lore behind shadow of behemoth?

in Lore

Posted by: Arathor.7419

Arathor.7419

is there any lore behind the shadow of behemoth?

A wolf among sheep

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I doubt, really. It’s just something from Underworld.

This boss was most likely introduced for players starting the game to experience “cool megaboss” fight early on. Most of players will always pick humans, so it was located in most crowded zone. It’s not a “lore” foe, in fact, most of enemies you encounter aren’t specific in lore on story.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

The Shadow Behemoth is just a giant creature made of shadow. During the fight, he summons creatures that come from the underworld.

There is no lore about the Shadow Behemoth itself, but that he comes from the Underworld and the Underworld creatures he spawns are lore-related because he sits right on Godslost Swamp, the site of the former Temple of the Ages.
In GW1, you would go there to be taken to the Underworld. If you swim under the water, you will see the ruins of the statues of the gods that used to be in the Temple of the Ages, minus Kormir of course, who was presumably added in later.

in Lore

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Well, the fact that this creature is related to Shadow does offer an interesting point of view. in this thread I tried to identify the (lego) block that make up magic on Tyria, by loosy relating the Gods to the Dragons: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Perspective-Dragons-Gods/first#content

What turned out at the end was that I was mainly left with:
1. Monk/White powers: which could correspond with the white orb.
2. Shadow Powers (formally assigned to Menzies – obviously my ‘theory’ in this thread pre-assumes the Gods are pretty much gone, and so is Menzies…) …

Then if now there is ‘perhaps’ an underworld Dragon that is linked to Shadow (I would like to add that the link between dragons & orbs is still somewhat ‘in limbo’ and view on it difference in regard to the scholar you talk to, the ‘perhaps’ is a huge one, I personally am of the opinion that there isn’t an underworld dragon, but: ). Or in a sense the powers over shadow, once linked to Menzies, have now manifested itself in the underworld. As part of the breakdown of magic on Tyria during the time of the Dragons.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Lore

narwhalsbend.7059

Well, the fact that this creature is related to Shadow does offer an interesting point of view. in this thread I tried to identify the (lego) block that make up magic on Tyria, by loosy relating the Gods to the Dragons: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/lore/Perspective-Dragons-Gods/first#content

2. Shadow Powers (formally assigned to Menzies – obviously my ‘theory’ in this thread pre-assumes the Gods are pretty much gone, and so is Menzies…) …

Then if now there is ‘perhaps’ an underworld Dragon that is linked to Shadow (I would like to add that the link between dragons & orbs is still somewhat ‘in limbo’ and view on it difference in regard to the scholar you talk to, the ‘perhaps’ is a huge one, I personally am of the opinion that there isn’t an underworld dragon, but: ). Or in a sense the powers over shadow, once linked to Menzies, have now manifested itself in the underworld. As part of the breakdown of magic on Tyria during the time of the Dragons.

OP wanted lore regarding SB, not your speculation regarding the new LS.

in Lore

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

It was always confusing to me how the powers were divided in Tyria. The affinities of the gods didn’t seem to make any sense, nor the dragons. Its obviously not an elemental wheel.

However, there was information from GW1 that someoene pointed out to me that shined light on the whole matter. There are of course 6 affinities, and they are polar opposites along three axes.

The affinities are:
Life <> Death
Creation <> Destruction
Reality <> Illusion

However, the way the gods use these are quite varied. For instance, Balthazar is the god with the affinity for destruction however he’s a fairly honorable dude who uses destruction as the forge for glory. However, if his half-brother, Menzies took up the mantle, things would be quite different. They’d both be gods of destruction, but with much different qualities.

Abaddon was the god of reality, but he kept it hidden. Reality was in the shadow to be revealed. When Kormir took up the mantle, reality was up front. It was portrayed as the triumph of truth instead of secrets.

When you align the gods, and the dragons, along these axes, things make sense.

in Lore

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

When you align the gods, and the dragons, along these axes, things make sense.

Maybe not the gods. The dragons seem to have a kind of balance/opposite, at least thematically. Omadd’s machine cinematic hints at the possibility of this being by intent.

Bottom: Fire – Ice
Middle: Life – Undeath
Top: Fluid – Form

in Lore

Arghore.8340

As there isn’t much lore to it currently, other than that it spawn on top of the former temple of ages, where a strong connection realm*S* of the gods were. I thought I would let him know that there may be more lore to be revealed and how it may be related to magic as a whole on Tyria. Whether or not that is interesting to him is not for you to decide?

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

A very big, very grumpy spirit/creature of the underworld.

in Lore

narwhalsbend.7059

As there isn’t much lore to it currently, other than that it spawn on top of the former temple of ages, where a strong connection realm*S* of the gods were. I thought I would let him know that there may be more lore to be revealed and how it may be related to magic as a whole on Tyria. Whether or not that is interesting to him is not for you to decide?

Regardless of the amount of lore that is there, your speculation does not count as lore in any regard.

in Lore

Arghore.8340

Regardless of the amount of lore that is there, your speculation does not count as lore in any regard.

I didn’t even state that it was lore, I stated that it was an interesting aspect of what could relate to the Dragon Power Chart that we might have seen in the vision…

in Lore

narwhalsbend.7059

I didn’t even state that it was lore, I stated that it was an interesting aspect of what could relate to the Dragon Power Chart that we might have seen in the vision…

So why did you post in the Lore section of the forum in a thread specifically asking for lore?

in Lore

Arghore.8340

Read your own post just above mine, then keep reading…