may be an inherent part of the balance of Tyria, but their actions show them to have been tipped out of balance.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Thalador.4218

Thalador’s really just nitpicking terminology that could mean multiple things out of context. If you read the context then it’s pretty kitten clear that Chong was made the Celestial Pig. I don’t know why Thalador insists it must be metaphorical for the gods making some apparently non-sentient constellation that can create sentient star-point-containing spirit-like bodies on the world – as that’s what it sounds like he’s insisting to me.

I have a thought for why, but I’m sure he’d hate me for saying it even though he’s gladly bragged it before on other topics.

Konig, you’re so pathetic when you’re trying to prove your superiority. I ask you this: who in the ploughing world “nitpicks terminology that could mean multiple things out of context” ALL the bloody time, just to justify his little hypotheses (or ones gathered from a much more reliable source, presenting as his own by “mere chance”), hmm? Doesn’t ring a bell? Well, I can’t hold you responsible for not looking in the mirror often. Yeah, unfortunately, I know it all too well that it’s hard to face what we really are.

Also, your ability to understand what I mean is quite primitive. It’s not the gods that created the constellations. The constellations/stars were there always there, but the soul and the story/aspect of the Mists behind them were added once the legendary person passed on into the Mists.

As to your “insult:” you’re wrong. What I presented in the above posts is not what happens in the fan-fiction at all, but what I said here is what I believe to be closer to canon. Just generalizing without any stretching examples: the rank of celestial is more like a soul ascended to the heavens/side of the gods, while the beings we see in Nahpui and CNY are their avatars – apparitions made of their respective constellations’ starlight.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

And the hostility resurfaces.

I actually nitpick terminology in context, not out of it. Thank you very much. And yeah, I know I nitpick terminology frequently, but only because without such people tend to make simple assumptions of things that aren’t or may not be. The words from the Lorespinner is pretty clear cut – and yeah, there is a chance for her to be wrong, but as with anything else until there is evidence to support otherwise she is all we have and thus we should go with what she says until otherwise presented.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Ooookay

*Puts hands up and slowly slinks away hoping not to be noticed

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

…Cool it, both of you.

Personally, my opinion, based on what we’re told by the Lorespinner, is that the celestials that come down for the Canthan New Year are actually the personalities of the souls that were raised as celestial beings, returning to visit the world.

Whether the physical constellations themselves actually contain the souls of the beings they represent, or whether they’re just a sign commemorating that the soul has achieved that status… who the cat knows? We haven’t been given that level of detail, and it’s not worth slinging insults over. I would say that I do think that the Nahpui celestials, with the exception of Tahmu and possibly Hai Jin, are separate to the zodiac celestials – the Kirin and Turtle Dragon particularly seem to be commemorating some colossal mistake rather than something to be rewarded.

This is, of course, assuming this lore is even still valid any more, now that the formation of constellations is linked to the rise of Elder Dragons. Although that could be a subtle hint of some connection between the gods and whatever process leads to the formation of new constellations to warn of ED activity.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

I’m totally buying Space Dragon theory

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

This is, of course, assuming this lore is even still valid any more, now that the formation of constellations is linked to the rise of Elder Dragons. Although that could be a subtle hint of some connection between the gods and whatever process leads to the formation of new constellations to warn of ED activity.

Er… no it isn’t. From the very end of the Jotun path of Arah:

“This is an amazing discovery! The jotun’s sky-sweeper shows a stellar match with the last time the dragons awoke. "
What does this prove?
“It shows that the awakening of the dragons is a natural and cyclical thing. The stars only indicate the passing ages. They do not determine events here.
When did it last happen?
“Around ten thousand years ago. You know what this means? The Elder Dragons may have been responsible for the extinction of the Giganticus Lupicus!”

Basically: A star is formed every 10,000 years, like a clock, and can be used to accurately tell time between ages. The rise of the Elder Dragons coinciding with this formation is pure coincidence (I would say Varra may even be wrong as it being proof of the timespan between ED risings, given the whole stealing magic/hiding everyone and then free magic that happened – that should have screwed over the process so either the previous rise was sooner than thought, or rises before that was likely longer than since the previous rise).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Well, there’s definite reason to assume that the span between the previous rise and now could well have been screwed up. I mean, the races were able to prematurely force the ED’s into hibernation, and with the gods’ use of the bloodstone the magic that they needed was flowing back into the world. The last rise was a complete disaster, if we’re to believe that every time prior they consumed all magic and destroyed near all life forms.

in Lore

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I wish thread subscriptions worked, but they do not (did they ever?). This comment is my way of being able to track and return to follow the discussions in this thread. Thank you all for the great read!

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |