Will Gods Return To GW2?

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Has Arena Net said anything about returning Gods back to the game? (Not the Abadon Dungeon)

Is it explained exactly why they disappeared from the face of the earth when the dragons awakened?

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

ArenaNet’s answer to both questions would be that the gods have stepped back so that humanity can grow on its own. As such, unless the race(s) actively seek the gods out, you can’t expect a return, and the Elder Dragons awakening at roughly the same time the Six Gods stopped making contact with Tyria fully is as far as all lore tells us, purely coincidental.

Doesn’t mean that’ll be the case in the long run, but that’s the situation as Anet has decided to go for now. The belief that humanity holds for why the gods left and perhaps if they’ll return.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Gods won’t set foot in our realm till all the Elder Dragons are dead. 1 reason is they hold a lot of magical power that the dragons want to consume. So they are Elder dragon magnets. Dragons from mythology are resistant to magic to logically any magic the gods use against the dragons will simply be consumed. Consequently, bones of dragons can be used to slay gods. Taken from literature and mythology.

There is a reason the great sword godslayer is made from jaw bone of a dragon.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Even if all the Elder Dragons die, I doubt the gods will return to Tyria. While the humans worship the gods, the gods seem to take a more parental role towards the humans. They protected them, helped them grow, thrive, and expand their kingdom when the race was still young, but now that they are grown; the gods left so they humans can grow on their own and find their own place in the world.

Also, real world literature and mythology =/= Guild War lore.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s presuming that the gods’ magic can even be devoured by the Elder Dragons. It may hold origins to the Forgotten’s magic, which couldn’t be corrupted by the Elder Dragons. Or to the golden orb of light in NE Malchor’s Leap (which personally reminds me of the Hall of Heroes’ “unearthly glow” in the center that replaces the need of a sun, and the Hall of Heroes being fully golden…).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Is it explained exactly why they disappeared from the face of the earth when the dragons awakened?

It isn’t, entirely, and that’s in part because they didn’t. They left a millennium before anyone was even aware the Elder Dragons were stirring. As far as I’m aware, and someone may correct me if I’m mistaken, there were no signs of their awakening until 1078 AE. There is hardly any coincidence between the gods’ full departure from Tyria to wherever in 0 AE, and that. If anything, what is curious is the sudden resurgence in any of the gods’ attention to Tyria in 1075 AE, and I don’t just mean because of the onset of Nightfall by Abaddon either, but the entire rattling of Abaddon’s prison foundations/bars by his trying to return.

What should really be asked here is not exactly, why’d they leave when the Elder Dragons began to awaken (which they didn’t), but why’d one of them try to come back when he did? Even if it was in a bit of a crazy way.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Technically, Leon, while the gods physically departed from the world, they kept in contact until sometime shortly after 1078 AE, exact year unknown. They didn’t have a “sudden resurgence” in attention.

Abaddon returning when he did likely had to deal with that being how long it took for him to regain strength and get minions into the world. While he got at least the demonic fortune teller and a (few?) titan(s?) out into the world to cause the Jade Wind and get charr to follow him by proxy, it took the charr 200 years to be ready to set off the Searing, which in turn meant 200 years to set off the Cataclysm and go for the Flameseeker Prophecies – which at the very least the Fury knew about, and had prepared an invading force of Titans ahead of time (according to one of the NPCs in the Foundry of Failed Creations – a Forgotten that doesn’t know why the Door of Komalie opened, or just as suddenly closed).

I believe that the events of the Searing is what got Abaddon to go about and set the stage for Nightfall in one invasion after another. The charr was the only force he couldn’t directly control, and the charr themselves needed time for the Flame Legion to take over the other three legions as well as enchant the Searing Cauldrons – and both likely took time. Once the Searing occurred, they knew the events of the Flameseeker Prophecies were unfolding; he got Khilbron to sink Orr (knowingly or no), and got Shiro Tagachi to accept the 200-year-long-offered position as an Envoy, as well as having the Darknesses invade the Hall of Heroes, and the Fury – when the titans failed – go after the celestial essences (I believe these two latter actions were to be a food/energy resource gathering, like the damming of the River of Souls, while the other three were a “take over the mortal realm/weaken the barriers” actions).

It’s also mentioned in the NF gw.dat that Abaddon was remaking his body throughout the campaign of Nightfall – when Varesh performed each ritual, one of the gates in the Realm of Torment unlocked (I believe it was Pain, Anguish, and Fear mentioned), which allowed Abaddon to rebuild part of his body.

So I don’t think there’s a big question/reason behind why Abaddon attacked when he did. He just attacked when it was ready.™

Dear ANet writers,

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

That’s presuming that the gods’ magic can even be devoured by the Elder Dragons. It may hold origins to the Forgotten’s magic, which couldn’t be corrupted by the Elder Dragons. Or to the golden orb of light in NE Malchor’s Leap (which personally reminds me of the Hall of Heroes’ “unearthly glow” in the center that replaces the need of a sun, and the Hall of Heroes being fully golden…).

Maybe the Elder Dragons can only consume and corrupt magic native to Tyria? Races and beings with strong Mists connections, the Forgotten’s magic and Mursaat’s Spectral Agony, seem to combat the Dragons well.

Though, we need to know how Tyria gets its magic in the first place, to even test that hypothesis.

(edited by Erukk.1408)

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Technically, Leon, while the gods physically departed from the world, they kept in contact until sometime shortly after 1078 AE, exact year unknown. They didn’t have a “sudden resurgence” in attention.

So I don’t think there’s a big question/reason behind why Abaddon attacked when he did. He just attacked when it was ready.™

As far as I’m concerned, their physical departure denotes their withdrawal of attention as well. I don’t feel like pulling up a scattering of quotes, but I’m fairly certain there are many instances to be found of people wondering whether the gods still even give a care about them. There’s also the clear cut example of the White Mantle to give evidence to the faltering faith of the people, which it has essentially turned into, a faith, since the gods’ interactions with Tyria have dropped so dramatically that people can actually doubt them and switch to a different following (where for some, it wasn’t a faith as their gods were there before them).

That aside, I think at the very least the question of why Abaddon attacked (and even prepared for his attack) when he did is more compelling than the OP’s question. But that’s coming from someone who’s been around this lore way too long by now.

The Adventurer’s Log!

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What about Underworld? Fissure Of Woe?
Aren’t the Mists somehow connected to the God realms?

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There are hints that these God realms have now fallen into chaos, now that the Gods have left, and the belief is waning. For example, in Queensdale you can see various monsters appearing from the Underworld, which no longer seems under Grenth’s control. But the God realms clearly still exist.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As far as I’m concerned, their physical departure denotes their withdrawal of attention as well. I don’t feel like pulling up a scattering of quotes, but I’m fairly certain there are many instances to be found of people wondering whether the gods still even give a care about them. There’s also the clear cut example of the White Mantle to give evidence to the faltering faith of the people, which it has essentially turned into, a faith, since the gods’ interactions with Tyria have dropped so dramatically that people can actually doubt them and switch to a different following (where for some, it wasn’t a faith as their gods were there before them).

Then explain the presence of the annual appearance of the avatars of Dwayna and Grenth, as well as the occasional favor of the world and avatars summoned at statues and by priests in temples (per GW2 Orrian lore – for Grenth at least)?

The gods physically left the world, but their avatars were constantly present. The faltering faith may have been more based on the fact that the mursaat were among them, the Five Gods weren’t and their avatars appeared at selected placements, which including not when humanity needed help to survive the charr assault.

What about Underworld? Fissure Of Woe?
Aren’t the Mists somehow connected to the God realms?

There are hints that these God realms have now fallen into chaos, now that the Gods have left, and the belief is waning. For example, in Queensdale you can see various monsters appearing from the Underworld, which no longer seems under Grenth’s control. But the God realms clearly still exist.

I wouldn’t necessarily say they’re in chaos. The Underworld creatures coming from the Underworld aren’t exactly unnatural appearances. Demons are naturally attracted to portals of the mortal realm, so it’s natural that natural inhabitants of the Underworld (Aatxes included) would seek existing portals out.

Even when Grenth did have control – even if strenuous – over the Underworld, the Aatxes were still hostile natural inhabitants.

This said though, while the realms of torment, war, and the dead are the realms of the gods (presumably as are the seldom mentioned Eternal Paradise and the once-mentioned “realm of travail” mentioned in the Sea of Sorrows novel off-handedly), it is known that the gods are not in these locations – they aren’t found anywhere in the Mists, in fact. This is an additional part of the whole “the gods are silent/have left” – no one knows where they are, and they cannot even contact the avatars (until GW2).

Dear ANet writers,

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Gmr Leon.1846

Then explain the presence of the annual appearance of the avatars of Dwayna and Grenth, as well as the occasional favor of the world and avatars summoned at statues and by priests in temples (per GW2 Orrian lore – for Grenth at least)?

The gods physically left the world, but their avatars were constantly present. The faltering faith may have been more based on the fact that the mursaat were among them, the Five Gods weren’t and their avatars appeared at selected placements, which including not when humanity needed help to survive the charr assault.

Just my personal perspective here, I don’t consider the attention of servants to be proper attention of their masters. If you have a chill master and he leaves, you’ll just keep doing whatever because why not until he comes back, including the old habits.

Case in point the Reapers trying to keep control of the Underworld. You could basically say that’s the servants trying to keep the hyperenergetic sadist relative from getting out of the basement asylum and messing up the house. Hard to say whether the master even knew his house came close to being ruined.

The Adventurer’s Log!

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I wouldn’t necessarily say they’re in chaos. The Underworld creatures coming from the Underworld aren’t exactly unnatural appearances. Demons are naturally attracted to portals of the mortal realm, so it’s natural that natural inhabitants of the Underworld (Aatxes included) would seek existing portals out.

Even when Grenth did have control – even if strenuous – over the Underworld, the Aatxes were still hostile natural inhabitants.

It does seem though that the Aatxe are no longer confined to the Underworld, and are invading the mortal realm through rifts. This seems to imply that Grenth has lost control over them entirely, and perhaps lost control of the Underworld itself.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It was never really stated that Grenth ever had control over them.

Dear ANet writers,

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That is a good point. But you can’t deny that the Underworld definitely feels less stable, with those rifts appearing all over Godslost Swamp and the surrounding area.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

They will return, just vote for Evon.

Otherwise, never.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yes, but the portals aren’t necessarily something under the control of Grenth either. I mean, Grenth opened the portals originally, but now what we have are tears in the fabric of reality itself which is allowing these things through. One would believe that if Grenth is in the Underworld that he could perhaps fix the tear, but this would depend on him being on either side of the tear, and we do not know where he is. I’m not gonna deny that the UW feels unstable for the very basic reason of the existence of the Shadow Behemoth. I mean the aataxes and shades by themselves aren’t much to worry about. They could be seen as random creatures slipping through tears that haven’t been mended, but the Shadow Behemoth’s presence seems to point to a much larger problem.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

Just my personal perspective here, I don’t consider the attention of servants to be proper attention of their masters. If you have a chill master and he leaves, you’ll just keep doing whatever because why not until he comes back, including the old habits.

Case in point the Reapers trying to keep control of the Underworld. You could basically say that’s the servants trying to keep the hyperenergetic sadist relative from getting out of the basement asylum and messing up the house. Hard to say whether the master even knew his house came close to being ruined.

At the same time, you have dialogue interaction between the avatars and the Sunspears:

Kormir: “Gods, we beseech you. Hear our prayers.”
<player name>: “We have come where living men should not be. We have fought armies, crossed wastelands and conquered demons.”
<player name>: “Now we are in the heart of Torment. We must destroy Abaddon before he destroys the world. But we cannot battle him alone.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “You are not alone. The gods are always watching.”
Kormir: “Watching? We need your help. We are only mortals, and we challenge a god.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “There was a time when the gods walked the earth. Every thought and achievement was a gift of the gods.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “But now you must realize that our gifts are within you. Dwayna lives in your compassion, Balthazar in your strength.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “Melandru dwells in your harmony, Grenth in your justice.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “And in your inspiration, Lyssa is there.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “The divinity is within you. And so, we give you our blessing. That should suffice for the task ahead.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “And to you, Kormir, a most special gift.”
Lyssa’s Muse: “This is your world, now. This is your decision. You must make the choice that only a mortal could make.”
Kormir: “Our decision? They leave us some words of encouragement and expect us to fight a god?”
<player name>: “The gods said we have a choice. A choice that only a mortal could make.”
Kormir: “Yes. Yes, there is a choice. We can end this. We don’t have to be driven by gods and their avatars. Let us go.”

From the above we can infer:
The Gods were still watching even after they left.
The gifts of the gods lie within humanity.
The avatars are not only representatives of the gods, but it is possible they are a part of the gods themselves. “And so we give you our blessing.” A representative cannot give blessings, only gods can. Therefore, the gods can work through their avatars. Also, since mortals cannot look upon a god’s true form without going blind, they must use these avatars to bypass this.
In conclusion, the gods still engaged with humanity, even after exodus. Also, their divinity is within, humans still have a connection to the gods.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

Also, the literal game mechanic “Favor of the Gods” had magic bringing their statues to life. A bolt of lighting would strike the broken pieces of Dwayna’s statue and bring them together, balthazar would be on flames, Grenth radiated frost, Lyssa was illuminated in golden light, Melandru had water freely flowing from the statue. This would happen during great feats of player (human) achievement that would get their attention

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

short answer: no
long answer: nooooooooooo

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

short answer: no
long answer: nooooooooooo

Real answer: vote for Evon.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

That is a good point. But you can’t deny that the Underworld definitely feels less stable, with those rifts appearing all over Godslost Swamp and the surrounding area.

To me, it doesn’t. That place was a nexus through which the god let heroes enter their realm in ages past. Now the very same nexus is out of control, after ages of neglecting. That’s all.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Fallen Conspirator.9172

Fallen Conspirator.9172

We might get to see them make an appearance if people STOP voting for ELLEN KIEL.

hint hint kittening hint

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Given the nature of the Mists and Fractals, we might see only Abaddon.

And even if all six are depicted, they aren’t the real gods. So it doesn’t count.

Dear ANet writers,

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

Given the nature of the Mists and Fractals, we might see only Abaddon.

And even if all six are depicted, they aren’t the real gods. So it doesn’t count.

Exactly, they wouldn’t be gods, it would be an echo of them still present on the mists.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

If it would depend on Konig, we would never see them.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m pretty sure Konig is just as interested in both Fractals. It’s just that the mystery of the reactor intrigues him more, which is totally understandable.

I personally don’t think he’ll get the lore he’s looking for, while the Abaddon fractal would be a much more defined event in Tyria’s history.

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

I’m pretty sure Konig is just as interested in both Fractals. It’s just that the mystery of the reactor intrigues him more, which is totally understandable.

I personally don’t think he’ll get the lore he’s looking for, while the Abaddon fractal would be a much more defined event in Tyria’s history.

That’s why I’m voting Gnashblade

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Correct on the first part Malafide. Both paths – not only in fractals, but the candidate’s influence on the living story whether win or lose – interests me equally. If anything, the fall of Abaddon and Evon winning holds more interest to me.

I doubt I’ll get the lore I’m hoping for with the reactor, however, I still hold to the notion that we’ll be getting more lore than with the Abaddon fractal – because we not only know most of the story about Abaddon’s fall, but the fractal won’t be true to Tyria’s history. Furthermore, a dev posted a hint at what to expect with the reactor fractal. To paraphrase: “I wonder what would happen if you introduce Chaos Magic to the Mists?”

Indeed, what would happen? That alone would be new lore – regardless of what we get about the reactor itself. And certainly far more new than the Abaddon fractal could provide – a mere re-interpretation of known events as they did not happen.

The key thing to remember about fractals is that we won’t see what actually happened. We may see something close, or we may merely see the location and time and people (plus or minus some) with utterly differing end results. If we get the Abaddon fractal, we may end up seein Abaddon win over the other five gods. We may not see the other five gods at all. Or we will see him fall. Or we will be the ones to make him fall. Or anything can happen, really. Hell, an Elder Dragon could rise up and consume Abaddon just before he’s defeated becoming an Uber Elder Dragon.

Dear ANet writers,

Will Gods Return To GW2?

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

No, near the very end Abaddon gets sucked up by chaos magic and pulled into the Thaumanova Reactor fractal which we will never see. MUAHAHAHA!