Escalating difficulty keeping track of story

in Living World

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of story content, in particular, character relationships. The recent recap helped with keeping track of the over all direction, but we desperately need a better system as the details are steadily escaping.
As soon as you miss some character interaction somewhere along the line, it starts compounding and gets harder and harder to follow the details. And unfortunately the wiki doesn’t document it very well.
In my case, Bram and Rox being so chummy chummy with Marjory and Kasmere. I saw their meeting in Kessex Hills, missed some content (IRL stuff), and next thing I know they’re on first name basis hanging out at the bar in DR.
This is rather minor, but it’s growing into a problem (and probably is a rather big problem for new players, or players who take frequent/large breaks). The crux of the issue is that we have no way to verify what’s already happened once that part of the LS is over.

I think the personal story instance system was great (UI tracking of the story included), and feel this should be put in place for the living story. Story information is delivered through instances that you can do at your own pace, as you progress through the steps of the living story (just like with the personal story). Summaries of the events are then documented in their own section of the UI, with related items (Shashoo’s Pearl anyone?) there as well.
You’ve been gone for two months? well unfortunately you missed some content, but so far as the story is concerned you just continue where you left off and catch up with the instances.
Add to this the ability to replay story instances and you’re golden.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do have to agree with this. My girlfriend missed the “A Moment of Peace” instance in LA too due to RL busy-ness, and basically had to rely on the Wiki transcript (thank you so much, whoever put that up!), accompanied by my best impressions of Taimi and the others. XD

I REALLY think that story instances (and all LS instances, really) should be replayable at any time by talking to a Historian NPC (or reading a “Flame & Frost Journal” located in the Home District).

in Living World

Arewn.2368

Historian NPC would work well. Alternatively, some element of the UI that lists all the story steps, then let’s you track (and subsequently enter) what ever step you want.

For example, open your hero panel, go to the story tab and click “The Battle of Fort Trinity”. That story step would then appear at the top right of your screen (the green star thing) and you’d be able to enter the instance. Then just make the same thing available for living story instances.

in Living World

Posted by: Darkoray.4570

Darkoray.4570

Historian NPC would work well. Alternatively, some element of the UI that lists all the story steps, then let’s you track (and subsequently enter) what ever step you want.

For example, open your hero panel, go to the story tab and click “The Battle of Fort Trinity”. That story step would then appear at the top right of your screen (the green star thing) and you’d be able to enter the instance. Then just make the same thing available for living story instances.

I like this idea but how would you implement it? Make it available after the next update when it not available any more?

As I stated in similar thread, I am sure the Asure or another race could come up with a device that could recall memories.

in Living World

Arewn.2368

I like this idea but how would you implement it? Make it available after the next update when it not available any more?

As I stated in similar thread, I am sure the Asure or another race could come up with a device that could recall memories.

Implement it as in story-wise? It doesn’t need some convoluted reason, it could just be a feature made available in the UI.
They could put a tab in your hero panel under story called “Living Story”. It would essentially be the same thing as the current personal story tab, except it would list living story steps instead.
Then just add a “tracking” feature that lets you select a step, and subsequently go to the instance entrance(where ever that may be) for that step.