Ascalonian curse broken?

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

On the latest trailer! What does this mean?!
http://youtu.be/JDpzAUWmklA

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

pretty cool. I think they finally got the story writing down.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

What on Tyria was that?! Rytlock? Ascalon’s Curse? ANET is reaaaaally shaking things up now!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

okay, i haven’t logged in in over a month and that’s going to bring me back. been waiting for this story ‘arc’ for more than a year.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Rytlock using his Sohothin to start same process, except to stop the ascalonian ghosts…

Hopefully doesn’t result another foefire and we’d have relentless Charr Ghosts along with Ascalonian Ghosts at each other’s throats, including ours… :P

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Charr are going to become an enemy and team up with Norn.

Race vs Race pvp, on new pve open to pvp maps.

Since there is a race imbalance, this opens up a new race who will join the bad guys (Charr).

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I’m guessing every new Charr player after this update might have new story beginning…

If the ghosts are removed that is…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wasn’t that Wayfarer Hills? Rytlock in the Plains of Ashford? I didn’t think any starter zones would be involved….

Rox and Rytlock? Braham and Eir? Taimi and….gosh, I don’t know who that was!

I am excited to see where things are going and what happens next!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Charr FTW

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

I’m guessing every new Charr player after this update might have new story beginning…

No they won’t. Every new player’s personal story starts in a time before the events of season 1, i.e, in a time where the ghosts still exist.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Bye, bye AC dungeon…

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

That’s exactly why i doubt the ghosts will ever be removed.

Too many story lines, dialogues, heart quests and whatnot mentioning ghosts. It would require a huge effort to rewrite all of these.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Being released from the curse and letting go of grudges aren’t the same thing. That being said, what it might mean is that while story AC stays the same (as it happens in the past), there might be 3 new paths coming for AC explore, which could be fairly neat.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Ghosts will only go away within the living story if the speculation turns out to be true and happens. Everything else will remain the same. Zhaitan died, and the corruption lifted, but you still see risen all over the place.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Aycee.9162

Aycee.9162

If they do add new paths to AC I really hope they don’t remove the old ones.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Fuin.8361

Fuin.8361

What will this have to do with Mordremoth?
I’m curious!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’m curious!

Well at about :15 seconds, you can see Mordy tendrils (the big thick kind) in the background of an Ascalon area (can’t place the area off the top of my head).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

If they do add new paths to AC I really hope they don’t remove the old ones.

I’d be kind of dumb if they do. Aside from Kholer and Grast, you don’t really encounter ghosts in explorable mode.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Bye, bye AC dungeon…

More like HELLO AC path 4!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s possible he’s pulling an aragorn here.
Just use the ghost army on promise you’ll free them after.
Of course, i’m not sure the ascalon ghost army is lucid enough to understand their situation. They always seem to be stuck in time, unable to understand that the living aren’t their ancient Charr enemies.

He obviously wouldn’t be doing it just to be a cool guy, should be interesting to see what leads up to this.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

What on Tyria was that?! Rytlock? Ascalon’s Curse? ANET is reaaaaally shaking things up now!

I literally cursed when I saw that. Hope no one heard me.

Maybe they’ll do an Orr, where it’s technically cleansed but not really cleansed… Still this would be a massive overhaul if all the ghost just magically disappear.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

watch it fail horribly because a charr is doing it.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’m curious!

Well at about :15 seconds, you can see Mordy tendrils (the big thick kind) in the background of an Ascalon area (can’t place the area off the top of my head).

That was Iron Marches from what I could tell.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

I find it very interesting that the story is going all over the place. This could make for a very interesting season, where it all comes together in the end, or a very interesting but convoluted. But we’re seeing Destiny’s Edge, at least Eir and Rytlock.

For Eir’s part, I’m thinking they’re hinting that Jormag might be next. That Braham may be the one to break the tooth at the Finale or early in Season 3 if not in the coming episodes.

Although I can’t imagine how alliances may be broken. The Foefire was always destined to be cleansed when the twin of the same sword that caused Ascalon to be cursed, would be used to reverse it. This story was old, but I wonder what significance this holds.

(edited by Ronin.7381)

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Ronin.7381

Yeah, upon a closer inspection that does look like to be Plains, Daessa, or Iron. However… those aren’t thorns. Those are motha-flippin roots. Big ones.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Ronin.7381

For Eir’s part, I’m thinking they’re hinting that Jormag might be next. That Braham may be the one to break the tooth at the Finale or early in Season 3 if not in the coming episodes.

Bah! That’s right, Eir took Alderburn’s Magdaer sword. Hence her presence in the episode. Though they show a hint of what looks like Frostgorge Sound in the upper North West Corner, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe she hid it away for safe keeping or it was stolen, I wonder – unless if Eir is actively patrolling those parts, we find her, bring her back to Hoelbrak, and she reunites with Braham.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

Bah! That’s right, Eir took Alderburn’s Magdaer sword. Hence her presence in the episode. Though they show a hint of what looks like Frostgorge Sound in the upper North West Corner, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe she hid it away for safe keeping or it was stolen, I wonder – unless if Eir is actively patrolling those parts, we find her, bring her back to Hoelbrak, and she reunites with Braham.

I thought she went home after the Zhaitan fight? Last I remember seeing her she was hanging out in heolbrak trying to deal with the refugee problem. Did she go off on an adventure after? I assumed she’d be there carving statues and whining about her old lady problems.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Charr are going to become an enemy and team up with Norn.

Race vs Race pvp, on new pve open to pvp maps.

Since there is a race imbalance, this opens up a new race who will join the bad guys (Charr).

Charr, Norn, Asura vs Sylvari, Human, and Tengu!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Celestina.2894

Yeah, upon a closer inspection that does look like to be Plains, Daessa, or Iron. However… those aren’t thorns. Those are motha-flippin roots. Big ones.

Indeed, those aren’t just “probing” vines, those are straight up territory markers.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

My thirs thought was ‘I thought it was supposed to be a descendant of Doric that was supposed to lift the curse’ Then I realised it was a Charr doing it and of course it was going to be a member of the mary sue race . Can’t have humans doing anything in this game, not sure why they even have them in the game.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Celestina.2894

My thirs thought was ‘I thought it was supposed to be a descendant of Doric that was supposed to lift the curse’ Then I realised it was a Charr doing it and of course it was going to be a member of the mary sue race . Can’t have humans doing anything in this game, not sure why they even have them in the game.

Wait

I thought the Mary Sue race was sylvari?

Or was it asura?

OH OH OH OH IS NORN NEXT THEN!?

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

History is incorrect! Doric was a Charr!

Attachments:

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

- A great evil noone has seen since forever is getting stronger and with his power spreads his threat all over the world.
- This great evil send out his minions to cast fear and destruction all over the place.
- A fellowship.
- Freeing a big bunch of trapped ghosts.

Am I the only one who is curious what will be the one ring and where we will find mount doom in GW2?

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

- A great evil noone has seen since forever is getting stronger and with his power spreads his threat all over the world.
- This great evil send out his minions to cast fear and destruction all over the place.
- A fellowship.
- Freeing a big bunch of trapped ghosts.

Am I the only one who is curious what will be the one ring and where we will find mount doom in GW2?

Release of Legendary Jewelry confirmed!

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

May turn out to be very interesting, especially seeing since Ascalon was Charr territory originally…

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

Too many story lines, dialogues, heart quests and whatnot mentioning ghosts. It would require a huge effort to rewrite all of these.

That’s exactly why I doubt they will destroy LA for good.
Too many storylines, dialogues, vistas, not to mention NPCs. It would require a huge effort to rewrite all of those.

… OH WAIT. They did.
See my point?
Above that, old LA still works when you run through your personal story there. Which is, canonically, 2 years ago.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Maybe Rytlock is trying to cause another Foefire? Turn Ebonhawke into a nice southern bulwark against Krakattorik!

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe they kill off one of the Destiny Edge members this season.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

That’s exactly why I doubt they will destroy LA for good.
Too many storylines, dialogues, vistas, not to mention NPCs. It would require a huge effort to rewrite all of those.

… OH WAIT. They did.
See my point?
Above that, old LA still works when you run through your personal story there. Which is, canonically, 2 years ago.

Actually, the personal story instances use new LA now. This is due to some issues they’re still trying to rework for replaying instances that take place in world zones, as currently the game just clones the existing map for them. This is also why prosperity is covered in vines for the LS2-1 episode now, despite having been vine-free at release.

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

What if… the Foefire didn’t actually killed the Ascalonians… Sure, the Foefire might have made them into spirits, cursed them to endlessly walk ’’their’’ lands to protect it and attack any intruder, until the curse is broken…

That said… If the curse is broken, what if the current ’’ghosts’’ of Ascalon turns back from spirits to human beings with flesh. They got cursed, and the time stopped for them, now with the curse broken, they are back.

King Adelbern, Barradin, and all the others.

IF- IF this would happen, would the locket that shows the true heir of Kryta show Barradin suddenly? Well, probably not because he’s not Krytan blood and kitten.

I’m just brainstorming without knowing the lore, really.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

Who says it has to be a human? I’m rooting for one of the Skritt to be ruler of Kryta and all of the shinies.

Edit: In all seriousness, the wiki says she is one of two possible heirs for that throne.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Ghosts will only go away within the living story if the speculation turns out to be true and happens. Everything else will remain the same. Zhaitan died, and the corruption lifted, but you still see risen all over the place.

That’s different. The risen weren’t being kept alive by a curse or anything. Once the curse is lifted, every ascalonian ghost goes poof.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

And here I was thinking yesterday that it’s kind of sad that the Charr were not really involved in this LS… then Anet comes along and throws lore-happyness straight into my face. \o/

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I thought the curse had to be broken by the heir to the Ascalonian throne? If Rytlock could do it with Sohothin, then why the hell didn’t he do it before?

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

That’s different. The risen weren’t being kept alive by a curse or anything. Once the curse is lifted, every ascalonian ghost goes poof.

They’re not going to eliminate an entire set of enemies for the living story which will affect everything within that region.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

I’m curious!

There’s actually a clue to this already. There’s one in Lornar’s Pass, at Lost Delver’s Ridge.

Now, I haven’t done map exploration in a long time (which is why I was there), but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t there before. Plus, it looks identical to the one on the Dry Top Waypoint. There is definitely something that’s going to happen in Lornar’s Pass.

Attachments:

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

inb4 logan runs away

Hoopa doopa.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Either the human proclamation (a rumor more than a legend) is wrong, or the ritual will fail, or both.

In all honesty, who’d expect it to succeed? ArenaNet would have to, with the next update, alter hundreds of hearts and thousands of events over 6 zones. They said after Tower of Nightmares that it pushed them to their limits in what they could get done in a month’s time with all the new models, new events, and changed heart mechanics. I don’t expect the Foefire to be ended.

My best bet is that the ritual will backfire and Rytlock will be killed. Reason being is that the VAs for Destiny’s Edge are hard to come by – the entire point of bringing in the biconics – so I wouldn’t be surprised if they kill the harder-to-get-VAs-for DE off one by one. Which likely means Zojja’s going to kick the bucket once any need for her off-screen is done (y’know, being the guardian of Taimi and all), and I could see Steve Blum and Nolan North as hard to get.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

They’re not going to eliminate an entire set of enemies for the living story which will affect everything within that region.

That’s a bad defense when we still have a destroyed Lion’s Arch.

There’s no reason they may not be doing things that permanently affect the game world. Ghosts can be replaced by whatever Mordremoth’s minions are.

Ascalonian curse broken?

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I find it refreshing to have no clue what effects are entailed by this.

Are the ghosts of Ascalon finally going away? Does it even work? Does it change the open world? Maybe.

I wasn’t expecting something else to happen during the Mordremoth arc. Compared to season 1, it’s like a completely different company is doing this.