Wizard Tower moving closer

in Lore

Posted by: HDF Red.3529

HDF Red.3529

While leveling my necromancer alt and in kessex hills. After getting the skill point there, I looked up and noticed the Wizard Tower had moved noticeable…closer to the town than it was at launch.

Am I imagining things?

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

It could be the trick of the eyes, but it did seem closer when I revisited the area recently.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: Eaglemut.6348

Eaglemut.6348

Here is a side by side comparison of the tower on first beta weekend (left) and today.
I think it did not move a single inch, unfortunately.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It may be due to slight angle change, but the placement of the tower’s edge is different between the two images, in regards to where the background (Wizard’s Tower) meets the foreground (the trees and chimney). Miniscule in that image though.

It likely is just angle position change though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

I don’t see any sign of it coming closer, alas.

It’s likely they have already forgotten this central piece of lore, too. Scarlet syndrome may have the additional effect of causing amnesia.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

its only a matter of time till karazan….I mean the wizard’s tower! opens up.

#ELEtism

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

its only a matter of time till karazan….I mean the wizard’s tower! opens up.

I guess they’ll open the portal to outland in blasted lands too, I mean, the portal to the realm of torment, near the tomb of the primeval kings.
The wizard tower resembles naxxramas more that it does karazan btw.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

(edited by Ludovicus.7980)

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I look forward to meeting Verata once again. And I hope the Master Wizard fights like a god.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

IT’S NOT VERATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KILLED HIM 250 YEARS AGO!!!!!! QUIT TRYING TO MAKE ARENANET BRING HIM BACK!!!!!!

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

IT’S NOT VERATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KILLED HIM 250 YEARS AGO!!!!!! QUIT TRYING TO MAKE ARENANET BRING HIM BACK!!!!!!

Do not say such blasphemy, the largos assasing might get you in your sle-

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Ha, I laugh at largos! Ha!

in Lore

Posted by: MatthewMedina

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

Next

It hasn’t been forgotten. But it hasn’t moved either. :-)

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Red on a thread!? Impossible! Now, we all have to make baseless assumptions on what your two sentence response could possibly mean.

Back on topic. I think it would make a good new dungeon. Let us hope that this mysterious Wizard sends out some “dinner invitations” soon, or something.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Konig’s theory is correct, and that the White Mantle are some how involved. Frankly, I can’t wait to finally see some of the mysteries regarding this tower answered.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

It’s Scarlets new hideout where you get to fight robot clowns wearing cheerleader outfits that come in packs of 5 champions every minute.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

in Lore

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

The Wizards tower is one of my fondest mysteries in Tyria

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

It’s Scarlets new hideout where you get to fight robot clowns wearing cheerleader outfits that come in packs of 5 champions every minute.

Don’t give them any ideas, kitten it!

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Please please please, let the Wizard’s Tower be the site for a freaking, crazy playhouse of a jumping puzzle

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Yeah the tower is mysterious and cool. You know what else is mysterious and cool? Ninjas! Holy dolyak! The wizard’s tower might be a ninja!

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

Your blood got spilled to make a red post. I told you, but you wouldn’t listen. You need to respect the largos assas-

in Lore

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Yes.

And for that very reason part of me hopes they never develop it. I want to know more about the tower, but I know that mystery can be so much more powerful than details.

Already some of the suggestions in this thread have made my heart sink. It’d be very sad if the potential of the wizard’s tower were thrown away on a base for Scarlet, for example. Is there anything in there that wouldn’t be a little bit of a let-down compared to our imaginations running wild with possibilities?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

applies super glue to Matthew in order to keep him tied to this forum

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

applies super glue to Matthew in order to keep him tied to this forum

Don’t you see that a blood sacrifice is needed to create a red post? Narcemus just died.

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

Noooooooo. Just nooooooooo.

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

Yes.

And for that very reason part of me hopes they never develop it. I want to know more about the tower, but I know that mystery can be so much more powerful than details.

Already some of the suggestions in this thread have made my heart sink. It’d be very sad if the potential of the wizard’s tower were thrown away on a base for Scarlet, for example. Is there anything in there that wouldn’t be a little bit of a let-down compared to our imaginations running wild with possibilities?

How about using my fan fiction story. Just make Thirteenth that wizard/witch. Done.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/The-tone-should-be-darker/page/2#post2814478

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Your blood got spilled to make a red post. I told you, but you wouldn’t listen. You need to respect the largos assas-

If this was true, I would be willing to sacrifice myself multiple times for additional red posts

in Lore

Posted by: MatthewMedina

Previous

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

Sorry, I know I’ve been somewhat absent from the forums for much of this year. That’s something I aim to remedy.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Sorry, I know I’ve been somewhat absent from the forums for much of this year. That’s something I aim to remedy.

I do not think they are pointed at you. Just the general lack of red posts in the lore forum overall

On a side note: KEEP STABBING ME LARGOS! IT IS WORKING!!!!! Lol.

in Lore

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Don’t we already fight a Wizard in World2 SAB?
I think one is enough for now.

Plus they also need more time to design a better ‘Reanimated Warrior’ fight. Right now all they’ve got is Bjarl and everyone just laughs at him. After 250 years of honing it, Galrath’s signature move should be a manly Kenpachi-Zaraki style Sword-Nuke that he just bounces between targets dispensing instantly after you fed him too much Adren by Zerker DPS’ing.

in Lore

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

Considering verata was a necromancer him returning in some undead form would not be all that surpriseing.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Oh so much blood! The red will be everywhere! /wink wink stab stab

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I do not think they are pointed at you. Just the general lack of red posts in the lore forum overall

I have to disagree, A few of the devs actually go out of their way to post on the forums. I think the issue is certain teams don’t follow their “section(s)” of the forums as some of the others do. (For example Lore)

in Lore

Posted by: Moersel.1320

Moersel.1320

Which is better anyway. If they start giving a kitten about what the community thinks and answering too much, they will get silenced by the powers that be.

in Lore

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Would love to see this in some LS arc. Possibly with title “Secret of the Wizard’s Tower” or something :P

If you haven’t check out this vid:

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

Would love to see this in some LS arc. Possibly with title “Secret of the Wizard’s Tower” or something :P

If you haven’t check out this vid:

Well it should be obvious now that The Order was wrong in banning forbidden magic. If they lifted those bans after The Searing, Ascalon could still be saved. Adelbern followed those rules till the very end, when he broke them in a spectacular fashion in the Foefire.

Verata was right for breaking away from The Order. Being the strongest magical race has always been human’s birth right. It was a mistake to set up any sort of limit.

As for the test subjects, “The few must be sacrificed for the survival of many.”

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Saying Verata was right in doing what he did is like saying the Inquest are the good guys.

in Lore

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

Maybe they are? o.O

sarcasm by the way if you didn’t get it

in Lore

Ludovicus.7980

Saying Verata was right in doing what he did is like saying the Inquest are the good guys.

Who knows… I don’t even know if Scarlet is that evil. I’ve not seen true evil yet in this universe. The closer one to true evil was Abaddon. But he is in abandon now.

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

Think about it. Ascalon could have survived. Thousands of lives would have been saved.

In the face of threats like Elder Dragons and other foes like Scarlet, isn’t it foolish to keep banning those so-called forbidden magic? Must the story of Ascalon repeat itself, on a much larger scale this time?

Obviously I am not saying the main character should agree to this. But it actually makes a lot of sense for some NPCs to feel this way.

“The few must be sacrificed for the survival of many.”

That’s the type of anti-villain I want to see.

Lore: I am pretty sure the souls of the missing villagers are indeed in those golems. But at the end of the day, those golems are stronger fighters than when they were human, yes?

Villain: Use those golems for his personal power.
Anti-Villain: One golem can save 10 humans. His sacrifice was worth it.

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Erukk.1408

I think you are giving The Order too much credit in that regard. The were a group, maybe a secretive guild(?), of spellcasters, seemingly mostly necromancers, that studied magic and policed the actions of their members. Even if they did allow its members to study the forbidden magics, and kill portions of the remaining meager population of Ascalon to perform/hone the spells, I very much doubt that would have saved them from the full might of the Charr forces. Not to mention, people don’t really buy the “for the greater good” argument when their friends and family can taken away to be killed and studied for horrific magical experimentation.

On a side note, when did Adelbern have anything to do with the Order? Even more so, that he followed their rules when it came to magic? Adelbern was very much a warrior in GW1. The only magic trick he seemed to know, was strengthening Magdaer with a conjure flame spell.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We actually don’t know much of “the Order” – we know that some necromancers and an elementalist refer to it, and that they forbid experimenting on magic on civilians, but that’s more or less it.

Due to how it’s referred to, I’ve always wondered if the Order is… the Order of Whispers. Who act rather similarly – though more geared towards politics than magic that we see out of this Ascalonian “Order.”

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

I think you are giving The Order too much credit in that regard. The were a group, maybe a secretive guild(?), of spellcasters, seemingly mostly necromancers, that studied magic and policed the actions of their members. Even if they did allow its members to study the forbidden magics, and kill portions of the remaining meager population of Ascalon to perform/hone the spells, I very much doubt that would have saved them from the full might of the Charr forces. Not to mention, people don’t really buy the “for the greater good” argument when their friends and family can taken away to be killed and studied for horrific magical experimentation.

On a side note, when did Adelbern have anything to do with the Order? Even more so, that he followed their rules when it came to magic? Adelbern was very much a warrior in GW1. The only magic trick he seemed to know, was strengthening Magdaer with a conjure flame spell.

It will make a huge difference. For example if Magdaer was sneaked into Charr homeland and Foefire was used there instead, Ascalon would be saved.

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Who is to say that the Order of Whispers wasn’t the Order in GW1. Their play in controlling politics didn’t seem to be at the forefront in the era of Guild Wars, they seemed to be more interested in the control of the demon population/keeping Palawa Joko under wraps.

in Lore

Erukk.1408

For one, we really have no idea how the Foefire spell actually worked. I doubt Adelbern did either, if he even knew that Magdaer could do that in the first place, since he was in no way an master spellcaster when he was alive. By the end of his life, he was a 79 year old half mad warrior king that struck his magic sword against the ground in a fit of rage.

Even if the Ascalonians did some how pull off the Foefire in the Charr homeland, it wouldn’t have done much. Unless of course, the Foefire could cover a landmass much larger than it did with Ascalon. The Charr empire was huge in gw1, and is even larger in gw2, since they gained Ascalon. If the Foefire wiped out the Blood Legion homelands, it wouldn’t have saved Ascalon. The Charr still have a large unknown portions of controlled land east of the Blazeridge Mountains.

It might postpone Ascalon’s destruction for a couple of years, at most a decade, but the Charr would have still destroyed Ascalon in the end.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It will make a huge difference. For example if Magdaer was sneaked into Charr homeland and Foefire was used there instead, Ascalon would be saved.

Because the Foefire affected the Charr in Ascalon.

Because an army wrathful eternal charr ghosts would save Ascalon.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

CHIPS.6018

For one, we really have no idea how the Foefire spell actually worked. I doubt Adelbern did either, if he even knew that Magdaer could do that in the first place, since he was in no way an master spellcaster when he was alive. By the end of his life, he was a 79 year old half mad warrior king that struck his magic sword against the ground in a fit of rage.

Even if the Ascalonians did some how pull off the Foefire in the Charr homeland, it wouldn’t have done much. Unless of course, the Foefire could cover a landmass much larger than it did with Ascalon. The Charr empire was huge in gw1, and is even larger in gw2, since they gained Ascalon. If the Foefire wiped out the Blood Legion homelands, it wouldn’t have saved Ascalon. The Charr still have a large unknown portions of controlled land east of the Blazeridge Mountains.

It might postpone Ascalon’s destruction for a couple of years, at most a decade, but the Charr would have still destroyed Ascalon in the end.

Foefire was only 1 single spell. That’s the power of just 1 forbidden magic spell. Imagine a full out research on all forbidden magic by all the mages in Ascalon.

Forbidden magic are much more powerful than the so-called legal magic. We have seen this time and time again. Searing >>>> Firestorm. Zhaitan’s undead >>>> Necro’s minions. etc. Obviously this kind of power have significant military value.

Ascalon with forbidden magic would be stronger than Ascalon without. This is a 100% fact. Whatever they would win at the end or not cannot be debated, because it never happened that way. All we can look for is the future. Let’s not let history repeat itself. Against overwhelming threats, we need forbidden magic. That’s all this humble necromancer is saying. ^^

in Lore

Erukk.1408

To start off, I think what you classify can “forbidden magic”, and what was considered forbidden magic or practices in gw1, are two totally separate things. Just because a spell is powerful, doesn’t automatically make it “forbidden” magic.

Forbidden magic/practices comes from either a consensus agreeing that a type of magic is too dangerous when used or practiced against the populace. Which was the cause of Verata. He was studying death magic to increase the resilience and longevity of minions. Which was considered a good thing, but he was abducting innocent people to experiment and hone his spells with. Which is considered a forbidden practice. That’s why he became and outlaw.

Another type of forbidden magic, is when the gods themselves say it’s bad. The Lost Scrolls are a good example of that.

The Foefire wouldn’t be considered “forbidden” magic, when to the best of our knowledge, that spell didn’t exist until Adelbern unleashed the magic of Magdaer by breaking it in a fit of rage. With the power source broken, and possibly used up(?), there’s really no reason to outlaw it, since there is a good chance it can’t be cast again. Plus, the Pact and a few Charr researchers have made good use of the ghostly fire itself, against Zhaitan’s fleet, since it isn’t effected by water.

The same can be said about the Searing, which wasn’t even a spell, much less a “forbidden” one. It was a ritual. Also, the Charr wouldn’t care what the humans might or might not consider “forbidden” magic. Even more so, when they are using it against them.

And finally. Zhaitan’s Risen =/= necromancer minions. It’s like comparing apples and oranges. They might both be fruit, or undead minions in this case, but they are totally separate magic wise.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, I’d have to agree with Erukk. There’s nothing pointing to forbidden magic existing outside of magical artifacts. When it comes to people it seems more of a situation of forbidden acts. Verata’s spells were stronger than any other, but he got them by killing innocent people. The PC can also get access to these skills without killing innocent people. This humble necromancer was glad to kill Verata and be rid of the heretic. Necromancy is about balance between life and death, not about gaining power.