Epilepsy Warning During Scarlet Fight!!

in Living World

Posted by: Marethyu.1358

Marethyu.1358

The sigil of fire flame blast animation is proportional to the NPCs size. The hologram is big enough for the flame blast animation to cover the whole battle field and your screen. When there are many people in the zerg making use of this rune, the flames will flash on and off frequently. Please be cautious during the fight and try your best to refrain from using sigil of fire weapons.

Marethyu

(edited by Marethyu.1358)

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

You make a very good point, I was actually thinking this myself during the fight, quite a lot of effects and things were making a lot of unnecessary flickering, even the holograms kept flicking in and out for me.

Not at all healthy or considerate towards those with epilepsy.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I thought that you were supposed to see a doctor before you were allowed to play any video games? What has changed over the past decade or so?

in Living World

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Just do it like me and play without looking at the screen.

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Their are many forms of epilepsy, and if you have it at all you would likely already know if you could use a computer or not. Technology has advanced over the years, modern computers with higher frame rates, better lighting and picture quality are much less problematic for epileptics compared to very old CRT monitors of years past.

Many photosensitive epileptics can play games, so long as games do not flash images at them constantly, they take breaks and do not play when tired.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Hello! Friendly neighbourhood photosensitive epileptic here (although there could be more of us). *waves*

Cheers for the heads up, OP. I was considering giving this part of the update a run through today (did the story last night), but will give it a miss. I’ll get my achievements elsewhere.

And believe it or not, yes! Us PSE types can play games. And as Aedelric says, modern flat screen monitors have helped with this (the old school type was death on a desk, same for TVs). But it is why I have bother sometimes noticing when things are occuring in fights, such as at the notorious Temple of Dwayna, and why bouncing camera angles aren’t always so fun (think jumping puzzles). The marionette was also a bucketful of laughs.

You know what’s worse? Sunlight. I kid you not. Now that’s had me in bother more than a computer (admittedly the computer related incident was more infamous).

EDIT! I don’t expect explicit consideration in game design, btw! I quite accept there’s some things I’ll never do or see, and I’ll read about it instead (when they banned me from computer use years ago in school, I learned about spreadsheets from the manual. Never actually made one, though). I’m okay with that. What I do appreciate more is something like this thread appearing, just to say there may be an issue. I can take it from there.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

in Living World

Ceridwen.6703

Oh, and point to note? Any one can have seizures playing a game, not just those who are diagnosed. Keep your workstations healthy, people, and ensure you take regular breaks!

in Living World

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Oh, and point to note? Any one can have seizures playing a game, not just those who are diagnosed. Keep your workstations healthy, people, and ensure you take regular breaks!

And keep big cats off desks and laps so ya don’t have to bob and weave to see your screen like I constantly have to do!

/hugs for Ceri and her darling kitty

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

in Living World

Ceridwen.6703

And keep big cats off desks and laps so ya don’t have to bob and weave to see your screen like I constantly have to do!

/hugs for Ceri and her darling kitty

Awww, cheers m’dears.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I suggested playing with eyes (or one eye) closed: it was a real suggestion. One I hate to suggest, but one that has served me well.

I wish Anet would do something about flashing lights, I’ve been mentioning some issues since beta but they don’t change them. Things such as an enemy flashing each time you hit them, or skill effects that take the whole screen.
It was also an issue in Gw1 (for me). In Gw1 I really wanted to play PvP, but since I had to play with my eyes (or one eye) closed, I didn’t want my team to lose because of me. So it was 3 or 4 years before I started playing PvP!

Well, when I say eyes closed, what I really do is turn my head to the left until I don’t see the screen anymore. Yeah, my neck hurts sometimes!

I really do wish Anet would be more careful with flashing lights, but until they do, all we can do is offer suggestions on how to deal.

Edited by Moderator

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Easiest fix.

LET US TURN OFF ALL THE PARTICLE EFFECTS.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Living World

Ceridwen.6703

I suggested playing with eyes (or one eye) closed: it was a real suggestion. One I hate to suggest, but one that has served me well.

I wish Anet would do something about flashing lights, I’ve been mentioning some issues since beta but they don’t change them. Things such as an enemy flashing each time you hit them, or skill effects that take the whole screen.
It was also an issue in Gw1 (for me). In Gw1 I really wanted to play PvP, but since I had to play with my eyes (or one eye) closed, I didn’t want my team to lose because of me. So it was 3 or 4 years before I started playing PvP!

Well, when I say eyes closed, what I really do is turn my head to the left until I don’t see the screen anymore. Yeah, my neck hurts sometimes!

I really do wish Anet would be more careful with flashing lights, but until they do, all we can do is offer suggestions on how to deal.

Edited by Moderator

For me, the one eye thing requires a full cover of one eye (if caught short, usually my hand, which isn’t so great for gaming). An uncovered closed eye does nothing, because the eye lid does not create total blackness. Turning away doesn’t really do it either – I tend to need full pitch darkness to counter it.

But it has been known to work for others and it’s certainly advice I’ve received from doctors before, even if for me it’s not necessarily enough. We know what works for us as individuals, though, right? No harm in mentioning it at all.

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Edited by Moderator

For me, the one eye thing requires a full cover of one eye (usually my hand, which isn’t so great for gaming). An uncovered closed eye does nothing (because the eye lid does not create total blackness. Turning away doesn’t really do it either – I’d literally have to hide in full pitch darkness to counter it.

But it has been known to work for others and it’s certainly advice I’ve received from doctors before, even if for me it’s not necessarily enough. We know what works for us as individuals, though, right? No harm in mentioning it at all.

An eye patch achieves the same level of darkness and is actually pretty darn cheap.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

(edited by Moderator)

in Living World

Ceridwen.6703

An eye patch achieves the same level of darkness and is actually pretty darn cheap.

If the one eye things works for someone, that’s something they can consider!