Why isn't everything on fire?

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Q:

I didn’t really notice it when I played mesmer but after playing elementalist a bit it leads me to ask: Why isn’t everything on fire? I try to save people from a burning orphanage in the pstory, but somehow my own flames don’t compound the problem, and my water doesn’t put it out.

So I’m looking for some lore explanation rather than thus sayeth Anet. Or even a wild theory with no basis in lore.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

magic.

alternatively, “because eles would be OP as kitten otherwise”.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

No theories. No explanation Same reason it took them around seven months to understand chilling an ice elemental/burning a fire elemental didn’t exactly make too much sense.
Elements have no leverage or impact on the world if they are tied to your class.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

No theories. No explanation Same reason it took them around seven months to understand chilling an ice elemental/burning a fire elemental didn’t exactly make too much sense.
Elements have no leverage or impact on the world if they are tied to your class.

well, mobs tend to have immunities. fire elementals and destroyers are immune to burning, for example.

but i can still make an earth elemental bleed >.>

in Lore

Posted by: DraconicDak.9340

DraconicDak.9340

Don’t forget that elementals of all sorts can be, somehow, poisoned!

Member of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Writer for Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

I personally explain this for myself as being the difference between magic and actual fire. See the original schools of magic are described as: Preservation, Destruction, Aggression, and Denial. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Magic

Fire magic is thus a visual representation of the Destruction/Aggression side of magic. Or in other words, there is no actual fire magic, it’s in a sense destruction magic shaped in an illusion of fire.

That /\ – and this is not Minecraft, implementing a system like that, while interesting in a world where rebuilding is fairly easy. Would be devastating for the game world, how many people do you think would be inclined to burn down LA just for the sake of it…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Lore

Anmida.4058

well, mobs tend to have immunities. fire elementals and destroyers are immune to burning, for example.

That was actually added at a later update from release, which was what I was refering to!
But as you mentioned. Bleeding elementals.

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

I personally explain this for myself as being the difference between magic and actual fire. See the original schools of magic are described as: Preservation, Destruction, Aggression, and Denial. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Magic

Fire magic is thus a visual representation of the Destruction/Aggression side of magic. Or in other words, there is no actual fire magic, it’s in a sense destruction magic shaped in an illusion of fire.

That /\ – and this is not Minecraft, implementing a system like that, while interesting in a world where rebuilding is fairly easy. Would be devastating for the game world, how many people do you think would be inclined to burn down LA just for the sake of it…

But I don’t think it is illusory. Because that is the basis for Denial. I think Destruction is imitating natural forces using magic as the destructive catalyst. i.e flames that consume magic as fuel would not affect wood, but they would burn npcs and players who are chock full of magic. You are forcing the matter in an area to transmute but that transmutation isn’t permanent.

Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

I know at least one destroyer (Destroyer of Worlds) that isn’t immune to burning. Which kinda sucks…

There’s also the Destroyer Matriarch in Asuran PS Gadd’s Last Gizmo

(edited by Icdan Sevaen.4628)

in Lore

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

If you’re interested in cool elemental interactions (summoning rain puts out fires, oil placed next to candles will catch on fire, lightning on a puddle will stun everyone in the puddle, etc.) then check out Divinity Original Sin. Some of the most fun I’ve had in quite awhile.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It’s magic, simply put as that.

Also the fact some things burn easier then others. For example, I remember a historical site/town who at one point, actually launched FLAMING arrows at the rebuilt (period accurate) houses. Couldn’t set the building on fire from that.

Simply put from a lore perspective, it’s likely the flames are part of the magic. It’s not a normal flame burning, it’s a magical one. Once the magic runs out/expires, the flames stop. Hence why most of the time we see events or such dealing with fire, it’s from manual, “I threw a torch at the house” thing, not a fireball.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

It’s magic, simply put as that.

Also the fact some things burn easier then others. For example, I remember a historical site/town who at one point, actually launched FLAMING arrows at the rebuilt (period accurate) houses. Couldn’t set the building on fire from that.

Simply put from a lore perspective, it’s likely the flames are part of the magic. It’s not a normal flame burning, it’s a magical one. Once the magic runs out/expires, the flames stop. Hence why most of the time we see events or such dealing with fire, it’s from manual, “I threw a torch at the house” thing, not a fireball.

but what about…

:P

in Lore

Anmida.4058

Magical ranger torches of wonder! The spirits deem it to be so!

in Lore

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Think of it on this lines your not making fire your using magic to put energy into your target that seems like burning. Much like how ice is more of the removal of energy from your target.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

A little off topic but suddenly with the current bug in Iron Marches, title is relevant.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

A little off topic but suddenly with the current bug in Iron Marches, title is relevant.

Maybe relevant . . .

“When in doubt, set something on fire.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I didn’t really notice it when I played mesmer but after playing elementalist a bit it leads me to ask: Why isn’t everything on fire? I try to save people from a burning orphanage in the pstory, but somehow my own flames don’t compound the problem, and my water doesn’t put it out.

So I’m looking for some lore explanation rather than thus sayeth Anet. Or even a wild theory with no basis in lore.

Why would you want a lore explanation? Sometimes it’s best that some things do not mimic real life for the sake of gameplay.

Would you like a lore expanation on why Queensdale and other Kryta areas have green grass? Surely you would think all the thousands of elementalists would have burnt the grass by now?

in Lore

Daniel Handler.4816

Why would you want a lore explanation? Sometimes it’s best that some things do not mimic real life for the sake of gameplay.

Would you like a lore expanation on why Queensdale and other Kryta areas have green grass? Surely you would think all the thousands of elementalists would have burnt the grass by now?

I’m confused as to how you think I want the game to mimic real life? From what I am aware there is no real life version of magic I could compare the game too. Instead I want magic to be further defined for the process of lore/roleplaying. Its possible that these decisions were made for gameplay. But as someone mentioned earlier, all structures that have burned in the game have been ignited by non-magical fire, and I want to know why.

in Lore

Posted by: Rathayibacter.6149

Rathayibacter.6149

There’s no Friendly Fire because you have friendly fire.
…Wait.
I figure that there’s a lot the ele’s doing behind the scenes that we as players aren’t directly in control of or even aware of. The ele (not the player) is carefully controlling their abilities so that, for instance, walking through your own magma aoe doesn’t burn you or your allies. It’s not such a stretch to assume that an ele casting spells in a wooden building could “pull” the waves of heat away from the walls and back into the fire itself, just like how using air spells in a Priory library won’t tear books off the shelves and send them flying everywhere. Note that this has absolutely zero lore basis as far as I know but eh, it works.