original guild wars

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: lolzertank.1928

lolzertank.1928

Who here played (or still plays) the first guild wars? what am i missing lore-wise? I have the game but only tried it like once. Not sure the what the whole story is..

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You might try watching WoodenPotatoes play through of the 3 campaigns. I’ve been watching them and found them very informative.

https://m.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

You’re missing more than you realize probably.
It’s nothing to worry about though, as it’s mostly inconsequential to GW2.

For example, every time I port to go to Champ Golem World Boss in Mount Maelstrom, I always notice the old Port Sledge bridge sunk into the mud.

(edited by narwhalsbend.7059)

original guild wars

in Lore

lolzertank.1928

I’ve watched some of WoodenPotatoes gameplay, it’s pretty cool. I’ll probably play through the campaigns myself, not if the game is too dead to play though. or if its more of a single player game and i can do the campaigns alone.

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

It’s a very different story set in a very different world. It has little to do with GW2 aside from using the same names of people and places.

You don’t need to play it to not “miss” anything.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

You’ll get some insight into plot fluff but you should be able to more than enjoy the story of GW2. Plot devices like the sword Rytlock carries can be fleshed out better though, but I’d suggest reading the three books they have written, at least Edge of Destiny.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

original guild wars

in Lore

lolzertank.1928

I tried the game for an hour about, Super fun. I’ll definitely love to finish the 3 campaigns at some point. But i’d rather play GW2 for now.. and yes I neeed those books too!

Im kind of a lore nut, I was with WoW as well which is probably why I played that game for so long. Now I really wanna get into the lore of Guild Wars

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Edge of Destiny will give you deep insight to Eir, Zoija, Logan, & Rytlock before you meet them in-game.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ve watched some of WoodenPotatoes gameplay, it’s pretty cool. I’ll probably play through the campaigns myself, not if the game is too dead to play though. or if its more of a single player game and i can do the campaigns alone.

You can use NPC’s to fill out your party, so you don’t need other players.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: NativeDigital.4539

NativeDigital.4539

I tried the game for an hour about, Super fun. I’ll definitely love to finish the 3 campaigns at some point. But i’d rather play GW2 for now.. and yes I neeed those books too!

Im kind of a lore nut, I was with WoW as well which is probably why I played that game for so long. Now I really wanna get into the lore of Guild Wars

I was into WoW lore too and when I switched to GW2 I found it was pretty superficial. I like the game because it is better suited for the spare time I have now but I couldn’t ever get into the story and different factions, agendas…. I guess it’s tailored for a different kind of player.

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I was into WoW lore too and when I switched to GW2 I found it was pretty superficial. I like the game because it is better suited for the spare time I have now but I couldn’t ever get into the story and different factions, agendas…. I guess it’s tailored for a different kind of player.

That’s funny, as I couldn’t find a story at all in WoW. Not till Wrath launched, and then it wasn’t even told well. Which is a shame, as when I read the back story to it all, it could have been a great story.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

original guild wars

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I think the main issue is that the lore in GW2 doesn’t get thrown in your face. You actually have to look for much of it yourself around the world. Just like in the real world.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square