how big is Glint compare to other dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

watching some old gw1 video showing glint, make me wonder if they recrated glint in gw2 how big would she be? same as teq?, shatterer or maybe as big as claw? i heard that even zaitan was the smallest of all elder dragon and zaitan like 3 size bigger that glory of tyria ship. added image of glint master kralky showing just hes back. galleons looking pretty small compare to the spikes in his back that look like mountains

Attachments:

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Sadly that is only concept art. I do still hold out hope that they will have some way to let us feel we are fighting something the size of a mountain range when we get to Kralkatorrik. Zhaitan was disappointingly small due to the needs of game mechanics. Maybe we’ll find that a good hunk of the HoT area is all part of Mordremoth and defeating him will wreck the ecosystem …

Anyway, Glint was a Champion as I understand it. I’d assume she’d be in the Shatterer/Claw range of sizes while manifested in Tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

You can get somewhat of a size comparison between her and DE from SE story mode. She looks about the same size or slightly smaller than Teq or Shatterer judging by those pictures. It’s hard to get a good read since the PoV is all from an angle with the rest of her body out of frame though.

Compared to Kralk, she’s was basically the size of a fly.

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah, they kinda retconed her size in GW2. In GW1 she was not that big. When I’m on my PC next, I’ll grab the pic I’ve got of her.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Yeah, they kinda retconed her size in GW2. In GW1 she was not that big. When I’m on my PC next, I’ll grab the pic I’ve got of her.

I wouldn’t really call it a retcon. With how Ogden and the Brotherhood of the Dragon were describing her as basically some sort of proto-Elder Dragon, any growth in size could be explained by her absorbing an ever increasing amount of magic.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Zhaitan was disappointingly small due to the needs of game mechanics.

Actually Zhaitan was bigger than he looked. The problem was that there was no point of reference when we fought him. Someone on reddit made this chart, showing that Zhaitan was over 500 meters long. That’s not what I would call disappointingly small.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Edge of Destiny gives these loose measurements for Glint and Kralkatorrik:

1. Kralkatorrik is 1,000 feet tall, with a wingspan that can block out the sun (mind you, this was from the perspective of someone standing underneath him).
  2. Kralkatorrik is described as 20 times the size of Glint.

This would make Glint approximately 50 feet tall.

Some additional facts:

Tequatl measures:
body width – 22m
wingspan – 188 m
height (when on 4 legs from ground to the top) – 35 m
length (head to tail) – 113 m

Zhaitan:
wingspan – 500 m
height – a bit unmeasureable, since he has no legs and each hand is different
length – 506 m

Glory of Tyria:
wingspan – 262 m
height – 158 m
length – 370 m

Zhaitan’s height ‘averages’ (saying such because both arms are different lengths) to about 1,000 feet, so Zhaitan’s model and Kralkatorrik’s description make them approximately the same size (a couple hundred feet difference tops).

If Edge of Destiny’s ‘20 times’ size difference description is accurate, this makes Glint roughly half the size of modern dragon champions.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Donari.5237

Actually Zhaitan was bigger than he looked. The problem was that there was no point of reference when we fought him. Someone on reddit made this chart, showing that Zhaitan was over 500 meters long. That’s not what I would call disappointingly small.

Goodness. I’m curious as to how they determined his size, is that included in the notes on the Reddit chart? As you say, there is no point of reference provided in the game visuals. So they could just be guessing, if that image is all there is.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

IIRC, as I recall talking to at least one person who figured out the sizes, they actually took the ingame model and got the sizes directly from that.

He also got sizes for the breachmaker, the giant marionette, and all the champions.

Last I heard the one thing he didn’t have sizes for (which made me sad) was the normal airships.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Here is the link to the thread

The OP only states that he took the image from the wiki, but if you go there you’ll find the note “Zhaitan is approx. 506 metres long (1660 feet) and its wingspan can reach up to 570 metres (1870 feet). (measured by original model, ripped from GW2.dat)” in the trivia section.

in Lore

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

I like to think that what we fight was only small part of Zhaitan. We weaken him so much that he didn’t have enough strength to maintain hes whole body.

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

here is a pic of a defeated Glint after I beat her in GW1, using the characters as a reference, she is quite small. The bottom one might be a bit better

Attachments:

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I wouldn’t really call it a retcon. With how Ogden and the Brotherhood of the Dragon were describing her as basically some sort of proto-Elder Dragon, any growth in size could be explained by her absorbing an ever increasing amount of magic.

We don’t really know too much about EDs physical bodies. Zhaitan was a composite dragon, likely if there was any sort of a ‘core’ to him it wouldn’t be too large either. Maybe Glint would also eventually have been able to augment her size in some way.

Goodness. I’m curious as to how they determined his size, is that included in the notes on the Reddit chart? As you say, there is no point of reference provided in the game visuals. So they could just be guessing, if that image is all there is.

I’m assuming they rendered the models using their ‘in-game’ size.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Vyko – whom I quoted in my post above yours – was the one who figured it out. He has a program (forgot it’s name) which allows him to place the game’s models into an open 3d area. He took the size of a human that measured 2 meters and used that as a reference point.

He used that method to measure various other things: Tequatl, the Glory of Tyria, the Breachmaker, and the Twisted Marionette were what he showed. Though he used the program to place various things side-by-side (such as all four dragon champion models next to Zhaitan, a human, and Glory of Tyria, or Tequatl and Zhaitan alone, and Zhaitan, all four dragon champions, and the original dead Zhaitan model (the head and neck of which was the size of the entire current Zhaitan model).

Here’s one thread on the topic Though there were more.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Donari.5237

Thanks. That’s fascinating.

Maybe the next time we’re up against an Elder Dragon there can be a cinematic that places some things by it for scale. Heh, if Mordremoth is big enough to send continent spanning tendrils, there might need to be a camera in low-Tyrian orbit to encompass him.

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

One simple trick to show how big Mordremoth is without having to put something next to him for scale, would be to fight on the ground. This way the player would have to look up at Mordy. The camera angle alone makes it look like you are up against something massive. I bet you if we fought Zhaitan on the ground like, for example, the Giganticus Lupicus the player reaction to him would have been different. Well in Zhaitan’s case it didn’t help that he looks rather slim and wiry.

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

other games have done justice to epic fights with huge monster, if any of you know or have played shadow of the colossus. you know epic fights can be done even with a ps2 console -_- so why not gw2

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in Lore

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Sadly that is only concept art. I do still hold out hope that they will have some way to let us feel we are fighting something the size of a mountain range when we get to Kralkatorrik. Zhaitan was disappointingly small due to the needs of game mechanics. Maybe we’ll find that a good hunk of the HoT area is all part of Mordremoth and defeating him will wreck the ecosystem …

Anyway, Glint was a Champion as I understand it. I’d assume she’d be in the Shatterer/Claw range of sizes while manifested in Tyria.

in the novel. she was so small compared to her master that he was able to grab her neck, while she couldnt even reach his shoulder.

so i’d assume she’s 1/5 the side of him.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It would seem that people completely overlooked my post…

Edge of Destiny states that Kralkatorrik is 1,000 feet tall when standing on all four, and twenty times the size of Glint. This makes Glint 50 feet tall when standing on all four – which is just under half of the size of Tequatl (who is ~115 feet tall when standing on all four).

other games have done justice to epic fights with huge monster, if any of you know or have played shadow of the colossus. you know epic fights can be done even with a ps2 console -_- so why not gw2

The fact that Anet hasn’t (either by choice or by limitation) added the ability to climb vertical platforms heavily renders comparisons to the Shadow of the Colossus to be impossible to do for GW2.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Edge of Destiny states that Kralkatorrik is 1,000 feet tall when standing on all four, and twenty times the size of Glint. This makes Glint 50 feet tall when standing on all four – which is just under half of the size of Tequatl (who is ~115 feet tall when standing on all four).

At the risk of pedantry, it depends on what they mean by size. If they’re factoring all the dimensions, which is usually the case with quadrupeds (that or just length or just weight), the only way her height’d come out at 50 is if she was as long and wide as Kralk. Under the reasonable assumption that that’s not the case, she’d have to be quite a bit taller to compensate.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I remember somebody scaled her based on the one cutscene (I think for honor of the waves), basing her head compared to Eir’s body in the few pictures. Last I remember was she ended up being somewhat similar in size to the other champions, but she was much sleeker and slim in build.

I have yet to see a single suggestion for five heroes (aka players, going off original story mode dungeon they are removing in future for Arah) vs Zhaitan, on foot, that actually was believable to me. His size (which rivals some sci-fi starships…) is so vast, we’d never penetrate his hide with human sized swords.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

At the risk of pedantry, it depends on what they mean by size. If they’re factoring all the dimensions, which is usually the case with quadrupeds (that or just length or just weight), the only way her height’d come out at 50 is if she was as long and wide as Kralk. Under the reasonable assumption that that’s not the case, she’d have to be quite a bit taller to compensate.

I would figure all figures were proportionally smaller, especially since both Kralkatorrik and Glint are stated to have huge wingspans for their bodies (Kralkatorrik’s wings ‘block out the sun’ while Glint’s ‘stretched from one end to the other of her sanctum’).

Dear ANet writers,