100+ chests opened, no fossil

in Living World

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’ve spent 4-5 hours every day for the last 3 days mindlessly farming dry top for geodes so I can open chests so I can make what I believe are the coolest and most unique weapon skins anet has released in a long time (they remind me of elder scrolls IV’s mania amber weapons), however after losing count of over 100 chests being opened, I have yet to get a single fossil, while many others have gotten 2-4 fossils in that same time frame.

Honestly its a frustrating way to progress towards a reward, and whereas some people may only need 600-700 goedes to make one weapon based on luck, I might need 1500+ geodes to make the same weapon. In short, its unfair and making me hate the living story event content. If there was another way to obtain the skins without doing the event, everything would be fine, but right now all its doing is alienating unlucky players, making them feel like they’re wasting their time and sidetracking other PvE tpvp and WvW goals just to get skins.

You may say, well these skins are permanent, you can make them any time. But thats only a possibility if T4/5 maps don’t die out as new content is released in the future. In 2 weeks or a month from now, anet could release a crafted amberite backpiece or armor, and unlucky players that couldn’t get a weapon skin will be even more disconnected or alienated based on that. And finally, its a downright slap in the face for so many people who don’t care about ever making the skins to find fossils, while the people giving up so much time that could be spent doing more fun things in the game (such as myself) spend just as much if not more time farming to unlock chests never get a single fossil.

All of this is bad rewards design. Cut the RNG or give us alternative but informed ways of acquiring these skins, such as buying on the TP or a guaranteed fossil after 50 chests or something like that.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

in Living World

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

If I could sell mine, I would. I don’t like any of the new amber weapon skins, but I’m reluctant to just toss the fossil away since I know the value it has.

Mind you, making them tradeable would seriously devalue the weapon skins, but the RNG nature of acquisition is the same reason why people really hate the standard methods of acquiring precursors. At least with precursors you can buy them (albeit for exorbitant prices).

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I really hope they deal with this issue some way other than allowing you to sell fossils on the TP. Maybe if the chests dropped ambrite and a certain amount of ambrite could be traded to the NPC for your choice of fossil?

When a game doesn’t allow you to buy something from other players, making it’s acquisition incredibly rare RNG is the wrong way to do it. Something needs to offset the ease of acquisition provided by trading with players. A token system (ambrite) allows long term progression towards item acquisition, by still retaining the (questionable) decision to make fossils an RNG roll in the first place.

Retain their account-bound status to ensure players with these weapons have to play the content, but adjust their acquisition so that there is a progression back up in addition to the RNG nonsense (similar to how fractals use Pristine Relics for ascended rings in addition to daily RNG rolls).

in Living World

nearlight.3064

Yeah I agree with what you guys are saying. Putting it on the TP would satisfy me, but it would be bad for the value of the skin in general. I’d love if we could just get a guaranteed one for 500 geodes or guaranteed fossil scraps from chests that could be reassembled after 30-50 chests are opened.

Anyway, one of the fundamental problems with this system is that is exhausting and much time and energy is spent to maximize geode gain, only to essentially either waste those geodes on kitten RNG or get lucky whereas other do not. To compare to the tequatl skins, another sought after RNG skin, doing the event is a once per day event, and takes 15 minutes for the event, and 30-45 minutes to set up and find a map, and during that time you can relax and AFK and do real world things as long as you know your job when it is assigned. I’m starting to realize that I’d much rather spend 30 easy minutes and 15 on point minutes a day grinding for a rare, cool, yet dated teq skin then 4-5 hours of doing every round of 5 minute interval dry top events on point and still having nothing or very little to show for it.

I have 4 keys left from trading in all my geodes last night that I didn’t get to burn. I will use them up one last time, and if I don’t get a fossil, I’m done. I will have wasted enough time in living story meta event hell, kittening up making progress towards finally crafting ascended weapons, getting pricey runes for WvW gear and T3 cultural armor for the last character that needs it.

I will be sad though, I love the idea and look of the amber weapons, and it is frustrating and painful that I can’t stand the thought of doing event after event day after day just for the lousy “chance” to be able to craft one, rather than a guaranteed thing.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Living World

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Nevermind all the other rewards you got from opening all of those chests.

Sorry, this just screams entitlement to me.

in Living World

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

People are still in dry top? :P

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Living World

nearlight.3064

Maybe it does, and that is your opinion. How would you feel if every hour in map chat you see people talk about the fossils dropped, while you agonize away at something you don’t really enjoy?

And as for the other rewards, lets see, I now have more dragonite ore than I’ll ever need, a few obsidian shards, a lot of champ bags, and a few exotics which were nice to sell. Its not that bad, but if I cared about money with this, I could easily just do dungeons and make 4 times as much in the same amount of time.

Anyway yeah, I’ve given up on these weapons, which is a shame since I thought they were really cool, but I’m just burnt out from the events and not knowing how much more of a grind I would have left to do.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Maybe it does, and that is your opinion. How would you feel if every hour in map chat you see people talk about the fossils dropped, while you agonize away at something you don’t really enjoy?

And as for the other rewards, lets see, I now have more dragonite ore than I’ll ever need, a few obsidian shards, a lot of champ bags, and a few exotics which were nice to sell. Its not that bad, but if I cared about money with this, I could easily just do dungeons and make 4 times as much in the same amount of time.

Anyway yeah, I’ve given up on these weapons, which is a shame since I thought they were really cool, but I’m just burnt out from the events and not knowing how much more of a grind I would have left to do.

You’ve gotten exotics from the chests/Dry Top? I haven’t :P

I like that the bugs are acquired from the new zone, but I hate that they’re from chests which are not affected by MF. IF they were actual drops then they might be more common, but seriously? They’re account bound why would it matter if someone with 200+ MF gets a bunch? To place them in chests which just requires pure dumb luck to get one really isn’t nice. My husband is trying to get bugs to make the weapon(s) he wants and I just wish I could give him one that I found.

RNG has been a thorn in our side since the game launched.

in Living World

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I’m taking a break from the bug-hunt.

I REALLY want the bug-longbow, but after opening 24 chests and no insect I’m already “bugged”.

Now, when I was in the game-programming business, we built our random-content generator to progressively increase the odds of getting a rare desired object for those who hadn’t gotten it. Worked pretty well; bad luck lead to better luck. Made players happy.

in Living World

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

When I stopped playing Guild Wars 1, the loot was worse than here. The weapons had a high requirement of attribute points and were considered trash. People complained for years, nothing changed. I don’t see anything changing here either. In fact it’s getting worse.

It really seems like they don’t care at all, what we want. They smile, they make jokes in videos, and they do as they please. It’s up to us as players, to decide. Do we take it and go on not enjoying the game, or do we go? I’m putting GW2 on a shelf, my circle of friends have gone back to another MMO we played previously. I hope things get better here.

./swordsalute

Later ya’ll!

in Living World

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

That’s a shame, since OP even agrees with Shiren’s suggestion of being allowed to turn in some of those rewards to an NPC as an exchange system. Which means they are saying they literally want to be able to work for them. Beyond some cooking recipes, there’s not a lot that is unique to turn Geodes in for beyond these weapon recipes. So once you’ve got the recipe and you’re hunting for the fossils, what good are all those geodes to you?

Account bound fossils plus RNG status is a double-walled fortress of depressing. They could either keep the RNG and make them sellable or keep them account bound and earnable. Having both just feels like being punished.

That said, the Ambrite weapons are probably going to be the big draw for keeping people farming Geodes/sandstorms through the week/beyond if these events stay (which would be really nice to know ahead of time since I spent all my geodes last week thinking that they’d become useless and that I just wanted cooking recipes and now have to start again from zero for these new weapons. Silly me). So I think keeping the fossils account bound is their way of making sure people have to come and specifically farm this zone. Clever; we’ll see how it works out. Probably not in my favor since RNG gods hate me, but I’ll keep trying and see what happens.

Good luck, everyone :)

eta: Someone brought up magic find and yes! It would be nice if MF factored in to this somehow. I stopped working for MF past 110% because it was just like… why does this even matter. All the stuff I want are usually from chests and not drops. Again, it would be nice if something I worked for (MF %) was part of the equation.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

in Living World

nearlight.3064

When I stopped playing Guild Wars 1, the loot was worse than here. The weapons had a high requirement of attribute points and were considered trash. People complained for years, nothing changed. I don’t see anything changing here either. In fact it’s getting worse.

It really seems like they don’t care at all, what we want. They smile, they make jokes in videos, and they do as they please. It’s up to us as players, to decide. Do we take it and go on not enjoying the game, or do we go? I’m putting GW2 on a shelf, my circle of friends have gone back to another MMO we played previously. I hope things get better here.

./swordsalute

Later ya’ll!

You should have seen my thread in the balance forum about how the devs treat heavy classes like the favorites and let mesmers, necros, and rangers get worse and wallow in their own filth for 2 years.

Anyway, yeah the grind has got me to consider other MMOs. I can’t do a sub fee though, so wildstar and ESO (which looks like a huge scam) aren’t an option. I looked into archeage, but it honestly seems really boring, and the skill lines are a cool idea, but all of the skills look either really imbalanced or just boring and lacklustre. I will stay here as long as WvW continues to be fun, as there are so many great features about GW2 that you can’t get in other games.

Anyway, I’m going to just quit dry top and get skins that are less unique but probably cooler anyway. I’ll keep trying for the tequatl axe. I’ll hope that the devs sell marjory’s dagger once more. I’ll make the kittening crossing, so I look like a mean and green necro machine instead of the amber fossilmancer look (with my howler) that I was hoping I’d be able to get..

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Living World

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Please fix the drop rates for these, I have also opened more than 100 and no luck.
Either make them available on TP or allow us to trade x geodes for a fossil.

in Living World

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

The only grind in this game is the one you force on yourselves. I can easily make 100+ gold a month simply by playing and cleaning out my bank of all the stuff I’ve collected just by running around. This content is permanent. I.E. it’s not going anywhere. So 5 years down the line, you can keep coming back to it. Burning yourself out by only doing these events over and over again is your own problem. The amber weapons have been out for three days. Three. However, I’ll actually agree with you on one point – I’d prefer they weren’t account bound.

RNG has been in every MMO since the dawn of time. I killed Onyxia in WoW 50+ times and never once saw my Warlock T2 helmet. In a game that does not have a monthly subscription, RNG is a necessary evil – unfortunately it’s how it keeps the gem store going and the game funded for more releases.

Shelve this game all you want, the grass isn’t greener on the other side.

in Living World

nearlight.3064

The only grind in this game is the one you force on yourselves. I can easily make 100+ gold a month simply by playing and cleaning out my bank of all the stuff I’ve collected just by running around. This content is permanent. I.E. it’s not going anywhere. So 5 years down the line, you can keep coming back to it. Burning yourself out by only doing these events over and over again is your own problem. The amber weapons have been out for three days. Three. However, I’ll actually agree with you on one point – I’d prefer they weren’t account bound.

RNG has been in every MMO since the dawn of time. I killed Onyxia in WoW 50+ times and never once saw my Warlock T2 helmet. In a game that does not have a monthly subscription, RNG is a necessary evil – unfortunately it’s how it keeps the gem store going and the game funded for more releases.

I agree with on each point. I was concerned that dry top would die off as the living story continued making now the only time to be able to really get these skins.. but I digress, I wish the one programmer’s suggestion about increasing odds as you kept going was implemented. And I understand how RNG keeps gem store funds with BLTC skins, but not these amber skins that don’t really use the gem store in any way.

Doing too much of one thing that I don’t like burns me out, so I’ll gladly settle for different skins if it means I don’t feel obligated to rot in dry top.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry you guys are having bad luck. Unfortunately, someone has to :-/

Someone suggested that the drop rate for fossilized insects is about 1:25. If that’s true, then there’s a 1.7% chance that you might open 100 buried chests and still not see a fossil.

As the great philosopher Albert King once sang: If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all..

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Gieniusz Krab.8259

Gieniusz Krab.8259

Well, I used less than 15 lockpicks for my insect.

Attachments:

in Living World

Sytherek.7689

Actually, some MMOs and games DO have smarter, more player-friendly RNG. I write RNGs for a living sometimes. Wrote a high-speed one with weighted probabilities for a well-known game. As a professional, I am unimpressed with the Guild Wars RNG. They can do better.

And no, I’m not shilling for a job. I’m outa the game biz.

in Living World

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

GW1 had better RNG to be honest. I feel that GW2’s terrible RNG is directly tied to the gemstore. ie. Frustrate people until they cave and pull out their visas.
I couldn’t even care about getting a weapon, although they are cool.
I am at the point where I just don’t even care about the drops anymore

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Living World

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have my insect. it took me al of yesterday from morning until just before 3 a.m. when my final key actually did open a chest right. I stopped counting at some point, I know I opened more than 70 boxes and it was awful. Getting the fossil at the end did not feel like a triuph, just a relief. My sympathies, OP.

There really should be one other way than sheer luck to get anything in game. Even if it was hard or tedious, it would be fair to all. Lucky people will never understand how it feels to keep trying time after time and knowing it could never happen.

in Living World

Sytherek.7689

GW1 had better RNG to be honest. I feel that GW2’s terrible RNG is directly tied to the gemstore. ie. Frustrate people until they cave and pull out their visas.

I worked on games before cash stores.

However, I would not be surprised if “intelligent” RNG was frowned on by cash-store game developers.

That said, I’m not against cash stores. I even spend real $$$ on GW2, because I want to. But the current cash-store mentality of many games is making me spend more time and money on other hobbies.

There is a point where frustration and excessive cash-shops drive players away, reducing revenues.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I just need one insect. I haven’t been grinding for it, though, I simply took part in a couple of T4 runs and used keys from the LS.

However, as I was able to buy the shortbow recipe thanks to those T4’s, I have to report something sad. You don’t just need the insect, guys. You also need the Nomad’s inscription (for the shortbow, it’s Nomad’s Imbued Orichalcum Inscription) … and that is also RNG account bound from the Drytop chests.

So I have all the mats sitting on my Huntsman, just waiting for the insect AND the inscription recipe to drop during whatever time I can be in Drytop during a sandstorm while holding keys.

in Living World

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

20 chests opened, 3 fossils found, RNG is a harsh mistress.

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I just need one insect. I haven’t been grinding for it, though, I simply took part in a couple of T4 runs and used keys from the LS.

However, as I was able to buy the shortbow recipe thanks to those T4’s, I have to report something sad. You don’t just need the insect, guys. You also need the Nomad’s inscription (for the shortbow, it’s Nomad’s Imbued Orichalcum Inscription) … and that is also RNG account bound from the Drytop chests.

So I have all the mats sitting on my Huntsman, just waiting for the insect AND the inscription recipe to drop during whatever time I can be in Drytop during a sandstorm while holding keys.

You buy the inscription with your geodes. The recipes that drop are for the Nomad/Ventari weapons & armor.

in Living World

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

They NEED to make them un account bound so that the people who do not want them can sell them TO PLAYERS who either cannot get the fossil, or don’t have time because of work and school or what have you- and it would be awesome- Players make a weapon and recipe to sell on the TP for 100g? yeah Id pay 100g for one of those weapons, but since the stats suck they wouldn’t go for that much.

I am at 77 keys and nothing. My sister and friend on the other hand under 10 tries and bam they got them. My sister joked and said “Because you want it the most out of us (my sister and friend) you aren’t going to get it.”

(edited by SnowHawk.3615)

in Living World

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

After about 70ish keys, literally my last key was the one that got me the bug- I think the bug drops need to be waaay more common- everyone should have more than a chance to obtain a bug so they can get the weapon theyd want- I wonder how many have given up due to the lack of drops? I wonder how many who are farming for the bugs won’t be able to get it? Everyone who tries should get a fossil- The drops should be a 4/5. Not 1/100. Or have more ways of obtaining these fossils.

in Living World

Posted by: Blazing Liger.1236

Blazing Liger.1236

The Nomad’s inscription recipe is 50 geodes. All the ambrite weapons require it. I finally got Scorpiones. I really want the whole set though. I’m not sure how I’m going to manage that much luck and grind. My advice? Get the recipes FIRST, since they require a t4/5 zone. The bugs are just luck, and not tied to tier, so you could get those any time in the future.

It’s hard to do jumping puzzles with a big, fuzzy butt.

in Living World

SnowHawk.3615

Why won’t anet take a freaking look at this and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Whew, thanks guys! I missed that was a purchasable thing. So now I only need that darn insect. /relieved

in Living World

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Shockingly, I got one (normally have hellish RNG luck), but I think it would be nice to give a bug as a reward for, say, completing all the achievements — either for Entanglement and/or Dry Top or something. Let people have a guaranteed way to work for it.

RNG-fests always drive me nuts. I feel like there should always be a slower, “guaranteed” method to get anything.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Living World

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

A token system is always better, imagine if the dungeons would have a drop chance of weapons/armor instead of tokens you can work towards and get your stuff guarantee.

That would be terrible, but the other side of the coin is, dungeon gear doesn’t really have “bragging rights”, like it or not for something to be valuable on an MMO, NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE IT, if theres a guarantee way to get stuff then it’s value is null or next to it.

That’s why skins like the Tequatl ones are more rare than legendaries ergo more valuable.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

in Living World

SnowHawk.3615

91 chests (now) and nothing, my friend has 3 bugs now first try each time. He throws them away because he doesn’t want the weapons, he wants the goggles. What a waste, they should be sellable not account bound.

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

I kind of find it funny when I see people talking about “value” on things they can’t trade.

Obviously they’re not talking about monetary value since you can’t trade them, so what other form of value would they have?

If you like the look of the skin, is it strangely “devalued” by how many other people can get it? I mean, I love the look of my Dragon Jade Longbow, and everyone had and has access to it, and I don’t feel like it’s any less valuable even if I see other people with it.

There is no value on a bound item except that which you choose to apply to it, and it’s silly to claim that it has less value if more people can have it. Are you suggesting it’s only worth having if it’s rare? Then do you really like the skin?

How does it hurt you if more people have it, exactly?

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have to strongly disagree. GW1 had worse drops by far. I’d do vanquishes with two other players regularly, and we considered it lucky if we got 5-6 rares between us; we never saw greens, even during double-drop weeks.

And then if you actually did get a drop, it was often worthless to you. Most greens had so little value that vendors barely wanted to buy them. And if you did get a coveted item, it was likely that it didn’t fit your builds, so you’d have to sit around kamadan for hours trying to sell it for “market” value.

In GW2, I can make use of any drop: most gear sells at greater than vendor value, the mats can be used to create stuff I ckittene/sell/forge, etc. In GW1, bad drops meant more inventory to manage; there were no alternative uses.

I’m not saying GW2 RNG is optimal, but in my opinion, it is far superior to that of GW1.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Rainshine.5493

There is no value on a bound item except that which you choose to apply to it, and it’s silly to claim that it has less value if more people can have it. Are you suggesting it’s only worth having if it’s rare? Then do you really like the skin?

How does it hurt you if more people have it, exactly?

Heh, I agree with you on this (I use the pearl skin on my ele, because I think it’s pretty and I don’t care that it’s not rare) but I think we may be in the minority with that attitude. A lot of gamers seem to have the “Fissure of Woe armor dyed all black” syndrome (if you ever played GW1).

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I’m not even going to bother with this. I really hate RNG like this, especially when it’s gated behind a 2 or 3 step process. It wouldn’t be so bad, if the shared loot table was worthwhile, but it’s not. It would’ve been better to have minimal loot, and a higher chance of any weapon dropping from chests, instead of just the token. This way, at least the other weapons can be used for future alts.

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It’s funny how you try to blame the player, instead of the actual game design and thought process that was put into it. RNG isn’t a necessary evil. It’s just “evil”. It’s terrible game design, without a better algorithmic process.

As one poster above mentioned, it could be programmed to increase the chances of obtaining an item, by caculating the amount of tries that the chests were open. It actually gives the players more control of their time. If someone wants to spend more time to get something faster, then he could have that choice, and if the casual player wanted to obtain that item, over a year’s time, then they would have that choice too.

Speaking of WoW, i thought people like you didn’t want GW2 to become WoW. So now, since Anet does it, the RNG is a “necessary evil”. Fanboys sure are funny.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

If I could sell mine, I would. I don’t like any of the new amber weapon skins, but I’m reluctant to just toss the fossil away since I know the value it has.

Mind you, making them tradeable would seriously devalue the weapon skins, but the RNG nature of acquisition is the same reason why people really hate the standard methods of acquiring precursors. At least with precursors you can buy them (albeit for exorbitant prices).

How can you devalue luck and grinding? They should be tradable, just like the scarf and goggles.

in Living World

Posted by: Socks.7618

Socks.7618

How can you devalue luck and grinding? They should be tradable, just like the scarf and goggles.

This exactly, I don’t see the point of making the scarf and goggles tradeable, while the insects are not. Both are RNG from the buried chests, and both are new skins (or lead to), which some people dislike, and some people like.

I myself am sitting at 133 chests opened. No fossils. but I have collected 2x heavy goggles and scarf which I gave away to guild mates who wanted them, since I already have a set for each armor class.

in Living World

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

lucky here 10 chest one fossil found it in the quicksand ironicly

but i dont like those weapon and ja i wish they are tradeable

but then again didnt we all ask for things u cant just buy ?

in Living World

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This is more or less what i always expected when people start to write threads how much better everything in GW1 was, and that they want zone-specific stuff that you only get while farming one zone .. and how bad it is that you can buy everything for gold.

At least i had luck to find one insect at my first day before i had to buy keys for geodes, and so i grinded also the geodes to get the receipe for the axe.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Living World

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

And I find it kind of funny,
I find it kind of sad,
when people gather keys to open 100 over chests,
I find it hard to tell you,
I find it hard to take,
when players run in circles it’s a very very…
Guild Wars…
Guild Wars…
Enjoy your RNG…
Guild Wars…

Ok, after this absolutely necessary intro, I can be serious.
I completely agree with OP, those fossils need to be tradeable like the other two items, googles and scarf, and/or their acquisition should be way higher, since those are not items you ckittene for a profit, and are purely solo cosmetics.
Also, the Tier for getting weapons should be lowered, cause we all know that even if the area will be permanent, players will not always be. Right now t5 is still possible, but as soon as a new content is released, dry top will become more and more a “desert” (pun intended, now laugh!), until it will not be possible to get those weaps.
Last, but not least, RNG system should be revisited to better scale with your results, like Sytherek said, or completely put aside when it comes to contents like this.

in Living World

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

I surely hope they do not change the insane RNG in this map. With Dry Top I feel like Anet has finally nailed what they wanted to do, the events are fun, and there is a sense of progress when you’re working towards a weapon. The content is permanent aswell, so it has a replay value just because of these weapon skins. The question is, why do you farm 5 hours a day? Why do you rush getting the insect? Its not like they will dissapear, so you might aswell play dry top an hour a day untill you get your insect!

in Living World

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

I usually NEVER complain about RNG but this is bullkitten, I’m up to 120 opened buried chests myself and 0 FOSSILS. This is poor design in getting things that people work hard for. My guildie used under 10 lockpicks and got back to back fossils. I think I’m done with trying to get them. I wouldn’t care if they were REALLY hard to get but able to trade them on TP.

(edited by Brimstar.9036)

in Living World

Rainshine.5493

Why do you rush getting the insect? Its not like they will dissapear, so you might aswell play dry top an hour a day untill you get your insect!

Well, it makes sense to do this while the content is super popular. Events yield more geodes when you’re at a higher tier, and if you’re buying keys with geodes it’ll take a lot more effort to earn keys if the zone sits at tier 1 or 2 as opposed to 3 or 4.

in Living World

Posted by: Excell.1042

Excell.1042

Why do you rush getting the insect? Its not like they will dissapear, so you might aswell play dry top an hour a day untill you get your insect!

Well, it makes sense to do this while the content is super popular. Events yield more geodes when you’re at a higher tier, and if you’re buying keys with geodes it’ll take a lot more effort to earn keys if the zone sits at tier 1 or 2 as opposed to 3 or 4.

That depends wether or not it will remain active. I myself am at the moment commanding Dry Top every night for 2 hours, and so far i’ve gotten it into Tier 4 every time. However, as you stated.. maybe it will drop? We don’t know what will happen next patch, and if we’ll get another tier with new rewards or not. I guess it will depend on that (For example t6 loot bags, they could add 1 bag for 40 Geodes on Tier 6 Dry top)

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

got mine in the 7th chest, I had no idea how bad rng is for these O__O

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Rainshine.5493

got mine in the 7th chest, I had no idea how bad rng is for these O__O

Yeah I have bought zero keys and only done a few of the achievements. I got one right after they were added and assumed they were common. Thing is, I’m only mildly interested in the skin — I think they’re really well done, I’m just not sure if they match my characters’ colours n designs that well.

I’d love to be able to give it to someone who really wanted it.

in Living World

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

I’ve opened 2 chests and found one fossil. But I don’t care about that weapon skins. I would gladly sell mine…

in Living World

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

This content is permanent. I.E. it’s not going anywhere. So 5 years down the line, you can keep coming back to it. Burning yourself out by only doing these events over and over again is your own problem.

I only see one problem: the T4 requirement before you can get the skins. It’s already a rare occurrence now, during my play times to see that happening. So how often will it happen in 5 years?