Wizards Folly, and the massive tower therein.

in Lore

Posted by: Dornath.7802

Dornath.7802

Hey folks.

Those of you who played Prophecies will remember going through Wizard’s Folly and seeing the gigantic Wizard’s Tower. This is where Elementalists (And those looking to try to profession out) learned some of their most frequently used spells.

Given that we weren’t able to access this after after the Searing, what do we think happened there? Is the tower still standing? Is it tied to the wizard Galrath of Wizard’s Peak?

Please, discuss.

in Lore

Posted by: Magoslich.6857

Magoslich.6857

No clue, but the floating castle in Kryta thats similar infuriates me with its inaccessibility. It did so in GW1 and it does so now.

in Lore

Dornath.7802

That is the Wizards Castle.

I read somewhere that it can be moved by it’s controller…

in Lore

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Galrath wasn´t a wizard, nor was he owner of that tower.
Verata wasn´t either as far as i remembered, somebody go check the wiki for me

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Lore

Posted by: Gulbrandr.9047

Gulbrandr.9047

Verata did not own it. You actually chased him to that point in the quests.

in Lore

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I don’t know if the tower is still standing, but it’s frustrating that we can be so close to where it would be in GW2. We can visit the ruins of Ashford Abbey in Plains of Ashford, but we can’t go far enough to the south to where Wizard’s Folly would be.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I have honestly always loved that tower and wished to know who created, it definitely wasn’t anything Ascalonian by normal standards.

in Lore

Dornath.7802

Galrath wasn´t a wizard, nor was he owner of that tower.
Verata wasn´t either as far as i remembered, somebody go check the wiki for me

But wasn’t Galrath close to opening the castle and using it’s power? I thought that was why we had to stop him.

In either case, I would love for someone to give out the info that they have on the tower in Wizard’s Folly. It was such an awesome place, neither Krytan/Orrian/Ascalonian in design.

in Lore

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t know if it’s just the colour but something about it always reminded me of the architecture in the Dwarven cities.

Which made me wonder if the tower itself could be Dwarf-made, maybe a joint effort with humans or other races.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

The material definitely looked similar to the roofs on the dwarven houses, but much of their architecture when it came to walls and towers used wood instead of stone or metal (whatever it may be) This makes me wonder if it wasn’t some remnant of one of the ancient races, though it doesn’t appear like jotun style, from what little we’ve seen, nor does it appear to be created by the forgotten, assuming the structures in the crystal desert were created by the forgotten.

(edited by Narcemus.1348)

in Lore

Posted by: Zesbeer.8365

Zesbeer.8365

There were two wizards towers in Prophecies the one that you can only visit in pre-searing and the one that you find Galrath, and Verata at in Kessex Peak. (which are both different fyi at least going off of what they look like.)

Redfeather is correct in that the Wizard’s Folly tower is really close but to far south on the map to visit. and from what i know there is little to no lore as to what happened to that tower after the searing because in post you can’t get to that area either.

about the tower in Kessex’s its true that it has a new owner and that it has moved (it was right next to were fishermans haven was in gw1, its new owner is Isgarren and not much is known about him other then he is a wizard. and that he protects the town of Garenhoff with elements .

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Not to mention the wizard’s tower in Garrenhoff has been greatly ‘renovated’ from it’s evil medieval look

in Lore

Posted by: AzureShiron.7658

AzureShiron.7658

The tower in garrenhoff is actually the tower from gw1 i read some place that the owner moved it before the flood of lions arch

If you think this post is about you, it probably is

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Those towers are an intentional lore black hole. I remember an interview wherin it was plainly explained that Ree and Jeff deliberately don’t explain certain things in lore so as not to have to “retcon” them later.

A good example is the Charr. The origin and society of the Charr, from the viewpoint of Ascalon, was never even touched the first time they were seen in Prophecies. This was done intentionally, as that information wasn’t important to the story of the players in that game, and thus attempting to explain it at the time would both remove the element of fear and ferocity from the race.

A similar black hole was Orr. Originally, there was very little known about Orr other than that it was once the home of the gods, and that it sank.

Fast forward to GW2. Now you have a blank slate of a lot of stuff players will recognize, but you have never given them any information on. This mean you, as writers, have a blank slate with very few boundaries, which allows you to write content without being confined to some half-considered one or two sentances in a piece of quest dialogue from seven years ago.

So now, Charr aren’t really “all bad” (just the BAD Charr are bad) Charr were indirectly responsible for Orr, Charr have females and babies. This is a HUGE departure from the Charr race that we knew before, but it doesn’t actually contradict any information the playrs ever had access to, so it can be inserted in to canon without creating any plot holes (for better or worse)

Similarly, we established early on that the vizier was bad, was from Orr, and wanted to take over the world. Then, around nightfall area the lore team invented Abaddon for that storyline. Abaddon then became a catch-all evil diety, so lore decided the Vizier should be a worshipper of his.

So, fast forward to GW2, now you have a portrait of Abaddon in the Vizier’s tower in ruined Orr. Was the Vizier a worshipper of Abaddon when we first met him? Well according to lore he was. Was he a worshipper of Abaddon when that story was written? No. By simply leaving that space blank it allowed lore to knit him in to the larger picture of the lore later.

Those towers are similar lore black holes. We have never been given any information about them. It’s quite likely that a level designer thought they would look cool, then lore looked at them and said “I could see this being there for some reason we’ll invent later” Other Black holes include the Mursaat, Seers, a large number of sentient or semisentient humanoid races from expansion campaigns, the envoys, and oh yeah, THE EYE OF THE NORTH.

It has been said that Seer ruins exist in the world, and that we’ve probably seen them without knowing the significance of what we were looking at. Its also obvious that there are plans for the wizard’s tower that now hovers over Kessex because… well… they moved it to Kessex in stead of deciding it was destroyed. This indicates there are plans to actually use it eventually, and we probably won’t ever know anything about those towers until we mark their floors with our adventuring boots. Lore could just as easily fill the black hole with Tengu, or some super-lawful skritt race, or decide the jotun built them when they had language in their golden days, or invent a whole new race of bright pink seven armed monkeys with prehensile genitalia and say THOSE built the towers (and are also wizards of immeasurable power)

The point is they’re not going to commit to lore explanations until they’re already on the way to being implemented in the game (Or in a book, because WE ARE CRAFTING A SERIOUS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY)

So, yeah, theorize away. My personal theory on all unexplained phenomina is “Seers did it” until I’m presented with an official explanation. I haven’t been proven wrong yet shrug

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

@PopeUrban *hits “like” button

:)

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I wanna point out, the wizard’s tower was already in Kessex, just a different part of Kessex, otherwise like as well.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I wanna point out, the wizard’s tower was already in Kessex, just a different part of Kessex, otherwise like as well.

Sorry, Yeah its old location was technically in kessex. I should have said “moved to its current location in kessex.”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I do hope, though, that someday we can visit the deldrimor front and see what’s left of Thunderhead Keep, and more specifically, the tower in Wizard’s Folley that has been kept from us ever since Pre-Searing.

in Lore

Posted by: Verteiron.8734

Verteiron.8734

My guess is that the Wizard’s Tower was a leftover from the previous races, which means it could have been Jotun, Mursaat, Seer or Dwarf make. My personal guess would be the Jotun; we know they lived high in the mountains and built “grand enchanted monuments” there. Just a relic of a bygone era, like the Eye of the North itself.

The floating castle in Kryta, I think, is a different matter. We know that some rocks near the Tarnished Coast just… float. In GW:EN we encounter plenty of them, just drifting in the air with no technological or magical apparatus to support them; the floating just seems like an inherent property. An enterprising soul might attach a big chain to one of those, haul it to a more hospitable place and build a castle on it. After that, regardless of your actual magical power, you can bet the locals would call you a wizard…

in Lore

Posted by: Charr Guardian.1497

Charr Guardian.1497

The material definitely looked similar to the roofs on the dwarven houses, but much of their architecture when it came to walls and towers used wood instead of stone or metal (whatever it may be) This makes me wonder if it wasn’t some remnant of one of the ancient races, though it doesn’t appear like jotun style, from what little we’ve seen, nor does it appear to be created by the forgotten, assuming the structures in the crystal desert were created by the forgotten.

Some of the structures in the crystal desert, were created by the Margonites. A fallen human civilization, all worshippers of Abaddon.

Later, the followers of Turai Ossa arrived and settled the area as well, but never completed some of their buildings

(edited by Charr Guardian.1497)

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Actually, the Margonites spent time in the area when it was the Crystal Sea, before Abaddon’s fall. So they may have made a few things along the “coasts” of this area, but nothing in the area itself. And much of what the humans following Turai Ossa built were most likely the wooden structures not the statues and monuments, because of their short time period there.