Would a Charr Adopt a Human?

in Lore

Posted by: Valena.5160

Valena.5160

We see inter-species relationships all the time in GW2, and while it seems perfectly reasonable that most races would adopt children of any other race (Including humans adopting Charr cubs), I have doubts about a Charr parent adopting a human child.
Maybe if the Charr parent in question was mated to a human, then adopting human children wouldn’t be out of the question, but for the sake of the argument let’s take a look at a more extreme – and admittedly cliched – scenario.

A Charr warband just finished sacking a human separatist outpost and are about to head for home when one of the Charr notices a squirming, crying baby still alive in the rubble. The child’s parents were presumably separatists and are now dead by the warband’s hands, and leaving it behind would mean certain death for the child. So, either out of guilt or compassion or for whatever other reason, this Charr decides to take the baby home. The Charr in question has no mate, making him/her the single parent of this human baby. Perhaps at first he/she tries to find the baby a human home, but becomes attached over time and winds up raising the human as his/her own.

What sort of social stigmas would the Charr and the child live with? Would it be safe to publicly raise the child (e.g. let him/her run around in the Black Citadel streets and pay with the other cubs)? Would the child be forever barred from joining one of the Legions and following in his/her parent’s footsteps? Would the Charr parent be exiled for bringing a human child into Charr lands? Would the child be exiled? Would either of them be killed?

I know relations between the humans and Charr have gotten better, but as far as I know the treaty hasn’t been signed yet and there are still strong racial tensions on both sides, given their shared past. This suggests that it wouldn’t be impossible for a Charr to raise a human, but it would be unlikely and there would be social consequences. I’m wondering what those would be.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I would agree to most of that- however, a charr could perfectly well raise a human in Lion’s Arch. In the situation you describe, my bet would be that cultural stigma and suspicion from his superiors would drive the charr to either pass the child on to the human population living in Gladium Canton or to live as a gladium themselves in Lion’s Arch. I doubt anyone would go so far as to officially exile/kill them though.

Note that even after the treaty is signed, though, a charr wouldn’t be able to raise a human child, because they do not raise their own children. As soon as they’re weaned charr cubs go to a fahrar, and I cannot see one of those being opened to other races for any reason- nor would it be fair to a human child to be forced into one.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Valena.5160

Valena.5160

Note that even after the treaty is signed, though, a charr wouldn’t be able to raise a human child, because they do not raise their own children. As soon as they’re weaned charr cubs go to a fahrar, and I cannot see one of those being opened to other races for any reason- nor would it be fair to a human child to be forced into one.

How does this work in the case of, say, a Charr/Human couple raising a child? Would the Charr ignore the child and leave raising it to it’s human father or mother, or could the Charr possibly learn ways of caring for their young?
Or is it more likely that the Charr parent would encourage their child to join a Warband, since as seen in one of the Norn personal story lines, apparently Warbands aren’t beyond adopting honorary members from other species?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Honestly, I expect the charr would leave the kid to the human parent and not publicly acknowledge it.

Maybe, maybe, IF everything goes according to plan with the treaty, IF other races start integrating into the Black Citadel, IF the kid learned to fight by him/herself… I can see one of the looser knit, more unorthodox warbands possibly taking on another race unofficially. One would never be allowed into a fahrar or fully into a warband though- the officers wouldn’t allow it, because at the end of the day other races can’t be relied upon to be accountable to authority the way a charr can.

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

At this point in the timeline I could see the Charr drop by Ebonhawke and tell some human “Here, your problem now”. Leaving the kid with humans, but for the sake of argument let’s assume he or she took the kid in.

It would make more sense for the Charr to live in Lion’s Arch instead of Black Citadel.
Kids get sent to fahrars at a young age and so the human kid would be at a severe disadvantage in that scenario.

The idea of a Charr adopting humans who prove themselves isn’t too strange, but I think it takes the strange ones to consider it.

When Cobiah Marriner was rescued by the Iron Legion on the Havoc he was a young man, probably just barely in his twenties. As he worked with them and showed he was capable, most of the Charr left him alone. In fact at one point in the book Cobiah cheered on his crew by saying “We are Charr!”

A Human identifying as a Charr and these guys saw him as part of the warband.
So if it was a mewling child or baby I could see the Charr leaving it with some other humans. If it was a plucky child who didn’t show fear and the Charr was quirky, I could see them either living off the land or in Lion’s Arch.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Lore

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I have seen norn (father) & asura (mother) parents and their child is a sylvari in Tarnished Coast-Divinity’s Reach. It is okay for a charr to adopt a human.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Yes, but in Cobiah’s case they were in a life-or-death situation, where every extra hand meant that much better chance of survival. They were planning on going their separate ways as soon as the crisis passed. When that plan changed, the entire group went to live in (well, found) Lion’s Arch. No higher officer than the one also facing death on the ship ever knew about it, and as soon as the crew as a whole adopted Cobiah during that scene you mentioned they deserted the Legions.

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I have seen norn (father) & asura (mother) parents and their child is a sylvari in Tarnished Coast-Divinity’s Reach. It is okay for a charr to adopt a human.

I gotta find those guys on the map!
That’s interesting.

As for Coby yes the life/death situation makes for an interesting catalyst, but my point was the fact that a human related to Charr so closely at the time.
In theory it is possible for a human raised by a Charr to identify with his guardian.

We’ve seen it with Tarzan and apes, Mandalorians and whatever war orphans they’ve picked up in fiction.

Now a baby or small child? Not really that effective considering the Charr way of raising their children.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

I believe Exosferatu meant roleplayers. If not, I have not even been paying remotely enough attention.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I could see a charr keeping a human cub as a pet. And as someone else said, if the human cub was particularly spunky, maybe even keep him even when the charr did get around human settlements. Though, this obviously wouldn’t be the norm or happen on a large scale, it also wouldn’t be unreasonable.

in Lore

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

Totaly agree with a charr droping the child to Ebonhawke, plus a charr if is in a warband whoud never quit the warband for a child, thats why fahrar exists, to leave your cubs safe there and focus to your warband or whatever your doing.

Also the op said they kill a separatist settlement or camp. Separatists means political, just because they see things diferently or against something dont make then necesarly bad. From their perspective they are the good guys and we are the evil ones. So no matter of parents political views a child is pure of any “us or they” they have no knowledge. So any child is still verry valuble no matter if he comes from pirates, separatists or royal familys

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.