Will the Southsun Shore reveal a new dragon??

in Lore

Posted by: ChibiLlama.6439

ChibiLlama.6439

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but most heavily when the third book was announced. Will the water dragon be revealed during this chapter of the living story?

With Southsun was first released, there was the issue of the Karka. Crab-like creatures of unknown origin. Now, with the latest of the Living Story, the number of Reef Riders has increased dramatically. It doesn’t help with the actual location of Southsun, right in the Sea of Sorrows, where it is rumored that the water dragon dwells.
Could the increase in animal activity be a sign of the dragon? Will the uneasiness of the refugees bring attention TO the dragon?

I think, it is possible. What are your ideas?

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Well, while the flowers emitting the rage-inducing pollen were orchestrated by Canach, the tentacles seen in Bakestone cavern and the karka shell back piece are AFAIK unexplained so far and intriguing, possibly marks of corruption by Bubbles. You never know until you do.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Firstly, the deep sea dragon is said to dwell in the Unending Ocean, not the Sea of Sorrows. Two very different locations. The Sea of Sorrows’ only dragon minion activity was being full of risen – which is no longer the case as of his defeat which happened prior to The Lost Shores. The karka came from the Unending Ocean too, keep in mind – but they’re just an ancient deep sea waterlife. They’re only fleeing the deep sea dragon, much like the quaggan and, supposedly, the krait and largos did.

This said, the previous hostilities was, as said, caused by tampering with flora on the islands that Canach idiotically but unintentionally did (I wouldn’t say “orchestrated” as that implies some villainous intention – he was just surveying the island).

I haven’t gotten in-game due to being out of town, so I’d love to see pictures of these tentacles Tuomir mentioned, but something I found VERY interesting is the Sclerite weapons and backpiece.

Karka have nothing to do with tentacles as far as we know, yet the karka backpiece, prefixed Sclerite, has animated tentacles. The weapons to me look rather Cthulhu-mythos ish, and has black water dripping with rather odd oppearance, certainly not karka-like (or anything else I recall from Southsun) – to me at least. I wouldn’t doubt if they’re DSD themed.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

I’m not sure, Konig.

The flavour text on the item is: The Karka have mysterious biological properties.

We haven’t seen a Queen yet.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread. I hadn’t thought about them being corrupted Karka. I agree, though.

(edited by JayMack.8295)

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Another back item from the event, Fervid Censer, has a flavor text of “Canach used this device to spread his wildlife-aggravating toxins on Southsun Cove”, which I read is intentional, though not for the original karka incident, but for this current Secret of Southsun Cove living story phase.

As for the tentacles, here’s a screenshot of them for you.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@JayMack: I don’t think the karka have queens in the sense of ants or bees (despite appearances, they are intelligent and sapient, they just don’t communicate or have opposable thumbs). We have seen an Ancient Karka, which would probably be the closest to a queen they have, but they’re just a thicker shell version of standard adult karka.

I haven’t done this living story phase (obviously). Is it already known what’s causing the aggravation? Revenge of the Secondborn?

And those tentacles… they’re looking quite a lot like the Jade Maw’s tentacles to me. I wonder of this means we’re going to have a giant kraken event in Southsun now. That’d be awesome. They don’t match perfectly, but they certainly don’t look DSD-like to me, since those are twisted waters as far as we know. But its interesting its related to karka… I’m curious as to where this will lead.

Wish I could get in game. >.<

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Well, one of the achievement names is 'Crazed Karka Queen Killer'. There are quite a few spoilers in the achievements thus far…which is a shame.

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Arenanet already told us many many MANY many.. many times, that living story has nothing to do with the dragons.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

As JayMack mentioned, there are spoilers for as-yet unreleased story in the achievement descriptions. There is the one he mentioned confirming the future existence of a crazed karka queen, and another three ( Canach Trapper, Subdirector NULL Demolitionist, and Lair Light-Foot) that confirm that Canach is hiding out in a booby-trapped lair somewhere on the island and will be captured before the event ends, and that he has a golem that will be defeated. That Fervid Censer is probably the worst slip; you get it after collecting ten out of the eleven samples for Levvi. As sample collecting is the only current story path, save all the new events, that pretty much guarantees you’ll get it before Canach shows his face.
But outside of the achievements, and that one item, nothing indicates Canach is on the island, or is even still alive. It’s really just the aforementioned spoilers, which tell us A.) The wildlife is being riled up by plant toxins, B.) Canach is spreading said toxins, and C.) He will be captured in the end. Nothing explicit about his motive.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Anet really needs to work on their spoiling problem. I mean, we knew years before release that Zhaitan would be the primary antagonist… and now this. sigh

But its interesting nonetheless, and I’m curious how the personal nemesis falls into this – if she/he does.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

@JayMack: I don’t think the karka have queens in the sense of ants or bees (despite appearances, they are intelligent and sapient, they just don’t communicate or have opposable thumbs). We have seen an Ancient Karka, which would probably be the closest to a queen they have, but they’re just a thicker shell version of standard adult karka.

I haven’t done this living story phase (obviously). Is it already known what’s causing the aggravation? Revenge of the Secondborn?

And those tentacles… they’re looking quite a lot like the Jade Maw’s tentacles to me. I wonder of this means we’re going to have a giant kraken event in Southsun now. That’d be awesome. They don’t match perfectly, but they certainly don’t look DSD-like to me, since those are twisted waters as far as we know. But its interesting its related to karka… I’m curious as to where this will lead.

Wish I could get in game. >.<

the getting ingame thing would help a LOT, quite a few things have been revealed via the achievments and flavour text

may have been causing problems intentionally, one of the rewad items states that it’s the device canach used to poison the island

DOES exist and we’ll have to defeat her at some point (I wonder if she’ll be a hive style queen or a royalty style queen?)

apparently have unusual properties, the sclerite weapons and the tentacle backpiece are made of karka mats

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

One extra data that I haven’t seen being mentioned is that the same type of tentacles from the backpiece can be found around the hive. Wether this is recent or from november, I cannot tell. There seems to be no aesthetic connection between the Karka and the new weapons, so perhaps there’s still something else behind this all. Maybe the toxins used by Canach mutated the Karka queen. I do hope there’s more depth to this Living Story, so far we haven’t seen anything too interesting, in my opinion (from january until now).

(edited by Eluveitie.1290)

in Lore

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

One extra data that I haven’t seen being mentioned is that the same type of tentacles from the backpiece can be found around the hive. Wether this is recent or from november, I cannot tell. There seems to be no aesthetic connection between the Karka and the new weapons, so perhaps there’s still something else behind this all. Maybe the toxins used by Canach mutated the Karka queen. I do hope there’s more depth to this Living Story, so far we haven’t seen anything too interesting, in my opinion (from january until now).

The tentacles in the hive are new.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

in Lore

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

The tentacles could just be normal things produced by the karka. Karka are probably crustaceans, and some types barnacles (also crustaceans) look pretty tentacle-y (actually very close to the tentacles we see at southsun). Tyria has weird biology, so it’s not a big leap to assume that tentacles are either part of the karka, or a symbiotic creature.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Just a thought of mine, if I see Tentacles I think, not only about Japan, but also about Bubbles(somehow I have the feeling we heard something about the DSD minions having tentacles) The Karkas didn’t have tentacles before, but now all the animals got super angry and get tentacles.

this seems like DSD corruption; IDK about the plants, though. I thought Modremoth corruption first, but that seems far fetched. Maybe the plants get corrupted first: the corruption comes from underneath the island, the island is new

SO

couldn’t the stirrings of the DSD or one of his champions bring the island up with him still underneath corrupting everything on it

probaply not.

it could be, some consortium Asura works with the inquest, looking for more DSD corruption to put in zone blue, he finds creatures running away from the DSD, he finds a plant who has DSD corruption, he experiments with it, he makes Southsun in to a resort/refugee camp to see what the corruption does on higher races, hence the Grawl not allowed on southsun, they didn’t fit in the experiment. Folks get corrupted, start fighting with eachother, wildlife get’s corrupted aswell and grow tentacles,….

just some thoughts

Conclussion: it’s DSD corruption

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

Just a thought of mine, if I see Tentacles I think, not only about Japan, but also about Bubbles(somehow I have the feeling we heard something about the DSD minions having tentacles) The Karkas didn’t have tentacles before, but now all the animals got super angry and get tentacles.

this seems like DSD corruption; IDK about the plants, though. I thought Modremoth corruption first, but that seems far fetched. Maybe the plants get corrupted first: the corruption comes from underneath the island, the island is new

SO

couldn’t the stirrings of the DSD or one of his champions bring the island up with him still underneath corrupting everything on it

probaply not.

it could be, some consortium Asura works with the inquest, looking for more DSD corruption to put in zone blue, he finds creatures running away from the DSD, he finds a plant who has DSD corruption, he experiments with it, he makes Southsun in to a resort/refugee camp to see what the corruption does on higher races, hence the Grawl not allowed on southsun, they didn’t fit in the experiment. Folks get corrupted, start fighting with eachother, wildlife get’s corrupted aswell and grow tentacles,….

just some thoughts

Conclussion: it’s DSD corruption

Nowhere have I seen Karkas, Reeef Drakes, Skelks or anything in Southsun Cove “pull tentacles” nor grow them. They’re pretty much the same as they were before except for the increased hostility. The only sign of these new tentacles are in the hive, which is close enough to Canach’s hiding lair if you have the chance to go inside.

So probably the source are those contaminated plants and their toxins. We don’t know anything about them yet other than its from Canach’s doing somehow (since there’s a golem involved later, I’m guessing he’s collaborating with an asura). And the Grawl decided to step out because Consortium’s smiles didn’t meet their eyes, according to the chief, not because they weren’t “fit” for Southsun Cove.

I highly doubt there’s DSD involvement here (at least directly), besides the fact the Karka escaped from it. If the dragon was anywhere close, we probably could see signs of that (minions, increased currents movement, local wildlife; specially Karka, making a run for it).

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I am pretty sure there is one major reason that the grawl aren’t allowed in Southsun Cove and that is money.

A) The grawl are not a rich race. The consortium have no money to make by marketing Southsun as a grawl vacation spot.

B) It would hurt the marketing to the other races if grawl were allowed to go there. Most other races see grawl as primitive, dirty, and hostile which are 3 things you do not want at a vacation hot spot.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

the getting ingame thing would help a LOT, quite a few things have been revealed via the achievments and flavour text

may have been causing problems intentionally, one of the rewad items states that it’s the device canach used to poison the island

DOES exist and we’ll have to defeat her at some point (I wonder if she’ll be a hive style queen or a royalty style queen?)

apparently have unusual properties, the sclerite weapons and the tentacle backpiece are made of karka mats

Yes, as the posts right above yours, above my response to them, pointed out.

As stated, I can’t get in-game. I’m out of town and my laptop cannot run Guild Wars 2… or at least, I’d rather not risk my low-rig laptop blowing up for this content.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Yes, as the posts right above yours, above my response to them, pointed out.

As stated, I can’t get in-game. I’m out of town and my laptop cannot run Guild Wars 2… or at least, I’d rather not risk my low-rig laptop blowing up for this content.

yeah, sorry about that, those responses weren’t there when I started writing the post, I was replying directly to you, I just type slowly :P

in Lore

Posted by: RemovedQuasar.6108

RemovedQuasar.6108

I think the Deep Dragon forced the Karka to escape from the ocean, like he did with Krait and Quaggans.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Heh, wonder If we are about to see C’Thun copy from Ahn’Qiraj That one used many tenacles, and it seems like DSD could look similar I hope that next dragon or villian will have really cool apperance, decent fight with a lot of interesting tactics instead of mindless canoon shooting or avoiding occasional red circles. + for the voice of C/Thun

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144