Will dhuum make an apperance?

in Lore

Posted by: ZidZabre.7256

ZidZabre.7256

In gw1 one of my past times was going into the underworld, never maid it too dhuum himself, but non the less i find dhuum to be an interesting boss.

Now, i wonder if Dhuum will make an apperance in GW2, or have the underworld open as an explorable or dungeon. (And i’m aware Mad Kings Domain is a part of the underworld)

I’ve seen the portals to the Underworld in areas linked to said place. So i think the connection is very much alive.

But if they bring back the underworld, how would it be? Would we actually fight Dhuum? Maybe meet an avatar of grenth?

I’m curious about thoughts and actual lore about this.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s already two threads on this (recent one that shows up when searching for Dhuum ).

My personal opinion on the matter is that Dhuum has been freed and is causing problems in the Mists with Menzies and is part of the reason why the gods are silent. There’s at least two places where natural inhabitants of the Underworld are spewing into Tyria, this itself doesn’t hint to Dhuum awakening but the implication that Grenth’s forces don’t have enough control to prevent this – which only happened in the past when Dhuum’s forces were taking over the Underworld.

I have a small theory that the lore behind the Mist Wars (WvW) may boil down to Menzies and/or Dhuum being involved, but that’s pure 100% speculation.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: ZidZabre.7256

ZidZabre.7256

thank you for the link.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I think most everyone would love to see some old enemies from GW1 re-appear in the game. Dhuum, Menzies, and Lazarus the Dire are just a few of the big name bosses that people speculate MIGHT re-appear. As Konig has stated, there is every chance that Dhuum and Menzies might re-appear. Players never killed these characters, and they are spiritual beings (one being a god, one being something similar to a god but not stated to specifically be a god). Lazarus is in a similar boat because we have no information on the lifespans of the Mursaat.

in Lore

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

There’s already two threads on this (recent one that shows up when searching for Dhuum ).

My personal opinion on the matter is that Dhuum has been freed and is causing problems in the Mists with Menzies and is part of the reason why the gods are silent. There’s at least two places where natural inhabitants of the Underworld are spewing into Tyria, this itself doesn’t hint to Dhuum awakening but the implication that Grenth’s forces don’t have enough control to prevent this – which only happened in the past when Dhuum’s forces were taking over the Underworld.

I have a small theory that the lore behind the Mist Wars (WvW) may boil down to Menzies and/or Dhuum being involved, but that’s pure 100% speculation.

Mhenzie had his head taken off by his brother bathazar when bathazar came out into the world of man. but i wouldn’t be surprised if his influence was still there in the Fissure of Woe

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That’s fully wrong, Kenage.

Firstly, Menzies.

Secondly, it was Balthazar’s father who’s head he carried (and we don’t know why, mind you). Menzies is his half-brother. Two different individuals.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

ok i just read up on more of the lore from wikipedia and yes i take that back i was rong about the head i thought it was his half brother.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Dhuum is likely the reason Mad King Thorn was absent for 250 years due to not wanting the dead souls to leave the Underworld.

The question now is: Why did Dhuum give Mad King Thorn permission to leave the Underworld permenantly(It would have been permenant if the Durmand Priory hadn’t reined him in limiting the Mad King to the terms of his ancient curse)?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Dhuum is likely the reason Mad King Thorn was absent for 250 years due to not wanting the dead souls to leave the Underworld.

The question now is: Why did Dhuum give Mad King Thorn permission to leave the Underworld permenantly(It would have been permenant if the Durmand Priory hadn’t reined him in limiting the Mad King to the terms of his ancient curse)?

I’m not sure about that. Dhuum is waging a war in the Underworld. I doubt he has much say, at all, on who can freely come and go from the Underworld, that is still Grenth’s decision. He, being Grenth, is the god of death and ruler of the Underworld after all.

Plus, Dhuum was the god of true death when he still had the mantle. He hated resurrections, the undead, and basically anyone who tried to get away from him (i.e. the players). I doubt he would tolerate Thorn, someone who died long ago, escaping from his Underworld to Tyria once a year. What’s dead stays dead.

in Lore

Kenage Achalarus.4276

As a spirit (referred to as a Spirit Lord), he lives in the Mad Realm within the Underworld and, because of a series of seals restricting him, he is able to return to Tyria for only one day each year: Halloween. The Lunatic Court are attempting to break the seals and bring Thorn back as an undead. The first seal was broken when Salma took the throne.
When Halloween approaches, Thorn’s influence seeps through into Kamadan and Lion’s Arch, transforming the citizens into assorted monsters. He is generally accompanied by Candy Corn servants.

and if im correct mad king had help from the lunatic court and also the barrier from the mad world to the living world is at the weakest on October 31. but i don’t think mad king and dhumm don’t have anything in comman

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

It seems more likely to me that the Mad King’s return had something to do with the ripples of the seal breakings, like Kenage said. My honest opinion is he may have been re-sealed by some adventurers, and this Halloween was the first time that he became free again. We sadly do not have any information on that front, but I highly doubt it has to do with Dhuum.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Dhuum doesn’t have that control anymore. Grenth does. Why Grenth allows it when he and the other gods supposedly toss souls in the Mad Realm to calm Thorn down is an oddity though.

But if Dhuum is related to why Thorn was absent, then it’d be that Thorn and Dhuum were battling in the Underworld, because Thorn views Dhuum as a full-out threat. And he is – because Thorn wants to return to Tyria, and Dhuum would not ever allow such.

As a spirit (referred to as a Spirit Lord), he lives in the Mad Realm within the Underworld and, because of a series of seals restricting him, he is able to return to Tyria for only one day each year: Halloween.

-snip-

and if im correct mad king had help from the lunatic court and also the barrier from the mad world to the living world is at the weakest on October 31. but i don’t think mad king and dhumm don’t have anything in comman

Corrections: The seals prevent him from returning to Tyria, except on Halloween where his magic is weakened to the point where he can only be a practical joker rather than the mass-murdering psychopath that he really is.

Also, October doesn’t exist in the lore. Halloween does, but what day it lands on in the 360 days of the Mouvelian calendar is unknown.

Anyways, the seals weakening is indeed why he can return – it’s stated by Wynn (the last of the scavenger hunt NPCs for his history) that the magic of the seals placed on his body is fading now.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

One of his titles is “The Autumn Lunatic”, which is suggestive of Halloween being roughly the same time of year as it is on Earth.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

True. My point was the date itself – October 31st – has no placement in the Tyrian calendar. The Mouvelian calendar lacks months, and keep in mind that their year would start in the Gregorian calendar’s March, so off the top of my head, it’d be placed probably around the ides of Scion (45th day of Fall – ish).

Dear ANet writers,