Good work ANET. What happens next?

in Living World

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

The personal story is a HUGE improvement from last season SO FAR. It does feel a little more personal, and less grindy. However, I still feel like I’m not the hero, just a lifeless husk who follows the “real heroes” around.

What now?

- Let my character speak just like in the original personal story. This is critical to make the game more immersive. I don’t care about the technical limitations, blah, blah… Just MAKE IT WORK somehow! We actually WANT this.
- Have at least 1 dungeon with 3 paths at some point in this season (don’t wait too long). This isn’t asking too much since nothing has been released in almost 2 years. We can’t get anymore patient. And don’t make them TOO EASY, please.
- Rewards suck so far this season (and they probably did last season too—can’t remember). The little midget girl gave me a few scrappy armor pieces for saving her at the end of Entanglement Who cares? I can kill a level 1 deer to get this. Make rewards MEANINGFUL.
- Lastly, remember, a death is only meaningful if that character was meaningful too. Take some TIME to build these guys up before killing them off. Deaths also need to be more dramatic.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in Living World

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Personally, I like not feeling like the hero. I’m not paying attention to the story anyways. I’d rather be a hired mercenary instead, just doing my job. at least that way I’d get paid for all this >_>

that said, rewards have, – as you can probably tell by my post – been pretty bad. I want more unique skins like those that were available last living story.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Living World

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I like being called boss… I really enjoy ANet’s story telling techniques and missions

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Living World

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Anet could seriously take some lessons from the folks who write the FF14 story. It’s still based around multiple characters along with your own but everything that happens in the plot is there because you made it happen. Not because you were standing there when it happened.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Anet could seriously take some lessons from the folks who write the FF14 story. It’s still based around multiple characters along with your own but everything that happens in the plot is there because you made it happen. Not because you were standing there when it happened.

Pretty sure I killed that jotun king, flushed out that Risen Mesmer, and spearheaded the defense of those Priory wimps’ precious library.

in Living World

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Pretty sure I killed that jotun king, flushed out that Risen Mesmer, and spearheaded the defense of those Priory wimps’ precious library.

And yet Zhaitan is dead because Trahearne put the pact together and Scarlet was defeated because a million bajillion heros fought her holograms and you happened to be the only person not grievously injured when her shield fails.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

And yet Zhaitan is dead because Trahearne put the pact together and Scarlet was defeated because a million bajillion heros fought her holograms and you happened to be the only person not grievously injured when her shield fails.

Your point was that ArenaNet doesn’t know how to focus on the player character, I disagreed. Examples of not being focused on to dispute examples of being focused on does not a dispute make.

The impression, and my preemptive thought, I took from the decision for Pact leader was that as a member of one Order you were open to suspicion of being influenced by that Order’s agenda. From Slayer of Issomir and Vigil recruit to Pact commander is a massive leap (if you could call being launched from a cannon a “leap”). Surely my legend (and NPC deaths) doesn’t stop at one of six Elder Dragons.

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually you put the pact together not Trahearne. You suggested it to the head of your order and Trahearne accompanied you. He became the leader for two reasons. He’s an expert of Orr (and we were going after Zhaitain) and he was the only person all the orders trusted. They couldn’t make the leader one of the orders for the obvious reason that it would elevate one order above the other two.

Your argument is like saying that Aragorn isn’t a hero because other people fought at the battle of Helm’s Deep and Gandalf saved the day. But most people see Aragorn as a hero. As the Once and Future King.

Seems to me like people think a hero has to do everything all by themselves.

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

It feels like there have been sooo many movies and shows, comics displaying the importance of the hero not doing everything by themselves, all recently.
I liked to joke that Avengers was Iron Man 3 (before Iron Man 3 came out), but really who can you say was the main hero there.

in Living World

Vayne.8563

It feels like there have been sooo many movies and shows, comics displaying the importance of the hero not doing everything by themselves, all recently.
I liked to joke that Avengers was Iron Man 3 (before Iron Man 3 came out), but really who can you say was the main hero there.

Well yeah even if you say Frodo was the hero of Lord of the Rings, Sam saved his life (in the books) and ultimately he didn’t have the strength to destroy the ring anyway. On his own, Frodo failed. It was, ironically, Gollum who through his desire for the ring ended up destroying it.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well yeah even if you say Frodo was the hero of Lord of the Rings, Sam saved his life (in the books) and ultimately he didn’t have the strength to destroy the ring anyway. On his own, Frodo failed. It was, ironically, Gollum who through his desire for the ring ended up destroying it.

Which makes Bilbo the real hero for having no heart to kill Gollum when he could have.

( . . . what kind of Thief doesn’t do a backstab when stealthed, though? Seriously. )

As for “Best Instance of a Hero Being Reminded They Can’t Do It Alone” – spoilers ahoy

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

I like being called boss… I really enjoy ANet’s story telling techniques and missions

This. Nice improvments on story telling.

And to the OP, WE absolutly DON’T want to hear our characters voices. It’s time and ressources consuming, we want content to play (skins, maps, ….), not cinematics, we have netflix for that.

Edit: improving RNG loot could be a good idea.

in Living World

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

They already said they are actively working on putting our character’s voice back in the game. They want to make it so that the in-world cinematics allow the characters the same facial changes as the personal story had, but without the silly screen where just two characters talked at each other.

They didn’t give a timetable but it’s something they’re working on and not “we’d like to do one day”.

So it’s coming. Just not yet.

in Living World

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

I could see a dungeon opening up with the next update in two weeks. That would be great.

Magummadweller

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

" I don’t care about the technical limitations, blah, blah… Just MAKE IT WORK somehow! We actually WANT this."

I’m pretty sure Anet does not have the budget to bring in all those voice actor’s again.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I can kill a level 1 deer to get this.

No, you cant, the lowest level deer in game that drops loot is level 2.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

in Living World

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

See to me it’s alright getting help along the way in YOUR personal story, it’s natural to be accompanied by other “Hero” type characters along the way, but since it’s YOUR personal story YOU should be the lead “Hero”, it should make it feel like your the one making things happen and saving the day, because as is, as soon as Trahearne enters YOUR story becomes HIS story about his “Wild Hunt” and how you are the pseudo leader of making this happen, when it all reality it’s Trahearne who does the big things, your just given this false sense of “Duty” to make you feel more or less “Important” to the story.

Now I know the living story is not YOURS but I would like to feel like I play a good role in the success of it all, I know full well of others being there, but I want to be able to stand out amongst the crowd, and not just feel like a number.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Living World

Vayne.8563

See to me it’s alright getting help along the way in YOUR personal story, it’s natural to be accompanied by other “Hero” type characters along the way, but since it’s YOUR personal story YOU should be the lead “Hero”, it should make it feel like your the one making things happen and saving the day, because as is, as soon as Trahearne enters YOUR story becomes HIS story about his “Wild Hunt” and how you are the pseudo leader of making this happen, when it all reality it’s Trahearne who does the big things, your just given this false sense of “Duty” to make you feel more or less “Important” to the story.

Now I know the living story is not YOURS but I would like to feel like I play a good role in the success of it all, I know full well of others being there, but I want to be able to stand out amongst the crowd, and not just feel like a number.

Trahearne’s wylde hunt is linked to yours. He needs to purify Orr, you need to kill Zhaitain. He wasn’t even there when you killed Zhaitan. Maybe you weren’t paying attention?

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

It’s high time for another Feature patch, really. They were said to appear every 3-4 months and there’s a deadline ahead.

After that, I would be pleased with new dungeon and no asura inquest.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

" I don’t care about the technical limitations, blah, blah… Just MAKE IT WORK somehow! We actually WANT this."

I’m pretty sure Anet does not have the budget to bring in all those voice actor’s again.

I met the woman who did the Charr female voice at a convention. She wanted $30 for a signed print. $30! (she was kind of a kitten) More money than actual known actors were asking. I bet the voice actors ask for unreasonable amounts of money. And you can’t necessarily go with different voice actors because then you lose your immersion. The actors probably know this too.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: AlphaDelilas.2873

AlphaDelilas.2873

- Let my character speak just like in the original personal story. This is critical to make the game more immersive. I don’t care about the technical limitations, blah, blah… Just MAKE IT WORK somehow! We actually WANT this.

I for one would much rather ANet spend the money on development of the game than on getting the PCs’ VAs back. I’m sorry, but having the PC talk again would cost a small fortune that would be much better placed in making the content better

in Living World

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

The answer is always Hulk.

Also I never notice if my character is voiced or not. The times I actually listen to voice acting in a game are counted on one finger. That was DQ VIII.