lore question

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: MacDaniel of the isles.5910

MacDaniel of the isles.5910

I found a captains log in a sunken ship off the cursed shore, it mentioned the Charr searing Orr . Is that how Orr was destroyed?

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

After The Searing in 1070AE, the Charr marched on Orr after taking back Ascalon. In 1071AE, Vizier Khilbron used a magical scroll to sink Orr below the ocean, to protect Arah from being captured, but he killed everybody in the process. This event was dubbed “The Cataclysm”.

It sat at the bottom of the sea for a bit over 100 years when Zhaitan woke up in 1219AE (he was asleep underneath Orr the whole time.) and rose it back up to the surface.

So no, Orr wasn’t destroyed by a Searing, but The Charr may have been planning to perform one before The Cataclysm beat them to it, which would explain why there is a sunken Searing Cauldron in The Straits of Devastation, and how Zhaitan spontaneously acquired one.

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The charr were intending to cause a second Searing on Orr, but never had the chance because of Khilbron as Argon outlined above.

We can even find three (not just one – three) Searing Cauldrons around Khilbron’s tower and the Broken Spit in Straits of Devastation.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I thought the Charr were already destroying and pillaging Orr and the Vizier sank Orr so they couldn’t enter Arah, or am I mistaken?

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I thought the Charr were already destroying and pillaging Orr and the Vizier sank Orr so they couldn’t enter Arah, or am I mistaken?

They were invading. Seems that The Cataclysm was after the invasion but before the Searing attempt.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

lore question

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

well, during the invasion. According to the Prophecies manual, the charr reached the gates of Arah (but did not breach them) in less than twelve hours.

Hopes were high that the Charr would be defeated quickly. The Orrian army was the equal of any in Tyria, and the invaders had already fought a long battle against the Ascalons. But those hopes were dashed in less than twelve hours.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

lore question

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

12 hours to cross the entire length of Orr? :P edit: The quote can sound like the Orrian army was routed/forced to retreat in less then 12 hours.

I know there is a book in a ship off Orr that describes the crew watching the battle from afar, thinking they were safe because they weren’t docked/near the shore. Then the cataclysm sunk them.

lore question

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Guess I should have quoted the next paragraph too:

The invaders reached the gates of Arah without breaking stride. The Orrians failed to protect their charge. With defeat at the doorstep and the kingdom nearly in ruins, one man turned to a forbidden magic. The king’s own personal advisor in the matters of the arcane took it upon himself to destroy the invaders, no matter the cost. Unrolling one of the Lost Scrolls, kept inside a warded vault deep within the catacombs below Arah, he spoke the words of a litany that spelled the end of the Kingdom of Orr forever.

The charr weren’t ever really halted. Whether one argues that means they went through the now-called Straits of Devastation, Malchor’s Leap, and Cursed Shore in less than 12 hours or they just broke the moral of the Orrian army in less than 12 hours, the charr had continuously pressed on until hitting the gates of Arah.

Dear ANet writers,