Buying Living world Episodes!!

in Living World

Posted by: MeSako.6082

MeSako.6082

I played this game since Beta, got tired of it about a year ago, but knew that since I payed for it and knew that I have access to all content (as promised) I wouldn’t miss anything if I ever came back..

Now I have come back, and I remember how great the game really are, and wanted to tackle the new story line.. but whats this? I have to pay to play those!! Really? Just because I did not play when they launched? I am deeply disappointed. What happened to having access to everything with that one time payment? Why do I have to pay now all of a sudden?

I get that you have to make money some way, but leave that at cosmetics and boosters.. not mayor content upgrades!!

PS. I’ll probably buy the chapters I missed, but I’m not to happy about that..
And no, I don’t have gold to change for Gems, since gems are ridiculously expensive that way, at least for me that only play casually.

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lwd/Paying-for-past-content

it was a few pages back.

Know this though:
You can play through the story with someone else who has it already unlocked to get the story.

The only reason to pay to unlock the episodes is to get the achievements and rewards for completing it. The first segments of season 2 gave us Mawdrey and Mawdrey II (ascended backpiece and item that “eats” bloodstone dust). The latest segments have given us the carapace armor collections and bioluminescent armor. Each of the story challenge achievements have given us ascended rings/amulets in one of the new stat combos. For me, I would unlock the episodes, and from here on out you will just need to log in once during the two week release to unlock the future episodes for free.

in Living World

Posted by: ViralVarda.2739

ViralVarda.2739

It’s 200 gems which is 23g currently. That’s a tad over a full easy dungeon run. You said yourself they need to make money.

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You had access to everything in the game at release with that one-time payment. They continued to give more content for free, which they had no contractual obligation to do, but were expected to do by everybody, because it’s an MMO.

I don’t agree 100% with their decision to make you pay for episodes that you missed, but that’s exactly what online TV services do, so what’s the big deal? You got what you paid for and more.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Living World

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Do you complain because can’t access everything you missed from past update or do you complain because for this season they give you a way to buy some of the past content?

Because all of season one is not available if you were not there when they were launch. Are you complaining about that? Festivals are still limited in time so if you miss them (like winterdays now), you won’t be able to access it. Are you complaining about that too?

Just making sure, because buying the past update is an additional option that you have compare to having no option at all to experience every free update you missed.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Living World

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

Also, as a former player now returning, you should have been getting the guild wars emails. They say specifically to log in and unlock the episode for free. My husband logs in to unlock it because he doesn’t have time to play now, but it takes five minutes to update the client and log into a character once every two weeks for the unlock.

I’m sorry you’re mad about paying for past content, but there were other options you didn’t take advantage of at the time. Luckily after the unlock all the items and achievements are permanent content, unlike season one items. It’s a nice change.

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

All they promised us is that we would always have access to the original content without paying extra – in other words that they wouldn’t be any type of subscription fee.

They never said all future content would be free. They’ve chosen to charge for some parts of the living story releases, and if they ever release an expansion or another campaign I assume they’ll charge for that too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: MeSako.6082

MeSako.6082

I did not read any GW2 emails, why, because I had no interest in GW2. Silly, right? Since everyone reads about everything they are not into right now.. .. ..

And no, I’m not mad about missing seasonal stuff, I knew about that, since that is self explanatory.
It’s the Living story chapters, I bought this game instead of any of it’s competitors since I knew that I could come back to it and not miss anything, they even said that to begin with, pay now, get every update for free.. and now they changed that.
I’s not really a big deal, it’s just disappointing.. Knowing that I could come back now to catch up on everything and get the “nope, pay up if you want this” when we were promised that we should not have to pay for future content (counting from the moment of purchase). That is how I interpreted their sell tactics anyway..

in Living World

Posted by: xvalkyrie.6742

xvalkyrie.6742

Well, then you should be considering the season two chapters you missed as if they were season one chapters: if a person were not around for the living world season one, they will never get to experience the story and gameplay, they’d only get to read summaries online or watch youtube videos fans have made. Since you did not get interested in GW2 again until recently, you missed the season two chapters and were they set up like the season one, would not get to experience them at all. But with the change they are now new permanent content, based on player feedback from the first season where we asked them to add it to our character’s story tab.

Because it’s additional, not required, content, it’s behind a pay unlock, should the account not have logged on to unlock it for free. It kind of is an expansion, in that manner. The things that people can grind for, such as the new stat sets, nomad and sinister, are tied to the new zones, dry top and silverwastes, so they aren’t behind a pay wall. The exception being the season two chapter items like Mawdrey backpiece and the ascended accessories for completing the chapter two achievements. (Though now, some of those accessories are even on the silverwastes vendor for badges, I haven’t checked dry top vendors to see if the nomad items were added for geodes to those vendors yet)

Anet didn’t lie to you, you’re just trying to justify being disappointed you missed out on unlocking content for free. /shrug Nothing you can do about it now other than pay for the unlocks, or not play the story on your account (someone already mentioned you can party up with someone else and run through the story on their account to see the story), or treat it like season one, and a missed opportunity.

I hope you will log in in January and unlock the next season chapters, so even if you decide not to play for a while, when you want to come back you’ll have the content available to you at your leisure.

For what it’s worth, I get not reading some emails, but I tend to read most emails, even stuff from WoW which I haven’t played in years. Especially when the title of the GW2 emails for the living world all say “Log in Today:” and say the chapter details. The very first email for season 2 sent on July 1st said:

“While Living World and Journal content is only playable for level 80 characters, you can unlock permanent access to this content by simply logging in while the release is live – no matter what level your characters are! Log in today to unlock the Gates of Maguuma story content in your Journal!”

GW2 still has no subscription fee, and while they catch a lot of crap for the gem store, it’s all cosmetic, there’s nothing you ever need to buy. Not many games can say that, in the age of the “season pass” and paid DLCs.

Valkyrie – [RMPG] Blackgate
Altaholic, can never have just one!

in Living World

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

You have gained a lot of content that you don’t need to pay extra for. It’s only the ability to launch season 2 storyline instances (and get the rewards from them) that are available for purchase if you missed out on getting them for free. You can still actually play the storyline instances if a friend has them unlocked, and the new maps, TA dungeon path, Fractals dungeon, additional Grandmaster Traits, healing skills, collections and other UI systems etc that have been added since launch are available to you without needing to purchase the storyline content.

Also, they didn’t actually ever promise that everything would always be free, that’s an assumption your making based on GW1 and the fact that they have been releasing free content. GW1 the box specifically stated that promise, but GW2 doesn’t. Actually if you read the agreement that you accept when first logging into the client (you know the thing that most people just ignore), they specifically maintained the rights to switch to a subscription-based service in the future. That said, I don’t think they’ll ever actually do that, but they ‘could’.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Also, they didn’t actually ever promise that everything would always be free, that’s an assumption your making based on GW1 and the fact that they have been releasing free content. GW1 the box specifically stated that promise, but GW2 doesn’t. Actually if you read the agreement that you accept when first logging into the client (you know the thing that most people just ignore), they specifically maintained the rights to switch to a subscription-based service in the future. That said, I don’t think they’ll ever actually do that, but they ‘could’.

GW1 promised that all future content would be free after the initial purchase?

So why on earth did I buy Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North separately? Why weren’t they free downloads, since I bought Prophecies? And most importantly how do I go about getting back the money I paid (apparently incorrectly)?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

GW1 promised that all future content would be free after the initial purchase?

So why on earth did I buy Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North separately? Why weren’t they free downloads, since I bought Prophecies? And most importantly how do I go about getting back the money I paid (apparently incorrectly)?

You know what I’m saying, don’t pretend you don’t. There’s no need to add bolded words that I didn’t say and claim that I did. Anyone with a GW1 box knows exactly which ‘promise’ I’m referring to.

GW1 promised no monthly fee on the box, (i.e. you will never have to pay a subscription). The point however, is that GW2 makes no promises whatsoever, anything we get free is not an ‘entitlement’ based on purchase.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.