An LS event that no one knows about

in Living World

Posted by: BigMoser.8790

BigMoser.8790

Would you guys like it if there was a LS content where they didn’t give you any information beforehand?

Just a big “?”, like something is going to go down but no one knows what. The things that they would update might be put on the page, like things they discussed during the blog for the second half of the year.

So secret and evil that even Dulfy wouldn’t get a preview look (meaning not allowed to test it out)

This thread is sooooooooooo Random, so just throwing it out there.

in Living World

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I’d love that. I love discovery in games. I try not to read too much before the next LS comes out.

in Living World

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

Would you guys like it if there was a LS content where they didn’t give you any information beforehand?

Just a big “?”, like something is going to go down but no one knows what. The things that they would update might be put on the page, like things they discussed during the blog for the second half of the year.

So secret and evil that even Dulfy wouldn’t get a preview look (meaning not allowed to test it out)

This thread is sooooooooooo Random, so just throwing it out there.

I think it’d be neat to have a whole release where it’s all about discovering this completing brand new area and exploring it (like adding a massive underground cave system), but they’d need to make sure their systems were in place in-game to provide guidance.

FYI, as far as I know Dulfy getting a preview look was really only happening for a couple releases (Sky Pirates and Bazaar). All the other times she’d get in at release and gather the info quickly and/or other players would be sending her info.

in Living World

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

I’d like it if they were sneaking in secret content during all the releases without telling us. A very well-hidden jumping puzzle here, a new mini game there, some new areas that can only be reached by secret passageways or portals; all waiting to be discovered someday by some lucky adventurer.

How cool would it be to find such a place, only to have the devs go “Pfft, thats been there for the past half year….”

in Living World

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Not if any part of it was temporary content. “Secret” and “limited time” would really would annoy me greatly.

But if they put in something secret that you could play through no matter when you became aware of it, sure, that’d be kinda fun.

in Living World

BigMoser.8790

Not if any part of it was temporary content. “Secret” and “limited time” would really would annoy me greatly.

But if they put in something secret that you could play through no matter when you became aware of it, sure, that’d be kinda fun.

I did forget to mention that it should be permanent content

in Living World

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I did forget to mention that it should be permanent content

Then yeah, that would be kinda like finding a cool Easter egg. Someone would stumble upon it, and then word of it would start spreading through the community like wildfire.

Beautiful, cleansing, wildfire from the heavens that smites your enemies and turns them into piles of ash and bone, purifying their wicked…

Oh. Sorry. I got distracted. Fire is pretty.

in Living World

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Actually, if they were to continue the elder dragons’ stories they could use something like this. Perhaps mobs show up somewhere, or the environment starts to change at certain zones with no information on the wiki or an official announcement. That would actually be able to get people excited and even search for more places where things are changing. The idea of actually having a living world like that would be pretty awesome in my opinion. The changes can start subtle, like perhaps a few boulders that came down a hill, then a week later a cave opening up or something.

(edited by Lethalvriend.1723)

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Navigating the Living Story when they do announce stuff is already hard enough for people paying attention, not even saying something about it sounds like a disaster.

There are already minor things happening behind the scenes if you check in at the Hatchery, Craigstead or the Dead End tavern. Rox, Braham, Kasmeer and Marjory all have very minor changes in their dialogue. Honestly, a lot of people almost completely missed the story in the Secret to Southsun and many players won’t ever see the changes in the Living Story “home instances” for the main characters, we don’t need more stuff people are going to miss out on.

in Living World

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

The way this can be done would not be a traditional living story we see now, it would be about introducing lore and it could be done on a large scale to get players involved in searching around the world. However, it should be spread over quite some time for people to catch on and let word of mouth do it’s thing. Especially if it is done in many different stages there will be people that find out about to get the word to spread. I’ve played some other games that used this and it was quite a way to make some hype. The actual event would then still be announced though, but only after the initial signs have already happened.

in Living World

BigMoser.8790

As I’ve said before, random thought. I did not think it through to the point of being a disaster, but I do feel if done wrong it would be an epic disaster. I do agree with your points there Shiren. I also agree with Lethalvriend in the sense of word of mouth, and spreading like wildfire.

My vision is that the update page would kind of be blank with an ominous feel to it, maybe with a piece of dark artwork to gaze at and wonder what’s coming. They could put out a trailer for the new patch, much the same dark ominous atmosphere with panning around certain areas…. dead feeling… eerie quietness… but somehow it would give you hints at where the video is focusing on, thus getting people to go to those areas shown and figure out what the problem is. Something’s coming… (and without warning from any devs, they start events all around Tyria of an invasion of some sort. starts out small for a week, and each week afterwards the problem would start to get out of hand…..)

I’m going to stop now… its starting to scare me….

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If the whole point of the secret event is that it is possible to miss the event, then that will make anyone who does miss it furious. If the secret event is not very secret and everyone will eventually find it then why make it a secret at all? Also, any content that drives players to look for spoilers on the internet is poor by design.