Conversation Cut-Scene Overhaul

in Living World

Posted by: irishwalrus.5162

irishwalrus.5162

Somewhere I remember hearing that ANet was planning to overhaul the current two way conversation cut scene currently in the games personal story mode. I feel that this would be a good time going into Season 2 because of the new instances they plan to add to the game. Can anyone confirm that they are working on this? I would really like to see my character talking in a conversation outside of the painting backdrop.

Groknar Ironcrack- The Emperor

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

they ditched them in favor of the more GW1-styled conversation cutscenes you’ve seen throughout season 1

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here you go: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/A-wish-Cutscenes-in-Living-Story/first#post3635704

Matthew Oswald
Cinematics Lead

….

The cinematics that you see in the personal story where 2 characters talk to each other on a stage-like environment have been…retired.

in Living World

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

I hope they got some 3D animating software to really increase the immersion.

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Oh, interesting. Yeah I wasn’t thrilled with that method of cut-scene. I really hope they eventually come out with something that exceeds our expectations. They’ve come a long way since GW1, so I can only hope there’s some breakthrough stuff coming up for the cut-scene delivery.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Living World

Posted by: Saunt.5341

Saunt.5341

In the one of the latest cutscenes i think i remember them saying that ther were using some animations to better convey whats going on rather than use the base set of emotes/animations that are there right now.

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I wouldn’t expect too much bespoke animation, it’s mostly not worth the extra effort and they’d have a lot of costs that they could spend on more important things. I’d rather their animators be working on new mob animations, new player ability animations, new player emotes, etc. Keep in mind that they have animators and animation software, they are just busy with other things. The current “canned” animation can be activated by people with less skill at animation, since they are more “directing” the scene, firing off the animations at intervals, rather than needing to manage every movement.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Don’t count on the current dialogues in the personal story to be “revamped”, if that was the question. The personal story (from level 1 up to Zhaitan) is a finished product, and reworking it adds little to the game. Players want new content, so slightly better-looking old content is not something they would want to invest their programming time into.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Here you go: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/A-wish-Cutscenes-in-Living-Story/first#post3635704

Matthew Oswald
Cinematics Lead

….

The cinematics that you see in the personal story where 2 characters talk to each other on a stage-like environment have been…retired.

So likely PS won’t change but we won’t see anymore in the future. It was a nice experiment I guess, can’t fault ANet for that.

Don’t count on the current dialogues in the personal story to be “revamped”, if that was the question. The personal story (from level 1 up to Zhaitan) is a finished product, and reworking it adds little to the game. Players want new content, so slightly better-looking old content is not something they would want to invest their programming time into.

Well ANet does claim that they follow a iterative approach, so by there development methodology there shouldn’t be any reason not too. But yeah, the classic mindset behind MMO development is: once you’ve released only bug fixing is allowed.

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

@CureForLiving:
I’m not saying that they will see no room for improvement, but it’s simply not cost effective to make changes to a part of the game that few people will appreciate.

(If it were unbearably bad, or totally outdated by industry standards, then yes. But they invested a lot of time and money into all those cutscenes, and the end result is passable enough to have no immediate reason to scrap it and redesign it. They’ve just chosen a new direction going forward.)

(Still, the ability to replay the personal story, or at least the dialogues, would be something I would certainly appreciate.)

in Living World

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

As “leader”, supreme and high mighty omnipotent overlord of the “biconics”, I’d like to be conversed as well, and my opinions and decisions be heard and revered by all in my majestic presence. I don’t like it when I am relegated as king, then ignored, snubbed, even ostracized in conversations of lesser beings, and by lesser beings I mean everyone else.

I don’t mind having no voice overs (although some voice overs here and there would be nice to give us an idea of what their voice could sound like, but then again, we can imagine it ourselves), if that is what it takes to have a meaningful and/or entertaining conversation with the NPCs.