Don't Punish Returning Players

in Living World

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

The main issue with that however is the fact that the vast majority of it took place out in the open world, and much of it required rather large groups of people.

IF they were to add something like this, they would basically need to have multiple versions of every single map that had any part of Living Story in them (and quite a few of them would require 3 or more versions (the live one, living story #1, living story #2 for example)) and that would take quite a bit of resources for something that might very well be used by a very limited amount of people.

How would the warrant spending that time and money on something that might be used by lets say 10 people out of a couple of hundred thousands each week?

It’s already there. There’s a personal story instance with a crashed airship that otherwise never appears in the game. The instance space for Rox’s mission all the way back in Flame and Frost is still in the game, and to this point has only ever been used for that one mission.

It’s really not hard to load in prefab set pieces, like boats, tents, or maybe the same pub layout that Shaemoor and Cornucopian Fields share in their areas.

ANet have been doing instances since day one. They’ve also been doing very large and heavily modified instance maps since day one.

As for the resources, I’m not sure where you’re coming from on that one. You store what an instance is and what it contains on plain storage (like SSD) which is cheap, and when someone wants to play and instance, you load it up, and the server can run the instance separate from the main megaservers, like they’ve always done with Personal Story.

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

(edited by Bob F It.5701)

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree. It would be a simple matter to have the story/dungeon instances be permanently available via personalised instances or a “Historian” NPC (he could even be your herald!)

So stuff like the periscopes littering the landscape, or Aetherblades guarding the probes would be gone, but you could still do the Aetherblade Retreat dungeon, or the Molten Facility, by gathering up a group, talking to an NPC and entering your own instance. If the Personal Story is basically frozen in time and constantly available, why can’t the Living Story do the same?

For things like the Tower of Nightmares and the Marionette Battle, they could be converted into special guild missions. For example, the Priory is conducting research on the Marionette to unearth more data. If a guild starts the mission, the Marionette reactivates and the guild has 30 minutes to bring it down. (Other players can freely join in once the guild mission is active, same as other guild missions.)

in Living World

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

I wonder when the complaints about temporary content will end since Anet said already that Season 2 will be all permanent….

You have a link to this information? I’d love to see it.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I wonder when the complaints about temporary content will end since Anet said already that Season 2 will be all permanent….

Here

I’m taking everything said with big grains of salt. But kudos to them for actually getting a dev to talk. Whenever I see a dev in game, I can never get them to even respond to a “Hello.”

in Living World

Nat.4029

Here

I’m taking everything said with big grains of salt. But kudos to them for actually getting a dev to talk. Whenever I see a dev in game, I can never get them to even respond to a “Hello.”

Grain of salt indeed. Sounds hopeful though. I’d just like to see the Living Story open up entire new areas instead of changing what we already have.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

One of the biggest meta-complaints that players from MMOs have had since the days of Everquest and before is that the worlds feel less than alive because they are static.

ANet give a taste of an evolving world and people go berserk.

Developers just can’t win.

Just because it’s different doesn’t mean that it’s good.

And just because YOU don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Of course. But don’t make it good either.

Just because YOU like doesn’t make it’s good.
See, works in both ways.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

If I decide to go on a vacation, and during that time something really big happens in my hometown.
I would miss that big thing, because it happened when I was away.

Thats just how life is. Things happen, you miss things. Life goes on.

This. Some people are always concerned that they’re missing out. Holiday content comes and goes also but I think most people don’t want the winter holiday content to stay year-round.

However it is a separate topic that there is very little new permanent content in the game.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Anyone else remember when NCSoft said ANet was already working on a GW2 expansion, and ANet came back and said “no, we’re not”? I’m pretty sure someone at NCSoft caught fire for that, and I’d bet ANet did too. I think it’s not NCSoft refusing to let them make an expansion, but more someone at ANet now has their kitten on the line if LS doesn’t measure up. Thus the push ahead with LS at all costs.

As for the “evolving world”? Lots of games do it without LS tricks, even GW2 does it some. The basic idea is that as you progress through zones, going up in zone level means the story advances. In GW2, an example of that is how the pact is in the Orr zones, but they don’t exist in any lower level zones. The story advances at that point, and things change. Using this trick, if you want to put in an advancing story later, you follow the same pattern. Start it out in lower level zones, and advance it through the zones to give it the feeling of time passing.

Yes, there are flaws with that approach, but it still works pretty well if written right. ANet’s trying to reinvent the wheel. What they’ve come up with works, but not as well as an actual wheel.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Most times a new story part is on for two weeks or more and it usually takes less than an hour(Read posts about expansion and read how they think LS content is to short). Saying you don’t have time to play 1 hour in a two weeks period sounds fishy to me… Don’t wanna offend but to me it sounds more like ‘I got bored of the game and tried other games, but I return to GW2 since there is no better games but now I missed the story just becouse of that’. Sure I feel sorry for you guys who gets bored of the game comes back and has missed alot of the story. Though there is a pretty good recap in game now and you have http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1 .

I hope that due time Anet will find a way for players to play an unrewarded Instance to play the old LS content alone or in groups. yes unrewarded, I feel sorry for players that have missed the story but the uniqe rewards are for the people who actually stay true to the game at that specific time.

So, people who take a break are traitors and don’t deserve content?
In fact, it’s the feeling that the “catch the carrot against timers” content gives.
So… guess that players like me are unwelcomed to this game and need to leave asap.
At least I’m glad that I refrained from buying gems lately.

But let’s say for IRL, a store decides to give out 500 of their last stuff to the first 500 costumers and after that you can never get it ever (If you don’t buy it on Ebay ofc). The store holds this event to get more people to visit the store and buy more products not just to be kind. What you want is that this store you have visited once should give you something the next time you visit the store just becouse you have been there and shopped before.

So saying traitor to the ones taking a break from the game is kinda harsh but I still don’t think players who don’t participate in “special events” deserve the “special stuff”.
Race against time or not, I like it that participants get stuff and people who is not playing miss out. It makes the stuff even more special and not everyone runs around with the same Greatsword all the time.
I have missed out on stuff too becouse I had RL issues to take care of and I wasn’t good enough to compleate Aetherblade retreat even once (Wich had me a little kittened since the story was locked behind a hard for me temporary dungeon). But I accept it, I didn’t do it so why should I have the stuff and as I said before I like it that it goes away so not everyone has it all… Remember during dragon festival when everyone ran around with holo-wings and shattarer wings but now not everyone has them so everyone is not running around with them.

I think players like you are very welcome, you are not hindered to enjoy any content that can be enjoyed at the moment. Just becouse you missed the cake doesn’t mean you are less welcome to the party.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Most times a new story part is on for two weeks or more and it usually takes less than an hour(Read posts about expansion and read how they think LS content is to short). Saying you don’t have time to play 1 hour in a two weeks period sounds fishy to me… Don’t wanna offend but to me it sounds more like ‘I got bored of the game and tried other games, but I return to GW2 since there is no better games but now I missed the story just becouse of that’. Sure I feel sorry for you guys who gets bored of the game comes back and has missed alot of the story. Though there is a pretty good recap in game now and you have http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_1 .

I hope that due time Anet will find a way for players to play an unrewarded Instance to play the old LS content alone or in groups. yes unrewarded, I feel sorry for players that have missed the story but the uniqe rewards are for the people who actually stay true to the game at that specific time.

So, people who take a break are traitors and don’t deserve content?
In fact, it’s the feeling that the “catch the carrot against timers” content gives.
So… guess that players like me are unwelcomed to this game and need to leave asap.
At least I’m glad that I refrained from buying gems lately.

But let’s say for IRL, a store decides to give out 500 of their last stuff to the first 500 costumers and after that you can never get it ever (If you don’t buy it on Ebay ofc). The store holds this event to get more people to visit the store and buy more products not just to be kind. What you want is that this store you have visited once should give you something the next time you visit the store just becouse you have been there and shopped before.

So saying traitor to the ones taking a break from the game is kinda harsh but I still don’t think players who don’t participate in “special events” deserve the “special stuff”.
Race against time or not, I like it that participants get stuff and people who is not playing miss out. It makes the stuff even more special and not everyone runs around with the same Greatsword all the time.
I have missed out on stuff too becouse I had RL issues to take care of and I wasn’t good enough to compleate Aetherblade retreat even once (Wich had me a little kittened since the story was locked behind a hard for me temporary dungeon). But I accept it, I didn’t do it so why should I have the stuff and as I said before I like it that it goes away so not everyone has it all… Remember during dragon festival when everyone ran around with holo-wings and shattarer wings but now not everyone has them so everyone is not running around with them.

I think players like you are very welcome, you are not hindered to enjoy any content that can be enjoyed at the moment. Just becouse you missed the cake doesn’t mean you are less welcome to the party.

One thing is a special event. Something like the Scourge Invasion pre-WotLK, or the attempt to re-take Gnomeran prior Cataclysm in WoW.
Those are rare one time events.

But in Guild Wars we have those “rare” one time events… every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY.
It’s madness. And stressful. You must race against the clock every single moment that you’re playing.
You want to level you new alt? No, wait, you must be grinding or you gonna miss that achiev for the Living World. And after that there’s another for the next and after that… you get the idea.
GW2 is not PVE or PVP, it’s PVC, players vs Clock.

I people like it, great. If anet want to keep that way to do things, fine.
Just, want to them to say it clearly. “We gonna keep doing temporary content, and making our players race against the clock forever.”
So I can find another game to play. Wich is sad because I like the game, I love the artistic style, I love the “everyone together against the world” style of game… but the way of delivering content… I can’t stand that.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Oh, so those kinds of events are okay when the vast majority of the players won’t ever see them, but when the majority actually can see (and do) them it is bad?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Oh, so those kinds of events are okay when the vast majority of the players won’t ever see them, but when the majority actually can see (and do) them it is bad?

You’re missing the point. Entirely. With prejuice. Now that I think about it… it’s admirable how much you missed the point. You must surely have special training in missing the point.

Anyways, the point is that in GW2 we’re racing againt’s the clock every single second of … well, everytime that we play the game. PVC. Players vs Clock.
You can do a race against the clock event sometimes… but EVERY SINGLE TIME?

“Can our valerous heroes grind enough content before the next update comes and destroy it forever making they miss the story of the game? Check that in the next, Guild Wars 2 the Tyranny of the Clock!!”

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

To be fair events that can be completed in a couple of hours but are available for AT LEAST two weeks isn’t really that much race against the clock.
If you feel the need to get every single achievement available in each release it will probably take a bit longer. But the event itself doesn’t usually take much time to experience and finish.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

rincewind.9528

What if I don’t play for a month?

The clock makes a fatality. Flawless victory!!

I don’t want to feel like I’m forced to play. It feels more like a job than a game. And I don’t like. Don’t like at all. Other people may like the feeling. And of course it’s okay, and great if they like it. But for me… big no.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

And there we are at it again.
You somehow feel like the game should cater to people like you, that don’t actively play, rather than those of us that plays at least a couple of hours a week, which is most likely the vast majority of the playerbase.

I know that you will counter with the whole: “Ah but they can make it permanent!”, but that isn’t really a solution either. Making stuff like S1 living story fully permanent would take away a rather major part for at least me and a couple of other people I know. The part about the world actually moving rather than being static (which is the case if everything added just stays forever).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

rincewind.9528

And again you’re missing the point. Your training is top notch I see.

And you didn’t read the whole thread.

But again, if anet don’t want me, no problem. I can leave.

But I would like that they say clearly what’s their stance.
Their gonna keep the racing against the clock model or the rumors are true and they gonna focus in permanent content?
So I can make a decision.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

How am I missing the point? Instead of behaving like that why not explain the point you are trying to make? Because from my point of view your posts basically says that they should cater specifically to you.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

rincewind.9528

I really don’t know how can I explain it.
If you don’t get it reading my previous post it’s obviously that there’s a communication problem between us here.
Either I’m horrible triying to explain things (more probably cause) or you are horrible understanding things. (less probably cause).

Either way, this is an exercise of futility. Sorry for the bother.

in Living World

Bob F It.5701

You somehow feel like the game should cater to people like you, that don’t actively play, rather than those of us that plays at least a couple of hours a week, which is most likely the vast majority of the playerbase.

I know that you will counter with the whole: “Ah but they can make it permanent!”, but that isn’t really a solution either. Making stuff like S1 living story fully permanent would take away a rather major part for at least me and a couple of other people I know. The part about the world actually moving rather than being static (which is the case if everything added just stays forever).

Which is why you could implement something similar to Personal Story and have each part of LS one-time per character/account. It wouldn’t affect your moving world, and new and returning players can get a bite of the content.

Add to the end " -bmp"

in Living World

Nat.4029

Which is why you could implement something similar to Personal Story and have each part of LS one-time per character/account. It wouldn’t affect your moving world, and new and returning players can get a bite of the content.

Exactly….but that wouldn’t be “groundbreaking” and “revolutionary”.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Yeah, we maybe need to leave.
I like the game, but I don’t want the game to be the center of my universe.
Sorry for liking to do other things beside playing Guild Wars 2.

The thing is, the living store requires very little time per patch. Usually people finish the current content in 30-45 minutes or less.

So yeah, if that’s all free time you have in two weeks, you can’t participate ofc. But then, I doubt that.

The core idea is that everyone can do it (that’s in fact causing problems elsewhere).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Living World

Nat.4029

Look. The Living Story is fine if that’s the direction they want to keep moving. I paid $60 and probably another $40ish on gems, and I can honestly say that I’ve gotten my money’s worth from this game. My problem, as I stated in the OP, is that I get burned out and/or have to take extended breaks from the game due to real life happenings. In the most recent case it was the birth of my son. I like knowing that a developer is adding content to a game and once I come back, I can play it. That’s just what sucks about the LS. Sure I can log on and play whatever is happening at that certain time, but anything before that is just gone. Yes yes….it’s a living world…and it’s like real life. That’s all well and good. I’m just telling you what I like in a video game, and what I like is that they are an ESCAPE from real life.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Palador.2170

How am I missing the point? Instead of behaving like that why not explain the point you are trying to make? Because from my point of view your posts basically says that they should cater specifically to you.

I believe he wants them to state clearly what kind of direction they’re going in, so he can make an informed decision as to if this game is for him or not.

If it continues to be PvC, he’s better off leaving and letting those that enjoy that have their fun.

in Living World

Palador.2170

The thing is, the living store requires very little time per patch. Usually people finish the current content in 30-45 minutes or less.

I don’t.

I don’t like to look up spoilers and guides until I’ve given something a fair try. I like to take my time and look around. I like to be casual and play at my own pace. I also work very long hours (12+) on the days I work, meaning that on a lot of days I can’t really play any at all.

This was supposed to be a casual-friendly game. Measuring based on how fast a dedicated player can rush through content isn’t a fair standard.

It’s a game. Not a job. Not a race.

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I don’t.

I don’t like to look up spoilers and guides until I’ve given something a fair try. I like to take my time and look around. I like to be casual and play at my own pace. I also work very long hours (12+) on the days I work, meaning that on a lot of days I can’t really play any at all.

This was supposed to be a casual-friendly game. Measuring based on how fast a dedicated player can rush through content isn’t a fair standard.

It’s a game. Not a job. Not a race.

Well it’s a good thing they give you 2+ weeks every time.

Also, every restriction you just listed is self-imposed. If you don’t like to look things up, then it’s going to take you longer to complete the content. If you can’t play the game that much because of your job, well, obviously your job is more important to you than playing GW2. And it should be. But that’s not ANet’s problem.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Living World

Palador.2170

Also, every restriction you just listed is self-imposed. If you don’t like to look things up, then it’s going to take you longer to complete the content. If you can’t play the game that much because of your job, well, obviously your job is more important to you than playing GW2. And it should be. But that’s not ANet’s problem.

Tell me, how fast can you eat a chocolate cake? And I mean the ENTIRE chocolate cake? 20 minutes? 25?

Most people can’t answer that right off the top of their head, because they’ve never tried it before. Yes, chocolate cake is yummy, but most people prefer to enjoy it a bit at a time, rather than cramming it into their mouth as fast as they can.

With that in mind, why do some people seem to feel that looking up guides on Dulfy and cramming through new content as fast as possible is somehow a virtue? Do they even enjoy the content, or are they simply getting a fix of “click buttons fast, get rewards”?

I realize I won’t change your mind, nor am I really trying to. The reply is more for the other people reading this thread, so they can at least see my reasoning.

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Look. The Living Story is fine if that’s the direction they want to keep moving. I paid $60 and probably another $40ish on gems, and I can honestly say that I’ve gotten my money’s worth from this game. My problem, as I stated in the OP, is that I get burned out and/or have to take extended breaks from the game due to real life happenings. In the most recent case it was the birth of my son. I like knowing that a developer is adding content to a game and once I come back, I can play it. That’s just what sucks about the LS. Sure I can log on and play whatever is happening at that certain time, but anything before that is just gone. Yes yes….it’s a living world…and it’s like real life. That’s all well and good. I’m just telling you what I like in a video game, and what I like is that they are an ESCAPE from real life.

In this thread I have argued alot about the stuff/loots/uniqe that you get for almost each part of the LS.
But what I may have missed to say is that I am totally for a way for new players and players who have missed content to re-play the LS as an un-rewarded Instance. They should be able to play solo or in a group just like the personal story and rewards could be handed out in the end of the instance just like personal stories. But the stuff like, Blade shards, blueprints, Gasmask, Holo-Wings, Dreamcather, Scarlets Kiss/Rainbow and more should not be rewarded since this is something those who was online during these special events can be proud of.
This game has no monthly fee and how would it look if all players took a break for a year (I can always return in a year and do everything) then the game would fall and there wouldn’t be a game to come back to. So I think that by having one time events and espacially uniqe stuff to get during them is good for the game, since most people will be back every two weeks and buy stuff and give Anet/NCsoft money so the game can grow.

I think somewhere in a thread far far away there was a statement from a Dev that they will be working for a way for players who have missed the LS to atleast get a re-cap of it. In the end of LS1 they did this but I don’t think their work is done yet.

in Living World

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Tell me, how fast can you eat a chocolate cake? And I mean the ENTIRE chocolate cake? 20 minutes? 25?

Most people can’t answer that right off the top of their head, because they’ve never tried it before. Yes, chocolate cake is yummy, but most people prefer to enjoy it a bit at a time, rather than cramming it into their mouth as fast as they can.

With that in mind, why do some people seem to feel that looking up guides on Dulfy and cramming through new content as fast as possible is somehow a virtue? Do they even enjoy the content, or are they simply getting a fix of “click buttons fast, get rewards”?

I realize I won’t change your mind, nor am I really trying to. The reply is more for the other people reading this thread, so they can at least see my reasoning.

There has only been a few parts in the LS where it has been hard to find stuff without a guide like when we had to look for the dragon stuff during Tequatil update.
I also think you are overreacting abit. You compare GW2 LS with a Chocolate bar… Well you actually can’t wait too long to eat your chocolate, it do have an expire date. Just becouse the LS will end someday does not mean you have to stuff your face with it in an hour.

I have friends who has work and have kids and do activites and lot’s of other stuff. They play every weekend for about 2-3 hours and they have almost every LS content and have seen all the story exept the ending of the Aetherblade retreat story. Now they don’t even care much for the LS, they just play and enjoy the game. It is just that I want them to not miss out on the things so I always drag them along when we are online at the same time. And never have we fealt the need to rush trough the content.
Achievements is least important since it goes away, it does not save the Achievements you missed and there are always several achievements to compleate to achieve the Meta wich almost always award you with a special item.

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Honestly, the first time that I took a break from GW2, when I logged back, I was so lost about the story that I ended quitting again.
Tried again some time later… Lion arch’s was a battlefield. Again I was totally lost. Quitted again.
And ended forgetting about the game.

Only with the news of the end of the Season 1 and thanks to the news on the Kasjory front is that I came back again.
My first through on the end of the Season 1 was “It’s the end of the temporary content against the clock? Nice! I can play again!!”.

With the annoucenment of the Season 2 I’m on the fence. If the rumors are true I can keep playing without worries. If they keep the same model… well, probably I will end quitting again. I hate being pressured to play. I just want to relax playing games, I have enough stress already.

For now, I’m refraining for spending money in this, until anet gives a clear response about their future plans on content.

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Why should ArenaNet cater to the player-base that DON’T actively play their game though? Wouldn’t it be much more logical to cater to those that actually play the game at least a few times a week?

This is a flawed argument. Arenanet’s goal has to be to retain players over the long term. Most MMO players nowadays are like the OP due to a saturated market – they aren’t going to play the game every day for years on end.

An over-emphasis on temporary content causes these players to ditch the game forever as they fall behind in the story and there’s nothing new to entice them back.

in Living World

Bob F It.5701

This is a flawed argument. Arenanet’s goal has to be to retain players over the long term. Most MMO players nowadays are like the OP due to a saturated market – they aren’t going to play the game every day for years on end.

An over-emphasis on temporary content causes these players to ditch the game forever as they fall behind in the story and there’s nothing new to entice them back.

It’s also ideal if ANet can attract new players to the game, including those who have been on the fence. There was a thread a while back from some of the chinese players asking where their shot at LS season 1 was (I think the answer was down the Mystic Toilet).

Before someone says that having temporary content encourages players to stay and play constantly, let say that encourage is the wrong word there. It’s more like blackmail. LS up until now has presented itself as a take it or leave it proposition; if you drop out at any time, your experience is going to suffer. And I know at least one player who has left it.

Add to the end " -bmp"

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

This is rather amazing actually. People are complaining about not being able to fully experience the Living Story. Probably the most hated thing ever to happen to the game. Well it’s worth a few chuckles.

I agree with lordkrall by the way. In fact, having a few weeks to experience every part of the living story was already extremely kind from an MMO point of view. You actually have to spend a ridiculously small amount of time at this game to get the full experience. All the time wasting goes into grinding achievements and getting spiffy rewards. Calling this blackmail is just laughable.

Basically every update they sent you a mail with the darn story instance shoved in your face. There was mostly absolutely no exploring or searching to be done to follow the story. You could in fact follow up on everything by spending 30 minutes every two weeks.

It’s understandable if you didn’t want to do that because you didn’t feel like it. However you made that choice and I personally don’t think you should complain about it now. Sometimes you just can’t have everything, game or not. If you truly wanted to follow the story, there are plenty of means to catch up, from wiki’s to youtube guides and whatnot.

But that’s not the real issue here. This is about getting everything catered to you with minimal effort and dedication. Or at least that is the message I too am getting out of this.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

rincewind.9528

This is rather amazing actually. People are complaining about not being able to fully experience the Living Story. Probably the most hated thing ever to happen to the game. Well it’s worth a few chuckles.

I agree with lordkrall by the way. In fact, having a few weeks to experience every part of the living story was already extremely kind from an MMO point of view. You actually have to spend a ridiculously small amount of time at this game to get the full experience. All the time wasting goes into grinding achievements and getting spiffy rewards. Calling this blackmail is just laughable.

Basically every update they sent you a mail with the darn story instance shoved in your face. There was mostly absolutely no exploring or searching to be done to follow the story. You could in fact follow up on everything by spending 30 minutes every two weeks.

It’s understandable if you didn’t want to do that because you didn’t feel like it. However you made that choice and I personally don’t think you should complain about it now. Sometimes you just can’t have everything, game or not. If you truly wanted to follow the story, there are plenty of means to catch up, from wiki’s to youtube guides and whatnot.

But that’s not the real issue here. This is about getting everything catered to you with minimal effort and dedication. Or at least that is the message I too am getting out of this.

Yeah, being forced to play everytime or risking missing content is totally not like blackmail. Not at all. Not pressure at all. Wink. Wink.

And if I gonna read the story or watch it on Youtube… what’s the point in playing the game then? I missed the story. I missed the events. I missed the content. I missed the nice things.
It’s wiser to go and play a MMORPG that is less unforgiving with the idea of taking breaks here and there.
After all I started playing GW because I was told that was more friendly, casual and generally nicer that other MMORPGs.

The point is… will be season 2 like the first one? What I should do then? Without confirmation I can’t make a rational choice here.

in Living World

Bob F It.5701

… Sometimes you just can’t have everything, game or not. If you truly wanted to follow the story, there are plenty of means to catch up, from wiki’s to youtube guides and whatnot.

Oh for kitten’s sake.

Read #13 on this, closely related. Once again I get to hear that the best way to experience the game’s story is to turn the game off.

Living Story was creating a problem for itself; if you jump in halfway through, what you’re presented with is a half baked in media res, except that actual in media res would bring the player up to speed with what’s happening. Living Story just didn’t give a flying kitten. If I have to go outside the medium to learn the story, it’s a poorly presented story.

Add to the end " -bmp"

in Living World

Nat.4029

" You’re no longer limited to completing the episode during its two-week release window. This means that going forward, all of the content and all of the rewards for Living World will be permanent."

:) Thank you Arenanet. /thread

Valar Morghulis

(edited by Nat.4029)

in Living World

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

Don’t worry, people will now complain about the 200 gems per episode if they miss the LS content when it’s current.

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I said my piece, I don’t expect anyone to agree with me.
Luckily it seems season two will be avoiding such drama with their new system. No more “blackmail”, wink wink

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Don’t worry, people will now complain about the 200 gems per episode if they miss the LS content when it’s current.

About 100x better than it was before. The solution they came up with deals with two problems at once, those who want temporary content to be something special during its duration (in this case, they unlock the episode and a head-start at its rewards for free) and those who can’t make those couple of weeks or months (mind you, 200 gems an episode isn’t nearly as bad as it could have been).

I think we just saw an actual solution to the dilemma that was plaguing everyone for quite some time now, thank god.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in Living World

Nat.4029

You won’t hear it from me. I’ve got no problem logging in for a few minutes to unlock something. I just don’t always have time to dive into the content. But now, all I’ll have to do (barring some kind of crazy emergency) is log in, unlock, and then I can play it whenever I like. Very nice work, Anet.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

At OP log in once every two weeks and your good starting July first. They said they would add season 1 later so hopefully they will do the right thing and give everyone that free.

-Ironcurtain

in Living World

rincewind.9528

Woah, the new system looks amazing!!

Hopefuly they will implement the season one to the system.
I’m totally paying for playing the parts that I missed.

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Woah, the new system looks amazing!!

Hopefuly they will implement the season one to the system.
I’m totally paying for playing the parts that I missed.

Well lets hope so. It all really depends on what shape the new LW content will take which in turn influences how difficult it will be to adapt the S1 content.
However if players go on about it long enough I’m sure ANet will deliver.

in Living World

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You do realized that in order to not need to pay for anything you just need to log 2 times per month, and you don’t even need to actually play, just log and that is it, right?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Living World

Posted by: Lucretia.8507

Lucretia.8507

Not sure if anyone has already said this, but you don’t have to keep playing GW2, you only have to log in ONCE during the two week periods and you will have the episode unlocked forever. If that’s just too much trouble for you then I don’t know what to say, pay the 200 gems and stop complaining.

Turnip ~ altaholic
[PVP] Fort Aspenwood

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m sorry you can’t find the 2 mins it takes to log in to get the content for FREE. Sucks to be you. But with that said. I’ve not played WoW since cat. And if I started to play that again it would cost me around £60-70 pulse sub. So guild wars 2 is the cheaper option.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Nat.4029

I’m sorry you can’t find the 2 mins it takes to log in to get the content for FREE. Sucks to be you. But with that said. I’ve not played WoW since cat. And if I started to play that again it would cost me around £60-70 pulse sub. So guild wars 2 is the cheaper option.

I’m sorry that you can’t look to see when a thread was posted….

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Nat.4029

Not sure if anyone has already said this, but you don’t have to keep playing GW2, you only have to log in ONCE during the two week periods and you will have the episode unlocked forever. If that’s just too much trouble for you then I don’t know what to say, pay the 200 gems and stop complaining.

Once again…this thread wasn’t posted this morning after the announcement was made. It was posted 7 days ago. Come on people….

Valar Morghulis

(edited by Nat.4029)

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Well looks like you where complaining for nothing then. Funny. I didn’t know I had to check every active thread for when it was stared. Sorry if you feel like you QQ for no good resin. Now would you like a hug?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Nat.4029

Well looks like you where complaining for nothing then. Funny. I didn’t know I had to check every active thread for when it was stared. Sorry if you feel like you QQ for no good resin. Now would you like a hug?

I’ve never been happier to be wrong. As stated above. A hug from the Lord of Lies? No thanks.

Valar Morghulis

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The new system looks absolutely fantastic! I think that if players who missed out on logging in during the two week period can still access the content by partying up with someone who has, it would be absolutely perfect.