Am I the only person who liked Seeds?

in Living World

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

The problem I’m having is that I can’t enjoy the story part when I’m then thrown into situations that are overly hard. I’m trying to do ‘No Refuge’ now and and I quite literally died after ‘maybe’ getting rid of 10% of the centaur forces.

I wish they would make the first go through, non-achievement mode, super easy and move the difficulty into the second pass when you are doing achievements.

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m so sick of the personal story and living story focusing on humans.

Personal Story: Humans
LS Season 1: Humans
LS Season 2: Humans

In all seriousness, if Traherne was a Norn then people would complain that the personal story was focusing on the Norn too much. If Scarlet was a Norn, they’d complain that season 1 was focusing on the Norn too much.

Uh, you’re out of your gourd. The central characters for all story in GW2 since launch have been Sylvari. Humans and other races have only been supporting cast. Central figure of PS was Trahearne, central figure of LS Season 1 was Scarlet, central figure of LS Season 2 now is Caithe.

Traherne was not introduced into the personal story until claw island unless you were Sylvari. Scarlet was the antagonist in season one but not revealed until the Crown Pavillion. Caithe did not come into season two until episode 6. This was where she had a more prominent role rather than simply being present.

My argument earlier was that just because one of the prominent characters happens to be of a certain race, doesn’t mean that the entire story revolves around that race.

In all 3 cases they are the dominant character in the story, no matter when they were introduced backstory reveals that it was always about them and they were the most important character in the story even if they weren’t overtly shown until later.

Yeah maybe you don’t meet Trahearne until later but his entire life has been about finding a way to cleanse Orr which becomes the main focus of the story once all the branches merge into the pact storyline.

Yeah maybe you don’t meet Scarlet until after the Queen’s Jubilee, but she was behind all the various alliances and havok being done all around the world for the past several months, even if she was never named she was shown to be responsible for everything like a bad (and I do mean bad) Scooby Doo villain.

Dominant? Really,,,? You’ve got to be kidding. All you’re trying to do is grasp at whatever fits with your belief that Sylvari have been the focal point in the entire game. You base your entire premise in that one of the prominent figures in each of the stories happens to be of a certain race.

Pretty much all of the LS has been about sylvari, though not necessarily a specific sylvari character.

Its not just those three that he mentioned. Lets also not forget that it was a SYLVARI that was the cause of the zephyrites crashing, and chasing after the lead zephyrite. Or that other Sylvari that caused problems on southsun.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m so sick of the personal story and living story focusing on humans.

Personal Story: Humans
LS Season 1: Humans
LS Season 2: Humans

In all seriousness, if Traherne was a Norn then people would complain that the personal story was focusing on the Norn too much. If Scarlet was a Norn, they’d complain that season 1 was focusing on the Norn too much.

Uh, you’re out of your gourd. The central characters for all story in GW2 since launch have been Sylvari. Humans and other races have only been supporting cast. Central figure of PS was Trahearne, central figure of LS Season 1 was Scarlet, central figure of LS Season 2 now is Caithe.

Traherne was not introduced into the personal story until claw island unless you were Sylvari. Scarlet was the antagonist in season one but not revealed until the Crown Pavillion. Caithe did not come into season two until episode 6. This was where she had a more prominent role rather than simply being present.

My argument earlier was that just because one of the prominent characters happens to be of a certain race, doesn’t mean that the entire story revolves around that race.

In all 3 cases they are the dominant character in the story, no matter when they were introduced backstory reveals that it was always about them and they were the most important character in the story even if they weren’t overtly shown until later.

Yeah maybe you don’t meet Trahearne until later but his entire life has been about finding a way to cleanse Orr which becomes the main focus of the story once all the branches merge into the pact storyline.

Yeah maybe you don’t meet Scarlet until after the Queen’s Jubilee, but she was behind all the various alliances and havok being done all around the world for the past several months, even if she was never named she was shown to be responsible for everything like a bad (and I do mean bad) Scooby Doo villain.

Dominant? Really,,,? You’ve got to be kidding. All you’re trying to do is grasp at whatever fits with your belief that Sylvari have been the focal point in the entire game. You base your entire premise in that one of the prominent figures in each of the stories happens to be of a certain race.

Pretty much all of the LS has been about sylvari, though not necessarily a specific sylvari character.

Its not just those three that he mentioned. Lets also not forget that it was a SYLVARI that was the cause of the zephyrites crashing, and chasing after the lead zephyrite. Or that other Sylvari that caused problems on southsun.

That’s season two and Sylvari haven’t been very prominent enough as of yet to overshadow the other races. Just because you had a couple prominent characters of a certain race in a story does not mean that race is what the story is all about. I must say that people are getting very creative in their ways to find things to complain about.

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Arena Nets writers are infatuated with Sylvari, Traherne was the main protagonist for the second part of the personal story. Season one of the Living Story was all about Scarlet. Most living story major roles are Sylvari Aerin, Cannach, Caithe, the Pale Tree, the list goes on. Everything seems to revolve around Sylvari and especially in regards to the current living story.

I have no idea why Arena Net focuses on them so much, they are liked by players but are by no means the fan favorite. Personally I would much rather see a story revolve around Tengu, Charr or Skritt. With luck once this Mordy story is done with we will move onto better stories involving more interesting races.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Yep. The rest of Destiny’s Edge, Destiny’s Edge 2.0, your character, the three factions, leadership across Tyria, Risen, and etc all took a backseat to the Sylvari.

Hey hey. The bad guy in TMNT was human so obviously the entire series an movies were about humans. One of the many enemies in Star Wars was Darth Vader so obviously the entire original trilogy was about him and people who dress in black.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Living World

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Yep. The rest of Destiny’s Edge, Destiny’s Edge 2.0, your character, the three factions, leadership across Tyria, Risen, and etc all took a backseat to the Sylvari.

Hey hey. The bad guy in TMNT was human so obviously the entire series an movies were about humans. One of the many enemies in Star Wars was Darth Vader so obviously the entire original trilogy was about him and people who dress in black.

That’s funny because according to George Lucas, The 6 Star Wars movies as we have seen so far ARE the saga of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. He is the central character of all 6 movies. He’s the “chosen one” after all.

If you ask random GW2 players what Season 1 of Living Story was about the top answer I’m betting will be “Scarlet”

People might differ on their answers on personal story, but the 4 top answers would be “You”, “Zhaitan”, “Trahearne” and “The Pact”

For Season 2 it’ll likely be “Mordremoth” “The Pale Tree” and “Caithe”

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

That’s funny because according to George Lucas, The 6 Star Wars movies as we have seen so far ARE the saga of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. He is the central character of all 6 movies. He’s the “chosen one” after all.

If you ask random GW2 players what Season 1 of Living Story was about the top answer I’m betting will be “Scarlet”

People might differ on their answers on personal story, but the 4 top answers would be “You”, “Zhaitan”, “Trahearne” and “The Pact”

For Season 2 it’ll likely be “Mordremoth” “The Pale Tree” and “Caithe”

Probably a bad example as I don’t count the prequels as part of Star Wars. Kind of like how the 4th Indiana Jones doesn’t exist to me.

It’s difficult for me to think of fictional examples. I can easily name real life ones but they run the risk of coming off as offensive if taken the wrong way which they likely would be as someone would go there.

In the personal story, Traherne had such a minor role. He did almost nothing while the player did most of the work. His only accomplishment was a figurehead position as the Pact leader and cleansing Orr. He was useless other than that.

Season 1, Scarlet had relatively minimal presence. For most of the season, she was just in the background. Season 2 is understands as we’re getting more into the dragon and it’s impact on the Silvari. I do disagree that it’s all about Caithe.

What disturbs me is how people will say an entire story/season is based on a race because one prominent character is of that race. Do people use that same logic in real life? Maybe everyone making complaints in the news have a point and are on to something? One prominent character being of a certain race does not mean that the everything is about them.

in Living World

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I like it fine so far.

I can understand the complaints about Sylvari and Asura taking over, though. We should get some more Charr storylines.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I like it fine so far.

I can understand the complaints about Sylvari and Asura taking over, though. We should get some more Charr storylines.

We probably will with Rytlock.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I like it fine so far.

I’m worried that he’s been “put on a bus”.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I like it fine so far.

I’m worried that he’s been “put on a bus”.

Better than under the bus.

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

Your headcanon does not matter.

Look, had Season 2 been the ONLY major story that was Sylvari focused because of Mordremoth, I wouldn’t be sick of them.

Scarlet is the main problem, even though she’s gone we spent too much time on her which meant that we go from a Sylvari focused second half of the PS, due to Trahearne leading the Pact and his Wild Hunt, to a Sylvari focused Season 1 of LS because the most central character is Scarlet, to a Sylvari focused Season 2 because of Mordremoth and the connections to the Pale Tree and Sylvari race.

Had Scarlet not been Sylvari, it would have been fine, both stories would just make sense and it wouldn’t seem like too much favoritism of the race by the writing staff.

If Scarlet had been Asura, leader of the Inquest after Kudu, using findings from Thaumanova and the Infinity Coil on Dragon magic to control the minds of the various factions of those unlikely alliances between very xenophobic groups (instead of Scarlet supposedly convincing the most xenophobic groups in Tyria to work together through threats or whatever, it’d make more sense had they been mind controlled by dragon magic), had the motivations for tapping into the leylines been to harvest dragon energy to control everyone in the world but waking up the dragon was n accident..

I wouldn’t be sick of Sylvari, things would have made more sense

If Scarlet would have been Human, a leader of the White Mantle, trying to undermine the Queen’s Jubilee would have made WAY more sense, and instead of various Xenophobic groups it would have been mostly white mantle, later revealed to be led by Lazarus the Dire. There could have been a resurgence of Mursaat or maybe he was the last of the Unseen Ones, either way he has reason to want revenge against Humans, Humans and Asura I suppose.

If that’d been the case, I wouldn’t be sick of Sylvari, and things would have made sense.

But no, Scarlet was Sylvari, and the most Mary Sue character you could imagine. I mean she made Genies blush with the amount of Wish Fulfillment she was doing for some writer on the team. She was just badly written in every way, she didn’t even have any motives, just “she’s cRaZy tee-hee! Later taters!”

She didn’t need to be Sylvari, but she was, which makes the first 3 major story arcs of GW2 into Sylvarifests.

I mean, I get that the writers like Sylvari, a lot, but can they put down their pet race for a bit and realize there’s many other races that haven’t gotten center stage yet? No the player character being a race other than Sylvari does not really count, because that’s not the canon hero. When GW3 is made, Zhaitan will be brought down by Trahearne and his pact, united with Destiny’s Edge, just like Kormir brought down Abaddon. It’s necessary because “nameless heroes” is just tacky.

in Living World

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Traherne being Sylvari could have been changed maybe. The Wild Hunt gave Anet an easy out storytelling wise. It reinforces the lore for the new race that each one has a personal mission, but it could have been reinforced in a different way, especially since they (I presume) knew the coming PS would be Sylvari heavy. You can deny that Traherne was a central figure in the PS, but it was a running joke that he was the hero of the PS while you tagged along. It’s not just a few people that feel that way. He was a main hero, I don’t think it’s reasonable to say he wasn’t.

Changing Scarlet into another race doesn’t work as well. If this is heading where I think it is, it’s important that she was Sylvari and will reinforce the continuity of the story as a whole. If we just jump from focus to focus each season, then we’d be getting complaints that Anet didn’t develop the story enough and it was shallow and disconnected.

I have patience and faith. Rytlock is surely setting up the next focus for the LS, so that reassures me that they have a long term plan. As long as the story is good – and on the whole it is – I don’t care that the Sylvari have been featured more often than not. The others will get their turn and I plan to be around long-term to see it play out.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

~snip~

Nope. For reasons stated previously. All you’re doing is saying everything is about a certain race because one of the prominent characters happen to be of that race in each story. You do realize that there are other races, right? Please get past looking at just race.

in Living World

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Charr, Norn, and Asura almost never get a chance to shine in story. They’re only ever supporting characters.

All three already have a rich history with Guild Wars 1 and in between both games. Sylvari, on the other hand, being a very young race, doesn’t have much of its story explored prior to GW2.

in Living World

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

I liked it, I just don’t feel like it advanced the overall story that much and now we have another break… =\

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

in Living World

Devildoc.6721

Traherne being Sylvari could have been changed maybe. The Wild Hunt gave Anet an easy out storytelling wise. It reinforces the lore for the new race that each one has a personal mission, but it could have been reinforced in a different way, especially since they (I presume) knew the coming PS would be Sylvari heavy. You can deny that Traherne was a central figure in the PS, but it was a running joke that he was the hero of the PS while you tagged along. It’s not just a few people that feel that way. He was a main hero, I don’t think it’s reasonable to say he wasn’t.

Changing Scarlet into another race doesn’t work as well. If this is heading where I think it is, it’s important that she was Sylvari and will reinforce the continuity of the story as a whole. If we just jump from focus to focus each season, then we’d be getting complaints that Anet didn’t develop the story enough and it was shallow and disconnected.

I have patience and faith. Rytlock is surely setting up the next focus for the LS, so that reassures me that they have a long term plan. As long as the story is good – and on the whole it is – I don’t care that the Sylvari have been featured more often than not. The others will get their turn and I plan to be around long-term to see it play out.

I don’t see how Scarlet had to be Sylvari at all.

as for the extremely insistant person who is just plain wrong.. yes the other races are there, but as supporting cast only. The story arcs place Sylvari above the rest in importance.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t see how Scarlet had to be Sylvari at all.

as for the extremely insistant person who is just plain wrong.. yes the other races are there, but as supporting cast only. The story arcs place Sylvari above the rest in importance.

Only in season two as the dragon can have influence over them. This is the only time that race has had more of a focus on over others.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Living World

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Devildoc – if Scarlet being Sylvari does turn out to be relevant, how would you feel about Season 1 then? Even if you can’t see why, there are many theories and speculations as to her motives that are directly linked to her race. I think they make sense.

Ayrilana – I don’t think people are literally saying that the stories are revolving around Sylvari. (well, S2 you can make a case). I’m reading it as prominent figures in PS and S1 all seem to by Sylvari at the expense of seeing other races playing big roles. Yes, we see other races in key supporting roles, but the big arcs have Sylvari at their center. Even Canach is making a reappearance again. It fuels the perception of them being over-represented at the expense of others.