World Map flavor text

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: Ruin.1927

Ruin.1927

I saw that the first GW game had descriptions of locations on the game map. Any chance this could make a comeback? I know we have a wiki, but just thought it be nice to get a little info in the game when we come across a point of interest.

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

It’s been mentioned before that hovering over a PoI or the name of the region, it would be nice to get info on it. There hasn’t been much any response from devs on that though.

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Kinda like what ‘The Atlas’ on the website has now?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Except in game, and includes information from much further back than this last year. Stuff like hovering over the Ruins of the Unseen would explain that it’s an ancient temple to the Mursaat used by the White Mantle, or give a short synopses of the Terebinth Tree, etc… etc…

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

+1! I really hope Guild Wars 2 add more official lore in-game.
I think the Atlas was a great thought, but for me it just doesn’t feel immersive or fun. I want to run into such additional info during my gaming experience.

(just as I really would have liked to enter the Durmand Priory’s libraries (or book stands in Divinity’s Reach etc.) and be able to read the full versions of “The History of Tyria”, “The Ecology of the Charr”, etc. etc. – I will make a separate thread later on for the many thoughts I have on this matter)

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Here’s a cool idea that Anet could fit in nicely.

Have a library with archives saved from LA.
Go in and talk to one of the keepers (depending on the subject), choose a topic and it would open a cutscene with a voice actor talking about what ever topic you elected.
The cutscenes could be made just like most in game, stylized art.
This could be replayed when ever you wanted, and more and more chapters could be added.

For money saving sake, the voice actor could change depending on the story you select, so while adding new topics any available actor at the time would do the trick.
Text could be lifted directly from the wiki to make it more time efficient for the writers.

Frankly, we already have something like this, it’s called the woodenpotatoes channel, 98% of the lore I know about GW2 I learned from that channel, Anet could even ask him to produce this and all they had to do would be the cutscenes to match the audiotrack.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Dean Calaway.9718)

World Map flavor text

in Lore

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I have always thought that the POI’s were pretty pointless anyways, I mean yeah they mark important areas of note, but why are they important? How are we supposed to know? I remember when I first got a POI discovered in the beta weekend and I thought, “Oh, this game must have something like SWTOR where it unlocks some lore entry and we can read about that area of the map!” But after searching through the menu’s I realized that this was not existent…..

I really think that they should have a Tome tab in your inventory, like the “My Story” tab, and it lists the regions, zones and areas, and then lists the POI’s and when you click on one, you get a little screenshot up top of the POI and then some text below it explaining it’s significance in the world. That would be super awesome!