Bring back LS S1 content as guild challenges

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

In a couple of weeks, it will have been FOUR YEARS since the last new PVE guild missions were added to the game. It is way past time to revitalize this (imo) core feature of the game, and here is my suggestion for doing so -

Bring back key events from living world season one as instanced guild challenges, starting with the Marionette, the Breachmaker, the Fall (and retaking of) LA), the Ancient Karka and Clockwork Chaos.

All of this content was originally designed with scaling populations in mind, something that still exists in the guild challenge system (they would probably need to balance them for smaller guilds, however).

Furthermore the instancing system used with guild challenges means the content can exist separate from the open game world – preserving the continuity of the current story.

I know it would require work, but given the interest in bringing back some of that content, the need to revitalize guild missions and the shear fun this represents, it seems like a good direction to go, imo.

in Living World

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

If Living World Season 1 were to return in instanced content, I see no reason why it should be behind the barrier of guild missions. The content should at least have the capability of being soloed while offering scaling for an increasing number of players, and not just those missions, but also offering the other story stuff too, like the investigation of Mai Trin, the creation of the anti toxin, the introduction of the members of Dragon’s watch and the Canach stuff too. There’s a lot of good info and story from season 1 that I want to experience as a solo player. Also, considering that the story stuff is essential to understanding what the hell season 2 is about, it makes more sense to have it as soloable content than guild mission style.

in Living World

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

You can also watch my 3hour and 20min video of Living World Season 1 Story that includes all the story cut scenes, Lore Narration and gameplay dialogues in a full coherent movie format. Check it out here if you havn’t already:

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Also, considering that the story stuff is essential to understanding what the hell season 2 is about, it makes more sense to have it as soloable content than guild mission style.

They haven’t brought back season 1 in the personal story format because it basically comes down to having a new season or an old one. Chances are they’ll never bring it back. If they were going to, it should have been done with HoT, before people were welcomed back to a broken story.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m all in favor of new guild missions. I loved many of the LS1 metas. I do not, however, think it’s best for ANet to force themselves into trying to bring back old battles.

First, remember that part of what made LS1 so epic was that it was transitory — we only had a few weeks to figure out how the battle worked, developed strategies for victory, and explain to a map full of PUGs the tactics for making it work. None of that is going to be true for Guild Missions; they have to last for, well years.

Second, everything looks better (or worse) in hindsight. Some of the LS1 events had some frustratingly terrible mechanics. Obviously ANet can do better if they bring them back. However, maybe they can do better still by starting from scratch. In essence, the Silverwastes final meta is the Marionette fight, re-imagined; it’s a lot better (in most ways).

tl;dr more guild missions, yes please — it’s long over due. However, imo, I’d prefer that ANet not worry about old content when developing them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

As long as they add more content to guild missions, I’ll support.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Living World

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Also, considering that the story stuff is essential to understanding what the hell season 2 is about, it makes more sense to have it as soloable content than guild mission style.

They haven’t brought back season 1 in the personal story format because it basically comes down to having a new season or an old one. Chances are they’ll never bring it back. If they were going to, it should have been done with HoT, before people were welcomed back to a broken story.

Seeing what was pushed out with HoT release, it seems like they couldn’t have even if they wanted to. Also they HAVE mentioned they want to bring back season 1

From barefootmatthew

To my knowledge this is still something that we’ve kept on our backlog as there are plenty of devs who also want to see us make such an investment someday. As some have pointed out, we haven’t said no to this, but it hasn’t yet risen to the top of our priority list given our other releases and plans for Guild Wars 2.

coming from this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5dk50e/the_return_of_living_world_season_1_is_important/

However, it is very important to note that not only did barefootmatthew (who I only partially quoted above) basically laid out some of the understanding of how difficult it would be, but Bobbystein also contribued to the discussion about how they would change some narrative things as well if it ever happened.

So yeah, it may happen at some point. But season 1 should not be behind an arbitrary wall called ‘guild missions’ when it’s important to the plot and should be accessible to solo players. That’s basically the point of my post.

Also Thank you DreamyAbaddon! I actually did watch your video and it as very enlightening, but players should not have to rely on youtube videos to know what’s going on.

in Living World

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

having the keybevents from s1 translated to gmissions would be a great idea i support dis

in Living World

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yea these team fights would make a good guild mission addition.

Would have to get the solo stuff in there bettwen somehow to not cut up the story to bad tho.