question about elder dragons

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

We know Elder Dragons are a big source of power (that’s why the Asura built the central transfer chamber right next to Primordus and the Goods chose Arah as their city to live in (I assume this, is this been proven?)

We also know ED’s want to consume all the magic in the world.
Shouldn’t they need to consume eachother?

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Lore

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

Well, they probably wouldn’t mind consuming the magic of another dragon. But remember, the dragons aren’t mindless, they know the consequences of a direct conflict between them. I like to think of the dragons as territorial, but not directly aggressive towards one another. Besides, we don’t even know if a dragon could consume the power of another, they may well be incompatible.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

in Lore

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

Also, why go for the big, god-like entity and power versus consuming itty bitty squish-able and chewable races?

One is a MUCH bigger investment of resources and a MUCH larger danger.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Which leads one to wonder if Kralkatorrik, Primordius, or the DSD won’t try to come to Orr and consume Zhaitan’s corpse (wherever it may lie). This would be assuming that it still held it’s magical power. Now obviously there is the threat of the pact, but one has to think that the pact wouldn’t be as much of a threat to an Elder Dragon as another Elder Dragon, and the amount of increased power to be gained from it would be astounding.

Note I only mention those three because of the great distance that Jormag would have to fly.

in Lore

Posted by: smack.9651

smack.9651

I imagine they wouldn’t bother because they don’t want to make themselves the pact’s next investment. If Bubbles or Kralk move into Orr, the pact may see that as aggressive expansion and suddenly they will be in agreement of which dragon is next.

The dragons are still waking up, and they seem to want to nestle into their new territories a little more.

Eriset (80), Heathorn (80), Ballista Flockhart (46), Donny Parchezy (80)
Northern Shiverpeaks
The Forest Guard [TFG]

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yes, but you have to remember, these are still just a bunch of ants milling around a dead body. That doesn’t usually stop a scavenger from settling down for a bite. And honestly, without more research, I highly doubt that the pact would stand much of a chance against another elder dragon. I mean I don’t believe they have submarines with anti-ED cannons or any protection for their airships. I mean one shot of Kralkatorrik’s breath would brand everyone in an airship without some sort of sheilding.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Take note: the magic that Elder Dragons permiate are corruptive, even to other dragon minions.

In other words, Elder Dragon 1 sending minions to go after Elder Dragon 2 risks losing minions not by being killed, but by being corrupted. And this may even occur to the Elder Dragons themselves!

And TBH, I REALLY am hating the whole ant analogy folks are using. Last time I checked, humans don’t go using ants as resources for food, soldiers, and information.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: NolanP.7604

NolanP.7604

^ Actually dragon minions cannot be corrupted by another elder dragon themself

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Wrong. Play through Crucible of Eternity (both story and explorable). There’s three cases (Subject Alpha, Kudu, and Kudu’s Monster) where there’s a creature corrupted by multiple Elder Dragon energies.

We don’t see it in the open world because we haven’t seen Elder Dragons interacting in the open world yet. But dragon minions can be influenced by other dragons’ energies.

Fun fact: we don’t know where said three’s alliances lie. Kudu’s obviously free willed, but Subject Alpha and Kudu’s Monster’s loyalties are unknown.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

wouw.5837

I just wonderd, they consume ALL the magic and if they consumed everything except eachother why not eat eachother? you could say: hive mind, but would they attack eachother? maybe they just can’t “smell” dragon magic.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think it’s far more likely that dragon magic (other dragon’s magic, that is) is either considered too risky or poisonous to Elder Dragons and their magic – TBH, I think they consider each other the greatest threats, and so they wouldn’t attack each other when their own forces are so small still.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

To be honest this threath is too much considered from a human pov. We are (almost) the only the only species on the world that kill eachother and we do it on a huge scale.

Most predators respect each others territory and leave eachother alone….

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Lore

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

I’d say, if they do feel the urge to consume one another, that their efforts at the moment would be to consolidate their own power, grow in strength, and if the opportunity were to arise giving them the opportunity to steal the power of another ED they’d take it. Currently, what we have seen, is that the Dragons are very much keeping away from one another. The arguably closest were Kralk and Zhaitan (until further info on DSD’s location is given, I do not consider being next to water near DSD).

But yeah, I suspect for the most part, the ED’s are more attacked to killing/consuming everything but each other. It just makes more sense. Why go after the possibly most dangerous thing besides yourself when there’s all this minion fodder with hundreds of magical artifacts to just gobble up? It’s the most pragmatic decision you can make to be honest.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

in Lore

wouw.5837

well yeah, but what if all the magic is consumed, BUT the other ED’s

in Lore

EndlessDreamer.6780

Then you get in to territory of fighting over resources when eachother becomes a resource.

But by that point you have a MUCH bigger problem.

Also remember, eternal alchemy: Magic can not be created or destroyed, it simply changes form. While the dragons consume magic, there is no proof they don’t excrete it as well.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well last time the EDs consumed all known magic, they went to sleep – though this may be due to a sudden starvation what with the Bloodstone’s creation and hiding of races. But even before the last time the ED were up, they’re said to have awakened previously where they did wipe out (most of – its possible jotun and G-Lupe survived two rises ago, and of the two only the jotun survived the previous) all life – and thus would be left with only each other.

@EndlessDreamer: Both Primordus and Zhaitan, as well as Drakkar (though only a champion) are explicitly stated to excrete draconic magic while slumbering (Primordus was used to power the old asura gate network, while Zhaitan was tapped into when the Six Gods split the Bloodstone into five pieces in order to strengthen it; Drakkar being tapped into caused Svanir to become corrupted and turn into the Nornbear). Though there’s no indication of any corruption being caused by this slumbering excretion of magic.

It’s possible that they only – as Vekk puts it – “practically bleeds magic” while sleeping, but don’t when awake.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

EndlessDreamer.6780

Well last time the EDs consumed all known magic, they went to sleep – though this may be due to a sudden starvation what with the Bloodstone’s creation and hiding of races. But even before the last time the ED were up, they’re said to have awakened previously where they did wipe out (most of – its possible jotun and G-Lupe survived two rises ago, and of the two only the jotun survived the previous) all life – and thus would be left with only each other.

@EndlessDreamer: Both Primordus and Zhaitan, as well as Drakkar (though only a champion) are explicitly stated to excrete draconic magic while slumbering (Primordus was used to power the old asura gate network, while Zhaitan was tapped into when the Six Gods split the Bloodstone into five pieces in order to strengthen it; Drakkar being tapped into caused Svanir to become corrupted and turn into the Nornbear). Though there’s no indication of any corruption being caused by this slumbering excretion of magic.

It’s possible that they only – as Vekk puts it – “practically bleeds magic” while sleeping, but don’t when awake.

Then I can see that if the world ran out of magic, they’d just go back to sleep then wake up when they’re hungry to eat again.

I mean, the Elder Dragons seem to be simply forces of entropy. That’s their only task in life it seems to be.