Wyld Hunt

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: Jay RF.8407

Jay RF.8407

So i was playing the Sylvari story line and was wondering. With HoT coming could it be that the dragon we are supposed to face as our wyld hunt is mordremoth and not zaithan? We see a rather plant-like dragon in our dream and not something that looks undead. So i thaught that maybe we are really meant to fight Mordremoth and Anet hinted so evan in our first instance as a sylvari.

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m not going to spoil things for you, so I’ll just say this:

When you kill Zhaitan, pay close attention to all dialogue your sylvari PC says.

And when you play through Season 2, pay attention to dialogue while in The Grove.

The Shadow of the Dragon is indeed a Wyld Hunt for killing Zhaitan. It is a symbol fought by many sylvari, not just the PC, which signifies that sylvari is to face down the Elder Dragons and their minions. The PC is a bit unique, sharing the same Wyld Hunt that Caithe has – which at first is to kill Zhaitan. When Zhaitan is defeated, the sylvari PC confirms with Caithe that their shared Wyld Hunt is completed. However, in Season 2 it is revealed that the Shadow of the Dragon also serves as Mordremoth’s champion – it’s unclear whether the Shadow of the Dragon seen in Tyria is the same as the one seen in the Dream or a mimicry of it, but when the Shadow of the Dragon attacks the Pale Tree in Season 2, the PC confirms with Trahearne that their Wyld Hunt has re-ignited, this time being to kill Mordremoth. It seems that the Wyld Hunt’s true intent for the sylvari PC is to either fight any Elder Dragon the Pale Tree, or to fight any Elder Dragon that has become active in the world.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: Janderson.4670

Janderson.4670

IIRC i know Trahearne says his wyld hunt is complete but Caither nvr actually says it….. this may be looking to into it but u nvr know.

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Caithe does when you first talk to her in Victory or Death’s second instance (in Fort Trinity).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Victory_or_Death#Dialogue

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

True, but the dialogue in the Caithe flashbacks also implies that her Wyld Hunt may have been more ambiguous and something she was trying to figure out. She may have thought that it was over in VoD but when new info came up, then realized that her Wyld Hunt may have involved something else entirely.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

True, but the dialogue in the Caithe flashbacks also implies that her Wyld Hunt may have been more ambiguous and something she was trying to figure out. She may have thought that it was over in VoD but when new info came up, then realized that her Wyld Hunt may have involved something else entirely.

I have been thinking much about that, along with the suggestion in the same flashback that it may be possible for a sylvari to misinterpret their Wyld Hunt. I could easily believe that of Caithe because, as Logan pointed out later, she is a “linear thinker”. Once she fastens onto an idea or course of action, she’s like a dog with a bone. No matter how wrong a course she’s on, it takes a lot to derail her, as she proved in her pursuit of Wynne and seems to be proving with regard to Glint’s egg. Her mind closes up tight and counter-arguments seem to go in one ear and out the other. She actively avoids giving explanations and opening her actions up to discussion and debate.

A sylvari PC’s Wyld Hunt may overlap with those of Caithe and Trahearne, but is not identical to either. We still don’t know exactly what Caithe’s Wyld Hunt is, and she may not know either, though she may think she does. Trahearne’s Wyld Hunt may have “reignited”, but it’s hard to see how it could mutate from “cleanse Orr” into “kill Mordremoth”. I suspect his true mission is removal of elder dragon corruption in general, with removal of the elder dragons being a necessary (but not sufficient) condition.

It might help if the writers were all of the same mind on what, exactly, a Wyld Hunt is. From the PS and Living World it would seem to be a personal imperative for some, but not all, sylvari. Other conversations we hear in the open world suggest that the Wyld Hunt is more like one of the Orders. E.g., “Did you ever serve with Caithe in the Wyld Hunt?” (Caer Shadowfain), and “The Wyld Hunt needs assistance!” (Sparkfly Fen).

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The flashbacks take place in 1304/1305, during which time Caithe doesn’t seem to have had a Wyld Hunt yet.

That doesn’t make it ambiguous when she knows what it is 20 years later, after having seen Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik in person.

A sylvari PC’s Wyld Hunt may overlap with those of Caithe and Trahearne, but is not identical to either. We still don’t know exactly what Caithe’s Wyld Hunt is, and she may not know either, though she may think she does. Trahearne’s Wyld Hunt may have “reignited”, but it’s hard to see how it could mutate from “cleanse Orr” into “kill Mordremoth”. I suspect his true mission is removal of elder dragon corruption in general, with removal of the elder dragons being a necessary (but not sufficient) condition.

You seem to be misunderstanding something.

The only Wyld Hunt that ‘reignited’ is the sylvari PC’s. Trahearne’s and Caithe’s Wyld Hunts are, by all indication, completed and remained so.

It might help if the writers were all of the same mind on what, exactly, a Wyld Hunt is. From the PS and Living World it would seem to be a personal imperative for some, but not all, sylvari. Other conversations we hear in the open world suggest that the Wyld Hunt is more like one of the Orders. E.g., “Did you ever serve with Caithe in the Wyld Hunt?” (Caer Shadowfain), and “The Wyld Hunt needs assistance!” (Sparkfly Fen).

I think there might have just been one dev that had it wrong, as there’s a human somewhere near those areas that mentions partaking in/having a Wyld Hunt.

I think somewhere down the line, a dev meant “wardens” but wrote “wyld hunt” – in other words, seems to be a typo that should be bugged.

Dear ANet writers,

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

The flashbacks take place in 1304/1305, during which time Caithe doesn’t seem to have had a Wyld Hunt yet.

That doesn’t make it ambiguous when she knows what it is 20 years later, after having seen Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik in person.

There are two things that make skeptical of your interpretation, so I will respectfully offer my own.

1) We get this tidbit from her conversation with Niamh:

Caithe: As for me, my Wyld Hunt will likely take me away from here.
Niamh: Last I heard, the exact nature of your Wyld Hunt was still mysterious. Have you had insight into what you’re being called to do?
Caithe: Not exactly. But it’s linked to dragons. I’ll know when the moment comes.

It could be linked with Zhaitan, but she’s not sure. She only knows that it’s linked to dragons.

2) Her Wyld Hunt’s connection with Zhaitan is not fixed:

Kahedins: I fear some will go astray and misinterpret their Wyld Hunts.
Caithe: Is it possible to misinterpret your Wyld Hunt? That’s worth considering.

And this last bit makes me wonder whether Caithe did just that in regards to Zhaitan. Her real Wyld Hunt may very well deal with Glint’s egg.

I’m not saying that this interpretation MUST BE, but I think we should be aware that the narrative is creating the gap for ambiguity to exist. We should allow for this ambiguity to exist, at least for the time being, because we don’t know the complete narrative yet, particularly in regard’s to Caithe’s story as it will extend into HoT.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Wyld Hunt

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yeah, but that all happened 20 years prior so it seems like there should be some differences from how we saw Caithe in the personal story, which could easily include her Wyld Hunt.

Even during Edge of Destiny, Caithe doesn’t seem all that certain on what her Wyld Hunt is – she’s a wanderer at that point, her only goal is to stop the Elder Dragons.

And a sylvari knows when their Wyld Hunt is complete – there are various sylvari, such as right outside the Grove in Caledon Forest that describes the sensation of having a Wyld Hunt, so the void of that sensation would become apparent upon the Wyld Hunt’s completion.

While we’ve been told in an interview that a sylvari who’s highly convinced that his/her Wyld Hunt has been completed with subconsciously ignore the continued sensation of the Wyld Hunt being there until convinced it wasn’t completed/doubting that it was completed, Caithe doesn’t seem like someone who would be so dead-set on being certain her Wyld Hunt was to kill only Zhaitan that she would convince herself that her Wyld Hunt was complete – especially given her lack of direction even 5 years prior let alone 20 years prior, and given how she knows all Elder Dragons are a threat.

While I certainly see how that can be taken as ‘opening ambiguity’, it seems expective to be presented for the sake of reverse character development.

Dear ANet writers,