Free QA for future paid contents?

in Living World

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

So let me get this straight. The living story chapters are now 200 gems per chapter for the players who miss to log in during the 2 weeks period. But does that mean a buggy release is acceptable for the players who get it for free during the 2 weeks?

It is 2 days after the release and the totems events and some other ones are still bugged. The NPCs disappearing and some of the events don’t start. Is that how the new Living Story season 2 will continue to be released?

People defend software bugs and mistakes in programs, but honestly this is unfair for the players who logging during the 2 weeks to play the the contents to deal with so many bugs.

The idea of paid contents was supposed to bring more quality to the table. I guess that is not the case.

Edit: So what I meant by the title was that the players who play during the free weeks basically QA the contents before it goes from free to 200 gems price.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

(edited by Zylonite.5913)

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“It’s free, so stop expecting it to work.”

in Living World

Posted by: blud.8174

blud.8174

That’s not it. It’s the nature of software and game engineering that there will be bugs. They do their best to find them and fix them before release, but maybe certain bugs just become apparent when much, much more people are attempting it.

Anyway, if you want a product that’s totally bug free, then you’re going to have to wait longer than 2 weeks for a release.

in Living World

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

And what do you think we, the players, are doing right now during these first 2 weeks? We are already doing the QA work right now. See all those threads about stuck events and lackluster content or story? That’s the QA. They DO look at these posts, you know. Notice how season 2 is actually permanent content as opposed to that mess that was season 1 temporary content (as many have asked)? Did you notice that they are bringing back some involvement of the Pact for season 2 (as many have asked)?

I think what you really want (and most likely wont get) is to join ArenaNet’s internal testing team and work with their core testing client. They consist of the people who played in the alphas and early betas. If you are not already in it, you probably wont get to be a part of it unless a friend of yours who happens to be in it already recommends you to ArenaNet when they ask for volunteer testers. Maybe the ones currently in it are not doing their jobs as testers very well? I wouldn’t count on it though. I’m sure if ArenaNet wanted volunteer testers, they would send us an email with an offer, because they know there are plenty of players who would love to help test this stuff out.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

in Living World

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Buggy releases are a major turn off IMO. This latest release was sooo bugged was there any QA pre release? And this pay gems after two weeks to access the story is just wrong!
The story around the LS is quite cool but the implementation is a turn off.

As for Anet including content that people have asked for….people have been asking for alot of content outside the LS and this would be more beneficial to the game than some random LS. Who is going back to replay this stuff in 6 months time especially when the open world events will be dead….

Please Anet, feature patch incoming!

in Living World

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Uhm…. Just wait till the bugs are fixed? Its not going anywhere. You logged in and got it for free… forever.

The only Caveat at all is that after the two weeks are up you must purchase the episode to access it if you failed to log in during the release period.

Bugs happen and they are working VERY hard to fix it. You can QA all you want and still have trouble on live. I’ve never played and online game that didn’t have some kind of major bug when new content was released. You cannot possibly test all the outcomes because there is no way to simulate live status.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

in Living World

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

That’s not it. It’s the nature of software and game engineering that there will be bugs. They do their best to find them and fix them before release, but maybe certain bugs just become apparent when much, much more people are attempting it.

Anyway, if you want a product that’s totally bug free, then you’re going to have to wait longer than 2 weeks for a release.

Yeah every, one-year computer science/engineering student’s excuse…

The problem is most of the softwares (including games) do not come with same bugs in every new update/patch etc.

Lets be honest. This game has “bugged event” problem from day -3 to now. It is not a new problem and obviously, since this game is relying on dynamic events, we EXPECT ANet to fix “bugged event” problem years ago. In reality, however, whenever they come up with a “new open world event” patch, we face with same, old never popping events bug (there were times when Three Headed Wurm didn’t spawn for instance).

Yeah, in some point we don’t know what is the problem and its solution, you are right. But for cheezus’ sake! Why should we understand or know coding/softwares/game industry to ask Anet to fix their ancient bugs? (btw I have enough knowledge about computer science). Why can’t some people understand that all we ask is “a fix for the bug that occurs ingame very often”. If they can’t find the reason in 2 years, it is not fault of “new patch every in 2 weeks” idea. It is either lack of care (“dont fix it forever, just fix it to save the day”) or QA in the company (it is a known fact that they outsourced their QA to a third party company)

in Living World

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Thats why most games prior to gw2 have public test servers so that people who are willing to test for free do QA it for the devs so the devs can focus on other things!

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

in Living World

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

It is either lack of care (“dont fix it forever, just fix it to save the day”) or QA in the company (it is a known fact that they outsourced their QA to a third party company)

No amount of QA can ensure a flawless and bug-free release before they hit the main servers. And I’m fairly confident dynamic events do not work as simply as an on/off switch, as stated by an Anet dev.

These issues are indeed proving quite tricky to nail down (it’s not as simple as they simply won’t restart)

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“It’s free, so stop expecting it to work.”

Uhm…. Just wait till the bugs are fixed? Its not going anywhere. You logged in and got it for free… forever.

Well, that didn’t take long.

The only Caveat at all is that after the two weeks are up you must purchase the episode to access it if you failed to log in during the release period.

That’s not the only caveat, that’s just the only caveat you’re choosing to acknowledge. Here’s one you apparently missed. While the content may be available forever, since this particular section of the LS is tied to group events (multiple champions) it’s going to be harder to complete once the zerg moves on.

Here’s another one you’ve missed, and this one is important. If ArenaNet continues to release a stream of content updates that feature game-breaking bugs, people may eventually get tired of feeling like they’re being used as free QA and move on to other games.

Bugs happen and they are working VERY hard to fix it.

Working hard =/= working smart.

You can QA all you want and still have trouble on live.

Sure, bugs happen. But game-breaking bugs? That happens in one of two scenarios. Either ArenaNet is lazy or they’re overloaded. The latter usually happens because of budgets are too small to afford good QA testers, release schedules don’t afford enough time to do quality QA testing, or both. I have no idea why you find any of these possibilities acceptable.

I’ve never played and online game that didn’t have some kind of major bug when new content was released. You cannot possibly test all the outcomes because there is no way to simulate live status.

You can catch a hell of a lot more bugs when you’ve got more than two weeks to actually test the content being released.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“The idea of paid contents was supposed to bring more quality to the table. I guess that is not the case.”

Other MMOs have full price expansions with lots of bugs upon release. Lots of them. Totally fatal bugs. Luckily for most of the player base, there are some hardcore gamers who run through it all non-stop and hit the bugs before everyone else. The bugs get fixed in a couple of days and everyone else is oblivious to the initial problems.

GW2 needs a higher quality level because of the short release cycle, but paid content has nothing to do with it.

in Living World

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I don’t think you understand how the new LS works. If you log in in the 2 weeks, you will get the LS and you can play it whenever you want for free. Log in now and play it in 4 weeks if you want your bug free experience. I’m fine with buggy, but earlier releases.

Glorious Human Master Race

in Living World

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

You can catch a hell of a lot more bugs when you’ve got more than two weeks to actually test the content being released.

They aren’t producing and testing these episodes in 2 weeks. They likely were made months ago. It would likely take two weeks just translate and proof-read everything into all the different languages it ships in.

While the content may be available forever, since this particular section of the LS is tied to group events (multiple champions) it’s going to be harder to complete once the zerg moves on.

Can you even name one event that you can’t easily finish solo, because I sure can’t.

(edited by Nokaru.7831)

in Living World

Phoenixlin.8624

It is either lack of care (“dont fix it forever, just fix it to save the day”) or QA in the company (it is a known fact that they outsourced their QA to a third party company)

No amount of QA can ensure a flawless and bug-free release before they hit the main servers. And I’m fairly confident dynamic events do not work as simply as an on/off switch, as stated by an Anet dev.

These issues are indeed proving quite tricky to nail down (it’s not as simple as they simply won’t restart)

You are just copying only one sentence from my whole paragraph which you wanna answer and ignore the rest.

I’ve already said that “we don’t know the problem and its solution”; however, this game is 2 years old and it still has the same event bug. I can understand that it is not an easy fix. But, come on, there is no such bug that you can’t fix in 2 years.

Edit: They fixed the event issue with today’s patch. I hope it is also a general fix for future events and we won’t see the same, exact bug again.

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

I’ve already said that “we don’t know the problem and its solution”; however, this game is 2 years old and it still has the same event bug. I can understand that it is not an easy fix. But, come on, there is no such bug that you can’t fix in 2 years.

Yet almost all MMOs have quest bugs that don’t get fixed and many of them are subscription game and have longer development cycles.

For example, World of Warcraft had a bugged quest in Ashara that was never fixed and ended up getting removed from the game in the Cataclysm update. There were also other buggy quests that persisted for years prior to the revamp. And every single content release for that game over the past few years has required a week of patches before the major and sometimes gamebreaking bugs were ironed out and this is despite significant testing for months prior to the release.

It is almost impossible to iron out every bug in the game prior to a content release because you just can’t cover every eventuality. You might test an event with every class imaginable, but what if one particular ranger pet causes the bug. You now have to test every event with every ranger pet to iron out the problem. But what if it’s that ranger pet when interacting with a mesmer’s timewarp while someone is casting meteor storm on top of a thief wearing the shadow assassin outfit while she is dancing that is causing the problem.

The point is you can spend months testing something but still not be able to account for all the possible issues that might occur.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Thats why most games prior to gw2 have public test servers so that people who are willing to test for free do QA it for the devs so the devs can focus on other things!

And yet those games still have bugs when stuff is released, simply because

1: Some issues can’t be found with such a small scale of testing (which was most likely the case here, since it seems to have broke when massive amounts of people interacted at the same time. That couldn’t have been simulated in a good way on a test-server).

2: Most people use test-servers simply to get to play stuff before it is officially released, and doesn’t give a kitten about reporting bugs they might fight.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they DO have a testing server, it is simply not available to the public, but rather a selected group of people that can be trusted to do what they are supposed to do.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The problem is most of the softwares (including games) do not come with same bugs in every new update/patch etc.

Lets be honest. This game has “bugged event” problem from day -3 to now. It is not a new problem and obviously, since this game is relying on dynamic events, we EXPECT ANet to fix “bugged event” problem years ago. In reality, however, whenever they come up with a “new open world event” patch, we face with same, old never popping events bug (there were times when Three Headed Wurm didn’t spawn for instance).

Yeah, in some point we don’t know what is the problem and its solution, you are right. But for cheezus’ sake! Why should we understand or know coding/softwares/game industry to ask Anet to fix their ancient bugs? (btw I have enough knowledge about computer science). Why can’t some people understand that all we ask is “a fix for the bug that occurs ingame very often”. If they can’t find the reason in 2 years, it is not fault of “new patch every in 2 weeks” idea. It is either lack of care (“dont fix it forever, just fix it to save the day”) or QA in the company (it is a known fact that they outsourced their QA to a third party company)

Do you have a link or some other official statement about this? I’ve only ever heard about it from posters here. And considering they have QA people on their livestreams sometimes, I’m wondering if I should be impressed they fly them in to take part in teh videos.

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

One small thing is, LS is bounded with the story. If players cannot finish one of the episodes in time due to bugs, story for the next chapter will be incomplete.

Player skipping one episode due to bug may be thrown away from playing next due to pre-determined pessimism, may leave the story progress or don’t understand what’s happening.

Three things that ANet and every developer trying to make some story progression should be terribly afraid of.

And no, watching story summary on yt doesn’t equal playing it.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Phoenixlin.8624

Do you have a link or some other official statement about this? I’ve only ever heard about it from posters here. And considering they have QA people on their livestreams sometimes, I’m wondering if I should be impressed they fly them in to take part in teh videos.

Yeah I have direct information of a current ANet employee:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-ArenaNet-RVW4643540.htm

(also there are other ex or current employees reviews about it too)

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yeah I have direct information of a current ANet employee:

[link]

(also there are other ex or current employees reviews about it too)

You are aware that anyone can write those reviews, right?
I am not saying it is not a (former) employee, but assuming it is would probably not be a good idea.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Phoenixlin.8624

I just posted a review for ArenaNet and it have not published (maybe it will someday). So, you argument is invalid.

Cheezus’ sake -_- What were you thinking while writing that? I posted it just because QA outsourcing. If you wanna say “no they did not do that”, find another link for me.