Achievements tied to Winning and Losing

in Living World

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Anyone else wonder why we still have achievements tied to winning and losing of events? This occurred doing the Saidra’s Haven event, there were some screaming in chat and whispering others to either win and others to allow it to fail.

Did ArenaNet not learn this creates toxic interactions among players?

I can only say Bad Job on this one ArenaNet….

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

(edited by Lite Ning Strike.5203)

in Living World

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Just as bad as creating fail conditions are the people who are so obsessive about completing achievements ASAP that they actually get upset over the activities of other players. I blame them just as much as the poorly designed system.

The meta achievement is still easily completed thanks to all of the hidden achievements counting towards it. The angry entitled people who think “I deserve my achievements NOW NOW NOW and to heck with everyone else” need to stop and take a deep breath. They aren’t going anywhere. And to the people receiving the chat abuse…I say just laugh and ignore the crazy people.

Yes Anet created a bad system that makes it more difficult to achieve what we want. But it is the troubled minds of spoiled brats that actually turns it into a bad playing experience.

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Back in the day, I would map events, so I would go around intentionally failing each step of an event to see how it progressed. Eventually I came to point where I thought, there should be a bonus for seeing all of this, which most people will never know about. Back when people whined about failing events for legendaries, I personally had no problem failing those events in the prior year.

The only problem is the casuals that want everything right now. You want the town to fail? Join a zerg guild to create your own instance or grief a map by scaling it up and not participating. At the very least, hidden achievements for rarely seen content should exist, they just shouldn’t have achievement points.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I think achievements are added after the majority of the map is developed. That event could have been added along with it. They probably don’t have a final check in place to see whether any achievements require an event to have failed.

That said, if someone needs the defend event then I’d say that the map should defend the fort. I say this because in maybe a week, that event is going to fail more often than succeed once people abandon the map. Players can wait another week or so for the 1AP that can easily be gotten solo unlike the defend event with the horrible scaling.

in Living World

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Players can wait another week or so for the 1AP that can easily be gotten solo unlike the defend event with the horrible scaling.

That’s not true because in order to get the achievement you must finish a group event. And a group event that is REALLY hard on a level similar to the lumberyard and ship events where you need to break breakbars of some torch bearers before they reach the prisoners. It’s probably the hardest event to do in the entire zone and it’s available only ONCE per run or at least it has a very long cooldown.

So if you wait for the map to die, you will never get the achievement.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Players can wait another week or so for the 1AP that can easily be gotten solo unlike the defend event with the horrible scaling.

That’s not true because in order to get the achievement you must finish a group event. And a group event that is REALLY hard on a level similar to the lumberyard and ship events where you need to break breakbars of some torch bearers before they reach the prisoners. It’s probably the hardest event to do in the entire zone and it’s available only ONCE per run or at least it has a very long cooldown.

The one achievement to save the people from being burned at the stake doesn’t require a group. I did not see anything to indicate that it couldn’t be done solo. It was only 3 mobs from what I remember. I did it with a few other people and they went down very quickly.

Also as an FYI, I got the lumberyard achievement with one other person doing it. Scaling is a factor.

in Living World

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The one achievement to save the people from being burned at the stake doesn’t require a group. I did not see anything to indicate that it couldn’t be done solo. It was only 3 mobs from what I remember. I did it with a few other people and they went down very quickly.

Also as an FYI, I got the lumberyard achievement with one other person doing it. Scaling is a factor.

Good to know. So it’s probably a scaling issue because when I tried that event it was near impossible to break the breakbars

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Good to know. So it’s probably a scaling issue because when I tried that event it was near impossible to break the breakbars

Yeah. There’s something wrong with that entire map when it comes to scaling. Even the hearts seem off compared to other maps although this isn’t impacted by the number of people in the area.

in Living World

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

kinda like how originally during the assault on the Gates of Arah, you got more loot and a chest for doing the attack, but only a boss with no chest for defending it