Explain Dragon's Watch?

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

since it became our mission to take the egg to begin with. yes it rests in tarir under exalted care, but we would be kidding ourselves if you think that we wont have to defend that egg in upcomming stories/missions, or play an intrigal part in its hatching and defense during its vulnerable times. The Devs know the outcome of the story already, and have likely selected names that were fitting for it in specific directions they want to go. but anyway….. there is a connection, whether you personally agree with it or not isnt going to change it.

To Djinn: It most certainly is the primary focus, as i have stated above, we will be tasked with protecting it as it grows and hatches… all of ls2 was about that egg, and i will be surprised if we dont end up doing exactly that.

You are aware that you are contradicting yourself, aren’t you?

snip….

We are not the protectors of the egg, however we will protect it if it does become neccessary (which will be the case at some point, obviously, but that is something for the future).

snip…

So yes. Your scenario might come true. That we will be involved in it’s protection, or that the other names are hints towards future storylines. It would be like calling yourself dragonslayer before you even met a dragon in the first place. A big joke or selffullfilling prophecy (which we allready had with the flameseekers, so i guess that ship is sailed)

cut out the unnecessary parts there… my whole point was what you just admitted to and seem to feel like it is inevitable as I do. We will end up protecting the egg. And yes we call ourselves dragon slayers cuz hey, why not… Zaithan and mordy are dragons we have slayed after all… so no, I don’t think we are self fulfilling any prophecy, as we have already killed dragons.

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

since it became our mission to take the egg to begin with. yes it rests in tarir under exalted care, but we would be kidding ourselves if you think that we wont have to defend that egg in upcomming stories/missions, or play an intrigal part in its hatching and defense during its vulnerable times. The Devs know the outcome of the story already, and have likely selected names that were fitting for it in specific directions they want to go. but anyway….. there is a connection, whether you personally agree with it or not isnt going to change it.

To Djinn: It most certainly is the primary focus, as i have stated above, we will be tasked with protecting it as it grows and hatches… all of ls2 was about that egg, and i will be surprised if we dont end up doing exactly that.

You are aware that you are contradicting yourself, aren’t you?

snip….

We are not the protectors of the egg, however we will protect it if it does become neccessary (which will be the case at some point, obviously, but that is something for the future).

snip…

So yes. Your scenario might come true. That we will be involved in it’s protection, or that the other names are hints towards future storylines. It would be like calling yourself dragonslayer before you even met a dragon in the first place. A big joke or selffullfilling prophecy (which we allready had with the flameseekers, so i guess that ship is sailed)

cut out the unnecessary parts there… my whole point was what you just admitted to and seem to feel like it is inevitable as I do. We will end up protecting the egg. And yes we call ourselves dragon slayers cuz hey, why not… Zaithan and mordy are dragons we have slayed after all… so no, I don’t think we are self fulfilling any prophecy, as we have already killed dragons.

Ehm yeah… it is not invetable.
The dragon egg could be corrupted and we have to put it down, it could be a red hering and/or it could be full of magical power and get into ED mode, without us even doing a thing.

You remember my wording, using the words: “might” and “if”, while I discribed the szenarios.

There are several szenarios where we don’t protect the egg.
Interacting, yes, but not “protecting”.

Thus the reasoning, why these unknown things that might happen in the future (not at this point of the story), don’t really make much sense. That and other things many people have allready said.

Fact is, it is a very random name with a very thin connection to the story and is more liekely to be a GoT analogy, than anything story related.
Again, other languages actually have other names, based on their vote and got the same unexplained reasoning behind it.

There is no real connection to this name. The writers didn’t bother or had the time to think of a reasoning.
That is why it went like that:
“How about Dragon’s watch?”
“Yeah, sounds good, next topic then.”

A name, chosen by two members of the guild, without any consent of the others? It was just a plot point they had to check of their list.

Oh and the dragon slayer part.
I wasn’t talking about us players as the comander, but in general terms.
Someone who has never seen or encountered a dragon, calling himself dragon slayer.
Would you call yourself dragon slayer in the real world?
Or Phone Salesman, without being one?

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

saying “If” “might” or “could” is now irrelevant. you have stated as much by declaring “which will be the case at some point, obviously, but that is something for the future”. it sounds like you are speculating against an idea but convinced of its truthfulness? why fight against it?

I agree with the handling of it, being decided by 2 members and that whole scenario, but it still does not invalidate my reasoning/point.

I may have miscommunicated on the last part about the dragon slayers. It ties directly into what we are doing even if your choice of topic was meant to be an expression of something else. Dragons Watch can mean this, simply cuz we have already killed dragons, and we are likely to kill more… all the while protecting one that’s growing. All facets of our story are tied to dragons. Our first story… kill a dragon, second story… kill another dragon… now third story… kill primordus…another dragon.

I think you and I and everyone else and Anet all know whats gonna happen here. We are gonna protect that egg from primordus so it can hatch and fight against him.

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Evil Seabass.5214

Evil Seabass.5214

Dragon Swatch explained:

Attachments:

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Dragon Swatch explained:

To be fair, that’s a really kittenin’ watch. Kinda want that as a glove skin to wear while I’m fighting the other dragons. As a warning.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’d have preferred the name “Edgecrusher’s Embarrassments” or “Backdraft’s Bums”. Unfortunately, neither of the two greatest characters in the game made it into the guild, so now I’m stuck with a boneheaded bum, a bug-eyed freak (Seriously – her eyes do not fit in her head!), an overrated failure (Who’s achievements include – Failing to kill a dragon, standing idly and watching a dragon get shot to death, and standing by idly), and irritating infant desperately in need of a mute button. Oh, and two other nuisances that at least seem to be dedicated resbots, but otherwise insignificant.

If I were Canach, I wouldn’t want to hang out with us, either. But if he does join later, I hope we can change the name to “Canach’s Commandos”

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

saying “If” “might” or “could” is now irrelevant. you have stated as much by declaring “which will be the case at some point, obviously, but that is something for the future”. it sounds like you are speculating against an idea but convinced of its truthfulness? why fight against it?

I agree with the handling of it, being decided by 2 members and that whole scenario, but it still does not invalidate my reasoning/point.

I may have miscommunicated on the last part about the dragon slayers. It ties directly into what we are doing even if your choice of topic was meant to be an expression of something else. Dragons Watch can mean this, simply cuz we have already killed dragons, and we are likely to kill more… all the while protecting one that’s growing. All facets of our story are tied to dragons. Our first story… kill a dragon, second story… kill another dragon… now third story… kill primordus…another dragon.

I think you and I and everyone else and Anet all know whats gonna happen here. We are gonna protect that egg from primordus so it can hatch and fight against him.

No. It does mean something, because we just asume that we will do it (thats why it is a possibility).

I also highlighted several other possibilities, because the story can still go into another direction.

We don’t know where the story goes, thus calling us that way would make it a self fullfilling prophecy, if the reasoning is based upon us watching the egg/emerging dragon.

It would be nice, if you read further than just the things you need to proove your point and put them in the right context, since I clearly explained what was meant by that.

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

snip…

No. It does mean something, because we just asume that we will do it (thats why it is a possibility).

I also highlighted several other possibilities, because the story can still go into another direction.

We don’t know where the story goes, thus calling us that way would make it a self fullfilling prophecy, if the reasoning is based upon us watching the egg/emerging dragon.

It would be nice, if you read further than just the things you need to proove your point and put them in the right context, since I clearly explained what was meant by that.

ok, yes in the most infintesmal literal way of things yes they do matter. but only for the sake of argument that anet could just write in whatever the heck they want without regard to the current storyline/plot. But thats like saying you are on a hill, and you drop a ball, and it wont roll down hill. maybe the story could go another way, but i would seriously doubt it (0.00002% chance maybe… if your lucky). I did read what you wrote and i understand it. What I dont understand is how you still think its a GoT name, but ive told you how our entire story revolves around dragons. As in EVERY single story leads to us killing dragons. they could have named this Dragon Wars 2 for cryin out loud. I just dont see how you can think there is no tie/connection to the name when our clear focus ofthe game is to kill dragons?!

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Cristalyan.5728

Cristalyan.5728

Watch may be translated as “clock” also. A clock is used to show the time. And if you have a goal, somewhere in the future, the clock shows the remaining time to the moment you wait. By thinking to “Watch” as a ticking clock implacably measuring the remaining lifespan of a dragon can make the name of the guild more epic. Something close to “fate” or “destiny”. I don’t know how accurate my presumption is, but I like this more than the idea of having total uninspired lore writters in ANet’s team.

On the other hand “Dragon’s Watch” is not a very long term name. After finishing the dragons the name will become completely absolete. So, I expect a new guild to raise in the future – and this time I hope ANet will ask the players opinion regarding the name.

But if “Dragon Watch” means what all the previous forum members thinks, then this guild will indeed be involved in protecting the dragonling inhabiting now the egg – the name is a perfect choiche in this case. But after this feat, a new guild will raise – maybe with a new name. (if this is the case, we should expect some sacrifices again – Rytlock most probably. I don’t want to see him dead – maybe he will be promoted to a higher rank in Charr hierarcy and he will have to give up the freedom of fighting in the field. I want to see Canach in this guild. And Caithe – she is the best example of a great shadow warrior: Despite hers questionable deeds in the past we cannot say for sure if she is a traitor / a stupid / an arrogant being or a loyal friend choosing to take care alone of … incomod things in order to protect hers friends).

Explain Dragon's Watch?

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Explain Dragon’s Watch? Simple. Anet forgot they have a large, loyal and creative community who could come up with any number of more suitable names for a new guild… and for free at that! Hopefully when DE 2.0 get themselves killed, we’ll get a chance to offer some suggestions for DE 3.0.