Why wasn't Almorra Soulkeeper turned?

in Lore

Posted by: LeDuc.1436

LeDuc.1436

i’m rather curious if anyone might know a reason as to why Almorra Soulkeeper (leader and founder of the Vigil) had not been changed by Kralkatorrik when he flew over her when he awoke. I mean this sorta feels like something important. is she immune to the dragons influence in a manner similar to the Sylvari? did she just get lucky somehow?

Well whatever the reason it bothers me wondering why she was not effected.

in Lore

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Kralky missed by a sliver. That’s the reason I’ve come to know.

in Lore

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Well, like most charr she likes apples, see, she likes them a lot, and she likes having apples even when they are not in season. When Kralkatorrik flew over she was down in her secret root cellar happily storing some nice red delicious apples for the coming winter.

During the subsequent debriefing, she realized if she told the truth, Rytlock Brimstone would learn of her cache of winter apples, and would very likely confiscate them to >ahem< help feed the troops. So she made up the whole story about seeing the dragon fly over and how she was somehow miraculously immune to that whole Branding thing. She knew Rytlock was suspicious, though, probably because he kept asking, ‘Do you smell… apples?’ so she promptly left the Blood Legion and formed the Vigil, the true (and secret) purpose of which is to preserve her apples from dragons and anything else that might try to eat them. Forever!

And she got away with it! And she kept all those sweet, nummy apples, all for herself! And she’d be getting away with it even now if not for those meddling forum guys.

TL;DR – beats me. Diet? Clean living? Special glasses? Maybe she’s a mutant…

The table is a fable.

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

you won the internet….

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Basically what Kryel said. She was just outside of the effects of the Dragonbranding.

What’s more plot interesting is how Aesgir knocked out Jormag’s tooth without becoming corrupted.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

She got lucky. And she needed a strong motivation to form the Vigil (and overcome racial prejudices), so the main reason is authenticity.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

What’s more plot interesting is how Aesgir knocked out Jormag’s tooth without becoming corrupted.

He had the help of Spirits of the Wild. They protected him from corruption for a while, and also helped him to cut it off.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Right, yet a spirit was killed by Jormag in a separate situation. And Aesgir is hinted at having had a jotun scroll with him at the time.

The point is Almorra simply got lucky. She didn’t face a dragon. Aesgir did. And survived after harming the dragon. And I somehow doubt the Spirits were the only reason, otherwise they’d be a central point in confronting the Elder Dragons.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

You know though, I’ve heard and believed the whole theory that she was just on the edge of the brand and survived, but I have returned to that place since then, and even though she would have been underneath a huge overhang, the entire zone beneath the overhang is branded. IDK, we could speculate that a growing brand consumed the location she had been, but I have enough doubts to wonder if there wasn’t something more going on there.

She actually has a forgotten amulet whose magic protected her from the effects of the branding. She doesn’t know where the amulet actually came from, just that she found it and liked it and decided to keep it.

in Lore

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

@Konig
What if the Spirits of the Wild did help Aesgir from being corrupted, but not to help him kill Jormag only to get the tooth? Once they had the tooth it could be used to test weapons that could eventually harm and kill Jormag. This way, even if the spirits could keep someone or some people from being corrupted, they wouldn’t need to. Also the spirits may have helped Aesgir so future generations or norn would be inspired to kill the dragons?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Narcemus: The skill point doesn’t mark where Almorra was when Kralkatorrik passed by, but where she killed her warband. If you take note, the skill point isn’t even 5 feet from the non-branded areas.

@historic: You’re misunderstanding me entirely. The point isn’t that he broke a tooth rather than killed Jormag. The point is that he remained uncorrupted. Doesn’t matter how, the fact he wasn’t corrupted into an icebrood should be far more of a plot point than Almorra escaping corruption by a hair’s width – this being in response to the OP saying that Almorra’s survival sounds like a major plot point.

And my comment about the Spirits of the Wild was meant to show that even they cannot withstand Jormag’s might, given how Owl died and three others have been lost since confronting the dragon. How can they aid Aesgir when they couldn’t save themselves? And if they did, why is their ability to prevent corruption not a plot point (see above)?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

we dont know what happened to the spirits of the wild after compared to sacrifice they had to make so he did not get corrupted or how it worked.

it could very well be that the spirits only is able to help 1 person at a time being uncorrupt and that only works for a given time then they cant do it anymore for a long time and have little power to do anything else, if thats true i would like to see the person you want to send agienst a dragon all alone and win

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

How were they able to take that giant tooth with them, with Jormag still alive and kicking? I mean, look at that thing. It’s huge!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You guys keep saying it was the Spirits of the Wild that prevented Aesgir from bring corrupted. However…

Where is this said? Hmm?

As far as I know, it isn’t. It’s instead hinted by Talon Bladedancer (note – the wiki only has the non-Priory member dialogue) that it was a jotun scroll that aided Aesgir.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Right, yet a spirit was killed by Jormag in a separate situation. And Aesgir is hinted at having had a jotun scroll with him at the time.

The point is Almorra simply got lucky. She didn’t face a dragon. Aesgir did. And survived after harming the dragon. And I somehow doubt the Spirits were the only reason, otherwise they’d be a central point in confronting the Elder Dragons.

Wasn’t it hinted that Jormag corruption might need to be willing in some fashion?

Also: Having had a spirit slain by Jormag doesn’t rule out the effectiveness of another spirit. We’d have to assume that they’re all created equal and that there were no other mitigating factors.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

@Narcemus: The skill point doesn’t mark where Almorra was when Kralkatorrik passed by, but where she killed her warband. If you take note, the skill point isn’t even 5 feet from the non-branded areas.

Yet, it is mentioned how inmmediately the conversion took place and she turned to kill them. Also, in the Vigil cutscene we see her out in the open while the corruption takes place around her.

I’ve always been curious about this and I do think there might be something else to it.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The concept art cinematic shows the corruption happening in front of her. Though it’s a concept art cinematic so I doubt that it’s factual. After all, the one of the Foefire looks like a giant bomb was placed in a city that… is more similar to Divinity’s Reach then Ascalon City (different shape and all – being circular).

As for her placement – I think it was said she was returning form the western frontier, so her turning around would mean she was in the lead and those behind her got corrupted (which is, iirc, how she recounts her story).

Her being out in the open would actually match with what I said earlier, btw. The closest non-branded area is above a short edge hanging not far from the niche that the skill point is (bird’s eye, less than five feet worth).

So it could easily be that she was in the lead, they were going around a little bend of that crevice (or climbing it – straighter path), and Kralkatorrik comes. She just missed being branded while her warband, whom were behind her, were. She drops down to kill her warband.

I’d have to re-read the book, but I doubt that the skill point was put into the game before the book’s writing. Probably put in afterwards, when the map was established already.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: LeDuc.1436

LeDuc.1436

oh; does she talk about this in the book? i may have to read that now.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

The concept art cinematic shows the corruption happening in front of her. Though it’s a concept art cinematic so I doubt that it’s factual. After all, the one of the Foefire looks like a giant bomb was placed in a city that… is more similar to Divinity’s Reach then Ascalon City (different shape and all – being circular).

As for her placement – I think it was said she was returning form the western frontier, so her turning around would mean she was in the lead and those behind her got corrupted (which is, iirc, how she recounts her story).

Her being out in the open would actually match with what I said earlier, btw. The closest non-branded area is above a short edge hanging not far from the niche that the skill point is (bird’s eye, less than five feet worth).

So it could easily be that she was in the lead, they were going around a little bend of that crevice (or climbing it – straighter path), and Kralkatorrik comes. She just missed being branded while her warband, whom were behind her, were. She drops down to kill her warband.

I’d have to re-read the book, but I doubt that the skill point was put into the game before the book’s writing. Probably put in afterwards, when the map was established already.

Pages 97-98-99.

“The others turned to see what could terrify such a charr as Soulslasher, but I reached out and grabbed my friend by the shoulders to shake the fear from him. As I did, I saw the changes start to take him.”

Next pragraph is a description of the transformation. The one after that:

“And then he turned into living glass, crystallizing in an instant before my eyes into his twisted form, and at my back I could feel a presssure, like a great hand was pressing down on the entire world as the dragon passed overhead.”

In another paragraph:

“I don’t know what spared me from sharing his fate. Every other member of our warband succumbed to it. I was standing no more than a foot from Harthog, and he and the others were warped beyond recognition, yet I was spared.”

Final sentence in the next paragraph:

“The pasture [had to edit this word because of filter] shattered under my feet as I walked on it grinding it into sand.”

She was clearly inside The Dragonbrand when the corruption took place, at least from what is shown in the book, and her surprise by not being corrupted, despite being in the exact same conditions as the rest of the warband, leads to believe there was nothing that could’ve explained it logically; like standing right outside of it.

in Lore

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

See? Apples.

The table is a fable.

in Lore

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

it’s a mystery we may never solve. or can we…?

we know that sylvari are immune to dragon corruption. perhaps she had some food or a trinket or something of sylvari nature.

or perhaps she found something of the foefire that could resist dragon branding. who knows…

in Lore

Posted by: Loki.9147

Loki.9147

She slew a Sylvari and made an amulet out of it’s wood. This clearly acted as a shield. Clearly. But seriously, that’d be pretty dark, yeah? Slaughter the sylvari, wear their flesh and be saved from their draconic powers?

in Lore

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

She slew a Sylvari and made an amulet out of it’s wood. This clearly acted as a shield. Clearly. But seriously, that’d be pretty dark, yeah? Slaughter the sylvari, wear their flesh and be saved from their draconic powers?

if the charr found out about this then pretty much all the sylvari visiting ascalon will start to ‘disappear’, on top of charr always carrying a sharp wood-chopping axe…

in Lore

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

Pages 97-98-99.

“The others turned to see what could terrify such a charr as Soulslasher, but I reached out and grabbed my friend by the shoulders to shake the fear from him. As I did, I saw the changes start to take him.”

Next pragraph is a description of the transformation. The one after that:

“And then he turned into living glass, crystallizing in an instant before my eyes into his twisted form, and at my back I could feel a presssure, like a great hand was pressing down on the entire world as the dragon passed overhead.”

In another paragraph:

“I don’t know what spared me from sharing his fate. Every other member of our warband succumbed to it. I was standing no more than a foot from Harthog, and he and the others were warped beyond recognition, yet I was spared.”

Final sentence in the next paragraph:

“The pasture [had to edit this word because of filter] shattered under my feet as I walked on it grinding it into sand.”

She was clearly inside The Dragonbrand when the corruption took place, at least from what is shown in the book, and her surprise by not being corrupted, despite being in the exact same conditions as the rest of the warband, leads to believe there was nothing that could’ve explained it logically; like standing right outside of it.

May I add that in the Vigil welcome cinematic she clearly states “I stood beneath the dragon as it passed overhead. I survived where others did not.”
Clearly, if she was spared because the brand missed her by a few inches (which would be unlikely, the branding seemed like a very destructive process, not just drawing a precise line where everything on one side gets corrupted), she would have stated she was lucky enough to be outside of the area of effect.
Unless she’s making things up to make her more interesting and worthy of leadership… but she doesn’t seem like the type to do this.

Why the Priory isn’t constantly sending request to conduct research on her is curious though.
Or the Priory knows of Destiny’s Edge anti-magic/corruption tatoos, but they don’t seem to use them in Orr.

(edited by Tauril.8504)

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Basically what Kryel said. She was just outside of the effects of the Dragonbranding.

There use to be more then 4 spirts of the wild there where like over 1k of them fighting with him

Also he had a super magic scroll which essentially made him 100x stronger then the human gods. Apparently the priory are hunting for it. Anyway some of the pregw2 battles would make great fotm I hope they come out sooner rather then latter. Also improve fotm rewards like you did with wvw it is supost to be the end game dugion.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Fafnir, the claim of thousands is about the number of norn. There were only four spirits of the Wild who fought Jormag – Owl, who is known to have died, Eagle, Ox, and Wolverine.

There are indeed more than four Spirits of the Wild – there’s the four most prominent ones (Bear, Raven, Wolf, and Snow Leopard), as well as other minor ones (Wurm, Minotaur), then the “far flung” ones (Gorilla, Otter), and likely many we don’t know about.

We also have no clue what the scroll he had with him did, just that he had it when he came to Hoelbrak (we don’t even know for certain if he had it while he fought Jormag) – nothing indicates it was “super magic” nor claims that it made him “100x stronger than the human gods.” And if you note, I made exclusive mention of both aids he had earlier in the thread.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

How were they able to take that giant tooth with them, with Jormag still alive and kicking? I mean, look at that thing. It’s huge!

20 slot oiled bag?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

He used Ox like a pack mule to carry it back. The spirit collapsed of exhaustion shortly afterwards and has been sleeping in the Mists to regain his strength since then.

in Lore

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Dragon “Influence” is best documented in the older Lore about Svanir and Jora, the Dwarves, and even further back with the ‘juxtaposing’ Forgotten <—> Mursaat. Weak characters are corrupted almost instantly. With strong characters, it depends on their Will. Eventually they’ll corrupt but only after their will is completely broken.

There’s even evidence that certain legendary characters just plain die after defeat and couldn’t be corrupted even in death. …. Snaff and Tybalt for example. If we never see a “Thrall” enemy version of them in some future climax (like there was with Rurik) then it meant there’s some kind of “ascended” energy from the Rift itself that not even the dragons can consume and that mysterious Deep-Sea Orb wouldn’t function the way it does if that wasn’t the case.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Lore

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Fafnir, the claim of thousands is about the number of norn. There were only four spirits of the Wild who fought Jormag – Owl, who is known to have died, Eagle, Ox, and Wolverine.

There are indeed more than four Spirits of the Wild – there’s the four most prominent ones (Bear, Raven, Wolf, and Snow Leopard), as well as other minor ones (Wurm, Minotaur), then the “far flung” ones (Gorilla, Otter), and likely many we don’t know about.

We also have no clue what the scroll he had with him did, just that he had it when he came to Hoelbrak (we don’t even know for certain if he had it while he fought Jormag) – nothing indicates it was “super magic” nor claims that it made him “100x stronger than the human gods.” And if you note, I made exclusive mention of both aids he had earlier in the thread.

You forgot to mention Bunny

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /