Dry Top chests and keys

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

This topic isn’t about the chests in Dry Top specifically, but the idea behind them and why I think they’d work in every zone. If region specific chests, with associated keys, were used instead of the static chests we have now I think it would benefit everyone. It would provide explorers something to look for, the rewards could be upped since they’d appear randomly and thus be harder to find, and the keys could provide an ongoing gold sink. It worked well enough in Guild Wars, and it seems to be working well enough in Dry Top so far (though the chests are a bit ubiquitous for the rewards to be too good).

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

so you buy bag space with gems to be able to hold all the keys you need, or just give up and never open a chest again?

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t like these Dry Top chests.

It’s a two-step process that makes the whole event more of a chore than rewarding.

They reward you with an item, but not only do you have to find the item, but it’s only available to you during a designated time frame.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

yeah i dont specific area chests in gw1 they tried that then had to introduce lockpicks cause you had to have so many different keys if you wanted to open chests. i hate the dry top chests too i got soo many keys now but only found two chests so far the sandstorm ends then i have to wait so long again to look again

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I don’t understand what you guys are complaining about, the keys are easy to get and the chests are even eaiser to find, and the loot is actually decent, already had a few ascended recipes on top of everything else in them. Really how easy do you want it? this is Guild wars 2 after all, but yeah always people complain no matter how easy loot is.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I like the idea for the chests in Dry Top. It is a seudo time gate? I think it adds a bit of artificial longevity in the map as you can’t have 20 lock picks and burn them all in an hour as you find all the chests. Time frame adds a little suspense and makes the journey to getting the chest rewarding(i think obsidian planes in Asheron’s Call)

Hopefully they try other ideas in future maps as one method won’t appeal to all. They need to make the journey to the chest fun as unless you get a really lucky drop the items are only going to be subpar or salvage fodder.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Was never fond of this mechanic in GW1…..I never seemed to have the right key on the right character when a chest became available….very frustrating.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

inb4 gemstore lockpicks

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

If you got the lockpicks all you have to do is run around and hold CTL to spot the chests. Then you have to get to them. Not really that hard. I got some very nice recipes out of those chests.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

If you got the lockpicks all you have to do is run around and hold CTL to spot the chests. Then you have to get to them. Not really that hard. I got some very nice recipes out of those chests.

I’ve got a few recipes, but nothing notable so far. Though, I have got plenty of Emp Frags which, is what I’ve been needing badly since I don’t run dungeons. The other loot I get from them is good enough to keep me running around doing the events.

I like it, personally this way.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I like the chests. Keys are easy to come by ( I have found ~20 so far) and you just run around and open them whenever a sandstorm hits. I can usually find about 5 per sandstorm in about 5 minutes.

I would enjoy a return of the lockpick idea from GW1. It is a good alternate way to get ascended mats as well.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I enjoy the Lockpick/Buried Chest mechanic. They are easy to find, and who doesn’t like opening chests?! Lol.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Err, I don’t like running around in a jumping puzzle sandstorm where I can’t see kitten-all and I’m quite likely to walk off a cliff if I did any of the jumps. I’m not enjoying this, and I’m not getting kitten-all from the chests I have opened.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I’ve got a few recipes, but nothing notable so far. Though, I have got plenty of Emp Frags which, is what I’ve been needing badly since I don’t run dungeons. The other loot I get from them is good enough to keep me running around doing the events.

I like it, personally this way.

I got an ascended recipe from one of those chests so pretty happy overall.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

I enjoy the Lockpick/Buried Chest mechanic. They are easy to find, and who doesn’t like opening chests?! Lol.

its not the opening thing its the more that they could introduce a key chest thing in more areas that i dont like. i dont want to have to carry a bunch of keys around on my chars when im in certain areas or have to go to storage to change what keys i have when i want to go to another area. that happened in gw1 and we complained so they made lockpicks but seeing that a conveince i could see that as a gem thing

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Xerion.8014

Xerion.8014

GW1 Lockpicks, it worked great.

Xerion The Fierced – #1 Ranger Extraordinary
“Beautiful, talented and unique.”
Velocity [VcY] – Somewhere roaming on Far Shiverpeaks

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I like the chests. Keys are easy to come by ( I have found ~20 so far) …

how? in 2 nights I’ve seen ONE lockpick.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I also like them.

I had gotten like 8 keys simply by doing the story and getting the rewards from that. The achievements give a lot of keys as well, though I’ve not really done much of those so far.

Then you can also trade in all those geodes at the vendor to buy more if you like. Remember to go through all of your piles of sand to get more geodes also.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I also like them.

I had gotten like 8 keys simply by doing the story and getting the rewards from that. The achievements give a lot of keys as well, though I’ve not really done much of those so far.

Then you can also trade in all those geodes at the vendor to buy more if you like. Remember to go through all of your piles of sand to get more geodes also.

OK, that was it – I hadn’t progressed too far in the story line hwen I posted above – yah, came out of it with about 9 – 12 keys (forget precisely). Much better about lockpicks than farming dust bunnies.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

its not the opening thing its the more that they could introduce a key chest thing in more areas that i dont like. i dont want to have to carry a bunch of keys around on my chars when im in certain areas or have to go to storage to change what keys i have when i want to go to another area. that happened in gw1 and we complained so they made lockpicks but seeing that a conveince i could see that as a gem thing

Not really a lot different from gathering tools. Some of my characters have Gem Store Unlimited tools, and some carry around all the different level tools. /shrug

I have plenty of space on my characters, and I don’t even have extra bag slots or mostly 18-slot bags.

To me, more chests to search for and open would be a great thing. Especially since we no longer get Dye drops, which was one of my favorite Open-world kind of loot.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Once you’ve burned through the keys from the story mode, where do you get more? Are you just getting them from sand piles? Or from buying them? It seems like such a waste to buy the keys with geodes, since there are so many geode things to buy that cost a ton of them. It’s kid of like buying Black Lion keys, I don’t mind RNG when it’s drops, but I hate having to pay to pull the handle.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The only places people really hunted chests in GW were in the harder areas with high level drops, such as FoW, Ttombs, and the Jade Sea/Archipelagos.

I like these Dry Top chests because they’re not up all the time and only appear during the sandstorm, which brings along a slew of new enemies making free exploration a bit harder than normal.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I don’t understand what you guys are complaining about, the keys are easy to get and the chests are even eaiser to find, and the loot is actually decent, already had a few ascended recipes on top of everything else in them. Really how easy do you want it? this is Guild wars 2 after all, but yeah always people complain no matter how easy loot is.

Well you must have one of those lucky accounts, cause I’ve gotten maybe 1 ascended recipe and 1 of the new helms out of 20-25 chests. And getting lockpicks isn’t that easy (unless you trade the geodes for them). I think out of probably at least 2 (possibly 3) stacks of the sand, I’ve gotten maybe 2 lockpicks and maybe another 1 or two from drops and thats with probably 3 days of farming the new area (two at 8ish hours and another at probably 4 due to no t4 taxis) at tier 4.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You have to grind for geodes and sand to get lockpicks, or do the achievements for Season 2.

I’m not a fan of this gated content. Grind → Geodes → Keys → Chests → RNG → Random Item.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

A Key Ring, either in the form of a bag to be slotted or in the same vein as the currency wallet, could be an easy way to allow all your characters access to you keys.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

The thing I don’t like is it’s the usual dumptruck of crappy armor that we trash compact everywhere else too.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

The key space problem can be easily solved, just like dungeon token issue. A simple tab in a hero panel called… let’s say “keyring”. Problem solved.

Perhaps there could be added different mechanics for obtaining keys in different areas as well?

EDIT: Ah nevermind me, I read up and saw others had the exact same idea.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I like the chests in dry top. But is it just me or are they getting harder to find? The first few days I could find about 5-6 a run. Now I’m lucky if I find 2. They also don’t seem to spawn in the same places or are the spawns random?

In GW1 chests would spawn randomly on the map, but they would always be in a set location. So you wouldn’t have to worry about it spawning somewhere you couldn’t get too.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I also like them.

OK, that was it – I hadn’t progressed too far in the story line hwen I posted above – yah, came out of it with about 9 – 12 keys (forget precisely). Much better about lockpicks than farming dust bunnies.

I am not so sure about that. I’ve gotten 2 charged lodestones and 2 onyx lodestones from the dust mites. That should be enough gold to buy all the exotic nomad recipes except the ones for heavy armor. On the other hand I’ve gotten a total of two recipes from the chests after using all the keys from 2 characters plus some from the piles of sand and some bought with geodes.

Finding the chests is trivial since their locations are static. Someone (maybe Dulfy) might even have a map with an optimized route to check all locations with minimal backtracking.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You guys remember how much you “liked” this when you have to keep up with half a dozen different keys on each character…..or the need to purchase a gem store supplied “keyring” for each toon.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I also like them.

I am not so sure about that. I’ve gotten 2 charged lodestones and 2 onyx lodestones from the dust mites. That should be enough gold to buy all the exotic nomad recipes except the ones for heavy armor. On the other hand I’ve gotten a total of two recipes from the chests after using all the keys from 2 characters plus some from the piles of sand and some bought with geodes.

Finding the chests is trivial since their locations are static. Someone (maybe Dulfy) might even have a map with an optimized route to check all locations with minimal backtracking.

Well you must have one of those lucky accounts, cause I’ve gotten maybe 1 ascended recipe and 1 of the new helms out of 20-25 chests. And getting lockpicks isn’t that easy (unless you trade the geodes for them). I think out of probably at least 2 (possibly 3) stacks of the sand, I’ve gotten maybe 2 lockpicks and maybe another 1 or two from drops and thats with probably 3 days of farming the new area (two at 8ish hours and another at probably 4 due to no t4 taxis) at tier 4.

Maybe lucky or maybe not. Details are important.
There was someone in LA mapchat saying something similar about legendaries and how they got all of them just playing the game. Why are people complaining? Sounds vaguely similar here. The detail I left out? “playing 15-18 hours a day”.

I like the chests in dry top. But is it just me or are they getting harder to find? The first few days I could find about 5-6 a run. Now I’m lucky if I find 2. They also don’t seem to spawn in the same places or are the spawns random?

In GW1 chests would spawn randomly on the map, but they would always be in a set location. So you wouldn’t have to worry about it spawning somewhere you couldn’t get too.

It’s the same here. Spawn points I can name off the top of my head
near toska in the mine
near the sun crystal on the opposite side of the quicksand near the mine entrance
on top of the rock near the tent
in the cave with the veteran boar
… there are about 10 other locations I can think of but that would require too much typing and another 2 or 3 locations I am not entirely sure I am remembering correctly.

The number of chests per sandstorm might also be randomized in addition to the randomly choose spawn points.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Was never fond of this mechanic in GW1…..I never seemed to have the right key on the right character when a chest became available….very frustrating.

I definitely would NOT like chests in the rest of the world if you needed a bunch of different keys. I don’t want the aggravation above and I don’t want to clog up my inventory with a bunch of different keys.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It’s an interesting idea, OP, although it would practically lead to us having to grind zones for keys, unless there’s nothing unique about the zone chest in which case the system is just making things unnecessarily difficult with no added reward.

yeah i dont specific area chests in gw1 they tried that then had to introduce lockpicks cause you had to have so many different keys if you wanted to open chests. i hate the dry top chests too i got soo many keys now but only found two chests so far the sandstorm ends then i have to wait so long again to look again

I have the opposite problem myself, no keys and I keep falling over chests.

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Sounds like you have a lucky account too, to me. Only unusual drop I’ve had out of 44 chests was a rare recipe, and I’m still making some nice coinage with all the mats and stuff they drop. Plus they drop lockpicks fairly often, so it’s nicely self-sustaining. I’ve only had to buy six picks so far, and at tier 3 prices. And I don’t even have time to farm!

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Dry Top chests and keys

in Living World

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

I really wish they’d better the world chests.
They DO exist.. but there are very, very few of them.. and the rewards are like 99% blue items.

Finding a chest while travelling on Gw1 and using your trusty lockpicks was something I found very entertaining.

It’s a shame the equivalent on Gw2 is extremely disappointing.