Convoluted story?

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

I’m just tired of all of these factions everywhere and random villains popping in and out—it’s making me feel drained, and it’s somewhat taxing to keep everything in order. Everything is so omni-directional and plots are overly complex and perhaps convoluted. The villains we are getting I care little about as they are as complex as the ten or so factions working around them (perhaps secretly or who knows.)

I would rather just still be fighting Zhaitans minions all this time—it’s simple, strong, and I can understand it.

Self Is The Emblem All

(edited by Greyalis.2309)

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

((Orr’s still there)) :P

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

Even in Zelda, Ganon never lost any of his potency. And he was re-invented each time to become part of a new story.

Just think of “Ganon” and all that power. Now think of “the elder dragons, Scarlet Briar, the atherblades, the Zephyrites, the nightmare court, the soundless, the secret sylvari, evon gnashblade, keil, the inquest”—craziness.

I guess what i’m getting at is, please no more factions. . .. .unless you make Tengu. ..

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

So you like stories that are point A to B, or with complexities so subtle you miss them?

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

yes bone i’m a lackluster individual!

Not at all, i’m just saying you can make stories interesting without adding in factions and enemies all the time—look at jr tolkien, he wrote LOTR with only one bad guy basically and minor supporting bad guys—and that book has more lore than all of gw2

IMHO I think the stories are getting weak, I believe they should in fact include all of this stuff in time perhaps—but let us first get a good connection to the characters we do have. I know a lot of people didn’t like scarlet briar character—but I would have said let her still be alive even, I barely even know anything about this character and I am a regular player. Now that she’s dead, I can’t even make a strong connection as if there really is one atm with whatever is going on now with these “soundless” sylvari.

Even then, why even make a new faction of “soundless” sylvari—can’t they just use the nightmare court again somehow?

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I honestly don’t mind the additional plot and sub plot. It keeps me thinking, speculating, and looking around me for things I might have missed. It keeps me actively engaged. Then again, I’ve also been a fan of series like the Black Company and Wheel of Time, which definitely don’t lack for twists and sub plots…

why even make a new faction of “soundless” sylvari

The ‘Soundless’ aren’t a new faction… If you’d explored Caledon Forest and paid any attention at all, you’d know this.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soundless

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Not at all, i’m just saying you can make stories interesting without adding in factions and enemies all the time—look at jr tolkien, he wrote LOTR with only one bad guy basically and minor supporting bad guys—and that book has more lore than all of gw2

If you want a discussion, keep the snark comments to yourself.

I think you mean one bad faction; Sauron wasn’t the top evil, nor the most devastating. But yes, that story did seem cut and dry, “point A to B”. Personally, I couldn’t get past page 16, that book is boring as hell.

I’m just saying you can make stories interesting without boiling down whose the good guy and bad guy.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

Yes, but a book can go way more in depth than can a video game monthly patch with a quests and text bubbles.

Sure, look at game of thrones, no shortage of characters, factions or subplots there—but would every one of those chapters be a good world event?

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

I think you mean one bad faction; Sauron wasn’t the top evil, nor the most devastating. But yes, that story did seem cut and dry, “point A to B”. Personally, I couldn’t get past page 16, that book is boring as hell.

I’m just saying you can make stories interesting without boiling down whose the good guy and bad guy.

OMG, Well don’t ask me loaded questions with backhanded implications. That seemed like the obvious answer did it not?! I wasn’t being snarky but trying to dissarm your even more snarky question =)

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, but a book can go way more in depth than can a video game monthly patch with a quests and text bubbles.

Sure, look at game of thrones, no shortage of characters, factions or subplots there—but would every one of those chapters be a good world event?

I haven’t read Game of Thrones. I tried, but it just wasn’t my taste I guess so I can’t use that as a comparison.

Still, just because this is a game does not mean that the plot needs to be linear, or even streamlined. You could go into just as much depth in the game as you can in a book since in the game you can actually portray what’s happening through the medium, where as you have to describe it via words in a book and hope the reader has a good enough imagination to picture it. It’s really not any more complicated to keep track of the various characters rendered via text vs rendered via a 3d model.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Well don’t ask me loaded questions with backhanded implications. I wasn’t being snarky but trying to be a soothsayer for your even more snarky question =)

My question clarified what you seemed to enjoy in storytelling, I was asking your confirmation.

If you feel insulted, perhaps it’s best you avoid the forum completely. A simple misunderstanding and you seem ready to burn down your own thread.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I haven’t read Game of Thrones. I tried, but it just wasn’t my taste…

I hate the story, so much. But it’s a nice read, I’m interested in how the Others will be dealt with.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

I haven’t read Game of Thrones. I tried, but it just wasn’t my taste I guess so I can’t use that as a comparison.

Still, just because this is a game does not mean that the plot needs to be linear, or even streamlined. You could go into just as much depth in the game as you can in a book since in the game you can actually portray what’s happening through the medium, where as you have to describe it via words in a book and hope the reader has a good enough imagination to picture it. It’s really not any more complicated to keep track of the various characters rendered via text vs rendered via a 3d model.

I just feel the story as of now feels slightly convoluted as a general player—not one that is entirely dismissive of lore or story, nor one who stands up at gw2 conventions and asks where the hell Traehorne is. Just that I feel I have to force myself to be interested in what is going on, and also that to really enjoy the story that is going on you have to simply “enjoy the story”—but not to the extent that a normal person would really enjoy it.

Perhaps the new journal will help me, but I still feel in general much of GW2 is disjointed in some ways.

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I just feel the story as of now feels slightly convoluted as a general player—not one that is entirely dismissive of lore or story, nor one who stands up at gw2 conventions and asks where the hell Traehorne is. Just that I feel I have to force myself to be interested in what is going on, and also that to really enjoy the story that is going on you have to simply “enjoy the story”—but not to the extent that a normal person would really enjoy it.

Perhaps the new journal will help me, but I still feel in general much of GW2 is disjointed in some ways.

If you’re trying to connect the dots between S1 and S2, I can see that. A lot of people felt lost in S1 because it was not presented the best. Not all of the story components were actually in the game, you couldn’t go back and redo something if you missed conversations, sometimes kitten was just hard to find. There was a lot of trial and error in S1 while they attempted to find their footing, and it hurt the story in a lot of ways. Additionally, it left a lot of questions unanswered.

Coming into season 2 we have a new mechanic (the journal) which might help with some of those issues. We have clear, concise directions to the story instances, we have lots and lots of dialog in the game, we can go back and repeat something if we missed it or perhaps need some clarification. Beyond that, this is just the first snippet of story, give it some time to grow on what we have. If you’re missing back story and confused, then ask or wiki it. It might help.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

Well don’t ask me loaded questions with backhanded implications. I wasn’t being snarky but trying to be a soothsayer for your even more snarky question =)

My question clarified what you seemed to enjoy in storytelling, I was asking your confirmation.

If you feel insulted, perhaps it’s best you avoid the forum completely. A simple misunderstanding and you seem ready to burn down your own thread.

Ok, then the simple answer is this: yes, I like stories that are point A to B, or with complexities so subtle that I miss them. Is that snarky? I can’t tell anymore.

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

This episode was pretty straightforward. There is one bad guy. You figure out who he is. You stop him. There’s a brief epilogue to raise questions about why he did it so that there’s a hanging thread for the next episode. The “factions” in question are no more complex or relevant than the various societies/factions in tolkien. Rohan is horse people. Zephyrites is kite people. Dwarves live in mountains. Inquest are evil scientists.

There are details that are interesting, but they aren’t necessarily important to the plot.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Greyalis.2309

WHERE IS THE kitten DRAGON?!

Self Is The Emblem All

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Currently, the living story doesn’t have a villian. We’ve killed off two of them. Until a third is introduced, or the dragon becomes more active, there really isn’t a villian.

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

WHERE IS THE kitten DRAGON?!

Master of Peace is the dragon.

DUN DUN DUUUN

Convoluted story?

in Living World

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

More likely the Master of Peace is Menzies!

DUN DUN DUUUN!!!