Dwarfes

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Kurrilino, please stop claiming that everyone who disagrees with you is a teenager with no interest in the lore. Those who are arguing against you are very much concerned about the lore, which is why they are trying to correct your faulty understanding of it.

On an unrelated note, if you are going to insult peoples’ intelligence, kindly work on your grammar, s;pelling, punctuation, and language usage first. Thanks.

…What is this s;pelling you speak of?

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: Raeysa Penrose.8450

Raeysa Penrose.8450

i have a hard time taking someone serious who spams the " everywhere, it only shows the ridicule more then anything.

I concur. It’s a bit of a headache.

Fear not this night
curse my dependence on sleep for survival!

Dwarfes

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

; Its just how he formats his posts.
; And I am assuming that English is not his native language.
; If its readable, it should be good enough right?

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Raeysa Penrose.8450

Kurrilino, please stop claiming that everyone who disagrees with you is a teenager with no interest in the lore. Those who are arguing against you are very much concerned about the lore, which is why they are trying to correct your faulty understanding of it.

On an unrelated note, if you are going to insult peoples’ intelligence, kindly work on your grammar, s;pelling, punctuation, and language usage first. Thanks.

Fixed, thanks.

I don’t make a habit of bugging people for their competence with the English language. The issue is that he’s making a habit of insulting other peoples’ intelligence. If you’re going to assume a position of superiority, you ought to demonstrate it properly.

Fear not this night

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Fixed, thanks.

I don’t make a habit of bugging people for their competence with the English language. The issue is that he’s making a habit of insulting other peoples’ intelligence. If you’re going to assume a position of superiority, you ought to demonstrate it properly.

Indeed english isn’t my native tongue.
But i managed to learn and speak 5 languages fluid.
For the position of superiority we continue the coversation in latin, shall we ????

The point of this thread actually is that it would be great if A-Net would have filled the gap until China is ready with something exiting and rediscovering a little part of the map.
It just got out of control when these Sci-Fi teens told me the Dwarfs never left Shiverpeaks and how it is absolutely impossible to have living Dwarfs as NPC’s even having the Great Dwarf still around and how they don’t belong into a blade n’ plate fantasy game while Borgs and Star Ships do

(edited by Kurrilino.2706)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The point of this thread actually is that it would be great if A-Net would have filled the gap until China is ready with something exiting and rediscovering a little part of the map.
It just got out of control when these Sci-Fi teens told me the Dwarfs never left Shiverpeaks and how it is absolutely impossible to have living Dwarfs as NPC’s even having the Great Dwarf still around and how they don’t belong into a blade n’ plate fantasy game while Borgs and Star Ships do

But the thing is we are using actual CONFIRMED INFORMATION to base our comments on. You simply assume everything that was said about them during GW1 and GW2 (and between) is incorrect, just because it would fit your world better.

With the same logic we can also start to claim that the Gods are actually Quaggan and the Elder Dragons are their pets and everything we do in the game is actually a story being told at a Hylek school.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Dwarfes

in Living World

Raeysa Penrose.8450

Fixed, thanks.

For the position of superiority we continue the coversation in latin, shall we ????

All I’m saying is that it’s not very polite to assume that everyone who disagrees with you is a teenager with no respect for lore. :P

Fear not this night

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I really don’t understand the obsession with borgs, or where they even came from for this thread. but we’ve told you numerous times, the dwarves will likely be part of the game when we face primordius, and they will be stone. And as for it taking place while there’s the lull in content, 1 it’s a lull in content for a reason, they’re busy and the point was ignored because of that and 2. more released areas deserve some effort

Dwarfes

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

Fixed, thanks.

Pergamus bene latine loqui

Actually, lets not since these are English forums and Anet probably wouldn’t like us speaking in a dead language, and they do like to delete posts that bring that kind of attention to themselves……..

There is a few things that the game doesn’t touch on that even the the game doesn’t actually touch on….. Because, Reasons. That or the pride of the Wiki editors outweighs any form of speculation unless it came out of their mouths, or typed by their fingers.

Here’s the thing. The Dwarves are one of Tyria’s oldest races, they have to of left the Shiverpeaks at some point while they and the other elder races were having a nice big tea party….No wait! I mean WAR against 6 all powerful Elder Dragons. It is entirely possible that they did have settlements all over the world.

There are several problems with seeing any flesh and blood dwarf still alive today though. …..

The 1st problem is that the only Nation of Dwarves that we know of is Deldrimor. Across Tyria, Cantha and Elona, the only other Human nations we know of on the planet, there is no mention of any dwarves aside from the Deldrimor.
(Well, that’s not really a problem, since there is a lot of Tyria that is unexplored/ yet to be fleshed out by Anet. It is still possible that there is another Nation of Dwarves out there, well…..)

The 2nd problem is that there might not be another nation of Dwarves. We know where the Char and Norn come from, and its a pretty small area of the globe, just like the Dwarves in the Shiverpeaks. Its possible that they never bothered to make maps or leave their home. The Sylvari(as we currently know them) only exist in one tiny area.
(Again, you could argue against this because the Dwarves had a 10,000 year head start over all of them. The other thing is that the most widespread races in Tyria that we know of are Humans and possible also the Asura, Tengu and Centaurs.

I say Centaurs because there were tribes in Kryta, the Maguuma Jungle, the Shiverpeaks, the Crystal Desert, as well as Elona. We know of only 3 tribes in GW2 currently, and that is sure to expand.

I say Asura because in GW1, they had Asura gates that went freaking everywhere. While the Asura do have a capitol city (Rata Sum), do we really know that they aren’t exploring far off locations?

I say Tengu because they have tribes from all over the place, just like the Centaurs. Of course, we can also make arguments for the Quaggans, and especially the Hylek, because there is a very similar race of Heket in Elona, and I’m pretty sure they are the same race (and that there is a direct quote from Anet that confirms that).

Any of those races could easily outnumber the others. My point here in how it relates to the dwarves is that it is possible that in 10,000 years, they got around, and had settlements and outposts elsewhere.)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

The 3rd, and biggest problem, is that, after the Dwarves transformed into Stone, it was revealed that they have a collective consciousness. This is really interesting because it means that the Dwarves are literally a Hive mind. They are a Super Organism like an ant hill or a bee hive (at least in thought)(and much like the Borg those hip sci-fi teens are talking about.)

In a Hive mind, there is no individuality, you will do what the collective says. When the wiki says that eventually all dwarves were forced to undergo the rite, that is what it means. The collective decided that it would be more beneficial to them to hunt down and force al the dwarves to become living stone.

The flesh dwarves are all gone because the collective said so. and If Deldrimor knew where the other Dwarven kingdoms and outposts were if they existed, Deldrimor would have sent the much stronger stone dwarves to take them out and force them to convert to stone.

This does raise some very interesting questions about what the actual origins of the dwarves were……(that will never get answered)(My crazy theory, the Great Dwarf was once an actual sentient mountain that split itself apart and turned itself to flesh and blood to avoid getting corrupted and turned into Destroyers by Primordus. The rite of the great dwarf was a way to turn its many parts back to stone after it multiplied, and it now had the force of a thousand mountains instead of just one……okay that got weird fast…..)

….the Problem is, if the dwarves were as united as humans were, they would know where all the individual dwarven nations and outposts were, and the Stone collective mind of the dwarves would have forced their now weaker flesh and blood cousins to undergo the rite, meaning, no more Dwarves.

Now that that’s out of the way for now, the reason why there was no living world updates between the end of season 1 and now is that Anet want’s to synchronize the living world releases so that each new release is done at the same time everywhere in the world. The problem with just giving us something while they were working on China, was that this would cause the release schedule to no longer be synchronized. We would be enjoying reading about the origins of the dwarves and learning that Anvil Rock was actually a sentient mountains or some weird stuff, while the game just came out in China, and they wouldn’t have this release to enjoy because Anet was too busy getting china bugs worked out to actually add anything new. You got to remember that there are two separate versions of the game that both have to be worked on : China, and everyone else (unless they really want to release a North Korean version with a special guest appearance on Kim Jong Un riding a unicorn killing all the elder dragons before Trahearne gets the chance to take credit for himself.)

Personally, I’m glad the release schedule is now in sync, because this means (baring the game getting released in yet another new country) that everyone in the world gets to enjoy the living world at the same time instead of having to wait for it.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Ree: All of the dwarves eventually participated in the ritual.

The thread should have pretty much ended with this official statement right here.

I refuse to close the door on Dwarfs coming back just because people are use to Borgs with laser guns.

Once they add Borgs with laser guns, you’ll have something that starts to resemble the tiniest beginning of an argument. Until then, you’re just tilting at windmills.

…dumbing the game down…

Which is exactly what you get when you try to add something super generic and ubiquitous back into a fantasy game. Making GW2 closer to every copycat tolkien-clone is “dumbing it down” more than doing something new and original. I read your original post as “GW2 is not generic and bland enough. Please add this element to make it less unique and more like a million other franchises.”

What’s next? Elves and hobbits?

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

@Chrispy thanks for being bothered to type everything out into a nice big block. it’s handy to have everything that’s been covered already put out in depth. (this is not sarcasm, I feel like it could be read as sarcasm, but it’s not!)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The biggest problem here is people like Kurrilino assuming it’s just so easy to “open” up a map for us to explore.

The whole team at ANet worked hard to do living story season/chapter 1 and right at the end they had to work to release the entire game in a new region. No where in their busy schedules did they have time to release anything new besides the WvW Tournament. Heaven forbid they take a little bit of a breather so they could look back at the first part of living story, see what worked, what didn’t so they can work to make Season 2 so very much better.

(Also Dwarf = 1; Dwarves = more than 1 Dwarf)

Dwarfes

in Living World

Chrispy.5641

@Chrispy thanks for being bothered to type everything out into a nice big block. it’s handy to have everything that’s been covered already put out in depth. (this is not sarcasm, I feel like it could be read as sarcasm, but it’s not!)

Just had to put it in a slightly different perspective. And besides, the second paragraph on my post was nothing but sarcasm!

(Also Dwarf = 1; Dwarves = more than 1 Dwarf)

Not trying to correct you because you are not wrong. The Plural form of Dwarf is Dwarves, just like how the plural of the word Scarf is Scarves, though the plural of the word Scarf can also be scarfs

While Dwarfes is incorrect, The plural can also be Dwarfs, as that was the original ‘correct’ spelling, until Tolkien became popular, then everyone started copying him, and spelling it Dwarves, though there were earlier people that spelled it that way as well.

It was either spelled Dwarves, probably to sound similar to Elves, Tolkien believed it actually was the proper spelling, or it was a mistake that he had too much pride to get corrected. We’ll probably never know.

But, Anet does use the Dwarves spelling, and inherited a long line of ripping someone else off……So, yeah, the word Dwarves exists the way it does in Guild Wars 2 because it describes the relationship between (Tolkien’s) English spelling of Dwarves and Elves, even though Elves don’t even exist on Tyria.

And there is no rules saying how to use either word. You can refer to a bunch of short people as Dwarves (and be looked down on just as much as if you used Dwarfs), and Dwarfs is used to describe them in fantasy just as much as Dwarves.