Final battle and trailer almost made me sick

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m just wondering; in HoT, Colin and Mike said there will be boss fights and challenges where you will fail and not succeed straight away. I sincerely hope it’ll be like the good ol’ times where you would truly be defeated at the end boss or some stage in a game and have to start over…

If people are already complaining over certain boss fights and challenges now, I seriously “look forward” to the raging storms that will come when HoT launches.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

If people are already complaining over certain boss fights and challenges now, I seriously “look forward” to the raging storms that will come when HoT launches.

You should’ve seen the Forum after the first Revamp Tequatl try, where the best Groups brought him down to 90%. He was declared impossible after the first failed attempt and the toxicity was raised to a level that even Mordremoth would’ve died from.

in Living World

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

You should’ve seen the Forum after the first Revamp Tequatl try, where the best Groups brought him down to 90%. He was declared impossible after the first failed attempt and the toxicity was raised to a level that even Mordremoth would’ve died from.

Yea, I remember. Then I close my eyes and picture all of those posters playing some good ol’ games back in the days of Atari/Amiga/C64/Spectrum/whatever, heck even some early PC games and still to this day. I just hope Anet remain adamant and won’t budge when the kitten storm comes with people not able to “master” the new masteries as soon as they’d like.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Living World

Walhalla.5473

Sometimes I wish that Anet comments on such " Too kittening hard" Threads and post only “L2P” in this Thread or they ramp this Boss up to the Point of Impossibility for one day as a Reaction ( of course with ingame Mail what has happened ).

Perhaps Anet will bring in NPE 2.0 that will remove any kind of Mastery, introduced in HoT because it’s too confusing for some players xD.

Ok now getting Serious. I have some simple Advice. If you see an Add in a Bossfight that is immune to damage, look at the Area, in Most of the Fights there will be some AOE Field tht gives you a Buff. Try it with the Buff, in 95% of the Fights this will work.
And regarding the AOE Fields. The colors have never changed. Red Cirsle were alwas bad Fields and White Circles something from Allies. The same goes for the Discs aka AOE Field 2.0. Anet has never changed the meaning of the Colors, so it is alway this.
Red: Bad Stuff happening
White: Good Stuff happening

And if you are not sure if an AOE field is good or bad and if you are stuck at some point, just go in and see what happens next. Just as an advice

in Living World

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I would actually like to seem them put forth a truly “impossible” fight when mordremoth first wakes up. Having him exist int he game as a periodic world boss that is truly impossible to beat. Sort of a “there is such a difference in scale between him and us as to be ants fighting a mountain”

Ghost Yak

in Living World

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I would actually like to seem them put forth a truly “impossible” fight when mordremoth first wakes up. Having him exist int he game as a periodic world boss that is truly impossible to beat. Sort of a “there is such a difference in scale between him and us as to be ants fighting a mountain”

I’d like to see a “marionette on steroids” level fight to take down Mordy. Something so incredibly challenging that it requires an army of characters to take him on, not just a few ships. A fight where there are aerial assaults, ground assaults, bombardments, you name it. WE NEED IT ALL

in Living World

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

… (the bit of about divine fire appearing OUTSIDE the arena?….what?)

Oh, I was wrong, absolutely. But, that’s what I thought. I heard Rox say “here, take this”, so I figured there had to be a door or window or something. I could see flashes of my allies through the walls, so I thought I had to somehow make contact. Obviously, I was wrong.

But, the point was I was facing the wall when the first white circles appeared, so I couldn’t see them.

in Living World

Daddicus.6128

… but the content will probably be atleast at this level in HOT if the trailer and the way they have talked about combat and level design in there announcment are any indication. After all. One of the biggest complaints about PvE was that it was simply too easy.

That was my main point about HoT: They made it sound like it was going to be significantly harder than this or any other combat. But, this was basically a frustrating bore-fest: kiting around until you happen to stumble upon the secret. If they’re offering more combats like this, I’m not sure I’m interested.

in Living World

Daddicus.6128

… It was more challenging than other fights in the game for sure, but it wasn’t THAT hard, you were given so many visual and audio clues during it its not even funny.

It’s an easy fight once you discover the secret to killing those snuffers. But, it’s impossible if you don’t discover it. That’s a pretty wide gap in challenge, and it all hinges on one piece of information. Call me dumb, but I didn’t discover it on my own. Could I have? Maybe, if I understood the clues.

in Living World

Daddicus.6128

And if you are not sure if an AOE field is good or bad and if you are stuck at some point, just go in and see what happens next. Just as an advice

You missed orange. Red is always in circles. Orange is always in disks (or other filled-in areas). White WAS always in circles, never disks. Until now.

But, that’s exactly what I did. I stayed alive kiting around for 45 minutes, and then I passed through one. Once I connected that, it got easy (until the snuffers).

in Living World

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I figure this sort of thing is what they have QA testing to pick up on (which I know ArenaNet does do, and probably more so on recent Living Story episodes than at release). Depending on the game, it can be okay to have stages that are difficult to complete, but developers these days generally try to avoid situations where players don’t even know what to do – hence all of those rings – but some things can be more subtle than others, and I can only guess that “not everyone will notice what’s going on with the divine fire” was something that didn’t happen to their testers.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I case of boss fight with shadow of the mordremoth.

It’s been long and my two biggest concern was – braham your buble is failing each time it actually should help.

Rox? you know? you don’t have to hurry with next divine fire – wait a little bit longer so that shadowy things will turn down all the circle I’ve managed to lit :P

about cinematic – I makes perfect sense to me – dude this dragon is assumed to not be fully awaken yet (a little bit sleepy) and already has its tenrdils in Iron marches which is darn far away.

lets compare how the fights with elder dragons looked liek by now:
with zhaitan we had 20 years of stusies over him for our side we managed to starve him a little and we had super-mega-laser-anti-zhaitan beam canon developped

still was tought and lasted long

Mordremoth:
we had…..

BIG FLEET

aaaand…
even more fleet?

ah and we assumed that as hes not yet fully awakened he will not be that strong yet.

crap we didn’t even know his exact location

how anyone would suppose that big area bombardment from the air would be good tactics agains elder dragon we know very little about – but yet we know how fast those tendrils can grow (fort calma? fort concordia? the mere presence at iron marches so soon?)

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Living World

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

My running theory is that Trahearne was corrupted too, and unconsciously-intentionally sabotaged the mission. Probably wrong, but it would explain a lot

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Living World

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

Games shouldn’t need to tell you everything! Part of the fun is figuring stuff out, not sure how the glowing fire circles were missed. It did take me a while to work out how to stop the fire smother things, but the fight was fine to solo, and even easier in a team. Rox needed to throw the fire faster, sometimes it took you too long to get there and it went out, or she threw it in the wrong place. However I guess that is random. The others were pretty useless in helping as well.

in Living World

Posted by: ugdup.2371

ugdup.2371

I did this fight without even getting downed on the first try.

If you ran around for an hour not knowing what to do, i strongly suspect that the problem lies with you, and not the game mechanics.

in Living World

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

I loved the final battle! I teamed with friends and it made it so much easier to do the achievements!

First (story mode) : 5-man team, cleared it without problems (would have soloed it either way if we didn’t go through episodes 4 to 8 in one go with friends).
Second (achievements mode) : 3-man team, cleared 2 achievements on 3 (Rock dodger failed for everyone)
Third (achievements mode) : 2-man team, I dodged rocks in a corner while the other lit the fires, got my achievement
Fourth (achievements mode) : 2-man team, I lit the fire while the other dodged the rocks in a corner (he failed but I had to go, we will retry another time)

It took me 3 runs to get all my achievements without dying. Challenging? Kind of yes. Hard? No. But I want more of fights like this. It was interesting and fun.

Note: Elementalist is really easy, grab Frost Bow for DPS, Mist Form for INVULNERABILITY and Arcane Shield to NEGATE damage for a short while. You can withstand and avoid most that way. Grab an Energy Sigil for more dodges on attunement swap. You can also add that Meat food that gives +40% endurance regeneration if you need.

It was much much more easier than the challenge mote at the end of Episode 7 (the centaur). God was I excited when I finally soloed it after 30 tries! That is what I expect by “hard”. It looked like a Queen’s Gauntlet fight to me and it was awesome.

in Living World

Posted by: ElBuenDavs.3689

ElBuenDavs.3689

I tend to only play on weekends and mostly only on Sunday. Gotta say, the fight wasn’t frustrating as you make it sound. It was challenging but not frustrating. But I can see the issue of having a long fight if you weren’t able to understand game mechanics.

About the buffs/fire you needed: It appears in white AoEs, which is pretty much the basic colour for any friendly AoE which you can interact and make combos fields from. Don’t want game developers to dumb down a basic concept that you had to be acquainted this far into the game. The NPCs would should it out when they were about to throw it. Where you had to go, once again, was in a white/transparent bubble. Again, basic mechanic you should be really familiar to this point. On top of it, the gear signs where placed on each area that still wasn’t clear out. The boss itself, would show AoE mark after AoE mark, so it wasn’t a matter of skill but just anticipate and move around.

It did take me a while to see the small black enemies that kept putting out the fires. They can be lost with all the AoEs popping up and the flour bombs. But still, was easy to see them after a while and understand with simple logic that you had to have the buff to kill them. Since you’ve been using that mechanic to harm the champion so far.

I won’t say: you are a noob. I would instead say: don’t make an angry rant when most can be sum up to not understanding basic combat mechanics.

About the lore, from what you said, I can easily assume you skip through most of it.
To bring done Zhaitan so “easily” we had to:
a) Weeken his forces
b) Destroy his food supply
c) Destroy his “scouts” of the world (Eyes of Zhaitan)
d) Steal / destroy all strong magical items that could increase his power
e) Cripple him as much as possible
f) Learned about him
g) Get some minor-races involve

For the new dragon, we pretty much bypassed it all. We didn’t cut food supply, his minions supply, any items that buffed him wasn’t touched (we just kinda talked about the WP, but it ended in: we got to experiment more), and so on. Since he was just awakening, we went head on before he fully awoke. Big mistake in the end.

It is a hard fight, but not frustrating. Lore wise, read more or re-do it. About checking wiki or other site, I do get it shouldn’t be done, but it is way to much information to keep it in-game only. I rather break a little of immersion than having to heard 20mins worth of dialogue of NPCs treating me like a little kid.

in Living World

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

my ONLY problem with the final boss fight* not cutscene*(Edited) is what happens to the game camera, i was fighting the camera and my stomach instead of fighting a dragon. the fight itself wasnt that hard, got it done on the first time in a few minutes after looking around and seeing what i needed to do(and reviving my dad multiple times! xD). that camera though caused me some trouble…

And i agree, the game shouldnt show you everything, you should have to figure somethings out. this fight was done right, it was not to hard, but at the same time not to easy. I wish this game had more fights like this….

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

in Living World

Posted by: Brightneon.8175

Brightneon.8175

The whole thing is far too long and the dragon is far too powerful. I mean stability is worthless, some hits kill in one go. Then after all that if you manage to get tossed to one of the few blind spots in the relentless attacks, in stage two all the glames get put out. Then hey it takes so long it gets boring and pointless. Then hey get killed in stage 3 and omg you have to do it all over again. I thought the first story had missions that were too hard and too long, at least they useless npcs in some reviewed you or too enought of the damage off you that you eventually killed the dragon. There far too many missions with “parts”. Each “part” should be ONE quest when when done it stays DONE. Plus you at least have fighting change. Not use stability, get knocked over and killed. Plus dragons constant attacks never let up, meanwhile you have to wait for skills to reset. Stage 2 and 3 are nothing more than deliberate frustration to make the few who succeed at it gloat. It suppost be to a game, entertainment, not a deliberate mind wrack designed to raise the level of anger and educe rage in players. But NCSoft didn’t listen in GW, instead of fixing the BS they dumped the game and put out a sequal.

in Living World

Walhalla.5473

This again. First: I’ve not seen one Attack that One Shots you, and I was hit by every attack at least once. So could you tell me which attack kills you in one shot.
Second: The few who secceed it? It’s more the other way. There are only a Few who didn’t succeed it. This Fight is aimed at the Average Skill of the players, not at the Hardcore God Skill Players some seem to think of.
Third: Constant attacks? There are Patterns in the Attacks, learn them and you’ll have no problem dodging his Attacks while lighting up the Fire.

And at last. I you can’t do this, don’t rage, try to learn the fight, the mechanics and its pattern. The fights will only get more difficult in the future and raging about a challenging fight isn’t doing you a favor. People won’t take you serious if you do this. Instead of wasting energy for some rage post you could try this one again.

in Living World

Posted by: Ignigknawt.7869

Ignigknawt.7869

I had trouble soloing this boss, especially once the shadow creatures showed up. Once I came back with another person though, it was no prob. Highly recommend having 1 or 2 extra people.

“Many times I’ve wondered…how much there is to know.”