Diminishing satisfaction from LS updates

in Living World

Posted by: Dagnis.2936

Dagnis.2936

Let me first just say that I love the idea of living story. The bi-weekly updates are great for a free to play game.

However, they have a huge flaw. Until now, with the new dungeon path, we haven’t had any actually new, and not reworked content since Southsun Cove in November of last year. I feel like the world isn’t actually changing, it is not even “living” like Anet wants it. The world is just going through these temporary shifts, like seasons or holidays. Nothing comes to stay in any real way or for that long. All we get in return for it is achievement points and a back piece or mini as a trinket. I would love to see Anet actually start doing more permanent content like the new dungeon phase. Give us actually new zones that will stay, not these temporary gifts. It’s like having a new toy every 2 weeks, only to have it taken from you and you given another that isn’t better or worse. After a while these new toys achieve less and less player satisfaction, at least for me. Permanent content = meaningful content is I guess what I’m trying to say. I like going to an area I’ve conquered or done, but instead all these past events are just memories that are less and less gratifying after completing.

What I’m asking is, does anyone else feel this way? Like they are being rewarded less and less? If so, how would you fix that?

(edited by Dagnis.2936)

in Living World

Posted by: Kuzletti.9175

Kuzletti.9175

I strongly agree with you. I was quite disappointed by the recent LS releases because they don’t feel like content worth spending your time on. Instead, they feel like little batches of filler content to keep us busy while real content is at work. (I’m referring to the content released after the Bazaar of the Four Winds)

I’m sorry, but coming back to the game after 2 weeks of waiting for the current LS to end only to find that the new LS is just a reworked boss fight (Tequatl), and then waiting 2 more weeks to find a new path for a dungeon (Twilight Assault) just makes me wonder: Is something going on that I’m not aware of? Is it their plan to just release reworks and little expansions to existing content one by one, every 2 weeks?

I’m quite frustrated, and I’m sure more people are frustrated at the fact you have wait 2 weeks for a new LS, only to finish it in a day and go back to your usual business.

On an unrelated note, I’m also very sick of Scarlet, she just doesn’t fit in with the rest of the game, but that’s just a personal thing.

in Living World

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I think from the prevalence of threads on these forums expressing dissatisfaction with Living Story, you can safely assume that you are not the only one who feels this way.

That said, your post here has no doubt awakened the Automated ANet Defense Drones (AADD’s) who are no doubt on their way to this very thread to defend the Living Story concept against your malicious and obviously deranged attack on it’s sovereignty, and to provide you with vapor-metrics to prove to you how, in fact, Living Story is actually the best thing since the inventions of Hot Pockets and the Microwave were combined to create a glorious new Utopia.

Run, my friend! Run!

in Living World

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

When are they going to release content involving the elder dragons, or even stronger minions of the elder dragons?

Teq didn’t really involve any story, but I still enjoyed that week because at least the lore behind him is real instead of some random villain who no one even knows. (who is scarlet?)

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Agreed. They have plenty of things from GW2 itself they could be expanding upon, not to mention all the myriad things from GW1. Even if Cantha and Elona aren’t counted..

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

that’s what im screaming on these forums for a week now.

add permcontent already so Huge world so many places so many stories so many places thateven GW1 players don’t know about yet they don’t add Anything.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: Dagnis.2936

Dagnis.2936

What about the rewards? what do you think of them? I’m getting tired of back pieces over and over, I only have so many characters and as a result so many backs. Not to mention they aren’t even dye-able!

in Living World

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Eh, the rewards for Teq aren’t really worth the time investment, but those green ascended weapons are sick looking.

As for the back pieces.. some are cool, others I dislike, but I think those rewards are fine for completing achievements. I definitely wish they were dye-able.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Living World

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

living story is boring…

it’s not even story, it’s just a new achievement tab and dulfy page every 2 weeks with people mindlessly trying to get all of them completed before the next update, half the people don’t even have a clue what to do on it if it wasn’t for dulfy… that just shows how bad the living story is…

it’s not even fun and i stopped doing them.

feels like it’s just made for hardcore achievement completionists.

i would rather see less living story and see more permanent expansion.

(edited by Flubble.8093)

in Living World

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

you mention the new dungeon as good permanent content, but are you aware that in order to put it in they took another path out of the game?

in Living World

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Even if they add a new permanent content, how many of you are going back after a couple of runs? I have no need to do TA anymore, the reward/time isn’t worth it.

in Living World

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

I think from the prevalence of threads on these forums expressing dissatisfaction with Living Story, you can safely assume that you are not the only one who feels this way.

That said, your post here has no doubt awakened the Automated ANet Defense Drones (AADD’s) who are no doubt on their way to this very thread to defend the Living Story concept against your malicious and obviously deranged attack on it’s sovereignty, and to provide you with vapor-metrics to prove to you how, in fact, Living Story is actually the best thing since the inventions of Hot Pockets and the Microwave were combined to create a glorious new Utopia.

Run, my friend! Run!

Don’t forget the giant tinfoil hat anet wears. They absolutely refuse to even make a comment on this. Forget the rabid drooling basement dwellers.
And to anyone using the whole… “whos gonna do that new path later” Umm… nobody because people will be doing another timegated pointless farm? This game is on the right track to train people for the glorious position of Senior Advanced Chinese Gold Farmer SuperStar.

in Living World

Posted by: Kuzletti.9175

Kuzletti.9175

What about the rewards? what do you think of them? I’m getting tired of back pieces over and over, I only have so many characters and as a result so many backs. Not to mention they aren’t even dye-able!

Rewards? Well I still use the rose backpiece from Bazaar of the Four Winds, that’s all I remember ever using from a LS.

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

My understanding is that you have multiple different teams working concurrently to produce content that is released on a rotating schedule. So Team A releases their content, then two weeks later Team B releases their content…

Team A > Team B > Team C > Team D > Team A… etc.

So I think what we’re seeing here is inconsistency in the quality produced by different teams. I think that one or two of these teams are AMAZING, and the other teams are… failing to meet expectations.

Bazaar of the Four Winds? AMAZING content.
Tequatl Update? LAME.
Clockwork Chaos? AWESOME content.
Super Adventure Box? Whatever. Don’t Care.
Twilight Assault? I haven’t even bothered to read about it on Dulfy.

But these are just my reactions to these specific content updates. Not every update is going to appeal to every player, and that’s fine. No big deal.

The last three LS updates were pretty crappy, and that tells me that the team(s) I like are coming back around in the rotation. So I’ll just go do some non-LS related content while I wait for the next AWESOME AMAZING content to come around.

in Living World

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

Ive said it a few times that I want to see it as episodes, not all hopscotching around, at least then I dont have to get confused by the lack of plot. Non of the living stuff makes any sense. Personally, I am not convinced that Zhatain is gone for good, or else, why are all the risen still here? Furthermore, why do the risen ignore Scarlet and all her minions? Who really pulls her puppet strings.

in Living World

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I personally just don’t understand why they have to keep inventing new lore when they have such rich background of lore already to work on. All the living story serves is to push new people and places instead of expanding on the locations and lore we have waited to see for years.

in Living World

Posted by: Soronthar.7236

Soronthar.7236

The world is changing… but is changing too much like the real world: slowly. I expected the LS to be something world-shattering, something epic so if I logged again after a two or three month hiatus I would actually feel that things are not the same.

For me the dynamic events are a lot more like what I expected the LS to be: There are some arcs in Shiverspeak and Ascalon where the dynamic of the map changes if the events are active or not, and if you succeed the chains of event or not. I would like something like that, at a bigger scale, for the LS.

Long time ago, in another MMO that I really liked, they added an island to the world. The island has some quest that the whole server must cooperate to do (kill stuff, collect stuff things, not “kill the big raid that needs 800 people” stuff), and as the quest where being completed by the server the island changed and presented new quests and so on.. until the island reached its final state with new raidbosses and stuff. even the world changed with the island, as some merchants and portals opened depending on the stage the island was. I absolutely loved that expansion, the world actually felt alive.

I expected something like that on the LS: I want to feel the world changing, and that we are changing it.

in Living World

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

good dungeon , bad rewards .

in Living World

Posted by: loquacious.9301

loquacious.9301

I’ll add my support for this too. The Living World system is weak. What I mean by that is, sure having rapid content is one thing but it’s only useful if that content is compelling and engaging.

I’m not finding the content engaging nor does it have any real quality to it. Quality over quantity seems to have been removed from the system here.

The big reset button that gets pressed every two weeks is frustrating and the continual “light x fires” or “collect xx pieces” does what exactly? Apart from increase your achievement score to get a new chest, what does it actually do? It doesn’t drive the story forward, it doesn’t engage the player, it doesn’t seem to actually do anything of merit. It’s just filler.

Guild Wars 1 was amazing in its approach and implementation. Sure it wasn’t perfect but it had a lot of game play and was repeatable to it. Guild Wars 2 on the other hand is dull, with very little engaging game play. The premise of the elder dragons has been abandoned for cheap and easy mini quests that have no lasting impact.

Guild Wars 1, a game that is now 8 years old, is a better game that Guild Wars 2, a game that is a little over 1 year old.