Captain Gnashblade, our living story sham

in Living World

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

Remember that time we got to vote on who was elected to the captain’s council in Lion’s Arch? The choice was between Ellen Kiel and Evon Gnashblade.

- Ellen Kiel promised a short term waypoint discount and our Thaumanova Reactor fractal.
– Evon Gnashblade offered (if i recall) a short term black lion discount, a fractal of a popular gw 1 event and, honorable mention, gave players regular bribes to vote for him during the event.

Ellen Kiel won, Evon sulked, Ellen Kiel apparently had no impact when she tried to warn the captain’s council about Scarlet…

And now low behold, Evon Gnashblade has been promoted to the rank of “Captain” anyway. You can check it out by looking at the name over his head – he’s in the Black Lion’s headquaters in lion’s arch.

So, electing Kiel was touted as players shaping the world of Tyria in meaningful and permanent ways. Kiel had no unique effect on the story of Tyria and her opponent (who wasn’t voted in by us) was raised to the captain’s council anyway.

Personally I view this as another one of Anet’s grand flouted plans which were quietly swept under the rug. Not sure if anyone else here approves of both the contestants of the player’s choice event being on the captain’s council, I dont?

in Living World

Posted by: PeterFries

PeterFries

Narrative Designer

There are many captains in and around Lions Arch, which is a bustling port city, but Evon became a captain by buying a ship of his own, in order to qualify for election to (the late) Captain Theo Ashford’s recently-vacated seat on the Captain’s Council.*

*Inspector Ellen Kiel became a viable candidate by assuming the captaincy of an airship that had belonged to the defeated Aetherblades.

in Living World

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Thank you Peter for explaining this to the OP. Both were “Captains”, but only Evon is the best charr for the job. I can only hope there’s a new election, so we can kick Kiel to the curb, and Evon can take his rightful seat.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Living World

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Can we revote? Because that Fractal.. is the worst thing ever.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Living World

Gerrand.3085

Apologies then. I’d assumed that the only NPCs in Lion’s arch who had the title “Captain” visibly displayed were council members. I must have missed the garden variety captains – at least those with the word “Captain” visibly shown.

I’d add to the title of the forum that my assumption was incorrect but I don’t think I have enough characters left to do so.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Can we revote? Because that Fractal.. is the worst thing ever.

I like it and the boss is an excellently designed boss. The right Captain won!

in Living World

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

I’m still salty about missing out on the Abaddon fractal, especially because (if I remember correctly) we’ll never ever get it added into the game.
But I suppose that’s the way the player decision permanently affected GW2.

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I do hope that one day Anet will change their mind about the Abaddon fractal. I was interested in both fractals, but in the end disappointed by Thaumanova – I was hoping that it would actually show some of that Inquest research, and not just tell us something we already suspected (that dragon energy got mixed in with the chaos energy).

@OP: The Abaddon fractal was not a GW1 event, but refers to the events of Year 0 – the events that led to the splitting of the Bloodstone and led into the events of GW1. The beginning of it all.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Apologies then. I’d assumed that the only NPCs in Lion’s arch who had the title “Captain” visibly displayed were council members. I must have missed the garden variety captains – at least those with the word “Captain” visibly shown.

I’d add to the title of the forum that my assumption was incorrect but I don’t think I have enough characters left to do so.

At the docks there is a “Lionguard Captain” npc.

Frankly, Evon couldn’t have done a better job then Ellen, and was far shadier. Not surprising more people voted against him :P.

in Living World

Gerrand.3085

Frankly, Evon couldn’t have done a better job then Ellen, and was far shadier. Not surprising more people voted against him :P.

Captain is a rank that doesn’t specifically tie to boat ownership. You can have a “Captain of the guard” who doesn’t own a yacht – or sail, at all. I just found it odd that we are suddenly, visibly, told that Evon owns a boat when it wasn’t worth mentioning in every living world event up until this point.

I agree that people didn’t vote for Evon because he was shadier. That said, if we didn’t received pouches with an Evon bribe and a vote token but instead obtained “sponsored” vote tokens (which rewarded two silver if you voted for Evon with them), I think the vote would have gone very differently.

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I do hope that one day Anet will change their mind about the Abaddon fractal. I was interested in both fractals, but in the end disappointed by Thaumanova – I was hoping that it would actually show some of that Inquest research, and not just tell us something we already suspected (that dragon energy got mixed in with the chaos energy).

@OP: The Abaddon fractal was not a GW1 event, but refers to the events of Year 0 – the events that led to the splitting of the Bloodstone and led into the events of GW1. The beginning of it all.

I agree regarding the Abaddon fractal. I really hope we get to see it some time. The Thaumanova reactor was less interesting lore-wise, although I enjoyed it gameplay-wise.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Captain is a rank that doesn’t specifically tie to boat ownership. You can have a “Captain of the guard” who doesn’t own a yacht – or sail, at all. I just found it odd that we are suddenly, visibly, told that Evon owns a boat when it wasn’t worth mentioning in every living world event up until this point.

I agree that people didn’t vote for Evon because he was shadier. That said, if we didn’t received pouches with an Evon bribe and a vote token but instead obtained “sponsored” vote tokens (which rewarded two silver if you voted for Evon with them), I think the vote would have gone very differently.

“I am a very, very nice and pleasant person, and thus it is registered I voted for Evon Gnashblade, Charr of the People. He’s so much more than he appears, he understands the financial ramifications of running a business, he understands LA and how to keep order. He also didn’t take any kitten from his old warband when they wanted to extort the people of Lion’s Arch. He gives a kitten about LA, even if he appears in a bad light sometimes.

Kiel is a seemingly nice person who is not qualified on any front. Sure, she can investigate stuff, but apparently that skill is hit and miss: when entrusted with the security of LA, it went southwards fast.
After somehow managing to con everyone into voting for her, she also gave us a seizure-inducing fractal! This evidence clearly shows she’s not as nice as she appears. When it comes down to it, I’ll trust the charr – at least he’s honest about who he is and is competent with the cashflow to boot!"

Disclaimer: Please, don’t take this too seriously! The above is from the point of view of a ranger character I actually had removed from the premises a little while ago. I don’t really care either way: technically I voted for both of them and should never be trusted either!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Living World

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

I’m surprised Kiel still has a job.

#VoteForEvon

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

in Living World

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Ellen ‘Boom Boom’ Kiel just likes to watch things burn. Gnashblade was the right choice. The logical choice. I suspect the ballot boxes were rigged.

The table is a fable.

in Living World

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Ellen ‘Boom Boom’ Kiel just likes to watch things burn. Gnashblade was the right choice. The logical choice. I suspect the ballot boxes were rigged.

Well i suspect a more obvios reason why kiel got her job… bias against charr