Expansion Woes....

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

Man, this game could use an expansion right about now, am I right?

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

webtoehobbit.4201

While I’m on this topic, does anyone know if a petition expressing a want for an expansion for Guild Wars 2 exists? Cause I would sign one in a heartbeat!

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

While I’m on this topic, does anyone know if a petition expressing a want for an expansion for Guild Wars 2 exists? Cause I would sign one in a heartbeat!

I bet like 60%+ of the player base would sign it ……

well at least those who read the forums……..

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Which cuts it down to 2% of the playerbase (give or take 50%). I dont think any online petition is going to sway them in this regard (I also think they would like to do one but dont get the funding greenlit).

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

If only 60% would sign the petition, what percentage would actually buy it. That’s the problem with an expansion, it would divide the player base.

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I have my own opinions as to why we won’t see an expansion anytime soon but I would definitely buy one the day it was released.

(edited by MastaNeenja.1537)

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I would say the game needs a serious revamp before any kind of expansion, one year after and game look old and almost obsolete ( even some 10 yo old mmo’s still better than gw2 , and they were excellent when they made 1year after release), bad organization, it is like dev’s are deploying random ideas or laking of serious ideia.
There are several concepts here that are “borking” the game, the concept of living history is bad by design only becouse the game engine is limiting this concept of live history, that should be reworked before any other expansion, classes design in this game are laughable also compared with the first (and true game) Guild Wars.

a side note
Dividing the player base is better than losing half of the player base, NCSOFT and ARENANET, in my opinion dindt took the futere of gw2 seriously its like is a game to exist only on a period of 3 or max 4 years old.

The game needs to improve in mechanics by alot to face new mmo’s, anyone paying atention in any of the future releases developments know what im talking about.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

webtoehobbit.4201

Which cuts it down to 2% of the playerbase (give or take 50%). I dont think any online petition is going to sway them in this regard (I also think they would like to do one but dont get the funding greenlit).

You think they wouldn’t have the funding to do an expansion? First off, look at Guild Wars 1, an expansion every 6 months to a year, and their in game store was not as expansive as the one in Guild Wars 2. They are making bank off of the gem store, enough to be able to do new content every two weeks. They have the funding to do an expansion, and ANet has even said recently that they haven’t fully decided yet as to how to proceed with content updates, whether they stick with the Living World or whether they do a full fledged expansion, so it’s not a lack of funding, rather, a lack of direction. More than a year after release, I would hope that the company has a clear direction on where they want to take this game…

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I am fine with the living story idea, I think it just needs a bit of tweeks (which hopefully have been in the works and we’ll see before the end of the year).

If everything (well most things) wasn’t temporary, it’d be a great idea.

Relating to the living story, we’ve only got 1 new dungeon path (which replaced one, so technically net 0 content), an invasion every couple of hours (haven’t done one in a long time, so I don’t know if people still go to do them or not), a new map and world boss (both of which on average are unpopulated because of the time/reward ratio being off), a revamped Teq (which again, the overwhelming majority of players can no longer kill, so I’d like to count this as “removing” a world boss for 95%-99% of the player base), a couple of new jps, and some new mini games. And by the end of the year, we should have 3 fractals added as well.

We also have reoccurring festivals, which started before the living story, and from gw1 precedence would be yearly, so I don’t really know if they should be lumped in with the living story. We also have reoccurring areas (such as the bazaar, SAB, and Queen’s Pavilion).

But compared to a gw1 expansion, there really is no comparison (a whole new content ~1/3-1/2 the size of the first game, ~12 new missions, 2 new classes, a ton more skills, etc).

I’m not saying anything new here. But the LS can easily take the place of expansion (as people have pointed out, Anet is clearly making money via the gem shop). I’m not saying a new area has to be added each update. But even if a new area was added every 1-2 months that would start to approach what an expansion would be. There is clearly enough area on Tyria alone to explore, let alone Cantha and Elona. Along with all of the other dragons, or any other villains. I mean we have 5 races, who were each effected by a different dragon, and 3 orders with their own mentalities/strengths to fight them. Even if they rotated on a 4 month cycle, getting closer to another a different dragon each month would be awesome.

Even if it wasn’t focused on those things (which we already know is the case for at least this year, and most likely early next year), I don’t think we need an expansion just to get players interested again. Personally, the LS in its current state doesn’t bother me that much, but more permanent content would be great though.

If you remember back in June Colin said that more perm things were being focused on, but still that takes time. We have already seen more permanent things since then (invasions, Teq changes, TA changes) and will see at least more fractals by the end of the year (again, most of those are changes, not additions, but at least it’s a start). Hopefully, the next couple of LS events will introduce truly new content and not replace something already existed, and that continues into next year.

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

So much time and effort is being spent (wasted?) on pushing out temporary content every 2 weeks, I doubt that we will see something on the scale of a new fully-fledged area of the map next year.

Multiple permanent new zones, a new race and a new class are things that people would normally associate with an expansion. It’s hard to see the Living Story delivering that in the foreseeable future.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Expansion Woes....

in Living World

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The game needs to improve in mechanics by alot to face new mmo’s, anyone paying atention in any of the future releases developments know what im talking about.

To be honest, when I look at the releases for next year, all I see is WoW-in-space, Skyrim which makes you pay $60 for the game AND $15 dollars a month, and a really promising EQ game…which won’t come out until Half Life 3 is out.

Oh, and the other bunch of games which can simply be categorised under ‘Korean’.

@ above its not impossible if they tried. RuneScape has been effectively doing this whole ‘living’ world thing for 12 years, the idea is nothing new.